Can't Plot Route At All

First, I am going preface my issue by stating the following:
1. If this is a "wrong" place to post this, please let me know and move.
2. I am not new to this game, and nothing has changed from my end that should account for this issue i'm experiencing. By that, I mean...I have changed nothing, and this was working fine for me the last time I played this on the PC, but i've been playing this on the XBOne for a while, and just recently decided to play it more on the pc, and noticed my issue last night during a multi-crew session with a friend.

Issue: I CANNOT plot ANY ROUTE on the Galaxy map. This is regardless of distance, or jump range. For instance, my current ship, Asp Explorer, with a jump range of approximately 32-34, cannot plot a route, to even a jump point directly beside me, in the Caph system.
I have tested this in multiple ships, with large enough (confirmed) jump ranges, and to points directly beside, and up to 200 ly away.
My fuel is good. My FSD Range is good.
This was not like this before, and I do not have this issue on the XBOne, only on the PC version, and this apparently only recently started.
I don't get any kind of normal interaction for a system, such as the ability to click on the option to go into system map, or to buy data about a system, nothing that I remember normally should be present. If I click on the system, no interaction is possible, though I can get an Orange Indicator over that system, but again, no route plotted.
The twist is, if I click on a system/base I had previously "bookmarked," it will plot a route, but only if I go into "Bookmarks" and choose a previously marked location prior to the time since I noticed the issue with my inability to plot routes.
Another example: I have a Passenger Mission, I go into it, and click on the option for it to open the galaxy map and show me the location. Regardless of the distance, 10, 20, 50, 100...etc., it WILL open the galaxy map, but again...I can't click and plot a route, I can't enter the system map from the selected system (no interactions available as it was before).
This is an issue regardless of whether I enter Galaxy Map via the Mission in "Transactions" menu, Or directly through the Galaxy Map interaction option on the ship HUD.

As such, I can't do missions of any kind.

I have messed with galaxy map settings, and have done everything I can to fix this, and all to no avail. I simply cannot plot routes anymore in the PC version.
Any thoughts, hints, fixes, anyone may know?
I'm seriously at a loss to explain this.

Thanks...

Edited: Mis-typings, missed punctuation, and etc., annoyed me when I re-read this later. Had to at least fix a few. Hate typing. Ty.

Last edited:
This sounds like the Galaxy Map problem a lot of us are having.
What screen resolution are you running?
Do you have any super sampling set?

By no interaction, do you mean the info box that would enable you to plot a route / buy system data etc. is missing? It's actually offset, not missing.

If so, that's a known issue with the galaxy map in 2.3, and some people have found that setting supersampling (I think) down to 1.0 helps.

If that is the issue, then have a look in the bug report forum, you should find threads on it there, and if it's not the issue, and you can see the info box but nothing is clickable, then yes, submit a ticket.

First, I am going preface my issue by stating the following:
1. If this is a "wrong" place to post this, please let me know and move.
2. I ma not new to this game, and nothing has changed form my end that should account for this issue i'm experiencing. By that, I mean...I have changed nothing, and this was working fine for me the last time I playe dthis on the PC, but i've been playing this on the XBOne for a while, and just recently decided to play it more on the pc, and noticed my issue lastnight during a multi-crew session with a friend.

Issue: I CANNOT plot ANY ROUTE on the Galaxy map. This is regardless of distance, or jump range. For instance, my current ship, Asp Explorer, with a jump range of approximately 32-34, cannot plot a router, to even a jump point directly beside me, in the Caph system.
I have tested this in multiple ships, with large enough (confirmed) jump ranges, and to [points directly beside, and up to 200 ly away.
My fuel is good. My FSD Range is good.
This was not like this before, and I do not have this issue on the XBOne, only on the PC version, and this apparently only recently started.
I don't get any kind of normal interaction for a system, such as the ability to click on the option to go into system map, or to buy data about a system nothing that I remember normally should be present. If I click on the system, no interaction possible, though I can get an Orange Indicator over that system, but again, no route plotted.
The twist is, if I click on a system/base I had previously "bookmarked," it will plot a router, but only if I go into "Bookmarks" and choose a previously marked location prior to the time since I noticed the issue with my inability to plot routes.
Another example, I have a Passenger Mission, I go into it, and click on the option for it to open the galaxy map and show me the location. Regardless of the distance, 10, 20, 50, 100...etc., it WILL open the galaxy map, but again...I can't click and plot a route, I can't enter the system map form the selected system (no interactions available as it was before).
This is an issue regardless of whether I enter Galaxy Map via the Mission in "Transactions" menu, Or directly through the Galaxy Map interaction option on the ship hud.

As such, I can't do missions of any kind.

I have messed with galaxy map settings, and done everything I can to fix this, and all to no avail. I simply cannot plot routes anymore in the PC version.
Any thoughts, hints, fixes, anyone may know?
I'm seriously at a loss to explain this.

Thanks...

It's a known bug...since early beta...certainly in beta 5 for me. The bug was released into the live patch. The problem is the system markers have been offset...if you wave your mouse pointer around the map you'll find the target system or station/planet etc way down and to the right instead of being on the system you've highlighted.

I've got the same issue, had it since beta 5 like I mentioned...still no fix from FDev due to Easter holiday period.

I find that if I move the target system to the top left of the screen, then its info box appears in the bottom right.
I can then select or plot or route.

What's this problem? Mine is that sometimes I try to plot a route and can't because I get a message that it exceeds the max distance even though it's not. Traveling to a neighboring system fixes it.

In graphics settings do you have supper sampling set to value higher than 1.0?

2.3 ****** up galaxy map if you have set supersampling to higher than 1.0. If its set to 1.5 the stuff is off were it should be and if its set to 2.0 its of the view and un access-able. So, i would start going to graphics options and changing supersampling to 1.0.

RLmtEmZ.png

Thank you for the reply.
I am running at Super Sampling 2.0.
My resolution is 1920x1080.

My PC Specs, for what it's worth, are:
Pc Specs:
-OS - Win7 x64 /dual boot/ Kali Linux
-Motherboard = ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME
-CPU = Intel Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz (OC'd @ 4.6Ghz)
-Liquid CPU Cooler = Corsair Hydro Series
-RAM = G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-24000 @ 3000+ MHZ
(RAM CAS Timings 14, 14, 14, 34)
-Video Card = EVGA GTX 980ti 6 Gig (No OC)
-Main Drive = Samsung 850 Pro 1 Tb SSD
PSU - EVGA Gold 1300w

I just started researching this issue, so I may have missed it, but do you have reason to believe Super Sampling is now causing issues with Galaxy Map Interactions? As I said, these settings have not been changed since the last-known "good" and properly functioning game-play session. As such, and since you inquired about it specifically, I figure maybe you have experienced, or read something about it being an issue?
Thanks again...

What's this problem? Mine is that sometimes I try to plot a route and can't because I get a message that it exceeds the max distance even though it's not. Traveling to a neighboring system fixes it.

The problem of the pop up info box being offset when you hover over a system.
I haven't seen that problem.

Thank you for the reply.

My PC Specs, for what it's worth, are:
Pc Specs:
-OS - Win7 x64 /dual boot/ Kali Linux
-Motherboard = ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME
-CPU = Intel Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz (OC'd @ 4.6Ghz)
-Liquid CPU Cooler = Corsair Hydro Series
-RAM = G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-24000 @ 3000+ MHZ
(RAM CAS Timings 14, 14, 14, 34)
-Video Card = EVGA GTX 980ti 6 Gig (No OC)
-Main Drive = Samsung 850 Pro 1 Tb SSD
PSU - EVGA Gold 1300w

I just started researching this issue, so I may have missed it, but do you have reason to believe Super Sampling is now causing issues with Galaxy Map Interactions? As I said, these settings have not been changed since the last-known "good" and properly functioning game-play session. As such, and since you inquired about it specifically, I figure maybe you have experienced, or read something about it being an issue?
Thanks again...

Yeah, it's an issue. Has been a widely reported issue since the first 2.3 beta. Still not fixed.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341992-Galaxy-System-Map-tag-not-pointing-to-target

It's a known bug...since early beta...certainly in beta 5 for me. The bug was released into the live patch. The problem is the system markers have been offset...if you wave your mouse pointer around the map you'll find the target system or station/planet etc way down and to the right instead of being on the system you've highlighted.

I've got the same issue, had it since beta 5 like I mentioned...still no fix from FDev due to Easter holiday period.

I'll have to try to figure out exactly what to do with this then. The curious thing is that since buying this game, way back at or near the beginning of its availability form what I remember...i've NEVER encountered this issue. It is unplayable for me on the PC like this.

Thanks for the info...i'll have to see if it is possible to circumvent this. I have moved the mouse around, and etc., but literally get nothing showing I can access or plot still. Kind of sucks, as this is my "go to" game for space/space exploration.

Appreciate the info. you gave though. So, i'm assuming they know about this issue, and HOPEFULLY plan to fix it ASAP after Easter (fingers TIGHTLY crossed).

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks again...

It's not so much super sampling is causing the problem but reducing or setting it to 1.0 helps but does not resolves it.
I've left mine at Super Sampling 2.0, as I can still see the pop up menu but it's offset to the bottom right.

Last edited:
I'll have to try to figure out exactly what to do with this then. The curious thing is that since buying this game, way back at or near the beginning of its availability form what I remember...i've NEVER encountered this issue. It is unplayable for me on the PC like this.

Thanks for the info...i'll have to see if it is possible to circumvent this. I have moved the mouse around, and etc., but literally get nothing showing I can access or plot still. Kind of sucks, as this is my "go to" game for space/space exploration.

Appreciate the info. you gave though. So, i'm assuming they know about this issue, and HOPEFULLY plan to fix it ASAP after Easter (fingers TIGHTLY crossed).

Considering they have known about it for two months, and as of now, have been unable to fix it through at least six updates, I wouldn't cross your fingers too tightly...they'll start to cramp up.

Yeah, it's an issue. Has been a widely reported issue since the first 2.3 beta. Still not fixed.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341992-Galaxy-System-Map-tag-not-pointing-to-target

O.k. Well, thanks for the info., and link. Much appreciated. I'll read and try to keep up with what is happening with it. I wasn't sure if maybe somehow I had some corruption of game files, or etc....we all know how any little thing can cause a domino effect, and sometimes something you truly didn't believe would have any effect at all on a separate program, completely friks it up. I was concerned I had inadvertently corrupted something though some unrelated PC change somewhere.
Thanks again...

- - - Updated - - -

I am in same boat, 1080p player - I am playing with SuperSampling set to x1.0 only for now and will wait for the patch.

Right on. Guess i'll be waiting for a patch too then. Lol. Playing on the XBone only, until the PC gets sorted out.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering they have known about it for two months, and as of now, have been unable to fix it through at least six updates, I wouldn't cross your fingers too tightly...they'll start to cramp up.

Literal "lol"

- - - Updated - - -

It's not so much super sampling is causing the problem but reducing or setting it to 1.0 helps but does not resolves it.
I've left mine at Super Sampling 2.0, as I can still see the pop up menu but it's offset to the bottom right.

Ah, o.k., got ya. ...crap like this should be priority to fix, in my humble opinion. It makes the game unplayable, for some, like myself. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. thanks again for the info.
Edited to add: I don't see it offset anywhere on the screen for me. I'll mess around with the Super Sampling, so maybe I can at least see interactions available somewhere.

Last edited:
Is this a thing?

I've been away for a while, and I've just logged in but I am just drifting in space unable to navigate anywhere?! The Galaxy map is bugged to crippens! i cannot select a star, I click on it and it does not activate. I guess i can make my way 1 jump at a time, but it would be nice to have a functioning navigation system.

Not played for a couple of months, unable to now either.

UPDATE:
I just Changed my Super Sampling to "1.0" form "2.0," and can now both see the Interaction Menus, as well as Access all interactions for each system, such as Plot, System Map, Bookmark, etc.
I confirmed this worked for me via Direct access to Galaxy Map, as well as through the Transactions Missions access to Galaxy Map.
As such, apparently, Super Sampling 2.0 is causing the total issue for me. However, 1.0 seems to be quite fine.

Thank you to all for the info., and responses. Especially the mentioning of the issue regarding Super Sampling. Changing to 1.0 is a temporary fix, but a quite viable one, and not a big deal for now. However, I DO hope they fix this.

Thanks again to all...i'll leave this as is, and someone may feel free to either lock, or delete as they deem necessary.
Semper Fi...

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a thing?

I've been away for a while, and I've just logged in but I am just drifting in space unable to navigate anywhere?! The Galaxy map is bugged to crippens! i cannot select a star, I click on it and it does not activate. I guess i can make my way 1 jump at a time, but it would be nice to have a functioning navigation system.

Check your Super Sampling. As I stated, for me changing it form 2.0 to 1.0 made the Galaxy Map usable again, as I could see the Interactions for systems, etc. Justa thought, but worked for me. Hope it helps.

Is this a thing?

Just go to graphics settings and change supersampling to x1.0. After doing that i can't see any difference in galaxy map between 2.2.03 and 2.3 or any problems. It takes like 10 seconds to changes that.

Is this a thing?

Yes, you need to run in 1920x1080 resolution with super-sampling set to 1, if you want the map popups appear in the right place. Depending on your resolution, the popup will appear in the wrong place, or entirely off-screen.

Just go to graphics settings and change supersampling to x1.0. After doing that i can't see any difference in galaxy map between 2.2.03 and 2.3 or any problems. It takes like 10 seconds to changes that.

That may NOT be enough. It didn't fix it for me, since I run at 4K; you must also adjust the resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom