Heat sink in Supercruise

Heat sinks do work in supercruises. Can be quite usefull if your ships is overheating, e.g. while fuel-scooping. I don't think it has any effect on sensor range though, afaik thats only in 'normal' space.

Has heat sink in super-cruise some effect?

Cant be interrupt or make ship invisible on map?

It does reduce your signature display on the bridge (next to fuel gauge) however when in SC you are always visible. Only use for a heat sink in SC is heat management

hmmm.. some NPCs are invisible in super-cruise. They pulling me out even twice in the row, but nobody is on radar. Seems NPCs cheating again.

hmmm.. some NPCs are invisible in super-cruise. They pulling me out even twice in the row, but nobody is on radar. Seems NPCs cheating again.

Have you tried zooming your sensors out?

There are two ways of playing Elite when something goes wrong:

1) First blame the game and accuse thousands of lines of codes and a bunch of networking of 'cheating'. Eventually get annoyed because everything is the fault of the game.

2) First blame yourself. Figure out what you might have done wrong.

The problem with '1' is that people stop thinking after immediately blaming the game. That doesn't give any scope for improvement.

Last edited:
I had only one sship that needed heatsinks to scoop, a courier, it had G5 overcharged 3D pp with maximum debuff to heat (150%), it was insane and very annoying to fly more than 75 ly, it could not scoop for more than 7 seconds (and it only had a 2C fuel tank for weight), then last night I finally rolled a decent mass bonus on a G3 overcharged 3A, weight increased only 0.3t, power increased about 50% and heat reduced to negligible levels. I can ditch the heatsink on that ship now, actually, thanks for reminding me. :)

That's netcode delay, I believe. It happens to me too. I get the comm, but nobody is around, then the blip appears at the exact smae time as the interdiction starts. If you submit and run away, they follow you and sometimes they pop INto SC right next to you in interdiction range (as if they had followed your wake, I think that's supposed to be the illusion).

Last edited:
It always made me wonder why you can see ships in SC from 1000's of Ls away, but drop to normal space and your sensors only work for so far.

Have you tried zooming your sensors out?

There are two ways of playing Elite when something goes wrong:

1) First blame the game and accuse thousands of lines of codes and a bunch of networking of 'cheating'. Eventually get annoyed because everything is the fault of the game.

2) First blame yourself. Figure out what you might have done wrong.

The problem with '1' is that people stop thinking after immediately blaming the game. That doesn't give any scope for improvement.

*Yes, im noob. *

Of course i have max radar range, i even look at left panel for contact information. I blaming game, but i dont care about npcs they are cheating all the time with unlimited ammo for example.
Its only weird.

That's netcode delay, I believe.
Yea, probably netcode and npc spawn issue in high speed.

According to the manual, sensors in supercruise detect ships within a fixed time horizon (45 seconds). How wide that horizon is in distance will depend on how close you are to various masses.

Notably, it's not symmetric - an NPC a long way from a planet that you're close to will be able to see (and potentially even interdict) you, before you can see them.

This isn't NPC-specific: it also works with players. I had a mildly annoying conversation with another player once - we were both exploring the same system, but because of how the time horizons worked as we left and approached planets, I could see them - and send a comms message - but they couldn't see me. Then, they disappeared from my scanner as I approached a planet, but they were flying away from their planet, so I appeared on their scanner and they could send a reply ... but I couldn't reply to them because I could no longer see them.
(This was before the 2.3 improvements to the contact lists and comms)

<spot on answer snipped>...
This isn't NPC-specific: it also works with players. I had a mildly annoying conversation with another player once - we were both exploring the same system, but because of how the time horizons worked as we left and approached planets, I could see them - and send a comms message - but they couldn't see me. Then, they disappeared from my scanner as I approached a planet, but they were flying away from their planet, so I appeared on their scanner and they could send a reply ... but I couldn't reply to them because I could no longer see them.
(This was before the 2.3 improvements to the contact lists and comms)

In that situation you can use '/r <message>' to reply to the most recent sender. Works as long as you are both in the same instance and also (not entirely sure though) when you are not on each others friend list.

Top Bottom