UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Slarty i appreciate that. i just feel that at the moment the explosion in thread activity havnt seen it move this fast before! is watering down our ability to solve anything at the moment. im merely suggesting we tackle one thing at a time as a group and as the symbol is the latest thing i thought it would be the best place to concentrate our efforts. again im not trying to kill anyone's theories or fun. just thinking of the science.

what direction are you moving on this one slarty?

regards

Please read the first page with M.B. quotes.

It's red...

t6DTY3l.jpg

Last edited:
Looking into this line of thinking some more. To the right of the symbol we all know, there's more "stuff". I've highlighted the pertinent details:

http://i.imgur.com/ROuBIfz.png

Now, overlay this on my previous overlay of the clue on Merope 5, do a bit of scaling and rotation, and you get:

http://i.imgur.com/ssRArCH.png

More and more, this is not looking like a coincidence. Now, what does the stuff on the left mean?

UPDATE: The chevron looking symbol to the left of the "clue" fits the opposite side of the merope 5b orbit and the merope 5 orbit. I didn't do pics this time because it's all getting too busy, but if you don't believe me, try it yoruself.

I logged into game to try and science my quoted theory. Frustration and more questions.

The problem is the Elite Galaxy Online Orrery view doesn't really line up with what is seen in game. Now I understand that orreries in general don't tend to be to scale, and neither is the online viewer. Otherwise we'd have to show planets and moons the size of needle points in an area larger that football fields. My problem is the orientation of the orbits of the planets and moons don't match. Let me illustrate:

MX8g3wk.png

So the above shows the Elite Galaxy Online representation of Merope. I did my best to look down on the on the planetary plane and I took a screenshot of the system, as shown in the bottom right. Then I carefully panned and zoomed without changing the view orientation, and took another screenshot of the Merope 5 star, as seen in the top left. It's a bit hard to see because of the light displayed by Elite Galaxy Online, but the asteroid belt as well as the orbits of Merope 5a and Merope 5b around the Merope 5 star is shown along the same plane as the rest of the planet orbits around the main Merope star.

However, this is not the case in game. Here is another in game screenshot where I positioned myself directly between Merope and Merope 5, looking towards Merope 5:

6dYUHr4.png

Look at the radar, you can see that Merope and Merope 5 are on the same plane and I am directly in between them. Now look at Merope 5 above, with the orbit of Merope 5a shown. The asteroid belt and plane of Merope 5 is almost perpendicular to the line between Merope and Merope 5. Not what the Elite Galaxy Online shows at all. Maybe that's what an Orrery is supposed to do, I don't personally know. But all I have accomplished is to prove that using the Elite Galaxy Online orrery to solve this puzzle is not possible and shouldn't be done.

Another thing I discovered is I could not, regardless of what I tried, get the Merope 5 orbit line to show up. I still wanted to try to fly to the intersection of the Merope 5 and Merope 5b orbit lines and see what happened, but it was impossible because of in game mechanics/bugs.

So now my questions:

- Is the fact I can't get Merope 5 to generate an orbit line a bug, or has the Merope system been altered by FD and Merope 5 isn't orbiting at all? If so, that would be pretty significant.
- I also don't understand orbital mechanics. Merope 6 shows an orbit line around Merope 5, but is shown in the list as being a child of Merope (the main star). The way I understand it, Merope 6 should actually be Merope 5d, and shown as a child of Merope 5.

This is why we don't need hints.

People jump to conclusions based on absolutely no in game observation.

Edit: btw. Not saying this can't be right. But absolute statements like 'we need to' based solely off a dev comment are poisonous to the actual pursuit of the solution.

Indeed. MB is very careful with his wording, plus you have to take the wording of what he was replying to as well. The only thing that can be taken with certainty is that the current 'unknown' mystery is space based.

The reason I asked in case it's not clear to anyone is simply from a game play point of view. Not everyone has Horizons. Not everyone can get Horizons (Mac users). It would be highly frustrating for someone without Horizons to be attempting this, in any fashion only to discover that, days, weeks, or even months had been wasted.

Last edited:
I really wonder if we need to find free floating, "in the wild" Unknown Probes to get a good basis for our theories. Where they are located would give us another clue to what they are doing I think. I also wonder if the UAs are still relevant to the mystery? We seemed to hit a dead-end after the ship scanning. Maybe there was another step that would lead us to the UP and we just missed it completely?

As Michael Brookes says, we need to search in area of Pleiades (seven sisters).

But no one answer the question why UA activated by D-Scanner? DScanner have same technology? And how UA purposed to be probe if it is not have any engines and can't fly/warp around universe.

Please be careful.
MB never said that. What he said was long before the UP, only related to Barnacles, and that some of them have been hand placed in the Pleiades.

I logged into game to try and science my quoted theory. Frustration and more questions.

The problem is the Elite Galaxy Online Orrery view doesn't really line up with what is seen in game. Now I understand that orreries in general don't tend to be to scale, and neither is the online viewer. Otherwise we'd have to show planets and moons the size of needle points in an area larger that football fields. My problem is the orientation of the orbits of the planets and moons don't match. Let me illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/MX8g3wk.png

So the above shows the Elite Galaxy Online representation of Merope. I did my best to look down on the on the planetary plane and I took a screenshot of the system, as shown in the bottom right. Then I carefully panned and zoomed without changing the view orientation, and took another screenshot of the Merope 5 star, as seen in the top left. It's a bit hard to see because of the light displayed by Elite Galaxy Online, but the asteroid belt as well as the orbits of Merope 5a and Merope 5b around the Merope 5 star is shown along the same plane as the rest of the planet orbits around the main Merope star.

However, this is not the case in game. Here is another in game screenshot where I positioned myself directly between Merope and Merope 5, looking towards Merope 5:

http://i.imgur.com/6dYUHr4.png

Look at the radar, you can see that Merope and Merope 5 are on the same plane and I am directly in between them. Now look at Merope 5 above, with the orbit of Merope 5a shown. The asteroid belt and plane of Merope 5 is almost perpendicular to the line between Merope and Merope 5. Not what the Elite Galaxy Online shows at all. Maybe that's what an Orrery is supposed to do, I don't personally know. But all I have accomplished is to prove that using the Elite Galaxy Online orrery to solve this puzzle is not possible and shouldn't be done.

Another thing I discovered is I could not, regardless of what I tried, get the Merope 5 orbit line to show up. I still wanted to try to fly to the intersection of the Merope 5 and Merope 5b orbit lines and see what happened, but it was impossible because of in game mechanics/bugs.

So now my questions:

- Is the fact I can't get Merope 5 to generate an orbit line a bug, or has the Merope system been altered by FD and Merope 5 isn't orbiting at all? If so, that would be pretty significant.
- I also don't understand orbital mechanics. Merope 6 shows an orbit line around Merope 5, but is shown in the list as being a child of Merope (the main star). The way I understand it, Merope 6 should actually be Merope 5d, and shown as a child of Merope 5.

From what I can see Merope 5A may actually be what we are looking for or at least should search on for anything related to the current puzzle.

Hello Mr Brooks...

Would I be correct in assuming that this is a little bit more complex than honking? Perhaps the majority would have to learn something?

o7.

This is why we don't need hints.

People jump to conclusions based on absolutely no in game observation.

you mean the same as "the key" in the news letter

That too.

Seriously. I hold back on a lot in this forum because i don't believe in baselessly shutting down speculation with no proof of my own to show otherwise. Unfortunately i rarely see the same philosophy shown by others, but whatever, different strokes, different blokes.

But every time MB pops his head in here (which is entirely appreciated)

This.

Happens.

Every.

Time.

Mr brooks, Mr brooks! Please inundate me with hints!

MB said this which I've vaguely interpreted as something which i have no other way too prove. It must be fact!

No that theory isn't right, MB said something which i can't actually quote and link anywhere (because it never actually got said) so you're wrong!

Everyone's heard me rant that this stuff is indicative of the need for more tangible ingame leads to follow, no matter how vague, and the UP is a great example of this in action and FD deserve high praise for it.

But seriously. Demanding hints and complaining that we haven't solved this after a *week*? What the actual...

Edit: this is not meant to sound critical of fd or mb. They've done real good on this one and as i said, they deserve a lot of praise. The community shouldn't spoil it with this stuff.

Last edited:

Thanks for that.

but this is over complicated for just focusing on the UP,s symbol. a lot of things that can confuse deciphering the image. im working on my own therior but its incomplete and i dont want to water down this thread anymore.

Great work everyone by the way especially to rizal for keeping the front page so well in check and finding time to have a job and life as well.

Some suggested that our 2d image from the UP should be read as 3d image here is my bad attempt at doing that.

http://imgur.com/a/rRtSb

I see this as quadrant of merpope 5c and we need to line up our ship by using the 2 lines on the left with some obvious land mark or celestial object

Last edited:
Hello Mr Brooks...

Would I be correct in assuming that this is a little bit more complex than honking? Perhaps the majority would have to learn something?

o7.

I do hope you aren't inferring the need to learn sound / image manipulation. I personally feel out of game clues and tools should be kept to a minimum.

Has anybody tried dropping a UP and / or UA into the crater of Merope 5 C?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that in light of MBs recent post about the UP and UA being space based puzzles, there may not be a need to take them planet side.
It's possible we already have everything we need from them now.
There are still tests to try though. Since they understand Morse I'd try signaling the one message understood by most. SOS. Either with short blasts on the scanner or by flashing ship lights.

Edit, also, if it is Morse in the picture, it would be worth signaling the letters RUWD to the probe. If they weren't so damn rare and I wasn't a few k ly outside the bubble I'd try myself.

Last edited:
That too.

Seriously. I hold back on a lot in this forum because i don't believe in baselessly shutting down speculation with no proof of my own to show otherwise. Unfortunately i rarely see the same philosophy shown by others, but whatever, different strokes, different blokes.

But every time MB pops his head in here (which is entirely appreciated)

This.

Happens.

Every.

Time.

Mr brooks, Mr brooks! Please inundate me with hints!

MB said this which I've vaguely interpreted as something which i have no other way too prove. It must be fact!

No that theory isn't right, MB said something which i can't actually quote and link anywhere (because it never actually got said) so you're wrong!

Everyone's heard me rant that this stuff is indicative of the need for more tangible ingame leads to follow, no matter how vague, and the UP is a great example of this in action and FD deserve high praise for it.

But seriously. Demanding hints and complaining that we haven't solved this after a *week*? What the actual...

Too many people devote a large amount of their free time to this, then get very, very frustrated after just a couple of days trying to decipher the puzzle. When they get really frustrated they start to get very demanding and angry. Then they turn that on the forums and elsewhere begging for hints from MB, as you said. Most don't seem to understand that taking a step back is how you solve a puzzle. Be patient and calm and pay attention.

This isn't a solve in a week kind of mystery. It never has been.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom