Planetary Circumnavigation - Wilson Edition

Since I'm now again in full exploration mode (shame on you Alec, shame on you! :D), I hope to be able to pay a visit there soon too!

No promises though...a new ship, a shiny rover, 3.0 planets...you know how these things go :)...

Day 6

What a world you've found here. If there are many like it, I'd better learn to flive.
I can only recommend to always check out small rocky ice planets, you have a good chance of them being awesome. When I made the decision to check out this one upon entering the system most people would have probably wondered why I do that, why fly some 2500ls out just to check a low value rock? Thats why! :D

And welcome to Planet Wilson Alec, looks like you are dong some base jumping. But remember: If you break something, you bought it!
More visitors are always welcome too of course, should they make it :p

Now to yesterday, it was a beautiful sunny day
Seeing now better then yesterday how it looks in the canyon its probably for the best that I'm out, looks like the terrain down there got more troublesome
00614du3h.jpg

The scenerie is very nice, be it to my right
006787uli.jpg

to my left
0068gguxd.jpg

or straight ahead
0061019uo5.jpg

As the canyon splits and just staying to the side of it would lead me of course a whole lot, so I decide to go across between two canyons first place it looks easy enough to do. Probably wouldn't be difficult doing it further ahead either but lets play it safe and do it now
Looks unproblematic to go across here
00613qpu1w.jpg

Not everything goes to plan, I miss targets a bit again
00615wuusm.jpg

And end up on lower ground
006181wupq.jpg

But all goes well and I'm between the canyons now
00622hyu79.jpg

The canyons don't look to troublesome now so I don't think I have to worry accidently falling down somwhere
00625gouuc.jpg

And then made camp for the night at -16.14/66.24 after I have driven 0.14Mm
006284vuwa.jpg

Fun fact: I have now totaly driven 10.00Mm in my SRV since horizon launched, I really like driving in the SRV <3

Last edited:
And welcome to Planet Wilson Alec, looks like you are dong some base jumping. But remember: If you break something, you bought it!

Thanks Bomba, I've got two SRV's with me but yeah, point taken ... it's a long way to the nearest SRV dealer! Hopefully we'll meet up at some point over the bank holiday weekend!

Bomba, a technical (and probably stupid) question - how can you fly your camera so far away from your SRV to make a pic? I cannot go further than 200 or 250 meters... :S

I'm just clearing Planet Wilson customs and looking at the surface map while I wait in the queue.
It's showing the planet view that's dark above in day light now.
I always thought the surface map view on a planet was static.

Bomba, a technical (and probably stupid) question - how can you fly your camera so far away from your SRV to make a pic? I cannot go further than 200 or 250 meters... :S
Hm? I'm pretty sure I have the same limits as everybody else so I'm not sure what you mean.

Nick: It does change but don't ask me about the details behind it, its not like its always correct either. Just like it showed on the planetary map yesterday that the place is in the dark while I was in daylight. Maybe its just linked to the planet rotation on the system map without being all that correct.

Hm? I'm pretty sure I have the same limits as everybody else so I'm not sure what you mean.

It may be that Bomba is using the zoom feature of the new camera suite to zoom out a long way. For example, this is what I did in the following screenshot.

ppHiUwe.png
You have to be slightly careful with your composition because it has a tendency to fisheye things, making stars and planets non-circular and distorting the appearance of things like ships and the SRV, but as long as you keep circular bodies central and vehicles small then it's very handy for getting those big panoramic shots.

Last edited:
...how can you fly your camera so far away from your SRV...

I had the same question when I started my circumnavigation, and I discovered the answer's a combination of several of the camera controls, because, if you're too close to your ship or SRV, you still seem almost locked to it. Remember to zoom out, 'cause that can be easy to forget, then fly your camera up, and back; I bind my camera-controls to be the same as my ship-controls, so that'd be upward vertical thrust and backward thrust.

You should have the distance by then, so you can pitch and yaw to grab the shot you want. As Alec said, watch out for distortion at the edges, and you may need to zoom or thrust in a bit if it's crept up on you.

Day 7

I don't really use the zoom out function, I zoom in at times but not out. Dunno really, I just zoom out as far as I can and thats it. First screenshot today is from 250m distance without using zoom that should be a normal max distance.

Today its night again, was a very suprising day! But first things first, just had to make my way as normal (at first)
Zoom out pic ^^
0072v8p31.jpg

Its a nice terrain driving between two canyons but I Almost fell down the one to my right once
007889qq7.jpg

Then I find some PoIs close together, first a bunch of poor souls in escape pods
00713vxqjz.jpg

Then a beacon
00718z3q3t.jpg

And right there at the beacon I picked up another signal, following it what I found was quite a suprise - a Cobra! :D
and not some average joe cobra it belongs to rockstar Alice Cooper!
00721j0o5k.jpg

The CMDR is clearly afk while I arrive, so I try to use it as an opportunity to jump on his ship. Then I could park my srv on his canopy wich would be funny when he comes back. At least that was the plan, because I kinda messed up...
00723w5ov0.jpg

Can't wiggle my out there and thrusters are of course deactivated
00726rqrwk.jpg

The CMDR came back finding me stuck on his cobra, that was embarrassing. But all good in the end and we have srv meeting
0072794qll.jpg

I had of course try to jump on his cobra gain, this time with success!
007311godq.jpg

Raider Cobra really does look great
00732idqx7.jpg

He then had to leave again so it was time for a goodbye hug :p
00733mhrjc.jpg

I continue my way, the ground between the two canyons is getting pretty narrow and I start to wonder If I really have taken the right way
not much space up here
00739sfop1.jpg

Yeah, the way ahead doesn't look so good...
00741hhq63.jpg

It goes down and at this point I guess I have to go down only way to go. So I go and then... OH GOD NO, its goes a lot deeper down here on the side then I tought, don't fall down there Bomba!
00743cfrlq.jpg

I Fell!
00745tmrsq.jpg

And there is so little light down here that I have no clue where I'm goinging, where am I even?
00748btoz2.jpg

Where do I drive?!
00747xar6y.jpg

Then I had to stop for the day, could be quite the mess I gotten myself into but I don't really know its too dark to see if its a mess :D
For now I made camp at -15.15/53.75 and I totaly forgott to check my distance driven, will update that tomorrow ^^
00750sroq7.jpg

So funny when I come back from making a cup of coffee to see tyre tracks out of the cabin window but no one about!

I'd been trying to find Cmdr Bomba Luigi using eyesight/radar by flying on his predicted route but couldn't and finally landed for a rest.

I was away for about 10 minutes and had that weird moment and found an SRV stuck in my spikes.

Great to meet up with you Cmdr and I'll see you again sometime.

Day 8

So funny when I come back from making a cup of coffee to see tyre tracks out of the cabin window but no one about!

I'd been trying to find Cmdr Bomba Luigi using eyesight/radar by flying on his predicted route but couldn't and finally landed for a rest.

I was away for about 10 minutes and had that weird moment and found an SRV stuck in my spikes.

Great to meet up with you Cmdr and I'll see you again sometime.
It definitly wasnt the suprise I wanted you to have but I guess it at least was some suprise :D

Hey Aken, welcome to Wilson! Now you have to play "where is waldo" and try to spot me on your pic :p

On to Day 8, yesterday I two sessions and on the first one I got some daylight. Seeing now better where I am It didn't look like the best place to be but not impossible to get out either
I can see the sun there, I think, its in the process of a sunset
008a1tqrv6.jpg

Making my way out of the Canyon, trying to get as high as I can but I can't just straight out drive out of it
008a48spic.jpg

But by driving sidewides and slightly up I slowly get there until I am eventually out
008a6haoib.jpg

A nice area here, canyons, crators as well as ridges and Mountains in the distance
008a9u9q79.jpg

The canyons tend to keep getting in the way tough but for now I did stop here at the side of a canyon
008a134nrmq.jpg

Coming back later in the day it was night, staying on course meant crossing my path with a canyon again
Same spot as my last shot, damn that galactic core ambient lighnting it makes the place look worse ^^
008b19upqa.jpg

The Canyon itself isn't a problem anymore, a quick hop in
008b30jri4.jpg

And out on the other side again without any problems
008b48qq7y.jpg

I was driving around some more when Alec turner quickly swung by to say hello!
Pressed F10 just at the right moment, I think it looks great with all the dust going up like that just when he hit the ground :D
008b79pr4x.jpg

All Yellow is proper DBX color, you choose wisley cmdr turner
008b10lyrtv.jpg

I guess stealing his ship and trying to pretend its mine wouldn't quite out...
008b11gyo2a.jpg

He left and I continued on my way, with yet another canyon getting in the way. At least they are very unproblematic at this point
I think I'm nearing the point where the canyons end, which is way they are so shallow now
008b139br9s.jpg

Alltough closer up it can be a bit steeper and higher to get out then I think when looking at it from a distance, but it never gets to the point where It could be a problem
008b15faoxi.jpg

Eventually I reach point where this canyon definitly ends, I can also see mountains in the distance and the one straight ahead of me should be the one I chose as waypoint 4
008b17g6rt4.jpg

I'm getting closer to the mountain but I had to stop, for now I am at -15.41/36.96. I forgott to check distance yesterday and checking today I realised that I reached 10Mm driven is not good. The Main thing about that statistik seems to be that we are limited to 3 Numbers, which means it doesn't have much worth now anymore. Looking at it I can say I have driven 0.4Mm the last two days, which is not very precise at all ^^

... speaking of things I forgett, I forgott to take a picture of the planetary map with my position. Will try to make sure to do that first thing today before I move and then edit it in here.

Edit: There it is:
009a21zu0g.jpg

Last edited:
The Main thing about that statistik seems to be that we are limited to 3 Numbers, which means it doesn't have much worth now anymore. Looking at it I can say I have driven 0.4Mm the last two days, which is not very precise at all ^^
I was hoping it would still give it with 4 numbers (for example 12.63Mm instead of 12.6Mm). But we have to live with it (and secretly hope devs change that, but doubt its in anyones priority list).

Good going. :)

Day 9

Yeah they most likley have the exact number down to 1 meter but just don't show it to us, FD can be mean like that :D

Today was a very productive day, had 3 Sessions across the day. Starting off it was still night but the galactic core is gone so it was a bit dark
Not the best visability but I still prefer it to the excessive ambient light
009a1k2sgh.jpg

I come across a PoI with a couple cansiters and decide to use it as an opportunity to a bit shopping. Got some visitors latley so it can't hurt having gifts :p
009a5bwstj.jpg

At one point I realise that I probably I have a mountain in front of me, almost didn't notice at first lol. Should be smaler one that comes before the big mountain who is my next waypoint
009a7xhs82.jpg

The Way is starting to get really bumpy but I did know that before hand, could be easly seen when scouting the route. And its doable
009a10b9sem.jpg

After a break I came back, still night but approaching Sunrise
Looking back on the Mountain I passed
009b39esc0.jpg

And in front of me the big one, waypoint 4
009b4yds8a.jpg

Some more poor souls in escape pods
009b60vsk0.jpg

Getting closer to the Mountain parts of it started to light up, sun is coming up
009b8oqs2n.jpg

Having to rest for a bit again I decide to drive up on the mountain high enough to be in daylight and have some nice view
009b10prs3w.jpg

Coming back its now day and I'm glad did choose to stop where I did
Its a very nice view up here
009c16euaw.jpg

A shot from the mountain closer up while I past it
009c6neuwa.jpg

And one driving away from it, its a good looking mountain!
009c790u9k.jpg

The way ahead is now very srv friendly, lets me make good progress
009c14riu8k.jpg

A last look back to the Mountain, you can see a bit of his top still peaking up on the horizon
009c20j9ufh.jpg

To my left is a big Canyon which now gets closer as he moves slightly into my route
I can start seeing him
009c21ilutl.jpg

As he gets close I get close so I can have closer look at him, its a very lovley canyon but I definitly need to make sure that I don't fall in there. Just look at those walls, no way I would get out of there again ^^
009c23t3ucb.jpg

To my left the Terrain isn't quite that spectacular but I can be nice too with some craters here and there
009c30u0uhn.jpg

A Beacon almost fell down the canyon :D
009c32zqu6q.jpg

Then I have to stop and make camp at a nice spot next to the canyon (The urge to jump down there is strong :p )
009c338yuuw.jpg

I got really good terrain now for making progress, there is a canyon getting in the way but its just a small, thin line on the Map. They can sometimes trick you into thinking they don't look like trouble, but lets be optimistic. Other then that It should be a smooth ride to the next waypoint, I think.
I stopped at -15.79/7.00, driven, well, at least 300km
009c36tdu8j.jpg

I was hoping it would still give it with 4 numbers (for example 12.63Mm instead of 12.6Mm). But we have to live with it (and secretly hope devs change that, but doubt its in anyones priority list).

I'm hopeful we can at least get it in the journal of stats that gets written at log on (if you're on PC).

It gives us time played in seconds and max distance from start to 9 decimals at the minute so if they ever include it I expect metres at least, maybe centimetres...

I very VERY nearly learned to my cost today (exactly as Bomba Luigi did many moons ago now) that planet Wilson, pleasant tho it can seem on the surface, is DEADLY like a venus fly trap.

I touch down at Bomba's last reported co-ordinates, park the DBX and do some prospecting for repair and refuel synthesis materials while I wait for him to show up. After a while, and with the immediate area around my ship stripped of all its ore, I take off again with the intention of flying to the other side of the ravine to do the same. As I cross I observe a pair of perfectly flat topped peaks rising up out of the valley and am consumed by an idea. Land the ship on one, drive the SRV across to the other and then take a photograph looking back at my ship in the distance. It'll be fantastic, one for the album!

Mistake. Big mistake. HUGE. (did Bomba's previous adventure teach us nothing?)

I park the ship and start to bound across to the other peak but quickly get into trouble. This terrain is horrible. It's crooked and spiky and STEEP.

Before I know it I'm on the edge of what I can only describe as Sarlacc's Pit, and I'm slowly slipping further and further into it.

nReZSKb.png

EBAmvyS.png

These don't really do it justice but the holographic terrain image in my HUD shows the true horror of the situation I find myself in (and only 639m away from my ship too!).

MeX8ZWb.png

The more I struggle the deeper I slide, until inevitably I find myself at the bottom. You can see the tiremarks where I've tried in vain to scrabble out of this hell hole.

YiwURtA.png

It's pretty much at this moment that Mr Luigi decides to show up and I have to confess that I've "done a Bomba". It seems hopeless but it's then I discover a technique of boosting myself up and across, landing sideways on alternate sides of the funnel, barely clinging to the near vertical edges. After 10 more minutes of this I'm suddenly out. The terrain is rough as hell but it's out of the pit!

I eventually get myself onto a ridge that's long enough that I'll be able to take a run up and risk one all or nothing leap across to a shelf I can see in the distance. What's beyond the shelf I have no idea but it's the only hope I've got.

But first I have to nip outside the SRV for a second to have a quick pee (I've been in that hole a long time)!

[to be continued as soon as the video of my leap to freedom (or doom) has finished uploading]

Last edited:
For me worse part of spiky mountains is often not knowing what direction to go (when being nearly stuck). Sometimes when its dark, its really dark. Not a good feeling.

Top Bottom