2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Okay people. Everyone take a time out and take a breathe. It's getting heated.

Lower the handbags.

Consider that when you're old and grey your grandkids will probably be able to look up everything you ever said online... #grins

Last edited:
Can I just ask this as I am not (and never have been) a developer (and not been to developer school so don't know) - Is there a developers code that you all sign up to, that says when it goes wrong (and for some that will be a lot) we all counter gank the venting public with standard phraseology that can start with "You have no idea how hard developing is.." or "I've been a developer for [insert impressive number] years..." sort of a "All for one and one for all sort of mentality?"

All developers (and other tech types), to varying degrees, are veterans the same kind of complicated discovery process. It involves identifying the inevitable bugs. You usually have to travel to were the bug is to identify it and, like this galaxy, sometimes the systems are not mapped out until you get there and analyse.

Last edited:
Take your pick;

A. Release horrific buggy beta mess = ZOMG !!!!! I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN!!!!!. FD ARE THE WORST DEVS IN THE WORLD!!!!!PENGUIN
B. Delay horrific buggy beta mess so that it at least launches = ZOMG !!!!! I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN!!!!!. FD ARE THE WORST DEVS IN THE WORLD!!!!!PENGUIN

Last edited:
Can I just ask this as I am not (and never have been) a developer (and not been to developer school so don't know) - Is there a developers code that you all sign up to, that says when it goes wrong (and for some that will be a lot) we all counter gank the venting public with standard phraseology that can start with "You have no idea how hard developing is.." or "I've been a developer for [insert impressive number] years..." sort of a "All for one and one for all sort of mentality?"

The "shared developer code" does exist, it's about have an understanding of (1) what is required to get something complex and rife with dependencies, like ED, out the door and (2) what the term "beta" means.

Last edited:
Take your pick;

A. Release horrific buggy beta mess = ZOMG !!!!! I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN!!!!!. FD ARE THE WORST DEVS IN THE WORLD!!!!!PENGUIN
B. Delay horrific buggy beta mess so that it at least launches = ZOMG !!!!! I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN!!!!!. FD ARE THE WORST DEVS IN THE WORLD!!!!!PENGUIN

The only winning move for FD is to not release it at all?

Take your pick;

That'd be the essence of it, aye.

I use an application called QRM for financial risk modelling. Its specialty is that it will frequently fail to work, will tell you it has failed to work but then fail to tell you what failed, where it failed, which module the failure was in, which command failed, or give you any clue at all as to what your problem was/is/might be.

I love it. Really, I do.

Flying happily in Production 2.2, where the view is still fantastic
Jon
Type-6E

Reminds me of old pre-X version of MacOS that once told me:

"An unknown error has occured in an unknown application for an unknown reason."

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The only winning move for FD is to not release it at all?

No, the winning move is the most obvious one for that purpose. Release on time and reasonably stable. Wouldn't be the first time FDEV achieves it, they've done it most of the time, alas not this one.

:)

Last edited:
Consider that when you're old and grey your grandkids will probably be able to look up everything you ever said online... #grins

"Watch and learn, kid! Watch and learn!" [yesnod]

On the other hand; most of the folks in this forum seems to be grandparents already.
And have been for some decades. :p

Good question.

I think it's just developer empathy. Everyone's been in that tight spot before where nothing's working and you don't know why, and it's gonna take time to work out why even though there are clients waiting for you.

Last edited:
Good question.

I think it's just developer empathy. Everyone's been in that tight spot before where nothing's working and you don't know why, and it's gonna take time to work out why even though there are clients waiting for you.

Developer empathy + ignorant, self-entitled customers making unsubstantiated accusations and hurtful remarks = Bro-Army Mobilisation to defend Developer-Bro's.

Good question.

It's official, nothing's working and noone knows why:eek::eek::eek:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom