My journey around 366km radius rocky moon (travel log)

...and the farther you are from the Bubble...perhaps from Sol...the larger the increase per unit distance travelled.

Boy, that explains a lot.

Recently got Elite in exploration and was very surprised since I hadn't been going for it and last I checked needed to scan hundreds more high-value systems. I bet all that long-distance driving near Colonia gave me a pretty solid chunk.

Day 24:
Todays start. Daylight. Amazing:
(love the blue spots)
(when i finish circumference i will try to get some northern icy bits under daylight - don't know if its possible since for example today main star is quite low on southern sky, maybe it doesn't rise higher on poles)
xRBm3GV.jpg

It wasn't as steep as i guessed nighttime. Descended and continued ahead:
(nice tracks)
Njf1Hjh.jpg

Love the little hints of blue on the walls:
luM4LZq.jpg

After that passage arrived to this. Interesting terrain ahead:
UGfHVSX.jpg

After little bit of drive arrived to this. Little shot of what is on the left:
(but continued ahead to the darkness - pictured on the right)
yJBsatB.jpg

After climbing that "darkness" made this shot. Grey looks amazing in low light:
(there is some valley ahead and continued there)
XmfGaZS.jpg

At the end of valley made 2 shots at same spot:
(looking ahead - some great cliffs)
IN4MF6r.jpg

(looking left i can see some opening between mountains, heading there)
iceZCMi.jpg

This passage was much longer than i guessed. It might look like its going to end around corner, but that was not the case:
(notice steep cliffs around - at places it was very narrow)
2b5ld18.jpg

After some drive noticed the exit - it was much further away than it looks in this pic:
CrHR9bR.jpg

Finally out. Since i need to turn to little bit right, continued along the cliffs at the right:
pvh9L3J.jpg

Nice cliffs. Some climbing to do:
cxo3plV.jpg

After climb arrived to this. I think great place to end day:
Z2gX9sn.jpg

End of day 24 surface map. I have marked my Start/Finish crater:
AwWHMnw.jpg

Day 24 was 50km (total is 2207km). Climbs take time. Great pics today, moon looks great in daylight.

Last edited:
Day 24:
Todays start. Daylight. Amazing:
(love the blue spots)
(when i finish circumference i will try to get some northern icy bits under daylight - don't know if its possible since for example today main star is quite low on southern sky, maybe it doesn't rise higher on poles)
https://i.imgur.com/xRBm3GV.jpg
It wasn't as steep as i guessed nighttime. Descended and continued ahead:
(nice tracks)
https://i.imgur.com/Njf1Hjh.jpg
Love the little hints of blue on the walls:
https://i.imgur.com/luM4LZq.jpg
After that passage arrived to this. Interesting terrain ahead:
https://i.imgur.com/UGfHVSX.jpg
After little bit of drive arrived to this. Little shot of what is on the left:
(but continued ahead to the darkness - pictured on the right)
https://i.imgur.com/yJBsatB.jpg
After climbing that "darkness" made this shot. Grey looks amazing in low light:
(there is some valley ahead and continued there)
https://i.imgur.com/XmfGaZS.jpg
At the end of valley made 2 shots at same spot:
(looking ahead - some great cliffs)
https://i.imgur.com/IN4MF6r.jpg
(looking left i can see some opening between mountains, heading there)
https://i.imgur.com/iceZCMi.jpg
This passage was much longer than i guessed. It might look like its going to end around corner, but that was not the case:
(notice steep cliffs around - at places it was very narrow)
https://i.imgur.com/2b5ld18.jpg
After some drive noticed the exit - it was much further away than it looks in this pic:
https://i.imgur.com/CrHR9bR.jpg
Finally out. Since i need to turn to little bit right, continued along the cliffs at the right:
https://i.imgur.com/pvh9L3J.jpg
Nice cliffs. Some climbing to do:
https://i.imgur.com/cxo3plV.jpg
After climb arrived to this. I think great place to end day:
https://i.imgur.com/Z2gX9sn.jpg
End of day 24 surface map. I have marked my Start/Finish crater:
https://i.imgur.com/AwWHMnw.jpg
Day 24 was 50km (total is 2207km). Climbs take time. Great pics today, moon looks great in daylight.

I know they're all grey but jeez, those vistas are soooo beautiful! Every one of those images makes me want to drive there.

I sense the nascence of Alec's next club. ;)

Tee hee! [haha]

Day 25: (not as many pics as last day)
Nighttime. Starting location today:
Im6z587.jpg

Descent wasn't overly difficult:
A1pEZAv.jpg

After little valley used this opening to go ahead:
oWnAEGV.jpg

Sometimes it was quite hilly:
uPrPbNO.jpg

Second half of the day was mostly much flatter:
3bmMCTm.jpg

It was flatter, but still some great cliffs here and there:
SzQCulh.jpg

That crater was good place to end today:
GCHYMeA.jpg

End of day 25 surface map:
qXPFll7.jpg

Day 25 was 90km (total is 2297km). Wanted to get some distance today, and i think 90km is not bad. Looks like finish will be next week (even with weekend drives).

Last edited:
Day 26:
Today was daytime again. Starting crater was very beautiful in daylight:
EzNEAzG.jpg

It was not easiest to gross, very rolling terrain at bottom:
(but atleast it was not very big crater; loved how this shot brings lots of colors out)
RwJjAte.jpg

After crater it was much flatter. Wouldn't call it flat, but just terrain i'm already very familiar in this moon:
Br6St8f.jpg

Loved this little mini-crater:
(and deceided to climb that little hill after that)
wKnm2R2.jpg

It was short but steep climb:
JhL6nKx.jpg

View on top:
bydYO2b.jpg

Ended day here. Little different color terrain, and interesting cliffs ahead.
(that directs me little bit to south-east, but lets look next day what is there)
lio49Ay.jpg

End of day 26 surface map:
(can't read much from surface map, "dark side" of surface map makes it harder to understand)
x1ajBsj.jpg

Day 26 was 170km (total is 2467km). Passed mathematical circumference km's :) Starting/Finishing big crater is coming closer and closer.

Yeah grey (and grey mixed with little bit of different color) looks great. More time to play on weekend, less on workdays. :)

Day 27:
Today sun was low on right:
jbqZ1do.jpg

Road at the start was very rolling:
(but darker surface looked good in low light)
9VwBicm.jpg

Arrived to the cliffs:
(and heading towards last climb)
Xedno5i.jpg

I almost got lost climbing, hard to understand what climb is what, darkness didnt help either:
(deceided to not climb the hill pictured left, too much to the east, first priority was to get where i can get a better view - meaning ahead in this pic)
3Dsw0iG.jpg

Finally got past the climb (as you can see shadows of cliffs make it harder to understand what is what):
(view to back)
PQXGpUG.jpg

(view to ahead)
7cr7MGK.jpg

But as i drove ahead, shadow of big cliff made good photo opportunity:
(looking right as i drove ahead)
e7krdpM.jpg

Ended day here:
TpBsnxU.jpg

End of day 27 surface map:
FEeGMHW.jpg

Day 27 was 110km (total is 2577km). Btw i have started to get many more civilization POIs after encounter with NPC many days ago (the one i reported here), today also 1 POI with pods (yesterday there was one with data point). Nothing big or exciting, just data points or escape pods (no other NPCs). Maybe last patch did something? Or maybe i just notice them better (doubt it is 10x better).

Day 28: (drove yesterday, but report today)
Todays start at daylight. Planet looking great at the sky:
7I5jrLQ.jpg

Started to find different color of terrain. For example this looked really white/beige instead of usual grey/darkyellowish:
4gPLC4f.jpg

Some darker color too. At distance this seemed like a start of canyon, but it was just a little "crack". Still great looking:
D3J2SPW.jpg

This was great spot to bring out different colors of soils. Notice tiny crater at the right of the SRV is very different from surrounding terrain:
(this was not the only sample)
UFDYwms.jpg

But at rightside of great view too. Great cliff:
M67ngvk.jpg

Descended, it was much steeper than it looked at first, but atleast it provided this great view:
5Tp0VKX.jpg

Ended day here. Mountain is bigger than it looks in this pic:
UGCyAkU.jpg

End of day 28 surface map:
6Eg164B.jpg

Day 28 was 70km (total is 2647km). Still at northern hemisphere, but very close to equator. Next day i think will be saturday.

Last edited:
Day 29: (had 2 sessions today)
Today was nighttime again. Climbed the cliff that i reached previous day:
n69AeFY.jpg

And a view from on my way down:
(it was quite steep at places)
FI2XA7H.jpg

The point i grossed equator:
(to my back is northern hemisphere, in front of me is southern hemisphere)
gNHpxUl.jpg

It was day with mostly flat terrain (gradual up and down), it was speedy day. At some point i began noticing more craters. Like this:
r6iQVn4.jpg

And at this crater i took my lunch break:
iW55kJe.jpg

Right after that was this little crater:
(i think my favorite from today - there were many craters)
WqDSJho.jpg

And it started to become more mountainous:
YoHrrhd.jpg

Ended my day here in flat:
(actually had a real panic moment at the end - i was just driving and jumping as usual, nothing unusual and good terrain, when i think SRV computer said power plant over capacity (or something), and oxygen tank started countdown from 5:00. Super panic. First thing i did was to recall my ship, as she was recalling tried to reboot my life support but didn't manage to do it. Tried to reset my power, but with no success either. Got back to ship (luckly at ship there is air), tried again, no success (it was still counting down). I have a second SRV, so for now i switched to it. When i reach my starting point, i try to fix my first SRV, i know with my panic i must have missed something. I have AFMU, but know probably fix is elsewhere. If anyone have newbie guide to help it, is welcome to share it - Premium Beta player, nearly 600 hrs playtime, but still some part of game are unclear :p And one question - if i get destroyed in my SRV, do i just spawn back to my ship?)
4Btzvf7.jpg

End of day 29 surface map:
(not much to go)
hTQtmDY.jpg

Day 29 was 230km (total is 2877km).

Don't die now so close to the finish! :D

What happens sounds like something that happens to me sometimes, which is when I don't pay attention to fuel and run out of it.

What happens sounds like something that happens to me sometimes, which is when I don't pay attention to fuel and run out of it.
Yeah fuel thing is not out of question. I usually refuel when SRV shows warning, but could have missed it. Will try refueling SRV 1 when i'm back at starting location (will use SRV 2 to reach starting point).

btw it might only be my imagination, but in my opinion after last patch SRV started using fuel like crazy :p . Probably my imagination. I think i refuel maybe once per 1hr, or per 1h30min, and will usually refuel when hitting 25% warning. Dont know if that is too much or normal.

Yup, I was gonna say fuel. As for what happens if you lose an SRV - yup, you end up back in the ship in orbit over the planet. Happened to me during my circumnavigation, lost one of my two SRVs. If you get into trouble try to grab a screenshot so you've got the coordinates to continue your journey in SRV number 2.

btw it might only be my imagination, but in my opinion after last patch SRV started using fuel like crazy :p . Probably my imagination. I think i refuel maybe once per 1hr, or per 1h30min, and will usually refuel when hitting 25% warning. Dont know if that is too much or normal.

We share the same fervid imagination then, because I noticed the same! It already happened more than once since 3.0 hit...just take a stroll around the ship, break a bunch of rocks, check that strange signal 2 km away, fuel reserves at 25%, take a look from the edge of that crat-fuel reserves at 25%! How the heck, I didn't even got far away enough to dismiss the ship!

Maybe a faulty update of the SRV's ECU in last patch, I'm expecting a vehicle recall notice in my mailbox anytime now. Or else, anyone knows the costs for an LPG conversion from a competent workshop? :p

Day 30:
Today nighttime, and not as flat as yesterday:
(greatly enjoyed todays drive, knew it was going to end and these were my last few km on this moon)
dJgj7dT.jpg

That "wall" was too steep to drive across:
(made a little detour to left)
N75xbbp.jpg

After that noticed some mountains in distance - knew that was the starting big crater:
(and why climb so decided to use "gate" at right corner of the pic)
g5nBf1l.jpg

Well that came up very suddenly:
(as you can imagine no time to make better pic)
VZqL28E.jpg

When i landed, it was narrow pathway to inside of crater:
LlJOsQo.jpg

Pathway lead me to this:
(end is in sight, only had to cross that big "hole")
GjXETwN.jpg

Descent was very steep. Average i think about 60 degrees, no joke, with some dips over 70 :
tkLzNaQ.jpg

Reached starting point. Fixed my SRV 1, yes out of fuel was the reason.
Start was at -41.6512 29.6144
Finish was at -41.6568 29.6157

Fully enjoyed it. It was fantastic moon.
Ending selfie. Love how ASP paintjob glows under galaxy:
AmH504c.jpg

Before and after stats pics:
(yay for +1 exploration :p ; and for those too lazy to do math - took me 2987km and 56hrs54min if my math is correct)
NuuvFBf.jpg

tCzsjCw.jpg

Next did some summary pics of this moon.
Starting/ending crater:
qdnKCSE.jpg

Little bit of ice:
4pt3rYV.jpg

And as landed:
2RJy8Nc.jpg

Nice icy canyons:
(love the icy glow)
SzrxO2L.jpg

Closeup:
JSnRShL.jpg

Memories:
UARUMnF.jpg

(days 13-17, sorry for small font, imagined numbers would show better)
irbtw0Q.jpg

I think this is the highest mountain in this moon:
EZrNv9t.jpg

And 2 more higher orbit pics:
n9q27e6.jpg

(and imo this would be perfect profile pic for this moon)
QDI6Jri.jpg

Currently at the orbit of this moon. Hard to leave :)
Also looked at bright spots at surface map i wanted to get a look in daylight - concluded these were just surface map shadows.
I think i will not race to hand over exploration data, but as i travel back try to bookmark other interesting things to come back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom