News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap

You are doing a makeover on the current beige planets and will be doing a makeover for ice planets Q4.

Are you going to include more variety for landable planets anytime soon or are we going to have to wait till at least 2019 to see this?

0l356SG.jpg

Was that only the "trade trending data"? It wasn't fully clear to me on the normal trade data from the places you have visited.

"Important note: profit given is accurate at the time of being displayed and can fluctuate when travelling to the chosen market."

This would imply that trade data is not static.

Ed promised to squeeze in a quick SRV jaunt in the next Livestream!

Ed didn't promise anything. Dominic said they'd try to do some landings next Tuesday. Most likely though this will just be as they approach an engineer base to show us the engineering improvements.

Hi there,

I think Ed said they're going to try to do some landings on tuesday's stream (Whcih features Engineering, so will need them to land anyway).

Thanks,
Dom

At this point it's almost moot now, in a week the community will do it for us. It's just sad that Frontier didn't think the new planet colors were important enough to warrant more than 3 minutes in a livestream, nor actually go down and land on one or two. Heck they could have simply showed a few surfaces close up in that 20 second video they had, but nope no one even thought to do THAT. It's that level of disconnect which saddens me. This is the star of the update for an awful lot of players, it really should have gotten more than a casual glance for a few minutes.

I was really looking forward to that second livestream finally showing us a lot about the planet colors, I've waited a very long time to see more. I'm just disappointed, and I need to get over it and move on.

Last edited:
Ed didn't promise anything. Dominic said they'd try to do some landings next Tuesday. Most likely though this will just be as they approach an engineer base to show us the engineering improvements.

At this point it's almost moot now, in a week the community will do it for us. It's just sad that Frontier didn't think the new planet colors were important enough to warrant more than 3 minutes in a livestream, nor actually go down and land on one or two. Heck they could have simply showed a few surfaces close up in that 20 second video they had, but nope no one even thought to do THAT. It's that level of disconnect which saddens me. This is the star of the update for an awful lot of players, it really should have gotten more than a casual glance for a few minutes.

I was really looking forward to that second livestream finally showing us a lot about the planet colors, I've waited a very long time to see more. I'm just disappointed, and I need to get over it and move on.

I wasn't disappointed. Though I'd have preferred more time spent on it, what they did show us got me very, very excited!!!!

I need to move on to but for some reason i just can't. I usually don't care about things like this but we explorers have put up with a lot and then we finally get an update that looks to be doing something really cool and which isn't just an upgarde for explorers but everybody who plays the game will get to see these things and a lot of people wanted this update so only 3 minutes for what we've been waiting for for a over a year just seemed....silly. Yes, we can see it for ourselves, but getting a sneak peak, a longer one, wouldn't not have ruined it for us. I mean, come one, we wasted time going to a starport to look at the loadout for the cheiften when that could have been spent going to a surface and talking about the loadout, we didn't need to see it for ourselves.....but....moving on. :)

I need to move on to but for some reason i just can't. I usually don't care about things like this but we explorers have put up with a lot and then we finally get an update that looks to be doing something really cool and which isn't just an upgarde for explorers but everybody who plays the game will get to see these things and a lot of people wanted this update so only 3 minutes for what we've been waiting for for a over a year just seemed....silly. Yes, we can see it for ourselves, but getting a sneak peak, a longer one, wouldn't not have ruined it for us. I mean, come one, we wasted time going to a starport to look at the loadout for the cheiften when that could have been spent going to a surface and talking about the loadout, we didn't need to see it for ourselves.....but....moving on. :)

This is the sort of thing FDev occasionally drops the ball at. Still, it is puzzling how Ed with all his experience can get it this wrong.

I am glad they did not show more of new planets. I am still flying out there and after what they show I cannot stand disgusting beige rocky worlds anymore, no point making it even worse. Till the livestream I was kind of OK, knowing it will get better at some point, but now seeing how it will look I am counting days till Thursday :)

I’m gonna say something very unpopular: the new trading system looks really amazing, a much enriched gameplay mechanics that makes trading deeper and more fun. I deeply appreciate the work that has gone into it. But now you need to make it more profitable. And since the prices of commodities or the cargo capacity of ships cannot be changed, this means nerf those unreasonably lucrative passenger missions!! — or find some other magic way to balance payouts.

I know that they are everyone's favourite cash fountain, but they are actually ruining pretty much every other money-making activity in the game. It’s a fact. People might be hostile to this because they want easy money, but it’s indisputable that the cash per hour of passenger missions is far, far, far higher than any other activity, including trading. I would really like to enjoy using the new trading tools, and I would like all this work not go to waste. But if the best trade route still pays a fraction of one Beluga-full of passengers taken one system over I, like many others, might still be tempted to save a LOT of time and just do one more passenger trip.

Please consider this. The game mechanic is now intrinsically enjoyable, but you also need to give some “endgame” incentive, or it will not be as successful as it deserves to be.

They should keep passenger missions as is but have trading equally payable so you can have that variety.

Here's a question nobody's asked yet, I'm sure:

Given the fairly big scope of changes, how big of a download is this update going to be?
I’m guessing anywhere from 2 GB to 10? Basically, the stuff they showed us shouldn’t be that much in terms of data size BUT it’s possible that they a) touched a lot of areas of code and that thus the size will be large and b) that they added stuff which is not mentioned in the patch notes (like more guardian and thargoid stuff). So really: We don’t know.
However, if you are concenred about the download time, keep in mind that if you download and keep the beta updated until the end, when the update eventually drops, it will only download the files changed between the beta and the release, and copy the rest from your hard drive. So, while it may take a while to download he beta, you should be able to play the actual update fairly quickly after release. Just remember to remove the beta to save disc space afterwards ;)

If Ed didn't fly so ineptly or engage with the game mechanics so inefficiently they could have easily shown a landing while discussing the chieftain. Instead time is wasted on sitting in space, or staring at the "launch" / "starport services" menu while docked and going into that menu to click outfitting, to then wait on the ship being lowered instead of immediately hitting "enter bay" or whatever the button is.

Get some people who play the game to actually... play the game on livestreams.

If Ed didn't fly so ineptly or engage with the game mechanics so inefficiently they could have easily shown a landing while discussing the chieftain.

I can only imagine the flak they would get if Ed would be driving aimlessly on the surface of the planet that is just different colour than before whilst trying to describe us what slots we get in the Chieftain :) And yes they could pick up some sweet spot on the planet only to read for months that "the game looks nothing like you showed us" :)

Last edited:
I can only imagine the flak they would get if Ed would be driving aimlessly on the surface of the planet that is just different colour than before whilst trying to describe us what slots we get in the Chieftain :) And yes they could pick up some sweet spot on the planet only to read for months that "the game looks nothing like you showed us" :)

I honestly wouldn't expect Ed to actually get out an SRV and drive around in a livestream, that would take too much time. The same result could be accomplished easier and quicker by simply flying a ship down low along the surface. I mean they could have even just included some shots from a few surfaces in that video they had. The notion that no one at Frontier thought that might be a good idea still mystifies me greatly...:S

The notion that no one at Frontier thought that might be a good idea still mystifies me greatly...:S

I know you are the most excited of all, so I do not blame you, but it is only 5 days and we get to see this ourselves! I would be more interested to discuss where to fly on Thursday evening then complain about what they did show or not.

So any recommendations? :)

(search like that will give us systems with ex-beige bodies close to Sol, I will try to find some with biggest number of them and go there on Thursday :) https://www.spansh.co.uk/bodies/search/13B48A84-FE05-11E7-8F1C-6E2224B32280 ) - Lalande 18115, Saktsak ? (as this is OT so opened a new thread here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...e-Cinderella?p=6317950&viewfull=1#post6317950)

Last edited:
I know you are the most excited of all, so I do not blame you, but it is only 5 days and we get to see this ourselves! I would be more interested to discuss where to fly on Thursday evening then complain about what they did show or not.

So any recommendations? :)

I already have a list of planets I've taken pictures of since 2.2, some I have pics of from before 2.2, and I plan on directly comparing beta pics of them to show how they've changed. If you want to do something similar then pick any of the several hundred planets I posted up in my Search for Color thread here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rch-for-Color!-(sequel-to-The-Wrath-of-Beige)

:cool:

Top Bottom