Scanners and prospecting

Ok so searching the planet surfaces for materials is fun for about 30 minutes. Your after a specific item and you always find everything your not looking for.

Let's look at the scanners for a bit of a tune up. Would it be possible to give players the ability to set the scanner to detect certain materials? If I land in search of arsenic I would go to a module tab and select my scanner. The easy way would be to use a filter type set up. Just deselect what you don't need. Then as your scooting along the surface and get a hit on your scanner you know your after what your looking for. Another option would be to incorporate the planet into this. You land on a planet for the first time, you search out and find the material your looking for. Then in the module tab your ship or SRV would scan the material and get a frequency specific to that planet. You could then set the scanner to that frequency and search for materials. Could be the same for USS in super cruise as well.

Another small upgrade would be the rocks we shoot to collect materials from. To mix up the randomness and rng use different size rocks. A big rock would produce more mats than a small rock but larger rocks would be less common. I'd like to roll up on a cluster of different size rocks and spend a few minutes shooting and collecting. We can't escape the rng but we could use it to reward us with long searchs or some big payouts. Grinding for hours getting a solid 3 at a time gets stale, but if you get 3 here then 5 there, and then hit a 8. Now we're bringing a balance to the rng

Also it would be nice if the planet poi were color coded so we get a idea what we're after. Different sizes could be indications also. A small red circle would be a crashed ship, or a medium orange would be a camp of some type. The large blue would be rocks and materials to prospect.

Ok so searching the planet surfaces for materials is fun for about 30 minutes. Your after a specific item and you always find everything your not looking for.

Let's look at the scanners for a bit of a tune up. Would it be possible to give players the ability to set the scanner to detect certain materials? If I land in search of arsenic I would go to a module tab and select my scanner. The easy way would be to use a filter type set up. Just deselect what you don't need. Then as your scooting along the surface and get a hit on your scanner you know your after what your looking for. Another option would be to incorporate the planet into this. You land on a planet for the first time, you search out and find the material your looking for. Then in the module tab your ship or SRV would scan the material and get a frequency specific to that planet. You could then set the scanner to that frequency and search for materials. Could be the same for USS in super cruise as well.

Another small upgrade would be the rocks we shoot to collect materials from. To mix up the randomness and rng use different size rocks. A big rock would produce more mats than a small rock but larger rocks would be less common. I'd like to roll up on a cluster of different size rocks and spend a few minutes shooting and collecting. We can't escape the rng but we could use it to reward us with long searchs or some big payouts. Grinding for hours getting a solid 3 at a time gets stale, but if you get 3 here then 5 there, and then hit a 8. Now we're bringing a balance to the rng

Also it would be nice if the planet poi were color coded so we get a idea what we're after. Different sizes could be indications also. A small red circle would be a crashed ship, or a medium orange would be a camp of some type. The large blue would be rocks and materials to prospect.

There are apparently big changes coming to both exploration & mining in Q4, so hopefully much of what you are asking for will be implemented.

Top Bottom