UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 6 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've finally restarted exploring after a couple of months away from the game. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find the chart I had that presumably had the name of the system I was looking for :'(

Anyway, after looking at MAIA on the galactic map ages ago, I noticed that the star flickers on and off as you tap the navigation buttons so I searched for another purple-star system that also did that.
I did find one and had hoped to reach it but I can't find it any more although MAIA still flickers despite a couple of game updates since I first tried it; does it also do it for you guys or is it just my set-up driving me potty?

If anyone has found another flickering star on their maps, by all means let me know so I can go explore :)

No pun intended, but that sounds anomalous. Convoy dispersal patterns are another example where threat 1 is a handful of small ships, whereas threat (3?) is the anacondas, vipers + T9s.
Didnt hang around to see what ships they had. Perhaps there was a graphics glitch & some of the mats symbols turned into ships with deployed hardpoints? As I say- I didnt hang around

Btw, how many of you have upgraded your fsd? For my part I now have access to level 3 and have got two ships upgraded. My ASP now has a 32ly jump range.

Havent upgraded yet but that is my intention - better jump, thrusters & shields + some upgraded pulse lasers, then back out to survey the black. Took some exploration data to Felicity & that unlocked level2. Will pop back in with some more data plus the mats & wake data I collected yesterday while bounty hunting at a nav beacon. Think I need polonium for level 3 or 4 drive. Want to get some of the enhanced thrusters on my ImpCourier as well, then pop over to start negotiations with Tod. Does he take bounty credits from minor factions or just superpower bounties? Or is there a nav beacon/res site in his system?

What was your Asp base jump range before the upgrade?

Havent upgraded yet but that is my intention - better jump, thrusters & shields + some upgraded pulse lasers, then back out to survey the black. Took some exploration data to Felicity & that unlocked level2. Will pop back in with some more data plus the mats & wake data I collected yesterday while bounty hunting at a nav beacon. Think I need polonium for level 3 or 4 drive. Want to get some of the enhanced thrusters on my ImpCourier as well, then pop over to start negotiations with Tod. Does he take bounty credits from minor factions or just superpower bounties? Or is there a nav beacon/res site in his system?

What was your Asp base jump range before the upgrade?

I upgraded my Icourrier with enhanced drives, and upgraded the fsd to lvl 2 so now it has 17 ly.

Dirty drives are my next upgrade for this ship and then I'll look at the shield booster.

My asp had 27,6Ly before the upgrade and now has 32ly. I will need to do clean drive upgrades plus the hull mods. At the moment my ASP has the first hull upgrade has the basic hull is a bit fragile when "hard landing" ;)

Someone on the engineer forum has achieved 46 ly upgrade on an ASP. I don't know if he described the build, and he did lvl 5 on a stock A rated fsd

Last edited:
Btw, how many of you have upgraded your fsd? For my part I now have access to level 3 and have got two ships upgraded. My ASP now has a 32ly jump range.

I've had a 4 and 5 upgrade now, but with only enough res for 1 lv5 (chemical manipulators are the res I'm out of, and struggling to find more atm), my range increase was only in the region of 0.2ly.

My build is http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05A5A...c4a0202v62i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Modded asp

Jump range is currently 36.23(38.56).

Think I need polonium for level 3 or 4 drive.

Can't remember what level 3 needs, but it was Yttrium for L4 and Polonium for 5.

Last edited:
I've had a 4 and 5 upgrade now, but with only enough res for 1 lv5 (chemical manipulators are the res I'm out of, and struggling to find more atm), my range increase was only in the region of 0.2ly.

My build is http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05A5A...c4a0202v62i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Modded asp

Can't remember what level 3 needs, but it was Yttrium for L4 and Polonium for 5.

Did you upgrade from 4 to 5 or did you do as the poster in the engineer forum suggested to start from a stock sfd. Now that my fsd is already upgraded, going from 2 to 3 would grant me something between 9 and 14% more. Anyhow I need to do some res hunting for components, and I have no polonium.

So I have a theory Braben said something along the lines to "Winter is coming" and there has been a reference to a "ice age" and it got me thinking, To me it sounds like a hint so what if the next thing we need to find (be it the unknown probe or something else) is on the surface of ice planets? Personally I'm going to go check some of them in the UA shell(if i can find any land-able ice planets) and possibly check Barnard's too.

So I've read a little bit of this and I wanted to give my thoughts, and it could possibly offer a little help to anyone who's wanting to go searching. If I'm saying something that's already been discussed or disproven then feel free to let me know, I don't have the hours it would take to read every post in the 6 incredibly long threads. It seems like the barnacles are likely to be in or around the california nebula and the orion nebula, or barnard's loop, or any of the nebulae in that area. If you look at the symbol on the barnacle it seems to be the pleiades viewed from an area roughly between the orion and california nebulas. If you look at them they're arranged in a triangular pattern with a large area of stars in the center of the triangle. The reason why I think it could be barnard's loop or any of the nebulae in that area instead of the witch head nebula is how distinct the whole barnard's loop nebula cluster looks, and how it can look very different from different angles. I think the first place that should be searched is the california nebula, it's much smaller and has less stars, and it's only a single nebula. Also I have read about someone already investigating and not finding anything, however given the size of planets, unless there's a giant sweep of the entire planet the odds that something could be missed is pretty high. The fact that the first barnacle was found on merope 5c was down to pure chance in my opinion, and someone stumbling across another one in a completely different nebula isn't likely to happen again, at least not within a short amount of time. I know barnacles only spawn on certain planets in certain places on those planets but that's still a ridiculously large area for any one person or group of two or three to find anything as small as a barnacle in. I have done some exploring in the orion nebula and the surrounding areas and that would pose the biggest challenge to any search. I think to find anything in a short amount of time, there needs to be a large group sweeping planets where barnacles are likely to be. It would also have to be done with somewhere between 20-40 commanders to have a decent chance of finding anything. Now convincing that many players to do that is hard, but not impossible. Look at the distant worlds expedition, that was an even more time consuming and even more impossible task that was done. If we want to find anything, we'll need a fleet of good ships, a list of potential planets to search, where to search on them, and most of all a time when everyone can gather and do such a large search. From what I've seen the majority of the playerbase is in the uk so it would probably have to be based around uk time. If anyone organizes a search party like that I'll gladly come along. Also if anything like that has been organized or is currently being organized, I haven't seen anything on it. So to summarize all that, the california and orion nebulae are the most likely candidates for barnacles, the california nebula would be easier to search although would still be difficult, and it would take a large search party and a pretty good chunk of time to find anything. So I leave it to you guys to figure it out, although I'm also trying to investigate when I can. If I find anything worth noting I will post it here. I hope that helps shed some light on this issue.

Did you upgrade from 4 to 5 or did you do as the poster in the engineer forum suggested to start from a stock sfd. Now that my fsd is already upgraded, going from 2 to 3 would grant me something between 9 and 14% more. Anyhow I need to do some res hunting for components, and I have no polonium.

I went from 4 to 5.

So I have a theory Braben said something along the lines to "Winter is coming" and there has been a reference to a "ice age" and it got me thinking, To me it sounds like a hint so what if the next thing we need to find (be it the unknown probe or something else) is on the surface of ice planets? Personally I'm going to go check some of them in the UA shell(if i can find any land-able ice planets) and possibly check Barnard's too.

Interesting thought. Personally, I think he's referring to 2.4 likely being a winter release, but would be nice if I was wrong they're already here.

I went from 4 to 5.

Interesting thought. Personally, I think he's referring to 2.4 likely being a winter release, but would be nice if I was wrong they're already here.
Hmm true it could be 2.4, either way I'll probably go check out some of the planets if it turns up anything at lest it'll be nice(my personal theory is Unknown probes are crashed UA's)

Last edited:

Ah thanks! AFK this afternoon but just booting up. I have Yttrium, but never found Polonium

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

More likely he's a Game of Thrones fan- big threat comes with winter (apparently-never seen it myself)

Edit: yep- motto of House Stark http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_is_Coming_(motto)

Last edited:
PaulR
user-online.png
Competent
reputation_pos.png

Btw, how many of you have upgraded your fsd? For my part I now have access to level 3 and have got two ships upgraded. My ASP now has a 32ly jump range.​

I just upgraded my ASP, the Nostalgia for Infinity. Did a level 4 FSD upgrade - only had materials for 1 try and got near max benefit!

It was previously a stripped down exploration build-out (~34ly range), but now have it tricked out just about max everything - A class shields, thrusters, power, etc. Also fitted it with some beam weapons and a couple missile launchers (you know, for SCIENCE).

And the best part is... got it up to a 40ly jump range even after ticking the ship out!

Now, if only an Engineer could help upgrade my combat, er, Thargoid Negotiation skills.

Last edited:
Utopian Enforcer exploratory mission reporting in.

FD is full of crap. Exploration is dangerous? Maybe in two releases when they actually implement things. There is nothing out here but now locked systems all but completely encompassing the witch and horsehead nebulas. It is ridiculous. Retracting nonsense. I guess eventually there will be things out here that have supposedly always been here despite many people having already explored and found nothing.

This sucks. Came out for the danger and there is nothing.

Explorers, you are still safe. Going to be another release or two before we got ditch everything previously discovered about the Barnard loop area. For now it is off limits....magically and without any reason.

Utopian Enforcer exploratory mission reporting in.

FD is full of crap. Exploration is dangerous? Maybe in two releases when they actually implement things. There is nothing out here but now locked systems all but completely encompassing the witch and horsehead nebulas. It is ridiculous. Retracting nonsense. I guess eventually there will be things out here that have supposedly always been here despite many people having already explored and found nothing.

This sucks. Came out for the danger and there is nothing.

Explorers, you are still safe. Going to be another release or two before we got ditch everything previously discovered about the Barnard loop area. For now it is off limits....magically and without any reason.

I have to disagree with you, explorers are not safe already now, in fact, the canonn is at stake and in danger.

Last edited:
Update to destroyed Barnacles
It seems Soulstah has found an intact 12 spike Barnacle where Chopper reported a destroyed one not 2 days ago!

Chopper 2 days ago...
3t4hq0s.png

Soulstah today...
20160530114722_1.jpg

If it is the case that Barnacles regrow over time, this changes EVERYTHING!

Update to destroyed Barnacles
It seems Soulstah has found an intact 12 spike Barnacle where Chopper reported a destroyed one not 2 days ago!

Chopper 2 days ago...

Soulstah today...

If it is the case that Barnacles regrow over time, this changes EVERYTHING!

That's exactly what MB said a couple days ago, about regrowing Barnacles. ;)

Well, as a Canonneer you can now say "I am the danger", as you are now in a Thread Level 6 :cool:

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Ha ha, I don't know what you need...
I mean, an UA is a piece of alien biotechnology wich we don't really know lots about, who's capable of eating your ship from the inside, and can take out entire stations...
For me the threat level is actually pretty accurate ;)

Ah good point - I guess I just think of them like toxic waste in that sense .... Although if we are picking them up from their intended location and they are defending themselves by attacking our systems .... hmmmm

Lvl 3 FSD range requires:
Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes (2).(Found by wake-scanning high wakes)
Chemical Processors (3)
Selenium (2)
Yttrium (1)
Modular Terminals (1).(Mission reward commodity)
Note that the blueprints are the same regardless of the Engineer doing the upgrade: it is the same for Felicity Farseer as it is for Elvira Martuuk. I don't know if one of them gives better results...
A side-note: In doing some missions to get the item above that requires it, I also found that it's possible to get Polonium as a mission reward - I now have enough for an extra lvl 5 upgrade, once I have unlocked that rank (and got the other materials/commodity). Unfortunately, I have currently hit what seems to be a bug with upgrading thrusters and am stuck at Elvira's base (the upgraded thrusters are in a powered-down state and do not re-activate; I've added what I've found to an existing bug report but until it's fixed I'm not going anywhere).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom