Ideas for ED's developers to ponder over.

I have an idea for ED. It involves improving Navy missions for any faction. The idea is; joining and docking with a factions huge Battlecruiser. That Battlecruiser or even fleet of Battlecruisers will become your base or home for your (npc and/or player) squadron/s while you invade other factions, take out enemy bases and enemy Battlecruisers and other strategic military targets in the aim of aiding your factions goals. The squadrons could be a mix of fighters, bombers and corvettes.The missions could be called 'tour of duty' or something like that. This will add a major new naval element to the game.

I have an idea for ED. It involves improving Navy missions for any faction. The idea is; joining and docking with a factions huge Battlecruiser. That Battlecruiser or even fleet of Battlecruisers will become your base or home for your (npc and/or player) squadron/s while you invade other factions, take out enemy bases and enemy Battlecruisers and other strategic military targets in the aim of aiding your factions goals. The squadrons could be a mix of fighters, bombers and corvettes.The missions could be called 'tour of duty' or something like that. This will add a major new naval element to the game.
It seems like a good idea. But how many people would abuse the battle cruisers and take them to LHS 3447? They will use them as a more effective way to kill new guys.

Thanks for the response. Yeah they would, if they could, but I was thinking the Battlecruiser and its admiral would be a npc, the players having no direct or real time control over where it goes, therefore avoiding abuse of its noob crushing power and power for treacherous or evil behavior. The player could dock, repair, refuel and take on sub missions revolving around the Battlecruisers overall mission. The cruser would have set way points in different front lines for a particular duration, in which it provides support in the largest factional conflicts (think; xwing/tie fightet xwa style). Each base or orbital base ect can provide (depending on rank and stats) different missions with different cruisers. The player can choose what Battlecruiser they tour with, but not where the Battlecruiser goes, that would be for the npc admiral or general to decide, under whom you serve through out the duration.

Last edited:
OK - and more

Not a bad idea - indeed a good one. But I have literally hundreds (really - hundreds) of ideas for improving this game. I authored the original Interdictor Pilot on TRS-80 in 1981, with follow-ons for Commodore-64 and Amstrad CPC-464. But unfortunately I do not believe that FD is particularly receptive to ideas for improvement. (Oh - and this forum automatically lists me as 'Mostly Harmless' - locate me in the game and see my true credentials).

Last edited:
I found this update news by the developers, it's not quite like how I originally described, but it's a step in the right direction none the less;

Quarter 4 update

Here are just a few things we talked about coming as part of the Quarter 4 update in the Beyond series.

Squadrons - Players like working together, w so we’re going to add a new organisation structure for player groups, called Squadrons. You’ll be able to create your own squadron with tools to manage its hierarchy and membership. Squadrons will feature enhanced communication options, making it easier to coordinate your efforts, whether you’re doing completing community goals, supporting your power or manipulating the background simulation. And as a little treat, squadrons will be able to purchase a fleet carrier, giving members a mobile base of operations where they can restock, refuel and respawn.

All in all Federal/Imperial Navy Strikes, the missions that you do should be more expansive than kill 24 pirates. I would love it if those missions required you to dock at a cruiser and get your briefing and mission from there. Maybe even use NPC wingmates for these types of missions at times.

Your "mostly harmless rank" is for how much you contribute here.

Being that you came here and just moaned without actually contributing I think it's quite fitting.

Alan. Squadrons is being worked on. That will be great if you are part of a player faction. Being part of a player faction also gives you a bit more direction with missions and bgs manipulation. Worth a shot if you haven't tried one.

Top Bottom