Please 2 separate target locks for destinations vs targets like ships, USS

There's nothing more annoying than always loosing your destination lock - any time you'd like to scan a ship or determine the type of a USS that popped up along the way.

If we had two separate target locks:

- one for items you can dock with or stars or planets,

- one for all other types of targets, like ships, USS, crates, materials,

It would become less inconvenient to check out many more things along the way,
without having to go into map or menu to laboriously re-target your destination, if the USS was a dud or you're done with it. Would make that part of the game a lot more appealing...

(Any present day military plane, tank or ship can track multiple targets, multiple types of targets not limited to two... so its not unrealistic)

Last edited:
If you haven't done so already you might want to check out targeting in options -> controls it may help yo out a little bit.

If you haven't done so already you might want to check out targeting in options -> controls it may help yo out a little bit.

Thanks! Not that I don't look at the controls all the time, but that lot has become so huge, I often fail to find what I'm looking for - or else, I can't think of what possible solution might be in there somewhere...

Once, a long time ago, I had a perfect external camera control setup... then that all got scrapped and now we have the 'camera studio' where the controls have too many stages and so far have simply seemed too much effort to figure out.

I also can't figure out how/why I have to reconfigure the controls every time I want to scan something from the SRV, because its incompatible with how it works from the ship, due to the SRV using Mouse2 for target select.

actually,
ships and static targets are already seperated.

- while in supercruise, you can hit "highest threat" button and it will deselect whatever ship you had selected and return to your last selected point of interest (station, planet, USS), unless you got attacked (interdiction)
- while on route to a system far away, you have a keybind for "next waypoint" to select the next system on route. works always unless you relog or when you are already in the last system of your route

the only thing that breaks your target lock on your travel destination is, when you are already in the final system, and you lock onto an USS to identify it. or any other non-ship-signal in supercruise

Thanks! Not that I don't look at the controls all the time, but that lot has become so huge, I often fail to find what I'm looking for - or else, I can't think of what possible solution might be in there somewhere...

Once, a long time ago, I had a perfect external camera control setup... then that all got scrapped and now we have the 'camera studio' where the controls have too many stages and so far have simply seemed too much effort to figure out.

I also can't figure out how/why I have to reconfigure the controls every time I want to scan something from the SRV, because its incompatible with how it works from the ship, due to the SRV using Mouse2 for target select.

Those control options are a jungle I don't blame you for thinking like that. It's just recently that I found out that you could cycle back to your next jump route.

actually,
ships and static targets are already seperated.

- while in supercruise, you can hit "highest threat" button and it will deselect whatever ship you had selected and return to your last selected point of interest (station, planet, USS), unless you got attacked (interdiction)
- while on route to a system far away, you have a keybind for "next waypoint" to select the next system on route. works always unless you relog or when you are already in the last system of your route

the only thing that breaks your target lock on your travel destination is, when you are already in the final system, and you lock onto an USS to identify it. or any other non-ship-signal in supercruise

Thanks for the details!

The last sentence of course is a major caveat for me, as - silly me - I tend to want to start scanning in the destination system lol, I guess I could focus more on high pop systems along the way - using these tips ^^

P.S.: Maybe I should just change the thread title to "FD, please let an A-rated sensor track and manage 6 targets and a D-rated sensor 3 targets"...?

Last edited:
Thanks for the details!

The last sentence of course is a major caveat for me, as - silly me - I tend to want to start scanning in the destination system lol, I guess I could focus more on high pop systems along the way - using these tips ^^

P.S.: Maybe I should just change the thread title to "FD, please let an A-rated sensor track and manage 6 targets and a D-rated sensor 3 targets"...?

i would love if USS would resolve without the requirement to hardlock them, since there is neither a keybind to cycle between non-ship targets, nor do i have head-tracking to select them while manouvering at the same time (mouse+keyboard)

It would be nice if you could just look at a Ship or USS and the scan happened automatically to show the details etc, (Wanted, USS Type), a scan duration of 3 seconds should be long enough.
I have Voice attack for VR and also a button on my Hotas set to resume my course if i target something else.

Top Bottom