Dear Dev's: What's the Long-Term Vision?

Also said:
Sure, steps are
1. be imperial king rank to unlock a fur permit
2. surface scans of 5 specific tww in the cat's head nebula. we won't tell you which ones. It's the surprise of discovery.
3. unlock engineer Bill Turner for the modded guardian cargo rack with cat carrier experimental effect, there are components required, plentifully found on the other side of
the formidine rift (you'll know when you find them)
4. sell slaves in 9 different markets (9 lives)
5. deliver 793 tons of fish to eavesdown docks in the White Sun system for food

There, all set, enjoy your kitty! Easy Peasy!

The game is only grindy if you choose*

*to play it, participate or progress in any meaningful way

Jesus another insecure player begging for dev attention thread.

Does anyone just play the game anymore?

I'm not begging for attention and I do the play the game.
I'm just trying to ask some questions.

I already know that the Devs basically never answer any questions, but I thought I'd at least try. The worst case scenario is they get a thread of question to answer if by some cosmic level of luck they decide to answer or give us some feedback.

From what we know, based on what devs have said, the answers to your questions about the future are probably a mix of "yes, they want to" to "perhaps", with maybe a dash of "no" here and there.

Space legs is still referred to as something they want to do when they answer questions about it, but its also spoken of in terms that its years away yet.

sollisb

Banned
Don't wish to sound like a broken record; but..

The game is so broken at this stage, that adding more stuff to it is like throwing petrol on a fire.. It gets very hot and burns your eyes. Additionally, have you ever, ever, seen FDev add something new that worked right out of the gate? No.. Me neither!

The game is so broken at this stage, that adding more stuff to it is like throwing petrol on a fire.. It gets very hot and burns your eyes. Additionally, have you ever, ever, seen FDev add something new that worked right out of the gate? No.. Me neither!

The chieftain is a fantastic ship, it works right out of the gate and has displaced the FDL as my bestest dakka wagon. I also like the all new and improved engineers, especially being able to switch experimentals.

In fact I like and enjoy playing the game on the whole no real complaints at all, except trade I don't do that it's dull.

sollisb

Banned
The chieftain is a fantastic ship, it works right out of the gate and has displaced the FDL as my bestest dakka wagon. I also like the all new and improved engineers, especially being able to switch experimentals.

In fact I like and enjoy playing the game on the whole no real complaints at all, except trade I don't do that it's dull.

Agree, the cheef is awesome. Hasn't replaced anything for me, but that's personal. Engineers is an even bigger grid than the one it replaced. The C&P is just a mess. Long term vision seems to to pee off as many players as possible.

There is a plan? And here I thought it was all just a load of trials and errors (especially the errors part!). :(

fp,550x550,black,off_white,box20,s,ffffff.u2.jpg

[/LIST]
3. Wouldn't that be nice? A "Red" pack with "Red paint" with a Red Paintjob for any ship you own, instead of having to buy 30+ packs of paint for one color. But they'd much rather sell you 30 packs of paint, it's more money that way.

I hear what you are saying, but there is an additional consideration. Is it better for them to sell thirty 1-ship paint packs to 1000 completionists, or one 30-ship pack of paint to 30,000 casual players? On the surface, they appear to be the same. But let's look deeper:

Right now, If I buy a ship-specific paint pack, I get six different designs for one ship (let's say the Python). That's six options, but only one can be used at a time, and unless I want that paint pack to be a waste of money, I probably won't use another ship type very often. And let's face it, not every design in each pack is a winner, so let's say one out of every pack just doesn't look good to me. So if I buy another paint pack, now I have twelve options (two of which aren't looking good to me), but I still won't be any more encouraged to change ships (less so, in fact, now that I've sunk 2x the money into it's cosmetics). Let's say I've even got the extra money to spend and buy all 30 paint packs. I now have 360 options (60 of which don't look good to me), but I still am going to stick with that Python, because now I've spent 30x the amount on making it pretty, and no other ship will look any better than stock. The variables are all tied to one unit (ship type). The completionists will buy all the packs, but the average casual gamer will probably only buy one (maaayyybe two, if any).

Now, look at it the other direction. If I buy a design-specific paint pack, I get the ability to color any ship in my fleet with the same color/pattern, and now I have 30 different options. I'd also be more encouraged to change ship types, knowing my colors/patterns will carry over if I do. I may eventually decide that that design scheme isn't for me, or maybe it looks good on that Python, but my Cutter would look better in blue, and I'll spend money on another design pack, and now I have 60 options (2 for each ship). I've still spent the same 2x amount, but I'm not feeling penned into a particular ship. I know I'd personally be more likely to spend on a third design pack for all my ships (giving me 90 options, all of which I'm happy with) than I would spending on even a second skin pack for my Python (which give me 12 designs, and only 10 of them look good to me). The variables are tied to all 30 ship types. The completionists will still buy all the packs (and FD still get the same amount of money), but now the average casual gamer will be more likely to buy more than one pack (I know I would, but maybe I'm in the minority).

And the frugality of the store in limiting our options for ships are not encouraging me to open my wallet any further for other areas of the game beyond what I already have (bought one outfit pack to cover how awkward the avatar's torso looks and name plates (same problem; tying them to one ship type makes me less inclined to change ship types lest my purchase go to waste)).

That being said, they've already got my money, so they probably don't see a problem with the current model, but the question remains; how much more of my money will they get from me if they continue to use the current model?

Last edited:
Agree, the cheef is awesome. Hasn't replaced anything for me, but that's personal. Engineers is an even bigger grid than the one it replaced. The C&P is just a mess. Long term vision seems to to pee off as many players as possible.

The new engineers are fab, turn up once make a basic upgrade plus experimental effect pin the blue print and off you go to finish it later when you can be bothered. If you feel the need to do it in a hurry there's mat-traders for everything you could want.

Much better than before, the only thing that's exactly the same is that grinding is your own fault and problem.

C&P doesn't bother me in the slightest as I don't do naughty things.

Sure, steps are
1. be imperial king rank to unlock a fur permit
2. surface scans of 5 specific tww in the cat's head nebula. we won't tell you which ones. It's the surprise of discovery.
3. unlock engineer Bill Turner for the modded guardian cargo rack with cat carrier experimental effect, there are components required, plentifully found on the other side of
the formidine rift (you'll know when you find them)
4. sell slaves in 9 different markets (9 lives)
5. deliver 793 tons of fish to eavesdown docks in the White Sun system for food

There, all set, enjoy your kitty! Easy Peasy!

The game is only grindy if you choose*

*to play it, participate or progress in any meaningful way
Will I be able to call the cat Mr Cuddlesworth?

There's always one of these. No one has said that what is bugged, broken or otherwise bjorked, should not be fixed before any of these things are fixed. There's nothing wrong with speculating more than the very next thing you do.

I hear what you are saying, but there is an additional consideration. Is it better for them to sell thirty 1-ship paint packs to 1000 completionists, or one 30-ship pack of paint to 30,000 casual players? On the surface, they appear to be the same. But let's look deeper:

Right now, If I buy a ship-specific paint pack, I get six different designs for one ship (let's say the Python). That's six options, but only one can be used at a time, and unless I want that paint pack to be a waste of money, I probably won't use another ship type very often. And let's face it, not every design in each pack is a winner, so let's say one out of every pack just doesn't look good to me. So if I buy another paint pack, now I have twelve options (two of which aren't looking good to me), but I still won't be any more encouraged to change ships (less so, in fact, now that I've sunk 2x the money into it's cosmetics). Let's say I've even got the extra money to spend and buy all 30 paint packs. I now have 360 options (60 of which don't look good to me), but I still am going to stick with that Python, because now I've spent 30x the amount on making it pretty, and no other ship will look any better than stock. The variables are all tied to one unit (ship type). The completionists will buy all the packs, but the average casual gamer will probably only buy one (maaayyybe two, if any).

Now, look at it the other direction. If I buy a design-specific paint pack, I get the ability to color any ship in my fleet with the same color/pattern, and now I have 30 different options. I'd also be more encouraged to change ship types, knowing my colors/patterns will carry over if I do. I may eventually decide that that design scheme isn't for me, or maybe it looks good on that Python, but my Cutter would look better in blue, and I'll spend money on another design pack, and now I have 60 options (2 for each ship). I've still spent the same 2x amount, but I'm not feeling penned into a particular ship. I know I'd personally be more likely to spend on a third design pack for all my ships (giving me 90 options, all of which I'm happy with) than I would spending on even a second skin pack for my Python (which give me 12 designs, and only 10 of them look good to me). The variables are tied to all 30 ship types. The completionists will still buy all the packs (and FD still get the same amount of money), but now the average casual gamer will be more likely to buy more than one pack (I know I would, but maybe I'm in the minority).

And the frugality of the store in limiting our options for ships are not encouraging me to open my wallet any further for other areas of the game beyond what I already have (bought one outfit pack to cover how awkward the avatar's torso looks and name plates (same problem; tying them to one ship type makes me less inclined to change ship types lest my purchase go to waste)).

That being said, they've already got my money, so they probably don't see a problem with the current model, but the question remains; how much more of my money will they get from me if they continue to use the current model?

You either completely "get it", completely "get it" and don't know it, or upon looking deeper, the only other consideration is that more people would buy more things to have more options to do and try more things... so there's really no problem here.

Top Bottom