News David Braben Live Chat Thread - Today (17th July) at 4pm BST

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Will people who have named stations, planets and systems have a way of finding them? In particular will stations and planets be searchable in the galaxy map?

Hi Mr.Braben,

When the local map (the 'in system map') will be available and what kind of problems (if there are some) do you have with its development ?

Hello David, and many thanks for the chat..:)

Here is one for you. Have you thought about the educational possibilities the game might have regarding our understanding of the cosmos, space and astronomy? If yes, are there plans to incorporate features that would strengthen this aspect of the ED universe?

Are there any plans to implement a way to ask the game what the prices of goods are in a specific system. As a player primarily interested in trading, knowing what the prices are in a specific system (even if they change slightly before I arrive), would certainly make things easier.

Yes, would also like to know if something is planned for that...

From a thread I posted today:

In some MMOs you are able to share a quest or mission you have with a friend. That way if you complete them together you both get the rewards. Is this going to be possible in Elite Dangerous? Or how about sharing of profits/rewards if a mission is accepted as a group?

Great question

spelling

Hi David,

Have FD been approached by Nvidia or AMD regarding optimisation of hardware and also support for their dual card and 3D technologies?

Hi David

I always imagine myself taking up an assassination mission to eliminate dignitary X who is currently staying at hotel N, on body Y, in star system Z. I travel to the system, land at the nearest starport, drive/walk/take public transport to the hotel, sneak into the building, assassinate my target and his bodyguards, and escape from the scene. Do you envision that this scenario could be possible at some point in the future in E: D?

Thanks again for making E: D happen :)

No questions, just want to...

Thank You for making the most important game I have ever played.

With all nostalgia involved, I am not sure anything can top original Elite for me, but if ED even comes close in re-creating the feeling of wonder, I'll be ecstatic.

Thanks again and do Your best, please. :)

There are still more elements I am looking forwards to too, for post release. Particularly the human interactions - inside ships, planet surfaces etc.

I can't wait to see more of this. I'm very curious of what kinds of interactions in particular we can have with our crew (if any) and how they will they differ from droids.

There are still more elements I am looking forwards to too, for post release. Particularly the human interactions - inside ships, planet surfaces etc.
Seeing you seem really attached to make this real one day can't please me more.

Quite off-topic but, is there any chances to see old Frontier Development games available again in platforms like Steam or GOG.com? I for one would love to play with Virus 2000 or Infestation again... Could be an alternate way to gather money to sustain Elite Dangerous' development.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Hello David.

I have been wondering about the capabilities of procedural generation in the Cobra engine.

Now the creation of a 1:1 galaxy is a huge achievement, but a galaxy is a macroscopic entity that can be approximated by use of relatively simple rules. I'm not saying it's easy, just saying that it's not necessarily complex.
( Feel free to tell me i'm wrong :) )

The question is, how will procedural generation manage to create a 1:1 Earth, populated by billions of people and animals, with huge urban cities in many different styles, and all this meanwhile being believable, immersive and high quality?
There seem to be an enormous amounts of variables that come into play here that need to be tweaked.

In many ways, i would find such a 1:1 seamless recreation of Earth where we can walk around an even bigger achievement than a 1:1 galaxy.

True. That's one of the reasons we want to phase the deliveries of such things. Having said that we also have quite a few things working in our favour. In the fiction we already have the Earth of 3300 having changed quite significantly - just imagine travelling back to the year 700 - ie the 'Dark Ages' - that is the same distance away in time...

The coastlines will be similar, but significantly changed due to rising sea levels. Many coastal cities will have long gone and some new cities with similar names (in Frontier "New San Francisco" was a few hundred miles inland of where San Francisco is today) popped up on the higher land nearby.

So we will not recreate today's cities or today's Earth, but something that might be possible in 1300 years time.

Half an hour and very few answered questions... does DBOBE type one fingered? ;)

Seriously though, what other features that you haven't announced will be coming in B1?

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Thank You for making the most important game I have ever played.

With all nostalgia involved, I am not sure anything can top original Elite for me, but if ED even comes close in re-creating the feeling of wonder, I'll be ecstatic.

Thanks again and do Your best, please. :)

We are trying... ;-)

do you think that the game will require in game player admins to be a source of help and support. or would you prefer to avoid this scenario.

Hi,

Question: A number of ships, playable or otherwise, from previous incarnations are now clearly ruled in ("Cobra Mk III" for example).

Are any ship types from previous incarnations definitely ruled out from the initial release or even subsequent expansions?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom