Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Let me get this right....The vocal backers of SC think there should be no refunds because reasons.

Would they be happy if CIG released alpha 3.0 to the masses and said, "Right, this is version 1.0 Star Citizen the game. Our work here is done."

That way they could refuse ALL refunds on the grounds they had shipped a product.

The vocal die-hards will believe cig will keep on working no matter what. Some will forever believe one beautiful day CR would return with the Divine Patch.

Because CiG can identify the player and slap them with the NDA clauses

So wait, lemme get this straight... CIG promises stuff, several times over, in written form, in video form, in audio form etc., and breaks nearly eery single one of them... can do whatever without backers able to say anything.

A backer that does just exactly the same gets punished.

Ah, ok.

So wait, lemme get this straight... CIG promises stuff, several times over, in written form, in video form, in audio form etc., and breaks nearly eery single one of them... can do whatever without backers able to say anything.

A backer that does just exactly the same gets punished.

Ah, ok.

It is really strange relationship there between CIG and community. I never tried to understand it fully.

Let me get this right....The vocal backers of SC think there should be no refunds because reasons.

Would they be happy if CIG released alpha 3.0 to the masses and said, "Right, this is version 1.0 Star Citizen the game. Our work here is done."

That way they could refuse ALL refunds on the grounds they had shipped a product.

EDIT: Look at them...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...irmed_no_refunds_policy_now_in_place/do9bud3/

This thread on the main sub is not too different either https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/75wpe5/that_other_sub_today/

It seems to these people that consumer protection is great until it hurts something they are "invested" in.

I would just like to add that as someone who doesn't know anything about game development (except that what I've learned from reading the forums, so still basically zero) the one hundred systems at launch could have seemed like quite a plausible goal without the benefit of hindsight.

When put next to ED's stated ambition and vision of 400 billion procedurally generated star systems 100 hand crafted ones seems quite reasonable just by sheer difference in numbers, again to people who don't know about the intricacies of game development.

Sure it would have been a lot of work but at the beginning there was a lot of good faith all just waiting to be squandered with the subsequent 5 years of comical flailing around, total howlers of presentations, constant money grubbing, shady terms of service re-writes with no legal standing, starting a pointlessly damaging public feud with a peripheral game developer, and toxic as hell community.

People are making it look worse (more impossible then it was) then it really was. It was 100 systems, but each system would have a set number of points of interest. There was no free exploration of a planet, or even exploration on a planet at all, even small areas (these things were added). At one point it was just going to be 400 points that you could go to, with modular buildings and recycled assets it is doable.

How could they do that? Do they monitor these avocados 24/7? I'm not seeing anything on those leaks that reveal the identity of the avocado.

Watermarks are unique to the player. Every screenshot or video will have that unique watermark on it. So if the leaks get near SC devs they are able to decipher the watermark on the screenshot/video to find out who it was and get rid of him for breaching the NDA.

How could they do that? Do they monitor these avocados 24/7? I'm not seeing anything on those leaks that reveal the identity of the avocado.

The watermark is a unique code per backer repeated over the screen. By lowering gfx quality it disappeared. With the watermark its pretty much like having the name of the leaker all over the screen. And yes, reddit/youtube is beung monitored, and plenty of hardcore idiots are willing to snitch. You might even become avocado yourself!

Most open development. :)

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
The watermark is a unique code per backer repeated over the screen. By lowering gfx quality it disappeared. With the watermark its pretty much like having the name of the leaker all over the screen. And yes, reddit/youtube is beung monitored, and plenty of hardcore idiots are willing to snitch. You might even become avocado yourself!

In that case, hiding the watermark does not explain the photoshopping of one area of that pic.

This open development is behind a labyrinth of mirrors and doors filled with fog its getting stupid to claim its open at all.

Even more so if you think about how defensive the backers are about CIG using "alpha, pre-alpha" to explain everything wrong in the game since 3 years. And still didnt got better.
ED: Alpha comes out, yes sure make as much videos about this ,limited prove of concept, you like.
SC: you as a Alpha backer will get full access to all Alpha from every build aslong you are that special snowflake called Evocati and has a invested interest in the vision of SC, which we have to protect with a NDA and watermarking this is the most open development ever done! Praise us!

I took a moment to remind the OP there that refunders were once just like he is, and one day, maybe not with SC, possibly with another product, he might be one of those looking for a refund.

Seeing as they are all experts in consumer law, you shouldn't have had to. ;)

It looks like they pilot's head is moving inside the helmet? Are they big astronaut helmets? I thought they were like motor bike helmets.
I would have thought that having your head moving around inside the helmet would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place. The last thing you want is for head to bash against the inside of that thing.

That first video is a giggle-fest. 100 hand-crafted systems! Who in their right mind believed that?!
I wasn't really up on the whole SC thing back when that was being touted since I was following the other game. But I doubt I would have believed it even back then, with the knowledge that they would have to delve into PG territory to some degree or another.

Unfortunately, in 2014, there was no reason NOT to believe that CIG could pull it off. It is only in hindsight, seeing broken promise after promise, along side massive feature creep, that that video seems rather... naive.
I'd have to put myself in that camp too. I had no reason to believe they couldn't mess things up and as the money rolled in it seemed more and more likely. How wrong I was.
Not very inspiring....

"Looking at an asteroid cluster from Delamar"
Looks like it was procedurally generated yesterday.

Another image fwiw. Reddit reaction here.

9546vrme0erz.jpg

Last edited:
This whole idea that CIG are denying refunds on the basis that 3.0, which is still not in the hands of the community at large and only a handful of guinea pigs..erm, trialists, because 3.0 means they have delivered something meaningful, like it's a line in the sand, seems like a classic case of wanting to have their cake and eat it.

They can't do that while at the same time deflecting criticism away on the basis that it's an early alpha/pre-alpha/code QR-coded in from the back of a napkin.

It's ridiculous. From the leaks I have seen so far it seems little better that what was shown at Gamescom.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom