Your Least Favourite Ship

So, let's talk about 'the other ships', the ones we sold quickly and quietly, and now only talk about in hushed voices to our closest confidents, or to distant strangers who will never know our names.

I'll start.

I really dislike the Asp X.

Long long before the Asp Scout was even a twink in Ed's eye, I tried this ship after earning enough from my T6, and hated it almost immediately. It's reputation was so high but it does nothing better (for me) than the T6, and was the first ship I got blown-up in. By all means blame the pilot (and I and RUBBISH at combat), but I had survived all until then in my T6.

I sold my Asp X, and recently my Dolphin, and so now I ask you to 'bring out your dead', and share their tales.

Tell us all about the ships you didn't gel with, why, and what you went on/back to, and where you ultimately 'arrived'.

My tale is simple - I went back to my T6 (I always keep key ships, e.g. T6, Cobra III, Sidewinder), and finally earned enough for a Python.

I now have an Anaconda, and I will keep this along with the others, but still no Asp X. Not ever. Never!!!!!

Last edited:
I just got a Python after about a year between an AspX and a Vulture for all my BGS needs. The Python after first blush and an A-rating feels pretty soulless, though it did make back all its cost in outfitting enough for me to buy all the F-series and a ViperIII. So far it feels like the ship I will use to make cash with, not the ship I want to live in.

The Python... feels like the ship I will use to make cash with, not the ship I want to live in...

Oddly, that's close to the opposite of how I feel about the Python.

Of all the ships in ED, that and maybe the Anaconda and (sorry) the Cobra IV, are amongst the few I would choose to live on.

But I'd want a ship that can visit everywhere, including outposts, which puts the Python in a decent lead, and highlights the need for a decent couple of alternatives (please not rank-tied).

I too hated on the AspX until its very brief hay-day as a smuggler. I used to run mine shieldless to save space and to allow me to stay within the corona of stars, preventing interdiction. That made me enough money for my Anaconda, which is the real gentleman's exploration vessel.

The Asp Scout, on the other hand, has all of the ugly looks and sound of its fatter, jolier cousin with none of the usefulness.

Thus, I'd like to put the Asp Scout into room 101. And the Adder too, as its cockpit looks like the inside of a bus.

I love the Asp-X. It's second only to the Python for utility. Fast, agile, decent weapons and jump range. Great for collecting those MAs or harvesting exploration data.

The one ship I hated owning was the T-9. It was a very short experience.

The pre-buff T7, that thing was a flying coffin. Even though I never died in one, it felt immensely vulnerable. The post buff version is actually pretty decent unless you're into combat.

I'll second Frank on calling out the Beluga. The load out is disappointing for such a big ship and constantly getting caught up in the toast rack makes it unbearable.

I'll also add the T9. Maybe it's just the bad experience I had with them in beta but I really didn't get on with it. It looks like a block of flats, it flies like a block of flats and back in the early beta it seemed to be built of tinfoil over a balsa wood frame and loaded with nitro-glycerine. If you didn't land it perfectly, it tended to explode. I guess they are more robust now but I don't think the handling has improved.

Last edited:
I spent most of the early game lusting over an Imperial Clipper and thinking I wouldn’t really be able to call myself a gentleman of pilot’s until I got into one. But after grinding Imperial rank and hours trading in a Type-7 to afford a Clipper, I just never really fealt a real connection to it. Of course back then i was a terrible ship builder, so it may have very well just been me using the wrong PP/distributor set up and getting a bad taste in my mouth.

Other than that the only other ship I’ve piloted and not been drawn to is the DBX. I can’t quite remember how she handled enough to critique it, but the looks just immediatley turned me off. I can learn to live with a sluggish or underpowered ship like the Asp or Type-6, but you just can’t fix ugly.

I spent most of the early game lusting over an Imperial Clipper and thinking I wouldn’t really be able to call myself a gentleman of pilot’s until I got into one. But after grinding Imperial rank and hours trading in a Type-7 to afford a Clipper, I just never really fealt a real connection to it. Of course back then i was a terrible ship builder, so it may have very well just been me using the wrong PP/distributor set up and getting a bad taste in my mouth.

Other than that the only other ship I’ve piloted and not been drawn to is the DBX. I can’t quite remember how she handled enough to critique it, but the looks just immediatley turned me off. I can learn to live with a sluggish or underpowered ship like the Asp or Type-6, but you just can’t fix ugly.

The Clipper is decent enough if you set it up right, though it does have it's flaws. I used to use one quite a bit but found it a bit too thirsty for my liking.

Type 7 pre buff was so bad I haven't the heart to buy mine back to see how much it's been improved. Pity, since it really looks the part of the big space truck... :(

I gave up on the Federal Drop Ship a while back, too. Some people really like the drift, but it drove me to distraction.

Does the Hauler have any fans? With the Sidewinder being such a lovely wee ship and my getting a Freeagle as well with the package I bought, I never felt the need to buy one. I had a fleet of small, fast, tremendously fun ships to chose from before I got a throwaway taxi Hauler. It was a reasonable way to get around the fleet I've scattered all over the bubble, but now you can just transfer your ship to your current location that's kind of redundant. I've never had a 'real' Hauler, one that I've used for anything other than a bare bones, one way, A to B flight. Are they any good for newbs? Or are they just best ignored until you can afford a Cobra, Viper or Diamondback?

Basically all Federal ships. they look like bricks and i absolutely dislike hulltanks. Corvette is okay but its jumprange kills it for me.

Edit: And the Anaconda because every single Person in the Galaxy uses it after all the Creditabuses. Its basically the Startership now. (Hello Harmless Anaconda Pilot)

Last edited:
Easily the Keelback. Is there a more pointless, soulless ship? (The Type 7 is a close second, though...)

I also hate the Federal Dropship and its variants / offshoots. They all look really chunky and stupid. Shame, since some Core Dynamics ships are absolutely brilliant -- I think the Corvette is the most menacing-looking ship in the game, especially with the right ship kit pieces.

The annie, T-7 and T-9. I despise how they fly and the annie doubly so being so over powered compared to any other ship in the game.

The Anaconda isn't overpowered. It's a great ship in the right hands, but the Corvette outclasses it, imho. Comparable firepower, significantly superior shields, and better maneuverability make it a straight upgrade for combat purposes. I've wrecked several combat-fitted player Condas without issue in my Corvette, even without feedback rails and a dedicated anti-big-ship loadout.

Last edited:
Type 7 pre buff was so bad I haven't the heart to buy mine back to see how much it's been improved. Pity, since it really looks the part of the big space truck... :(

I gave up on the Federal Drop Ship a while back, too. Some people really like the drift, but it drove me to distraction.

Does the Hauler have any fans? With the Sidewinder being such a lovely wee ship and my getting a Freeagle as well with the package I bought, I never felt the need to buy one. I had a fleet of small, fast, tremendously fun ships to chose from before I got a throwaway taxi Hauler. It was a reasonable way to get around the fleet I've scattered all over the bubble, but now you can just transfer your ship to your current location that's kind of redundant. I've never had a 'real' Hauler, one that I've used for anything other than a bare bones, one way, A to B flight. Are they any good for newbs? Or are they just best ignored until you can afford a Cobra, Viper or Diamondback?

Hauler was a worthy little step up from the Sidey for my own progression, but that was far back in the day when fuel and repairs were actual costs. It's useful but probably easy to skip now due to credit availability.

COBRA
MARK
FOUR

That ship makes me angry. It's could be such a cool ship, but that crap handling just ruins it. Every strong point it has is made irrelevant by some crippling weakness leaving it nothing but an awkward collection of glued-together internal compartments.

Easily the Keelback. Is there a more pointless, soulless ship? (The Type 7 is a close second, though...)

I also hate the Federal Dropship and its variants / offshoots. They all look really chunky and stupid. Shame, since some Core Dynamics ships are absolutely brilliant -- I think the Corvette is the most menacing-looking ship in the game, especially with the right ship kit pieces.
Noooooo! Don’t touch my keelback! It’s the only reasonably nimble fighter carrier XD
It’s pretty great for taking snaps of surface planets, or exploring for those new views. Its model is pretty cool too.

I gotta agree with the python being horrible though. Sure, it has power, but it steers like a brick in supercruise. In normal space it’s actually pretty decent though.
As for the ship I love most? Probably the powerboat conda lol, followed closely by a shared place by asp x and he vulture. Though, the cobra’s pretty loved by me as well. I have some fond memories of it out in the black pre-horizons. It was my first ever exploration trip, got most of my ranks through it, trip earned me enough for my anconda and a bit more. Still need to try out the mk IV though for exploration, but it’s just one module slot short of being self sufficient. I’d probably rather take the keelback.

Last edited:
Hauler was a worthy little step up from the Sidey for my own progression, but that was far back in the day when fuel and repairs were actual costs. It's useful but probably easy to skip now due to credit availability.

Just for giggles I outfitted a Hauler to grab Goid tissue samples. It work with no shields and Tissue Limpet Controller and a size 2 crcr. A little niche perhaps but can still work.

Oh on topic, probably the T7.

Haven't flown everything, but T-7 I'm glad I didn't need anymore after getting enough for an Asplorer.

Looks wise, I really don't like the FDL though, one of the main reasons I went for FAS instead for a dedicated combat ship.

Top Bottom