News David Braben Live Chat Thread - Today (17th July) at 4pm BST

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
You've talked before about how "great hero" type stories don't work in a MMO environment, but will there be galaxy-wide events that are triggered/altered by single players discovering the right artefact/completing particularly important missions/barging into the Thargoid homeworld and blowing up everything they see?

Yes, there will. We have already discussed gold rushes - those will be triggered by specific players. Other events too.

Certain notorious players may get named on the news feeds if they have particularly high bounties too!

Hello David.

I have been wondering about the capabilities of procedural generation in the Cobra engine.

Now the creation of a 1:1 galaxy is a huge achievement, but a galaxy is a macroscopic entity that can be approximated by use of relatively simple rules. I'm not saying it's easy, just saying that it's not necessarily complex.
( Feel free to tell me i'm wrong :) )

The question is, how will procedural generation manage to create a 1:1 Earth, populated by billions of people and animals, with huge urban cities in many different styles, and all this meanwhile being believable, immersive and high quality?
There seem to be an enormous amounts of variables that come into play here that need to be tweaked.

In many ways, i would find such a 1:1 seamless recreation of Earth where we can walk around an even bigger achievement than a 1:1 galaxy.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Hello David.

With planetary landings, what do you intend to introduce with this functionality (i.e. land mining, anything else?).

Thanks

I have only 1 burning desire to know, when will we see a gutamaya shipyard made ship in game?

Thanks for taking time to do this live chat :)

6f4da1676f19a51f91a06ba3728d0af6.jpg

Are there plans for manual landing into planet cities?

My dream feature in a space games was always to be able to fly from space into a planet and land in the city.

In 'freelancer' the game which I played the hell out of it back in the day had this, but all the landing were sequence, with a cinematic landing.

It would be nice that in some way I could sit in a bar looking out the window and see ships by real people landing and taking off directly and manually into space and from space. would also be nice if we could fly around the city for awesome sight seeing. Cinematic automated sequence when landing on planets could still be an alternative option if someone is in a hurry and don't want to land manually.

Are there plans for manual landing into planet cities?

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
David,
How will finding friends work with the multiple server connections we have at present? Will we have to just reconnect and track what server we are on or what?

It should be automatic. If your friends are on your friends list, then you should meet them. This is one of the features coming for Beta 1 on 29th July.

When will we get to do this with the team? I mean I appreciate David doing this but, it would be great to have a live "round table Q&A like this :D

Hi Mr Braben,

Congratulations on your highly deserved OBE, I am a long-time fan of Elite and especially Frontier, and used to hang out on Alt.Fan.Elite chatting with you back in the late 90s :)

Anyway my question is: do you have a planned schedule for the expansions that you can share? As a Frontier fan, I am most looking forward to the planetary landings.

Last edited:
have plans been put in place for the official Launch party and is this something that everyone at FD looking forward to?

Hi David :)

As much as people revere the work you and Ian Bell did on Elite.. I have to say that Frontier: Elite II was absolutely mind blowing and would easily stand next to modern indy games in terms of graphics and well beyond in terms of gameplay (yes I am one of the few that preferred Elite II over I). You should totally release a HD version of it!

My question: What kinds of things can we expect to see in terms of customization.. character? hud? ship interiors? and how extensive will such things be?

From a thread I posted today:

In some MMOs you are able to share a quest or mission you have with a friend. That way if you complete them together you both get the rewards. Is this going to be possible in Elite Dangerous? Or how about sharing of profits/rewards if a mission is accepted as a group?

Are there any plans to implement a way to ask the game what the prices of goods are in a specific system. As a player primarily interested in trading, knowing what the prices are in a specific system (even if they change slightly before I arrive), would certainly make things easier.

Thanks for taking questions. Mine is, will the game at any point have a full 64 bit architecture without 32 bit code to make the game as future proof as possible, or will it just be a 64 bit executable with the 4 gig memory limit?

Thanks for making this game. I like many played the original Elite and loved it.

Calebe

Hi there,

Can you share any information about 'bottom of the range' station that is made from a melted-then-inflated asteroid: what services there will be available and how safe those stations will be from outside attacks, will there be any defenses and who can request docking or that will be just free for all to enter anytime?

thanks ;)

Greetings David,

My apology if it isn't allowed to post multiple replies.

Can you share about planned galaxy features? Dark Matter, Nebula, Black Holes, etc.

:)

Will there be a "Solar Radiation" mechanic? e.g. Losing your shields close to a high radiation star could kill the human occupant. The canopy doesn't look like it would offer much protection!

Hi David,

I backed to the Imperial Bounty Hunter level starting with the Imperial Eagle Mk2.
Just wondering what ship I'll be likely starting with since it seems the Eagle is now a Federation ship?
Congratulations on the Amazing work so far.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom