Who is the Design Team?

My Python is floating somewhere in the bubble

Hope my pilot has food. Its been a few weeks and so far zero intention of going back for now.

Waiting for the C&P to smarten up

FWIW, I was very vocal about CnP, and I'm pretty happy with it now, it's no longer abusively inconvenient since 3.0.5

OP, it's only a shadow of what it could and should have been. A great many promises were made that will never be delivered (or excuses were made - I'm looking at you "offline mode"). :(

This weeks episode of Lave Radio had a dev on as a guest.

One of my impressions having listened was of 'geez I knew it was often complicated to impliment stuff but I hadn't really thought about how much'.

The way I see it we can all fantasize about the game we would all want (not that we could agree) and wait in Star Citizen like limbo, or get on with the game we have. A game which in my opinion is really rather good all things considered.

FWIW, I was very vocal about CnP, and I'm pretty happy with it now, it's no longer abusively inconvenient since 3.0.5
off topic but, what C&P changes/improvements were in 3.0.5?
I just took another peek at the notes, and it seems like a rather small patch, and i don't see any C&P notes.

Our game has had a new Executive Director. Has anyone heard a peep from him ....... ever ?

He spoke a bit at FX17 during the Beyond reveal, but he didn't seem like a guy who enjoyed the limelight much. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's the impression I got.

There's videos on Youtube somewhere.

He must be very busy being the entire design team. I feel bad for him sometimes, he gets a lot of misplaced flack.

The buck has to stop somewhere. You take the lead role and the remuneration that comes with it, that doesn't come without responsibility and accountability.

OP, it's only a shadow of what it could and should have been. A great many promises were made that will never be delivered (or excuses were made - I'm looking at you "offline mode"). :(

If you're playing what could have been instead of what is, that is the path of unavoidable disappointment; partly due to the lack of reliable temporal/parallel universe travel.

Plus even if you had a timespace machine there are waaaaay cooler things to do with it than get this game upgraded. Yep, it could have been a lot better. Or, a whole lot worse, since nobody knows what coding disasters didn't happen. Right now it's this.

The buck has to stop somewhere. You take the lead role and the remuneration that comes with it, that doesn't come without responsibility and accountability.

I'm not fully aware of the FDEV org chart but I was under the impression that Sandro is the lead designer but that isn't the lead role; there are employees above him that hold more responsibility for the games design and direction.

off topic but, what C&P changes/improvements were in 3.0.5?
I just took another peek at the notes, and it seems like a rather small patch, and i don't see any C&P notes.

No more locked out of outfitting across the galaxy when notorious. It was 3.0.4,you're right, my bad. Anyway, for me that one thing was the kicker.

At the end of the day any game being released is the game that a developer wanted to create and NOT a game that a gamer expected them to create.

It depends, because there is a moral to that in terms of right and wrong. The decision for removing Community Goal and GalNet submissions is unjustified, especially that things are slowly returning back to normal since the launch of Update 2.4 The Thargoids. A lot of factions are angry about this certain move and I'm not so happy either about it. It takes away the freedom the community was once best at for shaping some parts of the Galaxy.

Personally, since that move, the headline for Elite Dangerous about shaping the galaxy through player actions is a blatant lie. But I guess it kinda makes me chuckle as it's the complete opposite of what that means in the game right now.
5Oe01Vp.png

This should be renamed to "A Galaxy Shaped Through a Story-Driven Narrative" rather than "Your Actions Shape The Galaxy".

Last edited:

According to devs themselves it is team work, and there is no *the* main designer. What information I gather FD rely heavily on scientific method of making decisions - that includes design. Thus there's no "ohh this designer made this decision, I want him to get fired". This doesn't work like that here.

It depends, because there is a moral to that in terms of right and wrong. The decision for removing Community Goal and GalNet submissions is unjustified, especially that things are slowly returning back to normal since the launch of Update 2.4 The Thargoids. A lot of factions are angry about this certain move and I'm not so happy either about it. It takes away the freedom the community was once best at for shaping some parts of the Galaxy.

Personally, since that move, the headline for Elite Dangerous about shaping the galaxy through player actions is a blatant lie. But I guess it kinda makes me chuckle as it's the complete opposite of what that means in the game right now.
https://imgur.com/5Oe01Vp.png

This should be renamed to "A Galaxy Shaped Through a Story-Driven Narrative" rather than "Your Actions Shape The Galaxy".

Nope, gonna go with the original tag line. Why?

Player actions working the BGS change the boundaries of power (for example, there was quite the stir when Harm system got flipped away from Li Yong-Rui's control and you couldn't buy Cutters there at the 15% discount anymore.)

Player actions are repelling Thargoid incursions, flocking to locations that are now being determined to be points of entry for an invasion fleet. This was tested: one predicted target was defended vigorously, one was not. The one that the players arrived at in droves to fight Thargoids was spared, the other had its stations trashed.

CGs decide regularly whether or not new stations get built or old ones expanded. (Yes, some aren't fond of this mechanic, but that doesn't change the fact that player involvement decides if they succeed or fail.)

The more accurate statement would be, "Players' actions shape the galaxy, though not in a way some would like, and not with the results some would like."

You can't really make that call. GalNet submissions were put on hold, not removed. They said they are going trough reorganization of process, and GalNet Audio most likely was some part of it.

As for removing Community Goals - again, different reasons. It is obvious that FD plans to move part of such meta gameplay to Squadrons with much more formalized process. It is again transitional process.

Your actions feed background simulation and even actions against Thargoids are fed there and determines their actions. How that's a lie?

Top Bottom