ROLEPLAYING - Introduce your Commander

I'm an RPG nut, and for a break from endless speculation about mechanics and bickering about griefing, I'm interested to see who the various Commanders out there are.

My guy is Maximus Dogface, former Imperial fighter pilot and currently itinerant trader and drunk.

Born on a planet he described as "Just another agri dirt farm." to parents he lovingly knew as "simple, peasant scum", he was seperated from his family at a young age by his "recruitment" into the Imperial Navy, The young Dogface was at best a reasonable pilot, but was an excellent Imperial. His loyalty to the ideals of the Empire and his hatred for the Federals impressed, sometimes even scared his most zealous superiors.

In actions across the Empire's borders over two decades, he took great joy in bringing the Empire's own brands of "Civilsation" and "Justice" to the backwards people of the Frontier.

After years of success, suddenly everything changed when he was posted to a small agriculural system to put down a revolt, just like dozens of previous border squabbles and insignificant civil wars.

Little is known about the engagement, as Dogface was the sole survivor from his entire attack wing. What was known was that the planetside defences and dinky little trade ships that could be mustered for colony defence were of no possible match for a fully loaded wing of Imperial Eagles. It was also known that many civilian ships managed to escape the blockade before the Dreadnought Temperance arrived and reduced the planet to a lifeless rock.

Dogface had watched the bombardment during his court martial without a word. He didn't speak when they.stripped him of his rank, or when the sentence of death was passed. He retained his silence right up until his prison transport, coming out of what would be his final jump, was interdicted by a Cutter, who turned out to be a Federal Privateer.

The ship was boarded, and captured. The Cutter's Captain offered the prisoners amnesty in exchange for joining her crew. Dogface spoke for the first time in weeks- "No." After reading Dogfaces' execution orders, and the court martial files, the cutter captain.was inclined to believe that he represented more trouble than he was worth and.cut him loose in a battered old Sidewinder.

Dogface found his skills in high demand, and after falling into some mercenary work in the Federation - Eranin conflict he drifted from station to station, trading, fighting, and drinking until the memories of those who died under his guns went away for a while.

Now he just wants some peace. The Federals, the Alliance, they couldn't be trusted. And the Empire.would kill him as soon as he dropped out of witchspace.

Maybe he could find his own place. Or buy it. Or find that Cutter Captain and thank her, which he hadn't at the time. Suddenly he had a whole galaxy to play with.

Or maybe people can't change.

Blimey, bit darker (and more clichéd) than I'd intended. Ok, he also likes walks on the beach and hates pandas.

Anybody else like giving their Commander a backstory?

Last edited:
Commander Rogue Charles Konstantine James Daniels, son of Commander Pete Daniels.

Rogue Daniels was the typical son of a deep space freighter pilot. He grew up with his father mostly gone from their little home in Olympus Village on Mars. Once he was older, he was taken into an "apprenticeship" with his dad, helping him with flying the old Lanner.
Rogue was given a few credits and a small ship for his 23rd birthday and was told by his father "go out there and experience the Universe.

As a roleplayer I prefer to have my characters start with a blank, common background, preferring to make my mark in game instead my imagination.

I get where you're coming from. Having the a clean slate that you change by your actions in game can be a lot more immersive.

If we do get three commander slots, one will certainly be in that style. It's more inkeeping with the Elite ethos of start as no-one and make your mark.

Problem is, I'm just a sucker for a cliché ridden origin story.

Hi Eddison

I haven't revealed my commander name but I do have a background bio ready.

She was originally from a wealthy family and had endured endless lectures on "preserving the Jameson name" and how to behave in society. The Federation of Pilots had standards and expectations and if you wanted to get anywhere in the Galaxy you had to be a member.

Something wasn't quite right with her though.

After years of petty crimes and a drunken misadventure with a local boy her dad regrettably had no choice but to throw her out. His ID card had been linked with the purchase of some illegal narcotics but at the time he was off world. The police were bribed of course, money could buy you anything these days, but for him the shame was too much. Knowing it was his daughter she was confronted with a choice - rehabilitation or leave.

That's when she met Paul - a handler from the underground.

ED Starting option : Pirate - 100 credits and an upgraded stolen Cobra Mk III :D

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
That's a really nice backstory, 'Dogface'! You might really enjoy RPing with us in the Thargoid and Fer de Lance Bar thread!

(http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4577)

My character that I've played in the Thargoid for a long time now is exiled Imperial princess Miyako Jenner. The Emperor's womanizing brother had an affair with the wife of an Imperial merchant and, despite the prohibition against siring any female heirs he allowed the pregnancy to continue in order to make his mistress happy.

Despite being illegitimate, Miyako was accepted by her step father and raised in the minor nobility of his family. The Imperial Court never formally acknowledged her lineage.

After reaching young adulthood Jenner's house was betrayed by a rival merchant family and her mother, father, and upper lieutenants were all captured & spaced by pirates. Her family's assets were seized and Jenner herself was sold into (illegal, forced) slavery on the borders of Imperial space.

At a remote refueling base Jenner served her master by helping repair and refuel passing merchants and explorers. She showed a natural talent for mechanics and starship repair. After several years of being a slave her master emancipated her, giving her a beat up old Eagle and sending her on her way.

After wandering the Empire and Federation for a time as a small-time trader and hired gun Jenner found herself at Barnard's Star and found a new home and a new life as a repair shop owner and part-time trader at the station.

(I even have a House Jenner symbol in my signature that I whipped up for her. :p )

jennergrease.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I got to ponder this one too. All I have is my name reserved, but I got a month before Standard Beta starts, so that might be enough time. :D

Rude. Maybe I'll start a.poll when there's a few in. Possibly have a prize of some kind.*

*Disclaimer - Prize will have no value, monetary or otherwise in this or any other universe.

I get where you're coming from. Having the a clean slate that you change by your actions in game can be a lot more immersive.

If we do get three commander slots, one will certainly be in that style. It's more inkeeping with the Elite ethos of start as no-one and make your mark.

Problem is, I'm just a sucker for a cliché ridden origin story.

Yeah, In my other roleplays I have quite a few characters who would be arrested by any cliche-police and maybe sued for plagiarism by some authors. Especially that one very first character that I ever played online in '96.... He's still my favorite though.

@Liqua - Love the idea of a rebellious young Jameson. Putting a bit of edge to the grand old name. Can't wait to find out a little more closer to the big reveal.

@Jenner - Nice. Got a bit of everything in there with a little redemption as well. It's details like this that make a universe breathe. Commander Dogface may well pop down to the Thargoid and Fer De Lance for a couple, if he can find time between moping and being gruff with people. He might even share the secret of how he wound up with such a daft name.

Great idea for a thread!

I was born on an obscure fringe world, a agri-colony so deplorably destitute and declining that the first generation inhabitants had not yet bothered to name it.

For years as a child I watched my parents cultivate the sodden fields, trying to coax life from the latest candidate seed. Striving for season upon season, seeking for a crop that would thrive in the alien soil of their oft regretted new home.

That was before the Federation scientists came to help. Before they brought their laboratory, and their chemicals. Before the food supplements we blindly accepted. Before we became their unwilling test subjects. Before the madness. Before my father murdered seven of his friends in an impossible blink of an eye.

Then the soldiers came. They came in the night, rounded up the colonists and slaughtered them all. Clearing up after their failed experiment. The only way to eradicate the insidious tiny robots they put inside us.

Only I escaped, the last of my colony. The rage wells up inside me at times, I can feel the power within rising, swelling into loss of control.

I fight them, my tiny robots, fight the fear, push it within, and become calmness itself. Mostly. Sometimes the rage overcomes me, I don’t feel, I dare not feel, I slip away. I spectate.

Those are the bad times.

I will find those responsible and one by one I shall show them. I’ll show them! The lab rat has returned and your blood shall flow. I swear this, or am I not worthy of the name my parents gave me. Yan.

Last edited:
Sorry, slipped into late 90's slang for a.sec there. Quick translation Rude = Jolly Good!

Reminds me of my nephew who calls things "sick" when he means it's great! :eek:

I fight them, my tiny robots, fight the fear, push it within, and become calmness itself. Mostly. Sometimes they command me, I don’t feel, just do. I spectate.
Federation scientists tinkering with AI mind controlling robots - does that fit in ED Lore ? (Good bio otherwise)

Last edited:
Sorry, slipped into late 90's slang for a.sec there. Quick translation Rude = Jolly Good!
Oh! OK. Jolly good. :D

I do like role-playing, and hope to do so in-game (especially with future expansions), I just have no seriously thought about my character yet (seeing as we're super-glued to our seats at the moment... Hmm, there's got to be a story there...! ;)).

Federation scientists tinkering with AI mind controlling robots - does that fit in ED Lore ? (Good bio otherwise)

The are malfunctioning super soldier enhancing type nanobots. No AI involved. It's the uncaged animal within us all he is left spectating. I've cleared it up.

+1

Thanks!

Last edited:
Which character? I have other questions, but that feels like the most obvious one.

The one in my avatar ofc!

His name was Captain John Stark, a Peace Officer for the FVPF. A fair man, according to his official bio, but equally convinced his way was best. He never had much time for romance and many were surprised when he fell for Sarah Maddocks. He was friends with Howard Courtenay and Karl Rudzinski and his main attributes were his morale, energy, alertness, endurance, stamina, sharpness and driving.

All of the above was true until I accidentally ran him over while chasing a new smell I had found coming over from the other side of Fox Plateau.

In his honour, I skinned him and now wear him when its chilly.

Top Bottom