Automated Discovery Scanner

Before you shoot me down: I simply believe pressing and holding a mouse button down for an arbitrary amount of time is not engaging gameplay.

This is especially true with an unlimited range scanner.

Remove the need of making a fire group for this, and make it charge up and honk (don't wan't to lose that sound!) automatically as soon as something unknown is within its active range.

The bar can be shown on the UI along with Heat Sinks and Point Defense. If the scan doesn't get all of the astronomical bodies in the system, the bar returns to empty to show you still need to look; once everything is found to bar stays filled and "Completed", just like Kill Warrant scans. This would actually make shorter ranged scanners more usable for new players.

As for passive range: make it so it does the same as a targeted scan, without the target. This way you can actually multi-task while exploring, scanning bodies while still heading towards a specific destination. A targeted scan could still be done at a greater range than passive. However, Passive range might need to be brought down a bit so it only works on celestial bodies very close to you.

But, aside from being able to multi-task during exploration, it doesn't make scanning more engaging now does it?

Well, in addition to the automated honk, you could also have something like the SRV wave scanner to eliminate the need for unlimited range scans: you see the scan isn't complete and follow the bars on the wave scanner towards a gravity distortion until the discovery scanner charges up again and you find something new in the black.

So you don't have the noise on all the time, the wave scan would only show bodies that aren't picked up by the scan. This could include the new "anomalies" FDev want to add in Beyond. It would also help lead in new players to SRV scanning by making space discovery similar to ground discovery.

This is just an example of what an automated discovery scanner could open up - aside from a fire group configuration. ;)

What about you guys, do you think it's super important that we have to charge up the scanner manually?
If you don't like the idea of a wave scanner in space, what do you think it could open up to automate the Discovery Scanner?

Oh, also on the subject of scanners: shouldn't we have a Class 2 scanner that combines the Discovery Scanner and the Detailed Surface Scanner by now? :p

Agreed. Also, make detailed surface scanner scan a heavenly body that I'm very close to even if I'm not facing it. Preferably even if it is not targetted. I want that star to be scanned without stopping and facing its centre.

I can see the point of it -- although voice attack sort of makes this interactive on the vocal instead of relying on muscle memory.

Or we could actually make the DSS emergent gameplay by enhancing its use from a single button-press...

>Select Scanner Type: Stellar, Signal, Thermal, Magnetic, Light

For Stellar: Press & Hold to fire, stellar bodies revealed as normal.

For Signal:

> Select Range: >1Ls, 1Ls to 6Ls, 6Ls to 15Ls
> Press and Hold to Fire, DSS pulls signals into navigation pane that ping back

For Thermal & Magnetic:

> Select Stellar Body
> Align Ship to Vector
> Press & Hold to Scan, Reveals Thermal readouts (indicating potential information about the body such as mass, geological activity, and materials)

For Light:

> Select Stellar Body or Utilize 'Blind' 30 Degree cone
> Align Ship to Vector
> Press & Hold to Activate Light Detector, Readout indicates potential presence of anomalies
> For Blind Cone, Scanner constantly functions as ship moves and can be used to detect light distortions from stellar phenomenon the naked eye cannot perceive such as black holes or large bodies of gas.

The DSS is one of the most under-utilized tools for this game - not because players don't know how to use it, but because FDev has seen fit to create a potentially cool module and relegate is to the sole use of "Not stopping at nav beacons." It's about as exciting as the planetary software. "So you can fly on planets."

I would definitely love to see the SRV wave scanner, being used out in space.
Always think how awesome that would be, when cruising around planets

Before you shoot me down: I simply believe pressing and holding a mouse button down for an arbitrary amount of time is not engaging gameplay.

This is especially true with an unlimited range scanner.

Remove the need of making a fire group for this, and make it charge up and honk (don't wan't to lose that sound!) automatically as soon as something unknown is within its active range.

The bar can be shown on the UI along with Heat Sinks and Point Defense. If the scan doesn't get all of the astronomical bodies in the system, the bar returns to empty to show you still need to look; once everything is found to bar stays filled and "Completed", just like Kill Warrant scans. This would actually make shorter ranged scanners more usable for new players.

As for passive range: make it so it does the same as a targeted scan, without the target. This way you can actually multi-task while exploring, scanning bodies while still heading towards a specific destination. A targeted scan could still be done at a greater range than passive. However, Passive range might need to be brought down a bit so it only works on celestial bodies very close to you.

But, aside from being able to multi-task during exploration, it doesn't make scanning more engaging now does it?

Well, in addition to the automated honk, you could also have something like the SRV wave scanner to eliminate the need for unlimited range scans: you see the scan isn't complete and follow the bars on the wave scanner towards a gravity distortion until the discovery scanner charges up again and you find something new in the black.

So you don't have the noise on all the time, the wave scan would only show bodies that aren't picked up by the scan. This could include the new "anomalies" FDev want to add in Beyond. It would also help lead in new players to SRV scanning by making space discovery similar to ground discovery.

This is just an example of what an automated discovery scanner could open up - aside from a fire group configuration. ;)

What about you guys, do you think it's super important that we have to charge up the scanner manually?
If you don't like the idea of a wave scanner in space, what do you think it could open up to automate the Discovery Scanner?

Oh, also on the subject of scanners: shouldn't we have a Class 2 scanner that combines the Discovery Scanner and the Detailed Surface Scanner by now? :p

Great ideas - seconded!

I'm sure by 3033 they will have rediscovered "macros" which the user could set to be "event" triggered, like:
- Perform system scan once I drop out of Hyperspace
- Perform a detailed surface scan of anything I'm in range of
- Enable Wing Beacon when I join a wing
- Lower landing gear when I enter a station
- Drop throttle to 75% when I'm super-cruising and within 10 seconds of my destination
- Turn ship away from Sun when I exit Hyperspace (in case you're indisposed/afk)
- etc

Maybe they can add a macro tab to the right panel and let us choose which to enable?

PS: Macros were very common when I graduated college back in the late 80's, so they're due for a comeback!

Last edited:
Top Bottom