Lavecon 2017

Lavecon 2017 is this weekend! And that's all I really know... So, what is this "Lavecon", how do we participate from afar (is it streamed?), and what do you think will be revealed based on previous Lavecons?

Oh, and are any of you who are local to the event (where is it?) going to be there in person?

I'ts a fan organised convention, in Northampton, England. some parts will be streamed (they have been in the past) but as it is spread over 2 full days, not everything gets streamed.

Last edited:
Th event is in Northampton, UK at Sedgebrook Hall and its a scifi, fantasy and board gaming event but a lot of it is focused on Elite

Its a 2hr drive for me and i did think about going until i saw the ticket price.

I imagine any big reveals will be posted on this forum within minutes, so keep an eye on the Dangerous Discussion section over the weekend

As for what they will reveal, they usually tend to show something so attendees might get to see some more 2.4 teasers or maybe another sneaky preview

Last edited:
Its organised by those nice folk from Lave Radio. (http://laveradio.com/) Originally, if I recall correctly, it was a bunch of them deciding to get together in real life, and then finding others (including some from FDev) wanted to come too, and it all going on from that. ...I will get there one year, honest :)

Th event is in Northampton, UK at Sedgebrook Hall and its a scifi, fantasy and board gaming event but a lot of it is focused on Elite

Its a 2hr drive for me and i did think about going until i saw the ticket price.

I imagine any big reveals will be posted on this forum within minutes, so keep an eye on the Dangerous Discussion section over the weekend

As for what they will reveal, they usually tend to show something so attendees might get to see some more 2.4 teasers or maybe another sneaky preview

do we really need spies in the dangerous discussions, we don't want to lose any good people to the prison salt mines ;). we could send some newbies in there, give them some work experience

do we really need spies in the dangerous discussions, we don't want to lose any good people to the prison salt mines ;). we could send some newbies in there, give them some work experience

It should be our version of the trials. If they survive and make it back to us then they are a keeper.

Lave Radio did an interview a couple of weeks back with the LaveCom organisers. They are / were planning to stream a few twitch feeds across the weekend, covering the various bits that are happening.

Frontier have also said that they will be providing more details on the upcoming 2.4 development work but what they will be able to say at this time is lost to me.

There are also things like EDRPG, a VR rig playing Elite & other games (they were planning Star Trek Bridge commander for example) and tech demonstrations for things like EDTracker.

They also have scheduled to consumer copious amounts of real ale, Hog Roast and Pizza so depending on how these go, the planned events may change.

Last edited:
I'll be there this year (and was there last year too).

I guess the draft timetable of events gives you a flavour of what it's about ...

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/32673d_2aa34a1aba6c4b43b32b1511572f3161.pdf

The Frontier Q&A on Saturday should be really interesting, it's been confirmed that the following people will be on the panel:

Sandro Sammarco (Lead designer)
Adam Woods (Producer)
Dav Stott (Lead Server Developer)
Mark Allen (Senior Programmer)
Steve Kirby (Lead Designer)

Lave Radio are going to try and broadcast some of the good stuff on their twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/laveradio

Basically it should be a weekend of sun, beer and all things ED related. Here's the photos from last year.

http://gallery.oliverfacey.co.uk/p738759647

Last edited:
It should be our version of the trials. If they survive and make it back to us then they are a keeper.

now that sounds like a plan, though if we really wanted to test theml, we could of got them to post in the pc forum. unfortunately torturing raw recruits is forbidden by many laws in the galaxy

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I'll be there too! It's going to be my 3rd Lavecon - I absolutely loved the previous 2.

In terms of news - it's hard to say. The first time I was there FDEV have revealed quite a bit, the 2nd time - not so much... I hope it's back to number 1 this year!

Also, I can't recommend Lavecon enough. There is something very special about the whole thing - the atmosphere, the people, the activities... The first time I went there, I immediately felt like I'm amongst friends, the second time felt like it was a family gathering. Everyone's so friendly and chilled out, you get to meet a lot of the people from the community and beyond, not to mention the possibility of having a chat with FDEV over a pint of Northampton's finest.

There is one thing that is VERY bad though. Coming back to reality!

I'ts a fan organised convention, in Northampton, England. some parts will be streamed (they have been in the past) but as it is spread over 2 full days, not everything gets streamed.

How dare you get us mixed with them pinheads!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom