So Ship outfitted with Thargoid weapons - is powerless against gankers ?

as title says, it seems that frontier have designed it, so that thargoid weapons make you powerless to deal with gankers, but made thargoids themselves very hard to solo. is this correct, because it seems to mean, that they want people to voluntarily become powerless victims ?

whats the ingame reason that thargoid weapons have virtually zero effect on our ships.

im no victim, hence this post, im asking for clarification, if you decide to fight the thargoids, in open, are you in any way other than running away, able to defend yourself from gankers?

so yes then ? if im defending human space, i have to run from gankers turn tail and flee like a unflattering word. funny design choice.

Well, as stated, you need a lot of hull to fight Thargoids, especially if you're planning to try to solo one. Additoinally, at some point during the Thargie fight, you're going ot need POWERFUL normal weaponry to down it's shield in between hearts, so really if you're going thargie hunting, you are already in a pvp spec ship apart from the AX weapons.

I haven't done it yet, but I will soon, and when I do, I will use the FGS, outfitted with 3700 armor and a biweave shield that recharges in 22 secs, combined with 1 large G5 long range Plasma accelerator, 2 medium AX missiles, 2 small AX missiles, and 2 medium AX MCs. The large long range plasma accelerator combined with the armor will definitely be enough to keep a pvp fight going long enough (and painful enough for the enemy) that they will wish that he had picked an easier target, if I can't win.

If you are only taking AX weapons, you won't be able to kill the thargie, let alone a ganker.

Well, as stated, you need a lot of hull to fight Thargoids, especially if you're planning to try to solo one. Additoinally, at some point during the Thargie fight, you're going ot need POWERFUL normal weaponry to down it's shield in between hearts, so really if you're going thargie hunting, you are already in a pvp spec ship apart from the AX weapons.

I haven't done it yet, but I will soon, and when I do, I will use the FGS, outfitted with 3700 armor and a biweave shield that recharges in 22 secs, combined with 1 large G5 long range Plasma accelerator, 2 medium AX missiles, 2 small AX missiles, and 2 medium AX MCs. The large long range plasma accelerator combined with the armor will definitely be enough to keep a pvp fight going long enough (and painful enough for the enemy) that they will wish that he had picked an easier target, if I can't win.

If you are only taking AX weapons, you won't be able to kill the thargie, let alone a ganker.

That's a lot of medium hardpoints you got on your gunship to support the 6 experimental weapons you aren't allowed to have ;)

, I will use the FGS, outfitted with 3700 armor and a biweave shield that recharges in 22 secs, combined with 1 large G5 long range Plasma accelerator, 2 medium AX missiles, 2 small AX missiles, and 2 medium AX MCs. The large long range plasma accelerator combined with the armor will definitely be enough to keep a pvp fight going long enough (and painful enough for the enemy) that they will wish that he had picked an easier target, if I can't win.

Been away for a while, can you take more than 4 AX weapons now?
And there are small AX weapons?

Edit:

Never mind :)

Last edited:
It's an excuse why Thargoids will never become a meaningful threat anywhere but the little fish tank in the Pleiades.
The unfortunate truth. I thought thargoids would give the community a common foe because they are so disruptive. Wouldn't it be great if thargoids worked like powerplay and we had to reclaim the bubble system by system?
Too bad the thargoids are respecting our safe spaces.

The unfortunate truth. I thought thargoids would give the community a common foe because they are so disruptive. Wouldn't it be great if thargoids worked like powerplay and we had to reclaim the bubble system by system?
Too bad the thargoids are respecting our safe spaces.

...for now...

AX weapons are designed to fight aliens. Aliens with different technology to human technology. Stands to reason that weapons designed to affect alien technology may not affect human technology.

I'd be interested to read an explanation for how that might apply to projectile weapons such as MC rounds or missiles.
Kinetic force is kinetic force.

Presumably the same way you have armour-piercing rounds or not, I guess?

Armour piercing rounds work just fine on un-armored targets.

And that's just inert projectiles.
If you're talking about things like missiles, do you suppose that something like, say, an air-to-air missile isn't going to damage a building or vehicle if you shoot it at one?

At the end of the day, the damage imparted by a projectile is always going to be, at the very least, a function of it's mass and velocity striking a point on the target.
That is the minimum and will only ever be magnified as a result of specific design features such as being frangible, jacketed or tipped with another substance.

The only reason to use a FGS over a FDS for aliens is the new AX fighters.

You need a better reason?

Hell, any reason is a good reason to buy another FGS. [up]

AX weapons are medium only, and you have an imposed limit of 4 per ship.

The only reason to use a FGS over a FDS for aliens is the new AX fighters.

And the fact you need regular weapons to down the shield between hearts.

So, that doesn't really change much, all it means is a I can't use the small hard points for AX. I'll put a couple of overcharged MCs in the small slots then and use them on gankers and the thargie shield. I need to stop theorycrafting about this fight and go do it, I'll learn a lot more.

But yeh, that doesn't change the essence of my response to the OP, in fact it reinforces it. Take a ship with more hardpoints, use normal and AX weapons, and you can at least put up a little fight.

What is the expected role of the AX SLF now? Both in a wing and in a solo attempt? Currently, people trying to solo use them to distract the swarm, and a non AX one can do that just as well as an AX one, surely?

Are thargoids still soloable using 2 medium missiles and 2 medium MCs and a fighter?

Last edited:
Armour piercing rounds work just fine on un-armored targets.

But not the other way around.

It's also vitally important to remember that it's a game with imaginary aliens in spaceships, so using real-world arguments doesn't necessarily translate - and that goes for my argument as much as yours :D

It happens the way it happens because that's the way it was written to happen.

And the fact you need regular weapons to down the shield between hearts.

Aye but the extra two C1 hardpoints and distrubutor size on a ship using primarily kinetics/explosives, by themselves, don't justify abandoning the extra hull HP a dropship would afford (and having a base rebuy cost about a quarter of the FGS).

The fighters are new. As you say, the best route for you will be to go shoot things. I have limited knowledge because frankly, I'm on their side :)

Top Bottom