News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (23.01.2018) - Part 3 Recap

You still need to get the materials, a simple example is 3+ times more. The mat broker will help with the hard to find rare stuff but doesn't mitigate the quantity.

And the first G5 efficient MC is fine, but for every new MC you want to mod the new system will cost you 33.6 mats (on average) vs ~9 for an acceptable roll under the old for us casual players.

But you already have the materials. Through regular gameplay you come across a ton of junk which in the current iteration of the game only clogs up your limited mat storage. The difference will be that with the mat trader and per-met storage you will have an incentive to pick it up now, to both craft the initial low grade mod and to convert into higher grade mats.

Also, I must remind everyone that the Engineers were never supposed to be a feature you use all the time on all modules of all your ships. Engineering is supposed to be something special which takes some effort. Not every one of your ships needs that grade 5 DD or a 45ly jump range.

Last edited:
i don't see the material broker helping me much, as they are again spread across the bubble,
and you have to find out where you can trade what material.... so again,

they implement something new that kinda forces you to use an external tool/webpage to progress in the game without hours of flying around.

remote engineering wont help me much to fight this either, because you can only pin one grade (whats the point of that???)
Just use the filters? All material brokers of the same type do the exact same thing.

I chuckled when watching the livestream, as soon as Ed said that it was the new voice Victor....I immediately thought of Airport & shouted out 'What's your vector Victor?'.

I like the new (engineers) system. It was slightly confusing and boring before (and practically everyone complained about the RNG when it came out - funny how people forget that) and really didn't make much sense. There is a fair amount of science-magic in this game, but why upgrading a mechanical component would be random never made much sense.

The new system makes more sense in the real and e:d world. In the real world, if you went to your mechanic to add a stage 2 tune to your car and they did the work, charged you for it, and then told you it only made 5 extra bhp but if you pay them again maybe it'll be higher... You'd ask them to undo it and go somewhere else.

Also, it is important to note that even if everyone has exactly the same ship with the same amount (100%) of engineered stuff, there is still 'variety' in the game. It's called skill and luck. Two players with the same 100% ship will not be the same in a dogfight. So, this need for 'variety' was misplaced. There is enough variety already - being human ;)

I suppose players with no skill might be upset that they can't grind their way to pvp stardom, but oh well, can't be very many of them.

Last edited:
You still need to get the materials, a simple example is 3+ times more. The mat broker will help with the hard to find rare stuff but doesn't mitigate the quantity.

And the first G5 efficient MC is fine, but for every new MC you want to mod the new system will cost you 33.6 mats (on average) vs ~9 for an acceptable roll under the old for us casual players.

No you won't. As of right now to guarantee a good G5 roll you need 5-6 G5 mats. In the new system you will get a good grade 5 straight away using 1 roll, more if you want better and it will get better straight away.

So what you do it get your 5 G5 rare mats. Create 6 G4 matts from two of the G5 leaving you with 3 G5. Create 6 G3 from 2 G4, and 6 G2 from 2 G3 and 6 G1 from 2 G2.

This leaves you with:-

3 G5 mats
4 G4 mats
4 G3 mats
4 G2 mats
6 G1 mats

with all the same amount of material gathering. This doesn't include the materials while you are looking for G5 mats.
So a guarenteed great G5 for that same or less material gathering.

To tie in with the new COVAS I'd like to see a different phrase used for entering Supercruise and Hyper Space.

On many occasion I've jumped when I thought I was low waking and vise versa.

For a rough example

Entering Supercruise in 5 4 3 2 1... Engage.........
Preparing for Hyperspace jump in 5 4 3 2 1..... Entering Hyperspace

Last edited:
The old Favour systems is basically how the new system works for every module, if you ever modded something like railguns or similar that you want experimentals for.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
To tie in with the new COVAS I'd like to see a different phrase used for entering Supercruise and Hyper Space.

On many occasion I've jumped when I thought I was low waking and vise versa.

For a rough example

Entering Supercruise in 5 4 3 2 1... Engage.........
Preparing for Hyperspace jump in 5 4 3 2 1..... Entering Hyperspace

+1 great idea. :)

Just thought I would add my two pence worth. I am really looking forward to these improvements. As usual there are a lot of different opinions on the effects these will have, but please all consider how far we have come from the original release. I was a premium beta backer and each change, I feel, has proved to be for the betterment of the game. I am enthused that the FD team are still so obviously excited about the beta and the further chapters to come. Bring on the beta and lets all help fine tune the eventual release.

Last edited:
Just thought I would had my two pence worth. I am really looking forward to these improvements. As usual there are a lot of different opinions on the effects these will have, but please all consider how far we have come from the original release. I was a premium beta backer and each change, I feel, has proved to be for the betterment of the game. I am enthused that the FD team are still so obviously excited about the beta and the further chapters to come. Bring on the beta and lets all help fine tune the eventual release.
Have some rep... I am totally happy with their work, too. For the first time, their approach matching 100% my expectations about the new system and mat storage.
Lets play the beta and have a look at the numbers... they are will surely tweak the numbers is something too far of.

COVAS

Does the 'Activated' in Cockpit Voice-Activated System indicate that we'll be able to control our ships directly by voice, or is it one of the 34th century malapropisms that resulted in the station traffic controllers' lines?

Correct me if I am wrong, Shield Booster Heavy Duty grade 5 as an example :
Old system (with secondary effect) : max around 66 shield boost
New system (no secondary effect) : max 56 shield boost

Changeable COVASs are a nice addition to paint jobs and ship kits while staying on the road with the "no pay to win" rule.

But as a live time expansion pass owner, I am inquisitive to see what kind of content will be purchasable this year, even if this season is free.

Last edited:

To be honest I hope not. 10/10 for making suggestions but I don't know if I really want my hand held every step. If you're hitting the wrong button, that's pilot error and should definitely try not to do it again. Maybe an indicator light in the HUD somewhere - and it does tell you all over a high wake that you're jumping to a new system, economy and star type - would be more appropriate than your COVAS telling you you're doing it wrong? Voce assist, rather than nagging nanny I hope? o7

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, Shield Booster Heavy Duty grade 5 as an example :
Old system (with secondary effect) : max around 66 shield boost
New system (no secondary effect) : max 56 shield boost

As far as I understood the live stream, they stretched the values for G5 to the old G5+sec eff. values.
So you should get an equivalent to the god rolls if you go for a maxed out G5.

If not, it would be a total chaos. Many would run like crazy for god rolls before the update goes live to ensure max values and new players would never have a chance to keep up.
That would be a very bad decision and would not encourage the players to convert old modules to the new system at all.

Last edited:
Changeable COVASs are a nice addition to paint jobs and ship kits while staying on the road with the "no pay to win" rule.

But as a live time expansion pass owner, I am inquisitive to see what kind of content will be purchasable this year, even if this season is free.

Me too!

Top Bottom