Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

2.5 supersampling, 7.5 supersampling (?) and 1.25 HMD image qual = 90fps, I don't think that's possible

And yeah I know you're not lying, but I think there's a mistake there

What would I gain from lying. And no its not a NASA supercomputer.

7700k @ 5ghz
1080ti @ 2025mhz gpu 5508mhz memory clock
2 x 500gb 960evo one for os one for gaming
32 ddr4 ram @ 3000mhz

In what way would you have me prove it? I have not made any tweaks to the graphicsconfiguration.xml

I have to concur with the previous poster, your numbers are way off. Most likely a genuine misunderstanding on your part or just complete fantasy.

Damn it as much as it pains me to say this I have made a mistake. I set another game in my profile list to 2.5 and then went into the game and input those settings and thought everything was peachy. After reading your post and then posting my reply I went to check myself the in game settings I gave were correct but the 2.5 in the tray tool was actually set to 1.5. I did however set it to 2.5 for elite dangerous set in game supersampling to .75 and hmd to .75 and I am getting 90 FPS in stations. I'm working out a way post a screenshot of some sort. I'm sorry for my mistake I did not mean to deceive anyone.[noob]

Damn it as much as it pains me to say this I have made a mistake. I set another game in my profile list to 2.5 and then went into the game and input those settings and thought everything was peachy. After reading your post and then posting my reply I went to check myself the in game settings I gave were correct but the 2.5 in the tray tool was actually set to 1.5. I did however set it to 2.5 for elite dangerous set in game supersampling to .75 and hmd to .75 and I am getting 90 FPS in stations. I'm working out a way post a screenshot of some sort. I'm sorry for my mistake I did not mean to deceive anyone.[noob]

That makes more sense, but I would advise, strongly, get rid of any out-of-game settings and go with 1.5x HMD image quality and 1.0x supersampling. Will look fantastic and you should get 45fps+ in stations (you have ASW on anyway)

That makes more sense, but I would advise, strongly, get rid of any out-of-game settings and go with 1.5x HMD image quality and 1.0x supersampling. Will look fantastic and you should get 45fps+ in stations (you have ASW on anyway)

Thanks I'll give it a shot. But I can always tell when it drops to 45fps. It doesn't make me sick or anything its like a stutter or something. Thank you again sorry for the rigmarole. How much does a case of beer cost where you live?

Thanks I'll give it a shot. But I can always tell when it drops to 45fps. It doesn't make me sick or anything its like a stutter or something. Thank you again sorry for the rigmarole. How much does a case of beer cost where you live?

It's a kind of warping that happens when straight lines cross other stuff, but I find it still so important to maintain that crystal smoothness of ASW. When you come towards and then around a planet up close and you see it stuttering, nothing more immersion breaking, even the warping doesn't break the immersion as much.

I am a whiskey man and it ain't cheap! But thanks for asking :)

one thing I've discovered recently is that you can stop the Oculus Home from launching automatically.

Right click on Oculus Home icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> (very bottom) Change settings for all users (this is important) -> (new window will pop up) Tick the 'Run As Administrator' thing. That's it. Apply and you are done.

Start the Oculus Home manually. It will ask you 'Do you want to allow this app blah blah blah', click 'Yes'. Close Oculus Home at this point and it will never automatically start again. It saves loads of memory and helped a lot in my case.

Best regards

Avago Earo

Banned
I'll ask it here then.

I'm thinking about getting a used DK2. It's a price thing and I don't think my rig would comfortably run a CV1 anyway (GTX 970 Asus Strix, 4th gen i5 4460 3.4 GHz, Kingston Hyper Fury X 8GB DDR3)

Is it worth getting if Oculus prevent support of the DK2, or are there workarounds? As you can tell, I on't know what I'm talking about, but I can learn to tweak (built a HMD a couple of years back with a Nexus 7 and Trinus VR), so as long as it's possible to run, I'm happy to give it a go.

I think the OR is recognised by the PC as another monitor. But without Oculus support, would the screen fire up as it's hooked up via HDMI, or would it simply not switch on. Because (started a sentence with 'because', that should start a storm) if the screen works and motion can be detected with other tracking devices (which I have), then it should be good to go.

I've looked at a few AIO' HMD's, but I'm still keen on the DK2. I don't get motion sick, so lower frame rae isn't an issue.

TLDR; Ca\n the DK2 still operate without official support/drivers

I'll ask it here then.

I'm thinking about getting a used DK2. It's a price thing and I don't think my rig would comfortably run a CV1 anyway (GTX 970 Asus Strix, 4th gen i5 4460 3.4 GHz, Kingston Hyper Fury X 8GB DDR3)

Is it worth getting if Oculus prevent support of the DK2, or are there workarounds? As you can tell, I on't know what I'm talking about, but I can learn to tweak (built a HMD a couple of years back with a Nexus 7 and Trinus VR), so as long as it's possible to run, I'm happy to give it a go.

I think the OR is recognised by the PC as another monitor. But without Oculus support, would the screen fire up as it's hooked up via HDMI, or would it simply not switch on. Because (started a sentence with 'because', that should start a storm) if the screen works and motion can be detected with other tracking devices (which I have), then it should be good to go.

I've looked at a few AIO' HMD's, but I'm still keen on the DK2. I don't get motion sick, so lower frame rae isn't an issue.

As far as I am aware, the DK2 is not recognised as a separate monitor anymore and hasn't been for some time.

I'll ask it here then.

Asus GTX 970 would be fine for CV1, not 100% sure about the cpu tho ... my 970 was fine with an i5 4690.

Just for the record (since I think it is not mentioned in the first compendium post), I’ve been having a lot of performance issues since the arrival of my rift few days ago.

I wasn’t understanding what was going on, since my rig is pretty powerful:

• I7 4790K 4.7 GHz.
  • AORUS 1080-TI Liquid cooled and with OC.
  • 16 Gb DDR3-2400MHz Dual-Channel.
  • 2 x SSD (One for system and the other for games)

My performance was bad, a lot of stuttering and not fluid, which I was not understanding at all, given the settings I’ve seen from cmdrs with more less same powerful PCs…

But worst thing happened today, as the game turned unplayable due to sudden freeze. The image gone static, and moments later, CTD and a message saying that some source file could not be accessed.

After a couple of times I’ve started to get nervous...

To make things short, after some research and monitoring, reinstall of the Oculus suite and the Elite game, I’ve come to see that it was all about the Windows Page File requiring a lot more memory than the one I had previously allocated.

I’ve played a lot of games and faced and solved (as every PC player, I guess) hundreds of config problems, but this one was totally new.

I certainly do not know why the Oculus software and/or Elite needs more than 13 Gb of Pagefile space, given that my RAM is below 6Gb of usage, but it looks like it is very important for the gaming experience to be flawless.

Needless to say, once I’ve changed the pagefile config, the performance have increased greatly. I’ve been able to hit HMD 2X with almost everything to max, which I completely love!!

I think this could be included at the main post to prevent other commanders from having this kind of issues and I encourage all the commanders to monitor the page-file usage and to increase the disk space allocation if they are running low, since it may impact their performance positively.

I’m going back to the rift, I’m now starting to love it…

Fly safe commanders…

Last edited:
Needless to say, once I’ve changed the pagefile config, the performance have increased greatly.

Fly safe commanders…

With 16GB of ram, you might try turning off the pagefile entirely. I've run with no pagefile for years, without incident. Windows will use the pagefile for many non-intuitive things that I found to be unneeded and, in my opinion, just gets in the way. Give it a try!

Hey guys, pretty new to Elite and the Rift.

I've been playing with it at 45fps most of the time. I haven't really noticed any problems with this except maybe the menus in the cockpit sometimes flicker, is that ASW/45fps? It's not a problem if so.
Is there any detriment to using Elite at 45fps in VR? It feels smooth to me.

What settings really affect the FPS?

I have a 1070gtx
16gb Ram
4690k @ 4.3ghz

My settings. Some may seem odd as I was experimenting. I really struggle with the stations looking a pixelly mess until you're up close. Is there any setting to combat this? I'd rather them not be sharp at distance if it means no odd pixel flicker.
4kvipt.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND

I've been playing with it at 45fps most of the time. I haven't really noticed any problems with this except maybe the menus in the cockpit sometimes flicker, is that ASW/45fps? It's not a problem if so.

I have a 1070gtx
16gb Ram
4690k @ 4.3ghz

My settings. Some may seem odd as I was experimenting. I really struggle with the stations looking a pixelly mess until you're up close. Is there any setting to combat this? I'd rather them not be sharp at distance if it means no odd pixel flicker.
http://i67.tinypic.com/4kvipt.jpg

Cheers

I do not have a RIFT or a Vive but operate a PiMax 4K and I operate it in Elite at 60FPS at 1920 or 1600 (depending what I have going on in the background) but my rig is not as powerful as yours and the rendering and sound is without fault - with no venetian blind effect:

Intel i7 4690 @ 3.7 GHz
GTX 1060 6Gb OC ITX
16 Gb RAM.

Can anybody explain this?

it should be mentioned in the how to at the beginning that Elite Dangerous in VR will not run if a VGA monitor is plugged into the Main Board Integrated Graphics port, the game will hang when launched and in VR the message "Elite Dangerous is taking a long time to load, etc.....) will appear.

Use only the Ports on the graphics card.
The installation worked perfectly with Graphics Card HDMI > Oculus, and a Display Port > HDMI cable to TV as main monitor.

If you're seeing exactly 45fps then that will be the result of ASW throttling the game because it's not able to hit 90. In this case the game generates 45fps and ASW then generates in-between frames to simulate 90fps. It does this very well on the whole and generally you should be fine. The only thing you might notice (indeed, it sounds like you have) are the edges of menu interfaces (particularly station menus) going a bit "wobbly" occasionally.

You can see what actual FPS you're getting (i.e. are you even close to hitting 90?) by turning ASW off temporarily. Pre Oculus 2.0/Dash you could do this by pressing Ctrl + Numpad 1 (I've heard reports that this has stopped working post Oculus 2.0).

I believe the following settings are the particularly GPU heavy computations that will noticeably affect FPS.

- HMD quality (much above 1.25 this really needs a hefty GPU)
- SS/supersampling (if you have HMD quality above 1 then I'd personally recommend leaving this at 1.0)
- Shadow quality
- Ambient Occlusion (you probably won't notice the effect anyway so I recommend turning it off)
- Bloom/Blur (not sure about the cost of these but, like ambient occlusion, I'd just turn those off)
- Anti-aliasing (some of these are more expensive than others - I think FXAA is probably the one I'd suggest although again, if you have HMD quality above 1 then you can probably turn it off)

Hey all- I stumbled across a nifty Oculus tweak, related to general smoothness. This is not going to improve your FPS or help out in RES (I don't think) - but for me it seems to have removed a minor but very visible annoyance: random minor hesitations/stutters. I'm curious to see if anyone else can give it a try to see if it improves the experience.

OK... Little backstory: As you may know, the Oculus runtime has been getting updates related to room tracking with multiple sensors. The current non-beta (1.13) seems to have introduced some rather bad bugs, apparently related to those of us using only 1 tracking sensor. See:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ate-anyone-having-tracking-problems?p=5339689
https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/comment/512105

The Oculus tracking problems seemed to be related to high CPU usage.
So... I tried to use process affinity to pin the Oculus runtime to 2 cores, and the ED client to my other 6 cores.
And BINGO! Tracking issues gone!

But THEN I noticed that the entire VR experience seemed noticeably smoother - like magic!

Ok - so now it's your turn... Anyone want to give it a try to see what happens?

I pin
- OVRServer_x64.exe to cores 7-8
- EliteDangerous64.exe to cores 1-6.

This is genius. Thank you so much for posting this. I just got my Rift yesterday and immediately ran into this problem. It was unplayable. I am running an i7-3820 with 16GB RAM and a GTX1080 SC2 card, and I found that I had to share the CPU cores equally between ED and Oculus as follows, so I could have the graphics maxed out and not get jitters even on a planet surface:

Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS tab: Right-Click program > Affinity

EliteDangerous64.exe: cores 0-3
OculusVR.exe: cores 4-7
OVRServer_x64.exe: cores 4-7

Now the head-tracking is butter-smooth, and no loss of frames either.

Thanks again,

AC.

Last edited:
This is an interesting tip that I will certainly try later as I have a fairly old CPU as well . 2600k i7@4.7 and noticed the odd hitch mainly in stations but sometimes out and about.
Is this tweak possible with just the basic windows task manager?

My 2c on 45 Vs 90. If you can ignore the artifacts then great but the notion to photon latency is quite a bit higher when asw kicks in. Mine goes from around 27 to 45 ms. Which doesn't sound much but 20 ms is enough to just make the whole world feel alot more "real"
For me anyway I prefer 90

Top Bottom