2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The "shared developer code" does exist, it's about have an understanding of (1) what is required to get something complex and rife with dependencies, like ED, out the door and (2) what the term "beta" means.

And the poor blighters are using SVN if I recall correctly. I've heard it's common in game dev, cos it was always good at dealing with large binary art assets. Wonder if they've made the move to LFS yet? Probably anything that's been used for a decade on the Cobra engine is fairly well embedded into tools and workflows though.

Reminds me of old pre-X version of MacOS that once told me:

"An unknown error has occured in an unknown application for an unknown reason."

My favorite error message of all time said:

"An error has occurred. Please choose the reason." and gave you three options -- Disk Error, System Error, Cosmic Rays.

You could choose a reason and click OK.

Made me laugh every time.

Reminds me of old pre-X version of MacOS that once told me:

"An unknown error has occured in an unknown application for an unknown reason."

Many years ago i was looking at some network source Code, and there was a comment 'There is no practical way you should be at this line of code' .... made me laugh...

Max is the community, Goofy is the moderators telling us to be patient about the beta. No, really. Think about it.

[video=youtube;J0VR0YjE9wU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0VR0YjE9wU[/video]

Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes!

Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why!

Damn this thread is getting out of hand, My grandchildren have more patience's than some on here.
I'm off to gather some mats in my little srv or just go to a haz res.

No, the winning move is the most obvious one for that purpose. Release on time and reasonably stable. Wouldn't be the first time FDEV achieves it, they've done it most of the time, alas not this one.

:)

Actually, the winning move would be for FD to not announce the beta release until they release it. That way they could get it ready without all of these complaints, even when their target date slips.

While we all want it asap, 99% of us would rather wait for a more polished beta then a bug-filled turd.
Please take your time.

Good question.

I think it's just developer empathy. Everyone's been in that tight spot before where nothing's working and you don't know why, and it's gonna take time to work out why even though there are clients waiting for you.

There was an interview in Retro Gamer recently (can't remember who was being interviewed or what about - sorry!) where the coder talked about a game he'd written that was 100% finished but which remained unreleased because they never found the source of a random crashing bug.

Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why!

Damn this thread is getting out of hand, My grandchildren have more patience's than some on here.
I'm off to gather some mats in my little srv or just go to a haz res.

You's aint my dad

Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet! Are we there yet!

Ah Your such a hero with your words of wisdom. If you haven't noticed already we are the ones paying for the game so we do have SOME entitlement to be upset at two delays... anyhow personally I'm not too bothered but I hate how people have the audacity to say you haven't got the right to be upset.... (FDevs your still doing a great jump though so keep up the good work)

Twiddling thumbs..rolling fingers in a gallop on desk..just thought of an idea to bring the ARCADE into the game (as CQC doesn't either): -

ELITE: SPACE INVADERS!
Yup, you all gather up in a line facing the Nav Beacon and strafe in formation on 25% impulse as the defender tries to stop them as missiles get fired at him!

Last edited:
There was an interview in Retro Gamer recently (can't remember who was being interviewed or what about - sorry!) where the coder talked about a game he'd written that was 100% finished but which remained unreleased because they never found the source of a random crashing bug.

Damn, that must be frustratring as hell.

And the poor blighters are using SVN if I recall correctly. I've heard it's common in game dev, cos it was always good at dealing with large binary art assets. Wonder if they've made the move to LFS yet? Probably anything that's been used for a decade on the Cobra engine is fairly well embedded into tools and workflows though.

OMG, the poor abused b****rds. Nobody should be forced to use the abomination that is SVN.

OMG, the poor abused b****rds. Nobody should be forced to use the abomination that is SVN.

If so, they should Git a replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom