Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Yggdrasil (21 - 29 October 3303)

Buckyball Racing Club presents: Yggdrasil (21 - 29 October 3303)
yggdrasil_banner.png

kyKOPRC.jpg

Intro
"Have you listened to one single word I've said?" Odin asked, his sole remaining eye focused on Thor.
"Uh, no. Sorry father." Thor mumbled, scratching his orange, mead-stained beard.
"If you could just stop thinking of Jarnsaxa for one minute and listen, you would be back in the mead hall in no time. And I wouldn't have to explain this to you again!"
"Sure. I'll listen this time." Thor sighed, slightly more motivated.
"As you know, the thargoids are back. We..."
"The who?"
"The alien plant things!"
"Oh, those."
"...must do something. Humanity has grown soft and complacent. They won't stand a chance unless they toughen up!"
"Was it Loki's idea to require permit to land on Valhalla? Almost no one ever comes here now." Thor interrupted.
"Well, we did want to keep the riffraff out." Odin explained, remembering who's idea it actually was.
"What about Frey? Wasn't he trying to interact with the mortals. I remember him saying something about a race..."
"He crashed Skíðblaðnir last week. In the Wasat system. Now he's sitting in Alfheim, sulking."
"Figures. Damned Vanir! They can't do anything right!"
"Obviously not. Sif married you, didn't she?"
"Ouch. That was a stab in the back, father!"
"Well, if you stopped putting your sword in the wrong sheath, I'm sure she would speak to you again. Eventually."
"She's overreacting!"
"Whatever. But we've got more pressing matters to attend to than your family problems. We must do something. Now."
"But what?"
"I think Frey was onto something with the racing idea. There's an organisation, the Buckyball Racing Club. It unites Valhalla-worthy pilots from all planets and affiliations. If we can use them to gain a little publicity..."
"A race, eh? Will there be lots of mead, crashes and pretty wenches?"
Odin sighed.
Valhalla Unltd. is sponsoring a race in honour of the ancient norse religion originating from the northern part of the European continent on Earth. Nowadays the religion is mainly extinct, but some enclaves remain, mainly in settlements with north-european and japanese ethnicity. A spokesperson from the Valhalla Unltd. stated the following during the press release:
"Listen up everyone! Go out there. Win or die trying. Now, where's the mead and the wenches?"

Declaring your intent to race:

Optional, but encouraged.
State your CMDR name, your ship name and ship type. If possible, include a battle cry.

Even more optional: Blot to the gods!
To ensure the favour of the gods, you should perform a sacrifice (a blot).
You may blot any amount of the following goods:
Beer
Animal meat
Fish
Slaves
Witchhaul Kobe Beef
Albino Quechua Mammoth Meat
Buckyball Beer Mats

The blot should be performed in one of the following systems:
Thor (63 ly from sol)
Thor's eye (4229 ly from sol)
Odin's Wisdom (918 ly from sol)
Njordr (72 ly from sol)
Tyr (86 ly from sol)
Frey (109 ly from sol)
Freyr (56 ly from sol)

You make the blot by dropping out of supercruise in the choosen system and jettison the cargo.
Add a screenshot of your blot to your intent to race.

FAQ
Q: I want to ensure the favour of the gods. May I blot every type of cargo at every system in the list?
A: Sure. But one screenshot is enough.

Q: I'm a cheapskate. I only want to blot 1 ton of beer in the system closest to my current location. Is this OK?
A: It's OK with me. Unless Thor strikes you down with a lightning bolt, it's OK with him too.

Q: I'm a vegan. May I blot fruit and vegetables instead?
A: Interesting experiment. Why don't you go ahead and try?

Q: Ops! I forgot to blot and I have already begun racing! What do I do now?
A: As the blot is considered part your intent to race, it is in fact optional. You may skip it or do it at any time during the race.

Q: Should I blot for each ship I fly in the race?
A: No, once is enough.

Q: My religion prohibits me from making sacrifices to other deities, even in games. Since I cannot blot, does this mean I can't participate?
A: As mentioned above, the blot is optional. If you are uncomfortable with it, just skip it.
The race takes place in the norse cosmology. This map shows all the details:
AvIR4oq.jpg

You may race in one or both of the two classes described below:

The Squirrel

Ratatoskr is a squirrel who runs up and down the world tree Yggdrasil to carry messages between the eagle and the hawk Veðrfölnir, perched atop Yggdrasil, and the dragon Níðhöggr. Can you do it faster? Of course you can! But you need to be a bird to do it.

In this race you must fly one of the following ships. Note the exact specifications. Each ship has its own pros and cons. Well, cons mostly.
The Eagle
The Imperial Eagle
The Vulture

You can buy the ships here

Engineer mods, jumponium synthesis and NS / WD FSD boosting are not allowed.
Heat sink synthesis not allowed.

The route

Start at Lee Survey, Ratatosk.
Visit the three Norns (Urd, Skuld and Verðandi) in any order. No landing needed!
Land at Greene Mines, Nithhogg

Important:
You may not run this race in the opposite direction! (Nithhogg -> Ratatosk)!

P1HGgCm.jpg

Evidence
Before starting, take a screenshot of your modules. Then take one screenshot before taking off from Lee Survey, one of the galaxy map for each Norn and finally one landed in Greene Mines, Nithhogg. This will result in a total of six screenshots.

The Wyrm

Slither around the nine worlds as a snake. In this race you may choose any small or medium snake ship (Adder, Asps, Cobras, Diamondbacks, Fer-de-Lance, Keelback, Python, Sidewinder and Vipers).

Engineer mods are permitted.
The use of jumponium synthesis is not allowed.
The use of neutron star or white dwarf FSD boosting is allowed, but you may not begin a run with your FSD pre-charged from a double-charge.

The route and how to prove you ran it

Start in Bifrost, Godwin Hangar (M) 373 ls. Screenshot before taking off required.
Then, visit the eight systems below in ANY order:
Alfheim, NO landing needed. Screenshot of galaxy map required.
Asgaa, Wheeler Horizons (L), 858 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Hel, Jones Orbital (L) 3,771 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Midgard, Rontgen Port (L) 2,107 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Muspelheim, NO landing needed. Screenshot of galaxy map required.
Nidanga, Blodgett Colony M 1,416 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Niflheimri, Roentgen Settlement (M) 385 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Vanir, McClintock Dock (L) 680 ls. Landed screenshot required.
Finish your race in:
Jotunheim, Big Harry's Monkey Hangout (L) 145 ls. Landed screenshot required.

This will result in a total of 10 screenshots.
Important: You are allowed to run this race in the opposite direction (Jotunheim -> Bifrost)!

8FJwU17.jpg

Optional difficulties for the Wyrm

Too easy? Well, here's some optional rules to make your life more complicated.

Viking raiding party: Full set of ballistic weapons (no mines, no lasers) in highest possible class (no class 1 weapon in a class 2 hardpoint) + shields (any grade or class). ALL modules MUST be powered while deployed! Screenshot of your outfitting required for verification.
Time reduction: 120 s.

I'm in God mode!: Race with no shields and finish with 100% hull at end of race (no repairs).
Screenshots of your credits before and after the race needed for verification.
Time reduction: 30 s.

Explorer: Scan at least one UNKNOWN stellar body during the race.
Screenshot of the stellar body before and after scan required.
Time reduction: 60 s.

Scourge of the north: Finish the race with a bounty you didn't start with. Fines do not count. Extra bonus if this is piracy and murder.
Screenshot of your mission list before and after race required.
Read more about the requirements here!
Time reduction: 30 s / 240 s.

Ragnarök: Fly past Jormungand 32.1/-164.6/-101 (The midgard serpent). You are devoured and must reset your CMDR.

Essential links:
The Raikograms in a more manageable format
The Vikings of Bjornstad Old Norse Dictionary
Polly's crash course in Norse grammar
Norse curses!

Flúg hraðligt, commanders!

Last edited:
For the bonus in scourge of the north do you actually have to pirate some cargo and pick it up from the ship you kill?

For the bonus in scourge of the north do you actually have to pirate some cargo and pick it up from the ship you kill?

Oh heavens yes, that sounds awesome.

By the way, do missiles and railguns count as ballistic weapons?

And also, I don't get the "Ragnarok" bit at the end. Or the meanings of the three-term coordinates.

Last edited:
If you can show me you've tried hard enough, I may give the bonus anyway.
Oh heavens yes, that sounds awesome.

By the way, do missiles and railguns count as ballistic weapons?

And also, I don't get the "Ragnarok" bit at the end. Or the meanings of the three-term coordinates.
Rails and missiles work. But no mines.

You can safely ignore ragnarök. The midgard snake is a 150 ly detour from the optimal route. But I just had to put it in the race. The coordinates is the galaxy map xyz taken from eddb.

Intent to race! I gotta finish seeing what these INRA folks have been up to first, then I'll go and do a Buckyball Beer Mat blot to appease the gods.

Polly - the artwork and backstory you've put into this are AWESOME!
Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing it.
I'm greatly indebted to Jhyrryl for proofreading and valuable feedback.

The medieval Scandinavian law "Landskapslagarna" applies to this race

Sveær egho konong at taka ok sva vrækæ
The Swedes got the right to choose and to dethrone kings. (Good for me!)

Givr maþr oquæþins orð manni · þu ær æi mans maki oc eig maþr i brysti · Ek ær maþr sum þv · þeir skvlv møtaz a þriggia vægha motum · Cumbr þan orð havr giuit oc þan cumbr eig þer orð havr lutit · þa mvn han vara svm han heitir · ær eig eiðgangr oc eig vitnisbær huarti firi man ælla kvnv · Cumbr oc þan orð havr lutit oc eig þan orð havr giuit · þa opar han þry niþingx op oc markar han a iarþv · þa se han maþr þæss værri þet talaþi han eig halla þorþi · Nv møtaz þeir baþir mz fullum vapnvm · Faldr þan orð havr lutit · gildr mz haluum gialdum · Faldr þan orð havr giuit · Gløpr orða værstr · Tunga houuðbani · Liggi i vgildum acri
If someone insults another, they shall meet where three roads cross. If the wronged doesn't show up, he is what he was called and his testimony is invalid. If the wronged arrives, but not the perpetrator, he may call "honourless" three times. Otherwise they will meet in combat. If the wronged falls, half weregild (=man price) shall be paid. If the perpetrator falls, his death will go without weregild since the tounge is the bane of the head.

Ingsins mans arv takär han, män i Girklandi sitär.
No man may inherit while he sits in Greece [SIZE=1]1)[/SIZE]

All crimes, except for nidingsverk (=incorrigible crimes) may be atoned by fines. Of the fine, one third shall be paid to the wronged; one third to the härad 2); and one third to the King [SIZE=1]3)[/SIZE].

A list of incorrigible crimes (not complete but it will suffice for now):
Piracy in your own country 4)
Killing someone in the bath or someone who is using the bathroom (þa han nöte þarwa sinä)
Killing someone that sleeps
Killing a woman or a child

Weregild rates:
Swede: 8 örtug and 13 mark. Also, 9 mark must be paid to the king [SIZE=1]3)[/SIZE].
Dane or Norwegian: 9 mark 5)
Englishman or southerner (suþärman): 4 mark. Also, 2 mark must be paid to the king [SIZE=1]3), 6)[/SIZE].
A þrel (thrall): 3 mark, unless it can be proved that the thrall was worth 4.

1 örtug is 1.3 g silver (81%)
1 mark = 24 örtug

[SIZE=1]1)[/SIZE] Replace Greece with Colonia
2) The Buckyball racing club
3) Polly
[SIZE=1]4)[/SIZE] This must refer to piracy against other club members.
5) Since it doesn't look like I'm getting something if you kill Danes or Norwegians, aim for other nationalities.
6) The law is very specific on Englishmen, but the weregild is the same as for the southerners (whoever they may be).

I love everything about this race, especially the artwork.

And this bit:
"He crashed Skíðblaðnir last week. In the Wasat system. Now he's sitting in Alfheim, sulking."
Can't stop laughing. :D

Intent to race, I'll do it properly later when I can think of a battlecry and can get time to play and do a blot.

I'll use CMDR Raiko in both events. I've got an un-named Imperial Eagle somewhere that I've never used (got added as a Kickstarter reward when the iEagle was added to the game) for The Squirrel, but what are your thoughts on entering in different ships? I'll be having a go at The Wyrm in The Nomad, but I'd quite like to have a go in an FdL or Python for Viking Raiding Party / Scourge of the North. :)

Also, I'll probably use the Raiko-bot (my second account) one last time to invoke Ragnarok. That account needs a clear-save to do the one hour challenge and maybe finally the Colonia Challenge anyway. This seems the perfect time for it.

I love everything about this race, especially the artwork.

And this bit:

Can't stop laughing. :D

Intent to race, I'll do it properly later when I can think of a battlecry and can get time to play and do a blot.

I'll use CMDR Raiko in both events. I've got an un-named Imperial Eagle somewhere that I've never used (got added as a Kickstarter reward when the iEagle was added to the game) for The Squirrel, but what are your thoughts on entering in different ships? I'll be having a go at The Wyrm in The Nomad, but I'd quite like to have a go in an FdL or Python for Viking Raiding Party / Scourge of the North. :)

Also, I'll probably use the Raiko-bot (my second account) one last time to invoke Ragnarok. That account needs a clear-save to do the one hour challenge and maybe finally the Colonia Challenge anyway. This seems the perfect time for it.
Multiple ships is fine with me. Depending on how things turns out it's possible that only the best run will get a actual rank, but a ship with Viking Raiding Party / Scourge of the North WILL get on the scorebord, regardless of how many of my own rules I must break to allow it.

If Ragnarök is invoked, weird things may happen...

Fast move the sons | of Mim, and fate
Is heard in the note | of the Gjallarhorn;
Loud blows Heimdall, | the horn is aloft,
In fear quake all | who on Hel-roads are.

Yggdrasil shakes, | and shiver on high
The ancient limbs, | and the giant is loose;
To the head of Mim | does Othin give heed,
But the kinsman of Surt | shall slay him soon.

-Völuspá, stanza 46-47

Last edited:
Can I just sanity check my battle cry. It's intended to be an approximate translation of "Let's do this thing!" into old Norse (taken from ye old legend of "Alec the 5-pinted and his FA Off assault on the beast of Burnout") ...

Vér hyggja við gera þessi hlutr!

Literal translation is "we intend to do this thing" (as far as I can work out)

Can I just sanity check my battle cry. It's intended to be an approximate translation of "Let's do this thing!" into old Norse (taken from ye old legend of "Alec the 5-pinted and his FA Off assault on the beast of Burnout") ...

Vér hyggja við gera þessi hlutr!

Literal translation is "we intend to do this thing" (as far as I can work out)

That's the spirit!

Holy... errr.... whoever.

If I can manage to gather my chin off the floor in time, I'll intend to try to race. You didn't, by any chance, happen to watch (and read) "American Gods"?

Oh, and BTW - is it required or beneficial to make the blot with (one of) the ships I use for the actual race? I.e., will the benediction apply to the ship or to the pilot?

vér munu sker yðarr!

Holy... errr.... whoever.

If I can manage to gather my chin off the floor in time, I'll intend to try to race. You didn't, by any chance, happen to watch (and read) "American Gods"?

Oh, and BTW - is it required or beneficial to make the blot with (one of) the ships I use for the actual race? I.e., will the benediction apply to the ship or to the pilot?

vér munu sker yðarr!
No, I haven't seen American Gods, but I know Neil Gaiman has got a good grip of norse mythology. I've bought the book as a Christmas present to myself, so I will read it in a couple of month.

The blot is for the pilot, so you can choose any ship you like. There's no "real" bonus for doing it, but you will race knowing that at least one of the gods will be smiling (or maybe waving a big hammer in a friendly way) at you.

Ok, just running through a theoretical setup of my Sidewinder. For the Viking Raiding Party, do I have to mount actual shields, or will HRPs also be acceptable as physical shields?

Bonus question: does anyone know of a way to get that ø into the ship name/ID?

For me å, ä, ö (ö is fonetic equivalent to ø) works but not ð or þ. It may have something to do with that å, ä, ö is on the standard swedish keyboard layout.

Ok, just running through a theoretical setup of my Sidewinder. For the Viking Raiding Party, do I have to mount actual shields, or will HRPs also be acceptable as physical shields?

Bonus question: does anyone know of a way to get that ø into the ship name/ID?
Valid question. I hadn't considered HRP. If I had, I might have allowed them instead if shields. But I didn't, so plan for using real shields. Otherwise I may have to rethink things. It's possible that I do so, but I can't right now. I'll notify you if I change my mind on this.

Top Bottom