Guide / Tutorial 2.4 / Thargoid FAQ

The Thargoid Probe Has Been Fixed

Several weeks ago I was conducting phenomenology of the Thargoid Probe (formerly known as the Unknown Probe). I found that it was not functioning as reported in previous investigations (by CMDRs Wace, Kal, and others). Basically the Thargoid Probe’s tightbeam signal was not reporting the octals that encode the distance to Col 70 FY-N C21-3. To be more specific, it was failing to do so around bodies without a reported atmospheric pressure, such as airless moons, airless planets, and even gas giants (CMDR @kal reproduced my findings). I had submitted a bug report with my findings:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...d-Airless-Planets-Moons?p=5776887#post5776887

Below shows an illustration of the malfunction:

4j9M9Si.jpg

So, naturally, I wanted to find out if this had been addressed by the fdevs/Thargoids in 2.4. I am happy to report that the Thargoid Probe now functions properly:

jwoso2b.jpg

It’s good to know that the device is now functioning as intended. But at the same time I am a bit saddened because we thought we were onto something new and unique, something we could leverage to find other Unknown Structures. Ah well =)

Thank you. Just arrived in Maia. Wish I'd known about the limpets when I left Shinrarta. :/

Any station that has rearm will supply limpets
Advanced maintenance in station services
Cargo rack to carry them needed

Unless you mean the actually controller

In which case, surface military ports, that are in rich systems

such as

Messerschmid Bastion | Howard

Last edited:
I added links to search Eddb for the new stuff - let me know if they don't work - though remember modules can go out of stock. Some reported locations don't follow expectations - the base on Brestla appears to be a Colony but has the limpet controller - all others I see referenced are Military, so I've just put up a link for Military on the FP.

Just had my first encounter NHSS(5) - in sector Pleiades Sector QO-Q B5-2. It had 8 sections to it with lots of little fighters(?) flying in a circle around it. I have video captured with it being my first encounter. It didn't like the look of my trade cutter when I scanned it, so I ran away. :D

Ignore it if it's already mentioned:

You can spot Thargoid Structure Sites easily from OC. From a height ~120km you can see them clearly as a pale green dot on the surface. Just wanted to mention that.

Ok, I'll ask for a sticky - don't want to promote my own work if people don't find it useful :)

Starting on a timeline in post #2 (mostly for my own benefit).

Added the Anti-EMP and tidied up some of the out of date info.

Are those original AX missiles any good any more? I have a FdL with 4 of them parked at that base near Maia (Merope?)
Also, I passed by there on the weekend... any idea when that base will come out of lockdown?

Are those original AX missiles any good any more? I have a FdL with 4 of them parked at that base near Maia (Merope?)
Also, I passed by there on the weekend... any idea when that base will come out of lockdown?

The AX missiles are still the only show in town for exerting the hearts. They just don't do much to the hearts anymore once exerted.

Have all the AEGIS bases in the Pleiades Sector been mentioned in the timeline.

I know there are six new ones, but didn't frontier say they're planning 20?

Top Bottom