96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

Well, I'm cool with it now, for me, a QA tester made a mistake, and people took advantage of it.

There's no cloak and dagger going on. It's a bit disappointing, but I suspect said QA tester will be more careful in future after this drama.

Case closed for me.

(Also, any QA testers that want more friends on their freidns list... my commander name is the same as my forum name. Just sayin :) )

Just remember guys ... a bunch of randoms on 4chan found Shia's flag in the middle of nowhere, by looking at the stars and flight patterns of planes ...

I can absolutely believe people like that also play this game and can find stuff in the same manner.

Just remember guys ... a bunch of randoms on 4chan found Shia's flag in the middle of nowhere, by looking at the stars and flight patterns of planes ...

I can absolutely believe people like that also play this game and can find stuff in the same manner.

Only Thing is: The first base found was NOT the one in the video. As per the other thread.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383412-INRA-is-ingame?p=6011827&viewfull=1#post6011827
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383412-INRA-is-ingame?p=6012197&viewfull=1#post6012197

I dont care much for cheaters. One way or the other.

Someone datamined the info.
'nuff said!*
/thread.

/thread

I can't blame them though, as I can see how exploring code can be alot more fun than exploration currently is in the game.
You give the spoiler WAY too much credit. Hacking code or encrypted files is not something on his intellectual radar.

What he does is install a piece of easily available shareware software (a programmers tool with genuine and legitimate use) and fly from planet to planet until it tells him the planet has something unusual on it. Doesnt even have to go into orbit.
NOT a hacker. NOT at all clever, sneaky, devious or knowledgeable.

You give the spoiler WAY too much credit. Hacking code or encrypted files is not something on his intellectual radar.

What he does is install a piece of easily available shareware software (a programmers tool with genuine and legitimate use) and fly from planet to planet until it tells him the planet has something unusual on it. Doesnt even have to go into orbit.
NOT a hacker. NOT at all clever, sneaky, devious or knowledgeable.

Would be nice to know more details, sounds like an out of game scanner :)

If you have any references to information that lead you the believe that "scraping" techniques were used, please let me know where that is! I'm a programmer and I doubt this to be true without further proof.

Here's why I doubt this to be true. If the game had in system details for the entire galaxy saved to disk I might believe this, but it doesn't. When you bring up the Galaxy Map, you're just looking at the main coordinates for each system a few other details like the type of main star etc. You don't get the details for a system until you "travel" there. Once in a system you don't even have all the details on that system depending on how far away things are. In this sense the Frontier Galaxy is much like the World Wide Web in that you don't get the details of a web page until you access the page and you don't get the details of links on that page until you access them. The Frontier Galaxy is NOT like that Web, however, in that you cannot (or at least Frontier does not give you license to) just access all the data from the Galaxy server(s) freely like you can any WWW server. Therefore, it would be much harder the scrape that data like you can when it's all on disk or all freely available.

But the asset list mixed with the real time log would provide that information. You find the new asset ID and then you jump to a system and check the log and look for said new access. Rinse and repeat until you have found it. The only thing you would not be able to find is exactly where on the planet surface the new asset is as that is generated server side. But yes, all of the assets are on the local machine and they must be loaded into memory at some point. You dont need to have the entire galaxy loaded onto the machine, just need to know the name of the asset.

Even if they dont load the assets in the system during initial log in, then the worst they would have to do is fly to each planet and drop out of SC in the well. It will have to display the asset list for the planet at that point. So slightly slower, but hundreds of times faster than not using any tools at all like everyone else.

Last edited:
I would like to take this opportunity to say, "I am woefully wrong and I apologize for any harm done by my post."

In all seriousness, I do apologize and am sorry for any mayhem this has caused. I may have been a bit salty due to lack of caffeine yesterday morning.

As stated, I do love this game. I have been playing for 2+ years now and have no real intention of ever stopping. If it helps, we can lock this thread?

Ok, so OP has asked for the thread to be locked?

Mods any reason why it isn’t?

As the discussions after this post appear to not take into account the fact that The OP appears satisfied that there isn’t shinanegans.

It does appear to me that this thread has descended into the realm of virtual pitchforks.

just to be pedant:

"data mining is the computing process of discovering patterns in large data sets involving methods at the intersection of machine learning, statistics, and database systems." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining)

this is not the same as exploring a binary package and extracting or 'ripping' resources from it.

you're welcome. please go on with whatver this is :D

Ok, so OP has asked for the thread to be locked?

Mods any reason why it isn’t?

As the discussions after this post appear to not take into account the fact that The OP appears satisfied that there isn’t shinanegans.

It does appear to me that this thread has descended into the realm of virtual pitchforks.

Why do you or anyone else feel the need to do this? Just stop reading the thread.

Trade used to be biggest the credit-churning career, so a trader in a 'coda with harmless/mostly harmless ranking isn't a massive surprise.

I have gone through my Anaconda days and into a Cutter but I am still Mostly Harmless, and that only because I killed some NPCs by stroke of luck in my early days.

It does lock me out of certain engineers that depend on combat rank, but it does keep the deadlier NPCs away :)

Stop underestimating uber-nerd's abilities. (I say this with some degree of indimidation, admoration, respect, and abhoration)

The problem I have with this is that in most other cases, the discoverer took great pains to explain his logic & procedure so that other people might be able to find other things with that process. Not in this case though - it's been coy from the beginning.

Has anyone mentioned that the weekend before the INRA discovery there was an event where the public mingled with some fairly happy FD devs, with alcohol to loosen their tongues ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom