CTRL + ALT + SPACE – Elite Dangerous Film Competition 2017

View attachment 117966

As you might remember we held a video competition in 2015 called CTRL+ALT+SPACE and the entries we received were awesome. Now with The Commanders Update 2.3 the ability for video content creators to control the camera and apply certain effects during capture, we are hosting a new CTRL+ALT+SPACE!

How To Enter
Create a short film (no more than 4 minutes) in a theme of your choosing using the Camera Suite. This theme could be a short story, a trailer, or anything else you wish; however, be aware of the rules listed below before entering! Upload your video to YouTube as Public or Unlisted and send the URL of the video to community@frontier.co.uk with CTRL+ALT+SPACE in the Subject line!

We’re looking to be dazzled so whether you decide to create a trailer or a short film, the idea should be clear in your head and conveyed through your video.

We’re looking forward to seeing what you make, CMDRs.

Entries will close on Tuesday 9th May at 23:59 UTC

What will you win?
The winner of the Elite Dangerous Film Competition 2017 will receive the following amazing bundle of prizes from Elgato and HyperX, and the Frontier Store:

Elgato HD60 Pro Video capture card
HyperX Headset Cloud 2
HyperX Keyboard Alloy FPS
HyperX Pro Gaming Mousepad

Camo Flight Suit Pack
Conciliator Flight Suit Pack
Systematic Flight Suit Pack
Classic Flight Suit Pack
Combat Name Plate Pack
Explorer Name Plate Pack
Passenger Name Plate Pack
Pirate Name Plate Pack
Boundary Ship ID Name Plate Pack
Trader Name Plate Pack
Practical Name Plate Pack
Trilateral Pack Tattoo
Ancestral Pack Tattoo
Exotic Pack Tattoo
Grime Pack Tattoo
And all of the Community Event Prize packs listed here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/244719-Community-Prize-Packs

The top nine runners up won’t leave empty handed, and will get two prize packs of their own choice from this list: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/244719-Community-Prize-Packs

How will the competition be judged?

Much like last year, we will be working with the video editors and artists to come up with 10 videos that truly stand out. After that we’ll be sitting down together with a panel of judges and deciding on the number 1 film!
We will be judging based on creativity, originality, ingenuity and we will be paying close attention to editing, narrative, and scene composition.
We will then show the top 10 films on a livestream with members from the judging panel explaining their choices.

Rules

• Video content must be no more than 4 minutes long
  • Upload your videos to YouTube either as Public or Unlisted and send the link to community@frontier.co.uk
  • All entries must be submitted by Tuesday 9th May 2017 at 23:59 UTC – the judging process will then take a week
  • You are responsible for licensing any copyrighted material such as music tracks that you use in your submission
  • Objectionable or offensive content will be disqualified
  • Submissions will be judged by our Frontier Developments video editors and artists – we will be judging based on creativity, originality and ingenuity
  • Winners will be selected and publicly announced the following Tuesday 9th May on the Elite Dangerous livestream – they will then be uploaded to the blog and forum

Last edited by a moderator:
[*]You are responsible for licensing any copyrighted material such as music tracks that you use in your submission

These days YouTube tends to have a far more reasonable approach to the use of copyright music.

If you go here ..

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

.. search for the name of the track you intend to use and then select it you'll see a description of their policy concerning that track.

For example, for Iggy Pop's The Passenger it says ..

If you use this song
Playback: Viewable worldwide
Advertising: Ads can appear

If you perform a cover

What is your policy regarding this competion?

Last edited:
These days YouTube tends to have a far more reasonable approach to the use of copyright music.

If you go here ..

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

.. search for the name of the track you intend to use and then select it you'll see a description of their policy concerning that track.

For example, for Iggy Pop's The Passenger it says ..

If you use this song

If you perform a cover

What is your policy regarding this competion?

Indeed, but the 'rule' that was posted is a bit of a catch-all. We don't have any restrictions on the music or ads attached to the video, but it is the responsibility of the video creator to make sure they have permission to use the music and credit as necessary.

Subbed.... Looking forward to seeing what kind of creative content people can come up with. Wish there were more time to come up with something. It would be difficult for me to contribute with Real Life occurring simultaneously along with my Elite Simulation time frame.

Houston... we seem to be experiencing technical difficulties.... please advise. Over.
33997380015_567900ee54_h.jpg

Kidding aside, this sounds like fun and I'm off to give it a go.
33154200314_64d16a43e5_h.jpg

While I'll admit this sounds like the whole lots of work to have fun I have been known to engage in...

I don't want any of the prizes.

I've no need of a video capture card.
I like my Plantronics Headset.
I only use ergonomic keyboards.
A mousepad is a bit of rubber with some fabric glued to it.
And I don't use cosmetics. I bought The Commanders Pack when I bought Elite and Horizons. I used the blue paintjob on my Sidewinder for the day I used my Sidewinder. I've never wanted to buy anything else.
I don't want to be a famous YouPotato, or help anyone ever sell advertisement. If my opinion of the advertising industry were any lower you could slide it under an ambulance-chasing shyster doing the limbo under a flatworm.

So I will wish all the competitors the best of luck, and spend my time making credits instead!

Hah, I had a feeling this would be coming with the new camera suite, but I somehow wasn't cynical enough at the time to say it out loud. Can't afford your own advertising, or just getting too used to "crowdsourcing" it?

Hah, I had a feeling this would be coming with the new camera suite, but I somehow wasn't cynical enough at the time to say it out loud. Can't afford your own advertising, or just getting too used to "crowdsourcing" it?

On the flipside, I'd rather see 20 awesome videos than 2 that FD made. This new camera is basically worth its dev time 20x over because we all know that a lot of this community are super-creative with this stuff and then it makes for awesome promo stuff. This is probably my favourite feature of 2.3.

GIMME DEM VIDEOS!

Or maybe we loved hosting this competition last time so much that we wanted to do it again. We like seeing the videos the community already make and thought this would be a fun incentive. So much unnecessary, misplaced negativity in your post. I was the driving force behind this competition - Community engagement not marketing was at the heart of it.

Last edited:
Or maybe we loved hosting this competition last time so much that we wanted to do it again. We like seeing the videos the community already make and thought this would be a fun incentive. So much unnecessary, misplaced negativity in your post. I was the driving force behind this competition - Community engagement not marketing was at the heart of it.

How come you didn't do one last year

On second thought, I'm sorry Ed, I didn't mean to widdle in your cornflakes like that, I know you're a good guy doing your best. Don't mind me, I was just throwing in a snide one because I'm still lightly salted over the nameplates thing. Go enjoy your trailer competition, the guys here always do a good job of this sort of thing.

Probably more truth in that than they'll admit to, maybe their art dept. is too busy creating tattoos and scars for the store :)

However there's a lot of talent out there, it'd be good to see it outshine the so called professionals, I wasn't that impressed with the 2.3 trailer.

Wanting to promote an event for community, fun, and biscuits? Inconceivable!

#SaveTheBiscuits

Probably more truth in that than they'll admit to, maybe their art dept. is too busy creating tattoos and scars for the store :)

However there's a lot of talent out there, it'd be good to see it outshine the so called professionals, I wasn't that impressed with the 2.3 trailer.

Yes the "CMDRs" Trailer was very uninspired , I skipped most of it , and only look at it for actual clues for anything actually... The Alien stuff on the other hand was interesting... and also depressing since all we will get in 2.3 is one to 4 Alien "Bases" with 0 interaction?!

How come you didn't do one last year

FDev ran another (mini) video/screenshot competition late 2015, during Horizons 2.0 beta.

Meanwhile, we on the ED subreddit also ran a video competition two months prior too, when we reached 50k subscribers. While we wanted to run one again once the new Camera Suite functionality arrived, we're happy that FDev have an official competition running and so we stepped aside, for three reasons:
  1. FDev's plan for it was more in-depth than ours to be honest: including the content-creators in the Final-10 selection is genius, I wish we'd thought of that hahaha!
  2. The videos will naturally be posted by CMDRs to /r/EliteDangerous for more visibility to Elite fans and all gamers, inspiring traffic to our subreddit community and new CMDRs to the game.
  3. In a few months the ED subreddit will reach 100,000 subscribers (currently 90.5k; we passed 90k three months after 80k), with an appropriately large celebration and competition being prepped for that instead :)

Last edited:
Either form of promotion benefits the players regardless of the motives. And I for one would look forward to some community entertainment as it is for the most part enjoyable.

Top Bottom