News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap

Will, thanks so much for the synopsis of the live stream and follow-up questions. Steve, thanks so much for all the information, clarifications, and follow on questions. You’ve been most gracious with your time and knowledge. Regards.

My take on beyond part 2 recap:

PLANETARY IMPROVEMENTS

Neat! Perhaps the final conclusion to Beige Strikes Back?

THE CHIEFTAIN

An Alliance ship, oh my!

TECH BROKER

Huh. I'm of a neutral opinion on this until I can find out what new items are available at tech brokers. Possibly fun, possibly just more power-creep that further worsens the balance problem that's been started with Engineers....

TRADE DATA CHANGES

Functional ingame trade tools? U Wot M8

Seeing as I personally have trade Elite, I might not get much out of this myself, but even so these are very welcome changes.

Also I'm super glad that I've bothered to always visit the nav beacon of inhabited systems I've passed through that had not yet been added to my map! Though that leaves the question about systems I've not scanned the nav beacon/landed in, but were already 'known' on the map....

MEGASHIP INTERACTIONS

Seems pretty cool - but will it be limited to megaships? You do mention other locations but not what *kind*! Might be neat if we could interact with normal stations in some of these ways too....

p.s. Removal of combat XP divide when?

Hi Steve

re Distance from star – This allows you to filter between market a short, medium or long range from the main system star.

What are the distances for these 3 ranges?

Btw, love the sound of all these changes! :cool:

V'larr
Steve answered your last question in 1 of his posts :).

Hi,

Thanks for you question.

At the moment we plan to add these types on interactions to installations and then investigate where else can benefit from this kind of gameplay.
So no for now, but we will see.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks again

Steve K

If you look at the top right of a post by a member of staff, you'll see a 'Frontier' icon, which if you click on will show you the next staff post, I use this to skip through a thread like this ;) (sorry folks!).

Last edited:
Apart of being much more colorful, the new one appears more rugged...?

It does at first glance appear that way, but I don't think Frontier has changed any terrain height map generation in 3.0, just the coloring. The more rugged appearance might only be due to better coloring highlighting details which were previously beige washed.

Altair 1 in 2.4:
FAeQ7TQ.jpg

Altair 1 in 3.0:
RPDKCee.jpg

It does at first glance appear that way, but I don't think Frontier has changed any terrain height map generation in 3.0, just the coloring. The more rugged appearance might only be due to better coloring highlighting details which were previously beige washed.

Altair 1 in 2.4:
https://i.imgur.com/FAeQ7TQ.jpg

Altair 1 in 3.0:
https://i.imgur.com/RPDKCee.jpg

The difference is massive. There may not be a boring planet out there now. Looking forward to exploring again.

Altair 1 in 2.4:

Altair 1 in 3.0:

Wow, that's a really striking comparison ... and Altair 1 seems (at the moment) to be a pretty mediocre planet so I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of the others are gonna look like!

Last edited:

Altair 1 in 2.4:

Altair 1 in 3.0:

If you take a look at the upper right part of the new one, the shadows give away what looks like significant elevation changes (that streches to the middle part of the planet), whereas the 2.4 version looks pretty flat.
Can't wait to see the patch notes. :)

Yeah, it really does look like there are elevation differences, even though there aren't supposed to be. It could just be that the 2.4 pic is from a bland side of the planet.

Maybe I'll fly over there tonight and see if I can line up actual features for a direct comparison...

Have the additional Q&A's been posted yet?

P.S. and a quick question - do you happen to know if the update to planetary colouring will also fix the long standing problem of the large dark rectangles that frequently appear down on planet surfaces?

P.S. Steve! Another new Buckyball Race starts this Saturday (see my signature banner). Interested? [yesnod]

P.S. and a quick question - do you happen to know if the update to planetary colouring will also fix the long standing problem of the large dark rectangles that frequently appear down on planet surfaces?

Isn't that a problem of the lighting of some textured surface 'patches' being off, rather than a problem with the textures themselves?

A shame that the pew pew brigade still gets more content , if frontier realy want to show that the rest of the community is beeing respected they should stop the combat content for atleast one to two years and commit to what was prommised for mining trade and exploration during the early development .

Four years of combat related content is getting old ,now its the time for the miners traders smuglers piracy and exploration and frontier should only work on those for the next 4 years and ignore anny new combat content . just like they did with the explorers miners and traders..

A shame that the pew pew brigade still gets more content , if frontier realy want to show that the rest of the community is beeing respected they should stop the combat content for atleast one to two years and commit to what was prommised for mining trade and exploration during the early development .

Four years of combat related content is getting old ,now its the time for the miners traders smuglers piracy and exploration and frontier should only work on those for the next 4 years and ignore anny new combat content . just like they did with the explorers miners and traders..

How does the pew pew brigade get more content in beyond? The major big enhancement in the game was for trade and the planetary shaders update. The only thing for pew pew is a ship. Not too sure how you figure that one out.

How does the pew pew brigade get more content in beyond? The major big enhancement in the game was for trade and the planetary shaders update. The only thing for pew pew is a ship. Not too sure how you figure that one out.

Because he watched the livestream and they devoted loads of time to showing off the Chieftan's guns and farting around in a nav beacon looking for a fight when what a lot of people in the chat were screaming for was for them to land the ship on one of the beautiful new planets.

It is very annoying, I hope there will be fix for that? I fly a lot over the surface and get lots of those all the time...

(maybe that is why they did not land on this planet on Thursday, because of The Black Square Curse :) )

Last edited:
Top Bottom