GalNet: Fact or Fiction?

I don't see Galnet as an omniscient narrator, for me it is very much operated by entities within the game world, which implies a degree on unreliability.

I had one commander insult me yesterday for not believing that an article on GalNet was God's Own Truth (tm) and therefore indisputable.

I have to say that I've always treated the GalNet articles pretty much as I would a newspaper article, that is to be taken with a pinch of salt especially when making pronouncements from on high.

So, my question is, are GalNet articles always correct?

GalNET was always intended to have a hidden agenda... I'm not telling you what it is, but all things become clear in time....

I had one commander insult me yesterday for not believing that an article on GalNet was God's Own Truth (tm) and therefore indisputable.

I have to say that I've always treated the GalNet articles pretty much as I would a newspaper article, that is to be taken with a pinch of salt especially when making pronouncements from on high.

As I'm pretty sure I'm the CMDR in question there, I'm happy to say I agree with your general assessment of Galnet, and that's always been my stance on it. Galnet is generally the same as any other news service, and what's being told may be colored by the source we're hearing from, what's being left out, outright distortions, or any number of other things.

I've made many posts arguing that fact.

However, we also need to realize that sometimes the Devs just want to tell us something, and Galnet is how we're communicated to about lore. We know FD reads these forums. They had previously dropped major breadcrumbs on Galnet to allow us to realize for ourselves that the Thargoid attacks, when they came, were targeting Aegis labs. Like, gigantic breadcrumbs so clearly obvious they could have been in bright neon and blinking.

And yet a significant portion of the player base refused to see what was in front of their faces. In those such cases - which has happened many times before - FD spells it out directly on Galnet for the obtuse. Still in character sure, because they don't want to break that 4th wall, but as clearly stated as they possibly could without popping up an OS-level error message that says "They are targeting Aegis for goodness sake!".

When we're faced with that, yes, I call "obtuse" on people who still try to play the "maybe it's a CONSPIRACY!" card.

When one article says "this spokesman said X" and another one says "this other organization said Y", or when a plot that FD have been advancing gets a "ho hum, nothing to see here!" story from the faction that's been suspected all along, yes, that's FD intentionally creating some conspiracy for us.

But when FD gives us a huge backstory about an old intergovernmental agency that did secretive research to fight an alien threat, and spends a whole bunch of time an effort telling us how a lot of people were working for this agency with noble intent, but they went to some pretty dark places and had dark forces controlling them - while at the same time they're telling us all this also has another plot line going on about a new intergovernmental agency doing secretive research to fight an alien threat; then literally spells out a list for us of the space stations these secret agency labs are on; then systematically takes out every station on that list by the aliens being research - just them and no others; and on top of all of that releases another news article quoting one of the heads of the agency - who, from an RP perspective, has a vested interest in playing up the "attack on all humanity" angle - literally and directing telling us "Yes, the aliens were targeting those places because of us and our labs"... IT IS NO LONGER A CONSPIRACY.

FD is telling us something so hard they're all but tattooing it on our foreheads.

It's no longer a matter of being discerning about your news sources, it's just a matter of understanding how stories work.

So, yes. Take your journalism with a grain of salt. By all means. Be skeptical, that's a virtue. But a real skeptic isn't someone who just always says "Eh, that's your opinion..." and leaves it there. A real skeptic is someone who understands what an acceptable threshold of evidence is, what acceptable evidence is, and is honest enough to acknowledge when that threshold has or has not been reached.

By the supposed "standards of evidence" of some people there is literally nothing at all objectively real - in an in-game sense - in the story possible at all:

Storyline breadcrumbs? It could be something else.
Allusions to prior events? Maybe it's just mentioned by coincidence.
Flat-out being told by an in-game authority? Lies!
Flat-out being told by an offical loremaster? Oh, he's not a dev, that's just his opinion.
Flat-out being told by a Dev? Well, that's just what they want you to think...

If someone's standards of evidence are constructed so that nothing can actually ever reach it, I submit that those are stupid standards.

GalNet is official lore, but that's not to say that they're true.

They're typically in the format of "some Fed (ex-)president said", "some Fed Admiral said", "some Imp emperor said", and (rarely) "some Alliance PM said", meaning it's true only as far as you believe the Fed, Imp or Alliance bigwig.

I guess you never watched Goodfellas. Anyway, my point is there is nothing to doubt regarding the new Galnet article, it was clear what would happen, as soon as those bases started magically appearing without any CG's. Or in clearer terms, thank you Admiral Aden Tanner, for stating the bleeding obvious.

Within our group, I called these Aegis stations "sacrifice stations" when they first appeared. :D

Inserted to be destroyed.

So, my question is, are GalNet articles always correct?

It's kind of like reading the paper in a communist country, comrade.

As I'm pretty sure I'm the CMDR in question there, I'm happy to say I agree with your general assessment of Galnet, and that's always been my stance on it. Galnet is generally the same as any other news service, and what's being told may be colored by the source we're hearing from, what's being left out, outright distortions, or any number of other things.

<snip>

If someone's standards of evidence are constructed so that nothing can actually ever reach it, I submit that those are stupid standards.

Interesting theory but it misses the obvious and most important question....

What colour should it be then?

Which, looking at the goids is pretty obvious... All neon green, angry red and colour coordinated. They is clearly pimp.

Then compare and contrast to our own Galaxy... Beige basically with a few small lumps of battleship grey that we've added.

Beige and grey are not pimp... Hence it's pretty obvious what is going on here, an intergalactic version of mods versus rockers.

Frankly without knowing the colour of Aegis' soft furnishings we simply can't know.

Top Bottom