UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 6 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi CMDRs,

i wanted to share a mysterious discovery i made in the Algol system. There is a persistent USS near Algol A 3 containing a ship wreckage, containers with "earth relics" and a npc cobra named "Cetus' Bane" who just stands still and has 2 more earth relics in his hold. He also has a very unique paintjob:

http://imgur.com/ppUwjjh

What i discovered is that he starts jumping away after a fuel transfer. I also followed him but after some jumps later he just stayed still in supercruise.

Maybe this is something interesting to look after. Its defienetly something new wich has been introduced with the latest Patch. I could imaine it is some hint to search the stars of the cetus zodiac or some other rddle.

There are also other commanders who made this discovery, maybe in beta and now dont find it again cos it maybe has moved when the new patch went live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Canonn/comments/4jwww2/earth_relics/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=250547

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=250657

So feel free to investigate this... Me for my part wont go any further with this as i dont have the patience to search all the stars of the cetus zodiac myself.

Cya in space!

Much gold in this one.

- Algol is 'The head of Medusa' in the Perseus constelation.
- The head of Medusa was 'the bane of the Cetus'. Perseus killed the Cetus by showing it the head, thereby saving Andromeda.
- Algol is a famous eclipsing binary system.
eclipsing_binary_star_animation_120.gif

There are some nice parallels to the Kahina/Rift story here.
Cetus is of course also the Leviathan/whale. Who killed it and scraped of it's barnacles??:D

Update to destroyed Barnacles
It seems Soulstah has found an intact 12 spike Barnacle where Chopper reported a destroyed one not 2 days ago!

Chopper 2 days ago...

Soulstah today...

If it is the case that Barnacles regrow over time, this changes EVERYTHING!

If it takes 2 days to regrow, then we aren't going to repair any more stations with MAs!!

Except I dropped into a Degraded Emissions threat 0 yesterday to find a wreck site, dropped the cargo scoop & 6 pirates appeared saying "I can't believe anyone fell for that"; I was half expecting it so just jumped out with minor shield damage

I've seen that happen myself but... when you scanned the site there were no pirates there so it was threat level 0, that doesn't mean the level won't escalate after you enter.

Soontill Questions

My recent activity ... Soontill
If you don't want spoilers – read And Here the Wheel by John Harper first

Where is Soontill?
What are Soontill Relics?

The first question seems like an easy answer… type in Soontill and Universal Cartographics tells us this is it:
zKkbOh3.png
We know that it has been rumored to be an old Thargoid planet and that the Circle of Elite Pilots were supposedly using it as a base before being run off by a bunch of Pirates with fancy military technology.
The location of Soontill was found by the pirates because it was reasoned to be close to Grandmort and the origin of the Circle attack force which traveled (out of its way) through Brohman and Lanaest to reach Delta Phoenicis.
gENqVZo.png
Unfortunatly this locational information does not seem to help find Soontill as far as I can see... And is no where near the "Soontill" identified by UC (Neither it nor Ngurii are close to Grandmort).

The description (abbreviated from the description given by the pirate Robert Gary) upon entering the system is that of a pale purple Brown Dwarf 2AU (998ls) away with a large debris field and “space fog” with a planet hidden inside. And that planet was supposedly turned into a volcanic mess by said pirate.
This does not sound like the Soontill System listed in the UC database (well maybe the 4th planet).

Soontill Relics are a question all to themselves … there is debate as to whether they are real or fake and they are provided to Ngurii by Garry's Reclamations … A company which might have ties to the Garry Pirate clan who fought with the Circle at Soontill.

Galnet Articles: 10FEB3301 18MAY3301

It seems to me quite possible that the system we know as Soontill is the forgery and whether or not the artifacts are real … Garry’s Reclamations might know where the real Soontill is. Unless of course this all an elaborate plot concocted to sell a few fake artifacts.

Sorry I know I'm really now out of touch.

Was just messing around with ED tonight.

• Barnacles are perma-destroyed! :eek: (post above says some intact)
  • UAs are even more beautiful in VR. :eek:
    • Would love to know who actually did the visuals and audio
  • Is it just me or is there new audio woven into the UA sounds, like radio hiss?

My recent activity ... Soontill
If you don't want spoilers – read And Here the Wheel by John Harper first

Where is Soontill?
What are Soontill Relics?

The first question seems like an easy answer… type in Soontill and Universal Cartographics tells us this is it: We know that it has been rumored to be an old Thargoid planet and that the Circle of Elite Pilots were supposedly using it as a base before being run off by a bunch of Pirates with fancy military technology.
The location of Soontill was found by the pirates because it was reasoned to be close to Grandmort and the origin of the Circle attack force which traveled (out of its way) through Brohman and Lanaest to reach Delta Phoenicis.
Unfortunatly this locational information does not seem to help find Soontill as far as I can see... And is no where near the "Soontill" identified by UC (Neither it nor Ngurii are close to Grandmort).

The description (abbreviated from the description given by the pirate Robert Gary) upon entering the system is that of a pale purple Brown Dwarf 2AU (998ls) away with a large debris field and “space fog” with a planet hidden inside. And that planet was supposedly turned into a volcanic mess by said pirate.
This does not sound like the Soontill System listed in the UC database (well maybe the 4th planet).

Soontill Relics are a question all to themselves … there is debate as to whether they are real or fake and they are provided to Ngurii by Garry's Reclamations … A company which might have ties to the Garry Pirate clan who fought with the Circle at Soontill.

