Myth Busting: Does "Blocking" Another Player Stop Them Instancing With You?

Vermill

Banned
Another exploit thanks to which pvp will be dead for good. People will be blocking others during interdiction...

Its not an exploit. Its part of the games mechanics and as I am led to understand, functioning how FD intended. Why is everything an exploit?

Although I do agree that its not great. Shouldn't have to do something like this to play a damned game peacefully. But you reap what you sow I guess.

LOL
SDC post a thread and this one comes back alive

Yes. I love how that other thread acts as if they contribute something to the game. And how the narrative is spun that, somehow, SDC is important to the popularity of ED.

That idea is not rooted in fact however.
Joining a private PvE group with the sole purpose of shooting fish in a barrel? That's not brave, nor smart, nor "emergent gameplay". It's just pathetic.

Last edited:

Vermill

Banned
Its not an exploit. Its part of the games mechanics and as I am led to understand, functioning how FD intended. Why is everything an exploit?

Although I do agree that its not great. Shouldn't have to do something like this to play a damned game peacefully. But you reap what you sow I guess.

Because in every normal PVP game (open is pvp) such thing will be an exploit or WIN BUTTON if you prefer...

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Because in every normal PVP game (open is pvp) such thing will be an exploit or WIN BUTTON if you prefer...

The fact that direct PvP is completely optional, while at the same time every player (regardless of game mode or platform) affects and experiences the single shared galaxy state, in this game might suggest that it's not a "normal" PvP game.

The fact that direct PvP is completely optional, while at the same time every player (regardless of game mode or platform) affects and experiences the single shared galaxy state, in this game might suggest that it's not a "normal" PvP game.

I must admit that it's because of this that I cannot for myself find interest in the numbers aspects of the BGS or Powerplay, and unfortunately I can't imagine any way that the game will ever, realistically, be changed so as to encourage me and like-minded people to take an interest beyond a RP interest.

I don't think anyone else has yet come up with a viable idea for making PvP / PvP-ers relevant, although I yet live in hope.

I don't think anyone else has yet come up with a viable idea for making PvP / PvP-ers relevant, although I yet live in hope.

I think there are plenty of games that cater specifically for PvP, and ED isn't one of those. If players want to make PvP relevant they need to organise it for themselves and play with players they can trust. Groups allow this, but you need to know about the group to join it. A blacklist works better in those circumstances, to help players avoid frustrating those that don't like the way they play (in both directions).

Joining a private PvE group with the sole purpose of shooting fish in a barrel? That's not brave, nor smart...

Oops, I nearly agreed with you.
I thought you were talking about how some like to interact with the NPCs without having to worry about competition from a real person controlling the ship.

Phew, embarrassment avoided

I think there are plenty of games that cater specifically for PvP, and ED isn't one of those. If players want to make PvP relevant they need to organise it for themselves and play with players they can trust. Groups allow this, but you need to know about the group to join it. A blacklist works better in those circumstances, to help players avoid frustrating those that don't like the way they play (in both directions).

Oh, there's loads of PvP stuff always going on, that part of the game is fine. What I mean is that unfortunately it's difficult to envisage any way in which PvP might become relevant to Galactic events, via the BGS, Powerplay, etc.

Games that cater specifically to PvP tend to be far too narrow in scope, often with PvP not being any good either.

To cater specifically to PvP would be completely missing the point, from my perspective.

Oh, there's loads of PvP stuff always going on, that part of the game is fine. What I mean is that unfortunately it's difficult to envisage any way in which PvP might become relevant to Galactic events, via the BGS, Powerplay, etc.

Games that cater specifically to PvP tend to be far too narrow in scope, often with PvP not being any good either.

To cater specifically to PvP would be completely missing the point, from my perspective.

I agree with Morbad here, every game has to make certain choices, and ED isn't intended to be a battlefield or an arena, it allows PvP to happen but it's not built around it.

OTOH being ganked and ganking others very much is within ED's remit, but in order for it to be fun for both parties there needs to be some parity, some way of allowing similarly skilled opposing forces to come together naturally while allowing a way to keep the extremes of ability and/or aggression apart.

Vermill

Banned
FD are lazy. Better to them is doing one button for blocking each other, than doing some nice punish/reward system that make this game more fun and versatile.

Last edited:
Is this abusable? Yes. Will it be abused? I don't think it will be too frequent, especially if they made it so that, as I read earlier in this thread, if you are Wanted your block list will temporarily stop working: this way criminals can't abuse it to slip under the nose of known enforcers.

FDev made a game where it is possible and actually very easy to annoy and disrupt other players' activities: it makes sense to have an option that says, "I don't want to play with you". Nobody wants to spend their precious free time with idiots.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Is this abusable? Yes. Will it be abused? I don't think it will be too frequent, especially if they made it so that, as I read earlier in this thread, if you are Wanted your block list will temporarily stop working: this way criminals can't abuse it to slip under the nose of known enforcers.

Wanted for any crime or just crimes against other CMDRs?

if you are Wanted your block list will temporarily stop working: this way criminals can't abuse it to slip under the nose of known enforcers.

Not a bad idea, although I should emphasise that to my way of thinking this would still pose major problems. Open should be enhanced by C&P and proper defensive Outfitting for civilians, not self-selection.

Wanted for any crime or just crimes against other CMDRs?

Any crime, although not because ...

As much as I pity them, I don't think that any player will start protecting NPCs by evil evil CMDRs farming them for Engineers mats.

... but because, for those who defend their NPC faction's BGS, the main issue will be enemy Cmdrs killing their NPC's with impunity in order to wreck their BGS.

This is already a huge issue for player groups with a BGS interest.

I know that of course enemies can already do this in Solo or PG but (even though I don't personally defend a BGS) I do think that for the defenders, for a guy to be able sit in Supercruise interdicting their clean NPC's and murdering them, without the defenders able to instance with him, is tantamount to trolling. It really shouldn't be facilitated.

Last edited:
It's a pity that, if correct, one can only block a player if previously instanced, otherwise this could be used overcome the group size limitation encountered by möbius. Members of the group could then block everyone else and have a unified group instead of the current necessity of having to split the group.

Regards
G

Top Bottom