News David Braben Live Chat Thread (5th June)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's fine, no need to stress. David will answer as many questions as he has time for. Hopefully there'll be future sessions as well.

Michael

Thanks Michael. In that case can we please have David answer questions from the original thread instead of this one? Late arrivals post petty questions here and original very interesting questions get skipped?
Thanks in advance.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Kroenen - "David - Is there any timescale on when we might start expanding past the 5 systems we have now? I'm sure many if not all are eager to start testing more procedural generated aspects."

This expansion will be gradual. More are coming, but we don't want to go too far too quickly, as we test out the systems.

*snip*

Moving around your ship feels a little pointless on its own, but when it comes to getting out of your ship, boarding other ships, having other players on board your ship, it becomes a lot more interesting - and this feeds in to Station and Ship exploration.

*snip*

And planetary exploration? Will you be transplanting what Frontier had worked on for "The Outsider"?

I am very interested to hear more about the planetary landing. What is planned? How much detail will there be on the planets? Are they going to be limited in any way?

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Trying to answer all the questions is like drinking form a fire hose...

On the padlock view - no, I think it interferes with too many things - but that's not to say something like it couldn't be on a sub-screen (which is how we'd do a rear view anyway).

Please don't do that - we have enough commander names that suck already - I'd rather not have things with sucky names that I can't put on ignore or escape from other than by playing offline!

I agree - I think an explorer or surveyor could get a mention in the system information as being the first person to discover such and such system, but leave the naming rights out of it in my opinion.

He's there been any thought to having a loot system similar to Diablos, where you can salvage guns of varying stats from destroyed or abandoned ships?

So say some skilled mechanic has invested a lot of time in improving their lasers and now they have a slightly more efficient cooling system, but consequently lower range (you get the point).

It does a lot of good for increasing the longevity of a game by making the random generation slightly more significant, so I hope something like that is on the cards?

Thanks for the great game though!

Thanks David for taking the time and congratulations on finally getting round to this game. It's the big one a lot of people have been waiting for. I hope you're giving the sound department the praise they deserve as well as everyone else on the way things are coming together.

Kroenen - "David - Is there any timescale on when we might start expanding past the 5 systems we have now? I'm sure many if not all are eager to start testing more procedural generated aspects."

This expansion will be gradual. More are coming, but we don't want to go too far too quickly, as we test out the systems.

My question is related to this. Do you think that 400 billion Star Systems in the game is perhaps too ambitious? I'm just a bit skeptical, considering that only five are available, even though it is early.

Also, when will missions be added or other options to earn more money than farming bounties?

Lastly, any hints as to when the next major update will be released and what it will include? :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom