CTRL + ALT + SPACE – Elite Dangerous Film Competition 2017

Question: My friend and I have been working on a video as a side project off and on for about a year now, it's nearing completion and we were waiting for the new camera system to get some shots we had in mind. That said, this video has footage from the last year of patches in it. If only roughly 20-30% of the footage comes from the new camera system does that disqualify our video from the competition? In other words, does the competition rules require ALL footage to be using the new camera system?

Hah, I had a feeling this would be coming with the new camera suite, but I somehow wasn't cynical enough at the time to say it out loud. Can't afford your own advertising, or just getting too used to "crowdsourcing" it?

That's cute. I would have done videos even if there was no competition, does that mean I'm making FD free advertising? Or is it just that I love making these kinds of videos?

While on a semi-related topic, is there an official (and legal and written) position of Frontier regarding things like publishing screenshots, gameplay videos in various (non-)transformative forms, or straight out streaming gameplay?

AFAICT the EULA currently explicitly prohibits those, especially the streaming part. While it is understandable that Frontier want to protect their IP to convert it to RoI, that very restrictive boilerplate license is depressingly retro in its nature of allowing one to play the game as long as nobody watches.

Or maybe we loved hosting this competition last time so much that we wanted to do it again. We like seeing the videos the community already make and thought this would be a fun incentive. So much unnecessary, misplaced negativity in your post. I was the driving force behind this competition - Community engagement not marketing was at the heart of it.

I'm quite surprised you replied to such comment... this forum has its load of negativity. It's not new.... on the other hand, I admire how you keep your head cool most of the time. Sometimes I guess you must be biting your tongue...this work is as gratifying as unrewarding right?

Question: My friend and I have been working on a video as a side project off and on for about a year now, it's nearing completion and we were waiting for the new camera system to get some shots we had in mind. That said, this video has footage from the last year of patches in it. If only roughly 20-30% of the footage comes from the new camera system does that disqualify our video from the competition? In other words, does the competition rules require ALL footage to be using the new camera system?

I don't think so... maybe your video will be better than other half-baked videos done with the camera suite... the tools are important but the guy behind the camera is the most important part. Ideas too !!!

It's not the first video competition in video games history (for 's sake) and I understand that it may be fun and nice to see how people can create things with a tool you worked so hard on.
I'm eager to see what the competitors will come up with.....and I feel stressed at the same time :)

Bonne chance to everyone !!!! ;-)

Last edited:
I guess people really doesn't understand how marketing teams work - you can't really do free job for them, they are control freaks :D Also PlayStation 4 reveal video showed FD really knows how to make people excited with content they have...and some of them we don't (*cough*space legs*cough*).

So really to suggest that FD does this for advertisment is just repeating same old boring/"shocking" revelations that FD is company. Yes, they are. But FD also are people. People like Edwards, whose enthusiasm for ED and community I think no one can question.

Also - BRING IT ON! :D With all new stuff with camera suite and avatars I can't wait to see what people will create! Bring awesomeness!

I'm on a road trip for a fortnight.
So no shennanigans from me.

But there were some red hot videos made last time.
The one from Black Maze was terrific.

But at the forefront right now is VJ's saga.
[video=youtube_share;A5HDysOM0bI]https://youtu.be/A5HDysOM0bI[/video]

The road trip has probably spared you. My videos tend to be political, and full of way much exposition.
[video=youtube_share;oqZOfbCHTCA]https://youtu.be/oqZOfbCHTCA[/video]

Last edited:
This is great, only have one quibble. Two weeks isn't long enough, please make it a month at least! If I did nothing but play Elite then maybe two weeks would be enough.

I'm just worried you won't get high quality, well thought out submissions in two weeks. Rather rush jobs to meet the deadline. I'll give it a go but not sure that it'll be enough time for me.

I'm quite surprised you replied to such comment... this forum has its load of negativity. It's not new.... on the other hand, I admire how you keep your head cool most of the time. Sometimes I guess you must be biting your tongue...this work is as gratifying as unrewarding right?

I don't think so... maybe your video will be better than other half-baked videos done with the camera suite... the tools are important but the guy behind the camera is the most important part. Ideas too !!!

It's not the first video competition in video games history (for 's sake) and I understand that it may be fun and nice to see how people can create things with a tool you worked so hard on.
I'm eager to see what the competitors will come up with.....and I feel stressed at the same time :)

Bonne chance to everyone !!!! ;-)

I'm surprised I replied too! I was browsing the forums late last night, and I think I slipped for one second!

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'm surprised I replied too! I was browsing the forums late last night, and I think I slipped for one second!

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Edward Lewis again.

Hehe, good to hear it! Though really I'm very glad you did as it deserved to be said.

I had a vague attempt at the original competition and was rubbish then, I don't think this will be any different, especially in 2 weeks... Unless I try for an abstract piece and do 4 minutes of SuperCruise, or maybe 2.75 orbits of Mitterand Hollow :D

Last edited:
Black Maze - who usually does play throughs submitted this lovely narrative for the last one:
[video=youtube_share;u7qf1WsJqXk]https://youtu.be/u7qf1WsJqXk[/video]

Just posting the positivity and inspirational ones.

Me personally I'm going on a road trip tomorrow until after deadline.
Otherwise I'd try to finish that Epic history of Leesti. Been collecting resources for a long time.
But hey, nothing like the sound that deadlines make as they whizz past your ears.

Last edited:
Hey! Due to feedback we've extended the closing date.

I think when I originally wrote the article there was roughly a month.. then of course we had to wait for the update to come out!

The closing date is now the 9th of May.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Hey! Due to feedback we've extended the closing date.

I think when I originally wrote the article there was roughly a month.. then of course we had to wait for the update to come out!

The closing date is now the 9th of May.

Very nice indeed, thanks a lot. Though to be an extra week's not going to help me :p

Even though the official submission method is to email the link in, I'd appreciate it the videos would also be posted there.

Really looking forward to this - considering how good the trailers were with the old, debug camera.

It's a pity there are no avatar controls (gestures, head-look, 'talking' animations etc.) but I guess that's a reason for a 3rd trailer comp!

or maybe 2.75 orbits of Mitterand Hollow :D

It's been done!

[video=youtube_share;r8Q773nxiJ0]https://youtu.be/r8Q773nxiJ0[/video]

I like the 4 minutes of supercruise idea tho! You could use John Cage's "Four minutes, thirty-three seconds" as the soundtrack. You'd have to trim it down (I suggest fading in the beginning as the first 33 seconds are overrated anyway). There also might be copyright issues but you could always record a cover of it!

:D

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It's been done!

https://youtu.be/r8Q773nxiJ0

I like the 4 minutes of supercruise idea tho! You could use John Cage's "Four minutes, thirty-three seconds" as the soundtrack. You'd have to trim it down (I suggest fading in the beginning as the first 33 seconds are overrated anyway). There also might be copyright issues but you could always record a cover of it!

:D

Nice try Alec, but that's 4 minutes 27 seconds :D

And unlike the tourist destinations, I claimed Mitterand first this time :p

Last edited:
I'm on a road trip for a fortnight.
So no shennanigans from me.

But there were some red hot videos made last time.
The one from Black Maze was terrific.

But at the forefront right now is VJ's saga.
https://youtu.be/A5HDysOM0bI

Great stuff...

Notes to the Graphics dept.

Please please please. Low g enviroments... truck loads of dust. Can we add an advanced option for that? The place should be absolutely covered in a dust storm of particles. - that stay there. Landing looks totally unrealistic. Duff! job done. There is no settling in the animation. (although I think that might be horrendous to achieve) At least a few more audio cues wont go out of the way. Thrust still looks stupidly unrealistic at low speeds low altitude. Massively overpowered. Still uses orbital thrust animations. If you want to make the camera... boys and gals... you gotta do the finery as well! And I WILL say this. Good neutral spot that you took. Im really astonished how well it works in general. Its a hard thing to do. A Very hard thing to do.

Must be an absolute nightmare realizing that stuff. RESPECT.

Top Bottom