Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"Distance to Ceilin: 8855km"
Wot?!

https://tof.cx/images/2017/10/12/c0a8e12c694a9819a1687135ee6ea67b.png

"Distance to Daymar 107158Km"
Wodda heckin wut?!?!!!

https://tof.cx/images/2017/10/12/9e95def0d5452be223f1624779140809.png

And yes, the Immershun Outcentered Helmet Technology™ is awful.

It's Freelancer all over again, except with an extra zero or two at the end. [haha]

Then again, I suppose that's actually a good thing — it's hell of a lot closer to what they originally pitched (and to a fun game) than the nonsense they've been peddling ever since.

Heh - unintended consequences..

Hey! Only the inner circle is supposed to know the company motto! Shhh! :x

Last edited:
Wow, ppl on reddit really freak out over this? I can show you random gas giant location from ED that looks 10x nicer. I can already see injecting this grey/beige (!) graphics with some of my ReShade stuff.
Anyway, what is going on with SC, reading lst few pages of our forum here hinted that ship is going down or something? And no more refunds?

It's all speculation, there where a few instances of rejected refunds on reddit. Let's not forget how often the end(TM) has been announced. I agree with you on that shot. Noting really special, cannot understand why people freak out about it.

It looks like they pilot's head is moving inside the helmet? Are they big astronaut helmets? I thought they were like motor bike helmets.
I would have thought that having your head moving around inside the helmet would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place. The last thing you want is for head to bash against the inside of that thing.

It's probably an artefact of SC's fundamentally misconstrued attempt at “realism” and “simplification” in how it treats the camera.

Remember how they were making all this noise about how first-person and third-person movement ant models were cleverly reused so everyone saw the same thing? All it really did was make the camera wobble around because it was tied to how the 3D model moved, rather than designed to actually present a useful view to the player. After much hand-wringing, they added a camera stabilisation to combat that movement and make it behave more like what you'd want, except it was still tied to the 3D model and still not designed as a proper first-person camera — it was one system fighting another to make it appear to work like yet a third system.

So it's highly likely that it's the first-person view being jostled one way by the model, then forced back into a more sensible position by the stabilisation, and then blocked by the model because after all, it is now in a position that is not consistent with where the camera was originally supposed to be. It's similar to how they had all these issues with FoV because all that happened when you adjusted it was that you saw more helmet — the camera was still placed inside of that model, rather than handled correctly as a free-floating viewpoint.

reading lst few pages of our forum here hinted that ship is going down or something? And no more refunds?

Nah, that's just normal around here :D

And yeah, seems like CIG are trying to deter people from seeking refunds at the moment, claiming they are too busy working on 3.0 and they are not willing to give refunds at this time... or possibly never again if they can help it.

Talk on the refunds sub is now about legal action and going via various consumer protection agengies.

Basically the stakes have been raised now. Like happened a couple of years back when they were last legally challenged. Either CIG feel like they are in a more secure position now legally speaking, and think they can refuse refunds, or they are just trying to delay until Citizencon and the expected surge of funding. Either way, doesn't make CIG look very good and naturally people will assume this is because CIG are running out of cash.

Results may vary depending on the countries where people are located, but i suspect over the coming days and weeks, CIG are going to get a few legal looking letters from various sources.

Remember, SC fans have been starving for good news so for them being happy for some good screenies from 3.0 is all good and human. It looks ok, if game would be actually working and without bugs that would be something to check out.

It looks ok, if game would be actually working and without bugs that would be something to check out.

I agree, I have the basic ship and I lost all interest in flying aimlessly around that port with rings long time ago - I do want to land on Yela or any other planet tho. I was actually impressed with crafted demo showed on last livestream (as far as planet surface goes).

Wow, ppl on reddit really freak out over this? I can show you random gas giant location from ED that looks 10x nicer. I can already see injecting this grey/beige (!) graphics with some of my ReShade stuff.
Anyway, what is going on with SC, reading lst few pages of our forum here hinted that ship is going down or something? And no more refunds?

Amusing thing is how another space game had "boring planets" , but now they've got a moon they're falling over themselves to get excited about it.

Bless.

Last edited:
It might be because people scale down graphic settings to avoid the watermarks (poor move on behalf of CiG btw, it only helps to peeve off their last remaining loyalists) but I find the moon and planet screenshots "okay" but anything but remarkable. Another space sim game I wont mention has far nicer visuals even tho its only an "inch deep". The only saving grace for SC are the pics with a ship in it because the planets are plain boring and bland.

BDSSE? Hell no.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be because people scale down graphic settings to avoid the watermarks ( move on behalf of CiG btw, it only helps to peeve off their last remaining loyalists) but I find the moon and planet screenshots "okay" but anything but remarkable. Another space sim game I wont mention has far nicer visuals even tho its only an "inch deep". The only saving grace for SC are the pics with a ship in it because the planets are plain boring and bland.

BDSSE? Hell no.

Best Damn Scam Seen Ever? Its funny how you can turn everything associated with SC into a negative light...

This whole idea that CIG are denying refunds on the basis that 3.0, which is still not in the hands of the community at large and only a handful of guinea pigs..erm, trialists, because 3.0 means they have delivered something meaningful, like it's a line in the sand, seems like a classic case of wanting to have their cake and eat it.

That really seems to sum up this 3.0 "release". They desperately want to give the impression that they've finally produced it, all of it, I mean look at all the cool features listed in the patch notes, right? But at the same time, the truth about what features it does or does not actually include is locked away behind NDAs and watermarks and excuses about rolling out features in waves, and who knows how long it will be before it's deemed ready for the rest of us filthy backer plebs. Months would be my guess. So really it's just a way to buy even more time, because it's clearly still not "done" by any stretch of the imagination.

I expect the line at CitizenCon will be something like "We know it took a little longer than expected, hahaha, but now that 3.0 is finally in players' hands, we can start looking to the future and all the exciting things we have planned for upcoming patches!" But as far as I'm concerned, as long as 3.0 is evocati-only, they haven't delivered it.

I guess they can simply tag it "Alpha" ramp up the promotions and rake in the cash without fear of a single review and a standard "eh it's an Alpha" response to any criticism. With invested backers gleefully removing any references to bad press from the Wikipedia page. No need to offer refunds because Alpha is the new Released.

The modern state of PC gaming. Why bother with pesky optimisation expensive servers and troublesome support when you can simply slap on "Alpha" and have your cash now?

Also, what's with those new refund requests? "We're too busy with all the POSITIVE feedback to handle your request"? That's just another way of saying "LA LA LA we're not listening". I thought they put considerable time and money into "building a company" yet their staff can't handle basic administration once they start getting too much "POSITIVE" feedback from a small group of players? How the heck are they going to handle the demands of running a AAA gaming studio? What happens if they get NEGATIVE feedback? Do they have a complete melt down?

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I agree, I have the basic ship and I lost all interest in flying aimlessly around that port with rings long time ago - I do want to land on Yela or any other planet tho. I was actually impressed with crafted demo showed on last livestream (as far as planet surface goes).

Agree as well.

I played a fair amount of SC before getting my refund, and there really *is* a nugget of something awesome there. To say I didn't have some fun would be lie. Question is : is it worth it for what's there, and does one believe they can deliver? Everyone has to answer that for themselves.

Course now it looks like CIG is making that decision for you. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom