News David Braben Live Chat Thread - Today (17th July) at 4pm BST

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Question: How does one go about interviewing David? Would love to see an interview that doesn't cover the same thing over and over. I volunteer :D

What the chance of having a limited number of ship types with different flight models?

IE: Yaw and Roll with limited Pitch or equal but more limited Yaw, Roll and Pitch.

Only thinking of one or two ship of this type in the total game and only a limited number of them to be bought.

Last edited:
Sorry - pressed 'submit' prematurely...

4. Hyperjumping - there are changes being made to this, but it will be different to that. The effect in the video at the time was a prototype.
5. Yes - this is being improved continuously. More to come... ;-)

Thx David for taken the time to answer me..

The video even if it was a prototype was

As we say in Scotland Class in a Glass :D
& different Huds will be better put in sooner rather than later
So people can get used to them I think,
But over all I love the alpha testing.. Haven't had a chance to try the Beta yet.. Just a lot on at the moment.. But am loving it :D

Thx for making this game alive again..
The only game I ever liked was elite & frontier.. Etc cheers :D

Gimballed Weapons

Hi David - great vision that's really coming together now :)

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the effectiveness of gimballed weapons on the forum, with some players wanting them less effective, and others saying they preferred the way they worked in the first beta 2.00

What's your own view on this, and do you use them ?

Thanks for the great looking ED.

Question: Guild functionality above and beyond what's planned for Alliances has been quite a hot topic on the forums recently. What is your view of guilds and even basic guild functionality? I also have a concern with Alliances being open for anyone to recruit in to them. It could be exploitable by gankers and griefers.

Thanks again.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Will people that play in single player and private groups be able to influence the world in the same way as people in the all group?

For example, a blockade in the all group could stop players delivering goods, but the blockade could be avoided by going into a private group.

They are all working together. The blockades will be largely AIs, and that will still exist.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
David - Has Michael worn the Helmet he got at Lavecon around the office?
or
Michael - have you worn your helmet in the office?

10420359_10152256261642336_8391674682410591947_n.jpg

Yes and it lives on my desk.

Michael

Hi David,

As a BBC B player from the 80s, congrats on realising the Elite vision on 21st century tech!

But what about multi-monitor support?

Currently 3x horizontal works but is more of a cludge and certainly isn't optimal. But what about 2x horizontal, or even 2x in a vertical plain?

Can you let us know any details on official multi-monitor support?

^^^ + any news on SLi / Crossfire support?

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Hi David - great vision that's really coming together now :)

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the effectiveness of gimballed weapons on the forum, with some players wanting them less effective, and others saying they preferred the way they worked in the first beta 2.00

What's your own view on this, and do you use them ?

Gimballed weapons are great I think - but mustn't unbalance the game. I think their powers were too high, but the principle is sound - trading some power for those who don't have quite the same pin-sharp aiming ability.

For Beta 1 we have friends lists coming, which will mean that friends get to go into the same island.
For those of us without real life (or forum) friends, will there be a way in the game for us to meet like-minded individuals for fun and good times? Is it likely to be a case of a random encounter and a little bit of small talk, or do you plan to have hubs or missions that generate those encounters?

Not quite sure what you mean. We have seamless docking with stations now. There are more station types to come. I don't expect there ever to be a loading screen, except when you first fire up the game or restart it.

Hi David, I refer to landing on a planet, without flying through an atmosphere - maybe I am mistaken.. I thought I had seen/heard that you could get within range of a planet, then you could choose a city to 'dock' at - at some point in V1.

Maybe this is all a figment of my imagination..

Thanks anyway, I am very much enjoying Elite Dangerous, and it has already exceeded my expectations, so I eagerly await future releases.

Last edited:
Is the plan to allow us to land anywhere on planets once we get this expansion, or only on selected hotspots?

I hope to land in a bay and just relax on the beach at some point. ;)

Two questions

Dear Mr.Braben

Complete newbie here. Just purchased premium beta yesterday. Used to play Elite Plus back in the late 80s early 90's (more then 100000+ credits, rating elite - but doesn't count a penny now :) ). Just a few questions:

1) Is or will it be possible to play in a kind of free mode (like in planetarium mode) just to look around without being killed by AI pirates, bounty hunters, etc., something like invisible mode. This would be extremely useful until we newbies master our piloting skills (or retired Jameson's brush up our old Elite I skills..)

2) I know it has been asked before many times but are/will you consider taking a closer look into this one guy's brilliant work:en.spaceengine.org, especially the fact that Space Engine has multiple galaxies (numbers are in the billions), and its procedural planetary surface and lighting techniques. Obviously intergalactic travel must be possible at a much later stage of the game (e.g. after planetary landings). One idea I have is by going to the galactic core and using the imense energy/gravity of the supermassive central black hole to catapult the ship into intergalactic space. Although it is probably scientifically inaccurate..

Anyway keep-up the great work and thank you for such a great legendary piece of software

Will people that play in single player and private groups be able to influence the world in the same way as people in the all group?

For example, a blockade in the all group could stop players delivering goods, but the blockade could be avoided by going into a private group.

They are all working together. The blockades will be largely AIs, and that will still exist.

Thank you for the reply.

Gimballed weapons are great I think - but mustn't unbalance the game. I think their powers were too high, but the principle is sound - trading some power for those who don't have quite the same pin-sharp aiming ability.

Inevitable question has to be then: what about turret control? Gunner control was done really well in Rowan's Battle of Britain game...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom