Multiple Commanders Linked to One Account : 'Toons

Would you like multiple Commander Slots per Account?

• Yes

Votes: 257 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 21.7%
  • I am Obsidian Ant

Votes: 31 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This will be both a poll, and a question towards Frontier.

Why can't we create multiple Commanders on the same account, Frontier? You've changed the 'new game experience' so much from when I began playing (just after launch) and I will never experience it, unless I completely delete 'Brimstone AVM' and start a new life, or buy a whole new account with a different e-mail address with Horizons included. New players have the option of starting on a planet surface, or a starport (from what I gather) not to mention the new player experience has been tweaked a bit as well. I want to taste that feeling again, starting out in a Sidewinder with only 1000 credits to my name, and put the experience I have towards a fresh and new beginning. At the same time, I don't want to dump everything I've achieved as 'Brimstone AVM' because I have achieved so much.

I payed for this game, and Horizons with the loyalty discount. $60 for the base game, and then $45 for Horizons. 105 smackaroos, for just one commander experience.

Now, let's look at a few free-to-play games. Star Trek Online, where the only paid content is premium ships, allows you to create atleast 3 or 4 characters, with more' character slots' being a purchasable item. You get to experience all of the content in the game.
Path of Exile, another *very* great free-to-play game, allows you to make tons of characters, with the only paid content being cosmetic items, additional bank inventory, and other things. You can experience all of the content in the game without having to spend a dime.

Hell, even Battlestar Galactica allows you to create as many characters as you want, all you have to do is make a new e-mail now and then.

Now, I am not asking that Frontier turn Elite Dangerous into a free to play game. That is not what I personally would like Elite to become. I am asking for the ability to create multiple commanders, so that I may play different experiences, under different names. Maybe I can make a pirate. Maybe I can make a total RP character and nerd out. Maybe I can just be an Anoos and kill people.

Look, I already paid a ton of money for this game, more than I've ever spent on any other game in my life. But most games that I've played before, they allow you to have multiple 'saves' or multiple characters. It depresses me that this game doesn't allow this.

So here is where the poll comes in.

Would you like to have multiple Commanders to one account?

TLDR: Other games let me make multiple dudes. Why can't I make multiple dudes in Elite without paying more money?

Edit: This is Obsidian Ant: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiq6FTXiFKQm-wqMuRijgA
He is a Youtuber for Elite, and he has multiple accounts doing multiple things. There was a joke where he makes up most of the player base, because he plays the game so much, and stuff. He's and awesome guy though, and godbless him for his contributions.

Last edited:
What's an Obsidan Ant? I want to know if maybe I qualify for that poll option.

Last edited:
Who is this 'Obsidan Ant' character, does Obsidian Ant know about him ;-)

Ahhh now it's corrected to say Obsidian Ant

Last edited:
I'd like a second character to be an option, even if it's monetized and you have to pay to add "slots" to your account.

I'd like a second character to be an option, even if it's monetized and you have to pay to add "slots" to your account.

I'm down with this as a compromise.

I would love to have a second account to do the "new player experience" again....but right now the only way to do that is to delete my old save.....which means I have to unlock all the engineers again.....LOLNOPE.

Edit: I don't mind paying for paintjobs, it helps support game development. This option could also support game development.

Last edited:
You guys would really pay money for a second character, after you've already payed so much for the game? I don't understand that, I'm sorry. I could understand it if you wanted to make more than 3 or 5 Commanders though, like you are paying for additional 'slots' like another game does it, but to outright pay for one additional slot just seems like way too much money.

It would make sense to have different commander slots, even if monetized. I wouldn't mind having about three commanders. I wouldn't want more though. I feel like it would lead to too many experimental and expendable commanders flying around.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
While I seem to remember that Frontier answered the question of additional slots in a recent stream (in the negative), Sandro posted this (in the Private Backers Forum) quite some time ago:

Hello Private Backers!

Your flurry of activity has indeed, worked! Here's our current thinking. Remember of course, that all usual caveats apply; this is not set in stone - we might change our mind.

So, current thinking is to have a small number of characters available per account. Say perhaps three normal characters. These can be "normal" commanders or "perma-death" commanders. Only one could ever be active "in-game" at a time and there would be no concept of links between them (so no shared stash, or reputation ties or any such stuff).

Our reasoning so far is as follows:

* More than one person can have a commander, so family members can get in on the act (of course, to play at the same time you'd need two accounts, but this is still - I think - a benefit. Personally I like to think that multiple commanders allows additional players to dip their toes and hopefully progress into obtaining additional accounts.)

* Player choices in-game can be more about the specific commander, reducing the worry that a bad call will ruin everything achieved so far. This is actually quite important; I want to train people away from the idea that there are "right" and "wrong" ways to play Elite: Dangerous. There are just choices and consequences, and we're trying to ensure that all lead to more fun. I want to remove barriers to player experimentation, whilst retaining consequence; I think multiple commanders helps this cause.

* Any potential exploits for multiple commanders almost certainly exists the the multiple account level as well, so limiting an account to one commander would not save us the time and effort of guarding against multiple commander exploits.

* Any serious player infractions (exploits and cheating, player abuse etc.) would always be dealt with on an account basis rather than at the commander level.

* Multiple commanders allow a player to have multiple roleplay options available at the same time, which could be very useful (e.g. I have a scoundrel pirate and a legit trader available depending on my mood, which friends are online etc.)

* I don't find the terms "main", "alt" or "toon" particularly useful in what we are creating. Whilst at a basic level you could certainly argue that the commander with the best current gear/most money/best contacts is your "main" there are no levels - that money can be lost, the gear can be broken, powerful friends can become deadly enemies.

Now this is not to say that we are casually dismissing potential dangers of multiple commanders. We are and always will be on the look out for exploits and activity that undermines the experience (the "cheapening" effect is a valid concern we have considered). But at the moment, we feel a more compelling argument can be made for multiple commanders.

I hope this gives a clear enough picture of our intentions as they stand currently.

Last edited:
You guys would really pay money for a second character, after you've already payed so much for the game? I don't understand that, I'm sorry. I could understand it if you wanted to make more than 3 or 5 Commanders though, like you are paying for additional 'slots' like another game does it, but to outright pay for one additional slot just seems like way too much money.

Yeah.

I don't think I've spent that much on the game, really - not considering the number of hours spent on it. Sure there are plenty of commanders who feel that way.

I'm sure lots of people just pick up a second copy when it's on offer (for like £10), and just log in to a separate account to play with their alternate commanders - and I've been tempted myself (I'm sure this is what Ant does).

I would genuinely pay a little to add another commander on to my account, to save all the faff of logging in/out.

Yes, I think the Path of Exile model would work best. A couple of free commander slots with the option to buy more. Personally I would be more than happy with just 3 free commander slots.

I recently bought a second Horizons CMDR when the sale was on, it was about 25% off.
That's good value, no need for second slots in my opinion.

I think we had a couple of those threads in the past and I am still in for multiple Commander slots.
For me it can come at an additional fee as well, but if its for free, I won't refuse to use it.
Main thing for additional slots is to separate them fully. So each one gets its own set of assets
(Money, Rank, Reputation, Ship, Location,....)
I will love it for sure.

Regards,
Miklos

While I seem to remember that Frontier answered the question of additional slots in a recent stream (in the negative), Sandro posted this (in the Private Backers Forum) quite some time ago:
3 Commander slots sounds absolutely reasonable to me!

I didn't know that Sandro had said this. I wonder know, why it hasn't been implemented.

Yeah.

I don't think I've spent that much on the game, really - not considering the number of hours spent on it. Sure there are plenty of commanders who feel that way.

I'm sure lots of people just pick up a second copy when it's on offer (for like £10), and just log in to a separate account to play with their alternate commanders - and I've been tempted myself (I'm sure this is what Ant does).

I would genuinely pay a little to add another commander on to my account, to save all the faff of logging in/out.

I bought the game at full price, and then Horizons when it was being sold with a 'loyalty discount' for those who already owned the game. Otherwise, at that time, people who didn't already own Elite Dangerous could buy Horizons and get the full game plus the expansion. Later on, the 'season' model was dramatically changed and heavily discounted along with the base game.

My point is, with this thread, that I've already paid money for this game. Why should I have to pay more just to enjoy a new experience, without destroying my current character?

Yes, I would like a second commander.

Off the top of my head, I can think of some uses I could put it to:
1) a pew-pew commander for when my main is out exploring.
2) a way to use the rebuy screen that I'd be happy with. Play the second one until the first is 'rescued' in a sensible time.
3) have one in (self-)Ironman and the other not.

I've been considering buying a second account (when it's on sale), so to pay an equivalent would be ok for me.

Top Bottom