Galnet Articles: 10FEB3301 18MAY3301

It seems to me quite possible that the system we know as Soontill is the forgery and whether or not the artifacts are real … Garry’s Reclamations might know where the real Soontill is. Unless of course this all an elaborate plot concocted to sell a few fake artifacts.

I have always expected the Soontil relics to be fakes, but now Elvira Martuuk wants them. She is supposed to be an expert at spotting fakes, so who knows? They might be the real deal.

I have always expected the Soontil relics to be fakes, but now Elvira Martuuk wants them. She is supposed to be an expert at spotting fakes, so who knows? They might be the real deal.

Ya since its the pirates themselves who are probably selling these artifacts I imagine the "relics" could be a mix of real and fake copies... had been kicking this around for a while but when I saw Elvira was interested in them ... I brought her a few in the hopes she would shed some light.

The trouble - for me - with the Soontill investigations isn't so much Soontill not being like it should be but that MANY other important and significant systems aren't as they should be so I have no idea whether it's a fascinating mystery where the real Soontill is or just another improperly implemented system.

I'd dearly love the 2.2 patchnotes to include a section: Lore systems - all planetary bodies now corrected.

Then I'd fly to Prism, look up at the blue watery orb hanging in the sky and be much happier that if there is a mystery to be solved there it's a real one and not a total waste of time

Love the game, but it is one of the bits that stinks.

It seems Soulstah has found an intact 12 spike Barnacle where Chopper reported a destroyed one not 2 days ago!

Chopper 2 days ago...

Soulstah today...

.9 degrees difference on your reading, is that a different barnacle?

what else can happen? There is nothing out here. FD hasn't actually put the danger they talked about in the game yet. So feel free to enlighten about what dangers there are because in the 2000+ ly i've traveled (at a max 17ly a pop) around Bernard's loop since the 2.1 update i've seen jack all. Same as before the release. Hundreds of jumps....nothing to worry about but throttling down for each one.

Side note:

Utopian Enforcer Exploratory mission update:

The Battle Anaconda Morning Star has finally discovered a route it's small 17ly jump range can utilize to penetrate into the nebula and as of 1 hour ago has entered the Barnard Loop nebula. Exploration of the Horsehead nebula is completely impossible as it is entirely permit blocked. But barnard loop is mostly traversable now that the ship has entered nebula space.

In all the jumps around Barnard's loop, two USS's were discovered. Both wrecks. 1 FDL with nothing dropped. The other too close to the star to see. No signs of life or new activity other than the permit blocked systems.

End Mission Update.

That's exactly what MB said a couple days ago, about regrowing Barnacles. ;)

Hmm.. When I first discovered the three barnacles on D3 two were already destroyed when I found them..
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 5.89 -70.95 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/k4hZB6J.png
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 3.31 -70.97 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/mvBa7qD.png
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 4.23 -69.81 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/Ql6hBxd.png
Begs the question.. If we aren't farming them then who is?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

.9 degrees difference on your reading, is that a different barnacle?

Hmm.. Looks like it might be! Different spike placement pattern too!

Last edited:
Hi CMDRs,

i wanted to share a mysterious discovery i made in the Algol system. There is a persistent USS near Algol A 3 containing a ship wreckage, containers with "earth relics" and a npc cobra named "Cetus' Bane" who just stands still and has 2 more earth relics in his hold. He also has a very unique paintjob ...

Much gold in this one.

- Algol is 'The head of Medusa' in the Perseus constelation.
- The head of Medusa was 'the bane of the Cetus'. Perseus killed the Cetus by showing it the head, thereby saving Andromeda.
- Algol is a famous eclipsing binary system.
http://en.es-static.us/upl/2011/10/eclipsing_binary_star_animation_120.gif

There are some nice parallels to the Kahina/Rift story here.
Cetus is of course also the Leviathan/whale. Who killed it and scraped of it's barnacles??:D

Hmmmm this looks really interesting ! Thanks for posting :)

Hmm.. When I first discovered the three barnacles on D3 two were already destroyed when I found them..
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 5.89 -70.95 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/k4hZB6J.png
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 3.31 -70.97 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/mvBa7qD.png
Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 Planet D3. Co-ords 4.23 -69.81 - photo evidence - http://i.imgur.com/Ql6hBxd.png
Begs the question.. If we aren't farming them then who is?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Hmm.. Looks like it might be! Different spike placement pattern too!

Chopper 2 days ago...

Soulstah today...

I'm afraid that these Barnacles are not the same at all!

This is a new barnacle that I guess I stumbled upon while looking for one marked on the spreadsheet to scan!

So, sadly there is no regrowth as of yet that we know of.

This is the new barnacle that I stumbled upon while trying to find one of Chopper's.

http://imgur.com/a/H6GAB

Persistent as far as I can tell and have tested. Has a total of 17 spikes. If someone could validate that'd be great!

One spikes moved...

Old Merope 5C site
6pqtnMf.jpg
Rotate 90 degree clockwise
2F0Nmfv.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking but without any kind of clue other than it might exist in another nebula.... good luck. Without cheating it would literally be impossible to happen upon it. Unlike merope, there have been no alien artifacts in uss's in any system I've been in all around Barnard's loop

Last edited:

Fortunately ua's seem to spawn much less frequently now too

Which reminds me I have not done this question yet.. what is the theory or hypothesis.. UAs are going to Merope from everywhere or are leaving Merope in every direction..? or are they a kind of a shield forming the shell to protect Merope?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom