Dove Enigma UA bombed, preventing completion of its voyage in time for the man it was named for.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The UA bombing has literally zero effect on the Expedition. You can still dock at Dove Enigma and no amount of UA bombing can change that. People are indignant because they either (A) do not understand the situation (due to people willfully misrepresenting what is going on, including in the title of this post), or (B) They're mad just because of the disrespect that is implied by the UA bombing act in and of itself.

It's worth noting that before the Dove Enigma debacle, there was *already* a campaign underway to UA bomb stations around Colonia. Before the Dove Enigma, there was another station (The Pit in Pennsylvania) which was successfully UA bombed, probably by the same group, to little fanfare. It's not totally insane to think that Dove Enigma was merely a circumstantial casualty of an already ongoing UA bombing campaign, rather than a specific attempt to target and immiserate a cancer patient. I for one had no idea about the significance of Dove Enigma, and I am stationed in Colonia and have docked at it several times!

In any case: nothing of importance is lost by the UA bombing. BUT! If you want to show your support for the Expedition and/or stick it in they eye of the UA bombers; you should load up your ship with Meta Alloys and head out to Colonia post-haste.
Most sane post in this thread.

If my actions through normal gameplay are indirectly responsible for station services to be reduced, what exactly am I guilty of except playing the game? :)

That's the highest crime of all, no one is allowed to play EliteDangerous at all ever! Less they upset or impede another player.

It's time for a role call. Let's see how many of you losing your minds in this thread are actually on their way out to colonia with ma's, and let's see how many are just talk.

I'm on my way with my python stuffed to the gills.

That's the highest crime of all, no one is allowed to play EliteDangerous at all ever! Less they upset or impede another player.

If my actions through normal gameplay are indirectly responsible for station services to be reduced, what exactly am I guilty of except playing the game? :)

The main reason for this outrage is not because of the game mechanics (you can go through the gigs of discussion on this elsewhere). It is over the fact that there are some in this community who would like to ruin a terminal cancer patients last few weeks in the game before they pass. The fact that because someone is dying and that they get special treatment for it seems to have got some troll get jealous of the attention. Maybe we all had the hoped that the community might be better than this but I guess not, especially when people seem to agree with the trolls who are undertaking this action.

It's time for a role call. Let's see how many of you losing your minds in this thread are actually on their way out to colonia with ma's, and let's see how many are just talk.

I'm on my way with my python stuffed to the gills.
My Cutter and I are on our way, with 576 tons of MA onboard. Already planning a second trip.

You mean the organisation that pocketed most of the proceeds for themselves? This charity had question marks all over it from the start. Kind of fits in with their running policy to allow and encourage sociopathic behavior in the game and on the forum. Hey, as long as the GBP keep streaming in, who cares, right?!

That's quite an accusation. Do you have evidence to back up your claims?

I understand that players are upset by the actions that have been taken. It's important to know that we are also upset and do not condone the actions of people trying to tarnish a fantastic and worthwhile community event. However, I would also say that calling out members of the community team as not being bothered is also very unfair.

Your community is upset because they have been complaining for a long LONG time now about UA bombing griefing CG stations and the puportrators openly gave the reason why they continue to do it because Frontier continue to call it "a feature" and refused to change anything. Nearly every CG station since it started has been affected by this with community complaints and Frontier still did nothing.

Not until things escalated with community emotions running high due to the griefing of the event and Frontier simply responded again with "it's a feature" by the CM team - did things EXPLODE enough for Frontier to "now look in to it" and only then you are saying because of possibly exploitation of UA storage not the act of UA bombing itself. Allowing a single player to disrupt services for hundreds or thousands of other players "being ok" is mind boggling to me.

Why not remove UA bombing completely? You could even wrap it up in "Ongoing Thargoid research has allowed scientists to now devise a way to protect stations from the radiation effect of Thargoid Sensors affecting station services."

Last edited:
Does UA bombing require a Black Market?

Seems to me that if Dove Enigma's Black Market were to experience 'issues' over the next couple of weeks, that's the major problem solved.

Because it's within the rules of the game. It's not my fault you're taking it personally.

I am not going down this rabbit hole to comment on your actions, tbh when I 1st read your post I thought you made an honest typo that I make often and I did smile. Sadly not however......

1 thing I will say considering the anger I will give some small credit for having the balls to sack up and admit to it in public. I am not sure I would

On top of that when the community make sure you fail, it will make the event all the more poignant as the chap will know how many rallied round him. I am sad to say I can't take part but I wish I could.

Last edited:
Your community is upset because they have been complaining for a long LONG time now about UA bombing griefing CG stations
1) I'm pretty sure that Frontier have "able to temporarily disable stations" in the game as a feature because they like the idea of not having a static galaxy, of player actions being able to make a difference in both directions, and of BGS actions having both positive and negative effects. See also them leaving Lockdowns, Outbreaks, Famines, and Busts in the game. They could build a game with a galaxy where only good things happen to you ... neither the setting nor the gameplay mechanics give any indication whatsoever that they actually want to do that.

(Should they with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight not have put a black market on this particular ship, probably. But everyone has 20:20 hindsight)

2) I can't remember the last time a CG station was successfully UA-bombed. If it's that big a problem, it's not hard for people to organise and pre-emptively deliver meta-alloys (I actually assume someone is) ... but also, CGs are announced on Thursdays. UAs give the "brink of closure" warning on Tuesdays, and then actually close the station a week later. So except for the (very) rare 2-week or longer CGs, or for CGs in extremely predictable locations, it's not even possible ... for those where it is, there's still a week's warning for the wider community to fix it.

3) No, the community is upset because of the circumstances surrounding this specific station. When The Pit in Pennsylvania got UA-bombed, no-one bar the unknown few who hauled MAs for a few weeks to fix it really cared. No angry threads on the forum. No particular concern. That station would have been exactly as hard to damage and fix as the Dove Enigma was and is.

Does UA bombing require a Black Market?

Seems to me that if Dove Enigma's Black Market were to experience 'issues' over the next couple of weeks, that's the major problem solved.
Delivering the UAs requires a black market. The UAs already delivered being effective does not - the black market is usually one of the facilities disabled by UA interference when it goes active.

Last edited:
From the desk of my lovely better half, Mrs Goose4291

“I’m really sorry that this man had cancer. I can’t imagine what kind of hell he has had to suffer and what life holds for him. However. Here we go. I’m now going to be regarded as somewhat contentious. He is playing an online game with hundreds of thousands of players and he is still an active participant. Here’s the controversial part: why should his illness matter? If he hadn’t told you, you wouldn’t know. It doesn’t impact his game. It might impact his commitment to the game on a long term but at the same time why should people treat him differently?
What about the special provisions put in place by frontier you say? Well they did that (and very understanding of them too) and have made it clear that any issues can be dealt with via in game mechanics.
As I said before, I’m sorry this man has cancer and I really wish him all the best. But it’s still a multiplayer online game where people can do what they like within the game’s context.

After catching up on this thread, left it around 9 gmt last night thus far this has been by far the post that made the most sense to me, and its from the other half of a player. Rep to your better half.

________

Expanding on my two liner back in the thread

Its not like who ever did this turned up and left a burning bag on his door step rang the bell and legged it, nor will it mean that the end goal for this event, or at least if I right in my understanding of player owned Mega Ships its FD who do the moveing on a thursday, if Im wrong on that Ill hold my hand up.

I know what this event is for but Ive never heard of it untill now, its a bit like watching the news and seeing dead kids getting pulled out of bombed buildings, hate to say its become so far removed and part of modern life that after seeing it most people get up and put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea.

I guess what Im trying to say is yeah it might be a crap thing to do, but some people really have over reacted, and kudos to those who feel its thier moral duty to help out, persoanly I wont be, not in game no where near the area in question and when it comes down to it, I have better things to do.

Sorry for sounding cold or uncareing and I have tried not to mention the whole C word here, but Ive lost loved ones to it, I might well lose more in the years to come. that might make me a bad person in some peoples eyes but what are we really. Names on a gaming forum, noone here is ever going to met me in RL, noone knows my real name, I do somtimes give away my age and the fact I have a better half but past that noone knows me as in the chap typing this spill, and I dont know any of you, which Im fine with.

I dont know the chap in question I can understand the whys and why nots but will it matter this time next week or after we get the news he has passed, and I do hope he gets to enjoy all the time he has.

The world moves on, we tend to move on with it, or at least I do.

Last edited:
Delivering the UAs requires a black market. The UAs already delivered being effective does not - the black market is usually one of the facilities disabled by UA interference when it goes active.

Oh sure, I was just thinking about preventing it from re-occurring in the immediate future. Although it sounds like there's enough MAs being delivered to UA-proof it until Christmas.

On reflection, deleting. I am sorry the affected party has become a pawn in a pretty toxic debate. :/

Last edited:
The main reason for this outrage is not because of the game mechanics (you can go through the gigs of discussion on this elsewhere). It is over the fact that there are some in this community who would like to ruin a terminal cancer patients last few weeks in the game before they pass. The fact that because someone is dying and that they get special treatment for it seems to have got some troll get jealous of the attention. Maybe we all had the hoped that the community might be better than this but I guess not, especially when people seem to agree with the trolls who are undertaking this action.

Well said and I agree completely.

It is entirely possible that there is an npc pilot drive happening to deliver meta alloys to this ship.
Npc pilots have feelings too.
Some despicable npc will certainly trying to snaffle the human pilots loads, so it certainly stands there must be some delivering goods too.
This means I am sure the load required is certainly reduced as required from the living pilots.

Here is a way the company can affect this situation and keep the immersian players happy.

It would be good to see a seperate thread asking for people to run meta alloys to this station, with all the details of location and time frame, so they could make a more informed desicion of if they can help. I have found the details etc very sporadic and random in this thread as it is discussing the issue more than the actual resolution and steps that can be taken. If someone is willing to collate the details that would be fantastic for people like myself whos free time is lacking (at work on phone as I type this)

Regards John.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom