News Livestream: Elite Dangerous Battle Cards (24/05 - 7:00 PM BST)

Boardgames are more popular in 2018 than they ever have been. I visit a boardgames convention most years, and play most weekends!

So in this age of magic instant communication tools to anywhere in the world, people gonna sit round a table and play swap card games and sing Abba songs, drinking Watney's Party 7 - why not go the whole hog and turn the electric off and play by candlelight for that true 1970's feel - Jeeeez..wept!

And thank you for your confession Mr Lewis, the answer to this obsession lies in getting back to work and stop using your minions to do your dirty work it's obviously sending you a bit Too.. Retro!

Last edited:
Boardgames are more popular in 2018 than they ever have been. I visit a boardgames convention most years, and play most weekends!

Hrn. Auld grump here - that Elite Meet we both were at in Glasgow seemed to me more like a board game convention than anything like I was expecting. I enjoyed meeting and chatting with you on the train back into central Glasgow, and I enjoyed having a beer and a chat with most of the chaps I met there.

I appreciate there are lots of other folks out there who love the RP board games and that it's great to cover what's happening with that side of the ED happenings, as in the above announcement.

But board games and roleplaying - just ain't for me, I'm at the low end of the nerd spectrum that I cannot but feel cringey about roleplaying and RP games.

Personally, I'd rather see livestreams of, y'know, actual news about ED; sneak peeks, what is actually being worked on right now, tours of the dev's workstations with a 2 minute "whatchadoin there?" so as not to disturb the tame developers too much. Much, much less of the 'keeping schtum about what's being worked on' and more open-ness. I don't know if I'm the only one, but these periods of Silent Running for weeks and months, followed by a big TA-DA! announcement of the next update, has been wearing thin for me over the years. Maybe Frontier should try being just a bit less tight-lipped about what's going on with the development instead - posting Focused Feedback threads just isn't doing it for me - I may be the only one though so whatever :)

Regards o7

A question for the Spidermind developers... Are there any plans for a cooperative or solo play aspect? The Thargoids would be a prime avenue for a card-driven AI against players a cooperative format.

A question for the Spidermind developers... Are there any plans for a cooperative or solo play aspect? The Thargoids would be a prime avenue for a card-driven AI against players a cooperative format.

Love this question! I personally would love a solo-play or co-op play aspect! Posted this question to their twitter account.

Last edited:
I wish we could live in a world where people would see this and either think it's neat or stay politely silent if they're not interested. Spidermind did great work on the EDRPG and I am looking forward to hearing more!

I get where you're coming from. I did mention I appreciate the fact there's lots of folks out there who love this sort of thing and that it's great that FDEV are covering it.

It's also a good opportunity to mention to the CM's what would also be nice, since it's an announcement of a livestream about something to do with ED. I could have created a new thread in the Suggestions forum of course.

I know this is going to come over very cynical and I do enjoy a game of Fluxx, and have even been known to play Pandemic.But this is normally with family at Christmas after a few scotchs.

Watching a group of grown men play top trumps when there is a whole host of things a live stream could be used for rather than what looks like another PR/Marketing ploy (no offence to the guys and girls at spidermind) is rather odd to me.

Yeah I read what I wrote and it does indeed seem rather cynical

Dips on black shadow chieftain with Palin test thargoid esp and guardian rails and g5 chill power plant roaming for baddies ;)

Called black reaper... :)

But maybe there isn't anything else to show right now? It's up to FD to decide when they are going to share some news with us about upcoming content. Would another CQC stream be that much better?

And calling it Top Trumps seems derogatory, because we already know it won't be anything like it.

Top Bottom