The Road To GCRV 6897, The previously unreachable Owl Nebula.

THE OWL NEBULA
The Road to GCRV 6897
Prepared by Commander Kelanen Alcatraz

[IMGUR]RO4zXQe[/IMGUR]
Introduction

Greetings, Commanders!

This is a theoretical route in order to reach the previously unreachable GCRV 6897 (Owl Nebula) by utilising the new Guardian Frame Shift Drive Booster.

I am Commander Kelanen Alcatraz, I want to start this thread off by asking if Commanders have any issues reply to this thread.

I really wanted to get this information out there, so if there is anything that needs amending please let me know.

This thread was compiled with the purpose of informing all commanders, whom are avid explorers as to how to reach GCRV 6897, the previously unreachable Owl Nebula by utilising the new Guardian FSD Technology.

There is also a Google Document at the bottom of this thread where this information is much more clear.

CONTENTS
[/SIZE]
Outfitting Overview
Anaconda Outfitting Guide
Anaconda Support Outfitting Guide
Diamondback Explorer Outfitting Guide

Jump Range
Minimum Jump Range
Example Jump Range
Recommended Jump Range

FSD Injections Requirements

Fast Route Injection Requirements
FSD Injections Required
Detailed Materials Breakdown
Total Materials Required

Emergency Route Injection Requirements
FSD Injections Required
Detailed Materials Breakdown
Total Materials Required

Route Information To GCRV 6897
Fast Route from IX - GCRV 6897
Emergency Route from IX - GCRV 6897
Special Information for in GCRV 6897

Route Information Returning from GCRV 6897
Fast Route from GCRV 6897 - CEOS
Emergency Route from GCRV 6897 - CEOS
Special Information for when in CEOS
ANACONDA OUTFITTING GUIDE https://s.orbis.zone/e35
I significantly recommend utilising the Anaconda, this section of this document will inform you of how to outfit one correctly.

Being able to jump 149.46Ly (74.73Ly) or higher is going to require engineering.

I will share my setup, adjust it as you will, but make sure you read through this guide first.

The outfitting should look something like this:
(Please click the image to see it)
[IMGUR]yws1rv7[/IMGUR]
Hardpoints

1D RAILGUN - Lightweight Grade 5

A Railgun is not required, however it is strongly recommended to allow for further fuel control.

Experimental Effect - Plasma Slug

This is because of the ability to dump fuel, so if you are tight on jump range and you have to conduct a jump on fumes (as fuel may be too heavy), this will allow you to reduce your weight and therefore increase the jump range.

Utility Mounts

No utility mounts are required for this trip, as such I do not recommend any.

- It is understandable if a Heat Sink Launcher is desired, although the trip is not far and jump range is priority.

Core Internals

1C LIGHTWEIGHT ALLOY - Heavy Duty Grade 5

This is a given, as this module does not have any mass, and as such is the most ideal for this internal.

Engineering Modification - Heavy Duty Grade 5
This is not required in anyway, however it is just worth mentioning as it will increase the armour of the ship without any mass increase.

2D POWERPLANT - Overcharged Grade 1/2/3

This is the lightest option available, and will be able to successfully power the essential systems, however this may be dependant on your outfitting and power priorities as the exact details of the Guardian Boosters power draw may require additional engineering modifications.

This is required to power the essential systems, in which to reach GCRV 6897, only the following needs to be online:

• 4D Thrusters
• 6A Frame Shift Drive
• 5D Life Support
• 5H Guardian FSD Booster
• Fuel Scoop (Can be turned off/on as required to use Sensors)
- Advanced Discovery Scanner & Detailed Surface Scanner are always online.

The following modules can be kept offline when travelling to GCRV 6897 / CEOS:

• 1D Power Distributor
• 8D Sensors
• Cargo Hatch
• Planetary Vehicle Hangar (If any of you are planning on bringing one and your outfitting allows you the 74.73Ly Jump Range).
• 7A Fuel Scoop / Life Support (When entering CEOS, in order to turn Sensors online).

I tend to fly with my power priorities as I have just described, for the more experienced amongst you, remember you can also cycle life support as well if you require.

Experimental Effect - Stripped Down (-10% Mass)

This is to further reduce the weight of the PowerPlant and increase jump range further.

4D / 5D THRUSTERS
4D Thrusters
- Strengthening Grade 1

In order to achieve the weight requirements to fit 4D Thrusters, note the following:

• Your Anaconda has to be outfitted with very light components, as too heavy components and your mass will exceed the maximum mass 4D Thrusters can launch with.

• You may have to potentially engineer the modules as I have described as well first.

• The 4D Thrusters must have been engineered for the experimental effect that increases OPTIMAL MASS.

- This can be done by fitment of the 4D Thrusters on a Diamondback Explorer, Engineering the 4D Thrusters for Clean/Dirty/Strengthening, take note that some may decrease optimal mass, experimental effect as listed below.

Experimental Effect - Drive Distributors (+10% Optimal Mass)

- Engineering for Drive Distributor experimental effect will mean the thrusters maximum mass they can launch with is increased.

• This trip will require the ability to execute a jump potentially without having the tank above 8T (149.46Ly), and I would advise having enough fuel to execute two optimal jumps.

Once this is done, the Thrusters should be able to be fitted onto your Anaconda, take note of the mass of your Anaconda and the maximum mass of the Thrusters.

5D Thrusters - Strengthening Grade 1

If you can jump 74.73Ly with 5D Thrusters then it is your preference if you would find it more convenient to outfit 5D Thrusters as opposed to 4D Thrusters.

- Engineering for Drive Distributor experimental effect will mean the thrusters maximum mass they can launch with is increased, if utilising 5D Thrusters this is not required and as such I advise Stripped Down for 5D.

6A FRAME SHIFT DRIVE - Increased Range Grade 5

This is an absolute must to achieve the required 74.73Ly (149.46Ly) Jump Range required.

Experimental Effect - Mass Manager

I have multiple 6A FSDs and have experimented with each experimental effect on the Anaconda, even with as minimum mass as possible to the Anaconda.

5D LIFE SUPPORT - Lightweight Grade 4

This is the lightest option possible for the Anaconda's life support, in order to maximise jump range.
For those which plan to use 5A/B/C Life Support and 4D Thrusters, take note that there isn't a lot of mass you can play with before your thrusters won't launch.

1D POWER DISTRIBUTOR - Charge Enhanced Grade 1

As this trip is short and we want to maximise jump range, boosting is not required - I never fly with boost in my Anaconda, and do not think this is required at all.

If you plan on landing on a planet, use a very light descent and take note of your acceleration at straight and level flight (0° Pitch) and increase pitch accordingly.

This engineering modification is just so that the stripped down experimental effect can be applied.

The other options are not usable, as even with a higher capacity experimental effect, boosting still will not be possible due to the fitment of a 1D Power Distributor.

Stripped Down means lighter module, higher jump range.

8D SENSORS - Lightweight Grade 5

Sensors are not required to even be online for this trip unless docking, and as such can be kept offline until then.

This means that they can be the lightest option possible, as high grade sensors are not required.

4C INTERNAL FUEL TANK
This is to give a maximum fuel tank capacity of 16T, this I recommend most as:
There is a jump which will require execution of the jump on 'Fumes’ (149.46Ly), as such I recommend following my instructions here:

SPHUEDU UN-T D3-0 -> 63.14Ly Jump -> SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0

You do not want to fuel scoop at SPHUEDU UN-T D3-0.

The jump into SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0 uses No Boost and will reduce your fuel.

SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0 -> 100.23Ly Jump -> HD 238061

You do not want to fuel scoop at SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0.

This jump into HD 238061 uses a Grade 2 Boost, and will reduce your fuel.

HD 238061 -> 115Ly Jump -> HD 107322

You do not want to fuel scoop at HD 238061.

This jump into HD 107322 uses a Grade 3 Boost, and will reduce your fuel.

HD 107322 -> 149.3Ly Jump -> HD 105057

You will want to fuel scoop at HD 107322 slowly.

This jump into HD 107322 used enough fuel now that your total fuel is BELOW 8T.

This is so that you can fuel scoop slowly to approximately 8T - 8.5T of Fuel Capacity and then stop fuel scooping.
This is to get the jump range required so that you can execute the 149.46Ly jump.

(I have annotated this on the routes so you know when it is advised not to Fuel Scoop)

OPTIONAL INTERNALS

7A - 4C - 1E FUEL SCOOP
- No Engineering

This is really dependant on your budget, however in this instance you may want to actually consider a lower class Fuel Scoop - Hear me out:

- If you make a jump, and then need to conduct a jump on fumes, but you're below your optimal jump fuel requirement (8T), you may only want to fuel scoop slightly and slowly so you don't instantly refill and then you can't make the next jump.

- When Fuel Scooping, keep an eye on your jump range as you're scooping and turn your fuel scoop off/on as you require.

I wouldn't advise a 1E, as it will take a significantly long time to fuel scoop, as such a 4C would be more adequate and potentially a better choice then a rapid-scooping 7A.

I also do not advise Shielded or any engineering as it can increase power draw, and with already having a 2D PowerPlant it's critical that power draw is kept to a minimum.

5H GUARDIAN FSD BOOSTER

This module will increase your jump range, although stated as +10.5Ly it may not be a solid increase, just because your jump range was 70Ly does not mean it will be 80.5Ly.

The 5H Guardian FSD Booster weighs 1.3T, so just be aware of that!

DETAILED SURFACE SCANNER - No Engineering

This is optional, you do not require one but I very much recommend one as it's quite a unique trip.

I've never engineered the Detailed Surface Scanner due to the weight increase, although I understand if you utilise an engineering modification, just take note if utilising 4D Thrusters of the mass requirement.

ADVANCED DISCOVERY SCANNER

This should be an obvious option to bring, however I know that there are Commanders that believe the ADS is too heavy, but I highly recommend it as without it you will not be able to identify any astronomical bodies in GCRV 6897 or along the way.

This concludes my outfitting guide for the Anaconda, if there are any questions / tips / advice other Commanders have, let me know.

ANACONDA SUPPORT OUTFITTING
This section is directed towards those Commanders that have outfitted correctly to achieve above The Recommended Jump Range.

This information is more pertinent to expeditionaries or wings conducting a trip to GCRV 6897 where there are Commanders on the expedition / in wing that fall into any of these categories:

• Diamondback Explorer's with jump ranges around
74.73Ly.

• Anaconda's with jump ranges around 74.73Ly.

• Limited fuel capacitance jumping into GCRV 6897.

These Commanders will be able to execute a jump into GCRV 6897, however it is unlikely these Commanders will be able to jump back out.

For more information on this, please refer to:

Anaconda - Core Internal - 4C Fuel Tank

Diamondback Explorer - Core Internal - 3C Fuel Tank

For the reason listed above, I recommend there are Commanders which are also expeditionaries or in-wing with these Commanders that have an Anaconda that has a Maximum Jump Range of 78.50Ly.

This is to be able to comfortably execute the jump and carry a 1D Fuel Transfer Limpet Controller and a 2E Cargo Rack to be able to synthesis Limpets to transfer fuel.

The following is a build with the minimum requirements to support other Commanders with fuel:
[IMGUR]tw8URQr[/IMGUR]
ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL INTERNALS

1D Fuel Transfer Limpet Controller
- G5 Lightweight

This will allow for other Commanders to be able to be refuelled in GCRV 6897, take note that the required fuel to jump back out will range from:

5T for Diamondback Explorers

8T for Anacondas

This means that a fast fuel transfer limpet is not required.
Grade 5 Lightweight Engineering Modification is to reduce weight, therefore increase Jump Range.

2E Cargo Rack

This is so that Limpets can be synthesized 4T at a time.

Limpet Synthesis

The required materials for synthesizing four limpets at a time is listed as:

Iron: 10
Nickel: 10

The following is my last recommendations for a maximum support outfit:

Additional Fuel Tanks can be fitted.
- Note that the maximum mass of the Anaconda with 4D Thrusters is limited to 520T.

Increase Jump Range as much as you possibly can.
- If you are planning on refuelling other Commanders in
GCRV 6897, this means less fuel is taken by the FSD
upon jumping into GCRV 6897.

Remember - In-Flight Fuel!
- Just because you may only need 6T to jump back out,
doesn't mean transfer all your fuel par 6T.

DIAMONDBACK EXPLORER OUTFITTING - https://s.orbis.zone/e38
I significantly recommend utilising the Anaconda, however this section of this document will inform you of how to outfit a Diamondback Explorer correctly.

Being able to jump 149.46Ly (74.73Ly) or higher is going to require serious engineering for the Diamondback Explorer.

I will share my advised setup, adjust it as you will, but make sure you read through this guide first.
The outfitting should look something like this:
[IMGUR]Y7DD9sr[/IMGUR]
Hardpoints

1D RAILGUN - Lightweight Grade 5

A Railgun is not required, however it is strongly recommended to allow for further fuel control.

Experimental Effect - Plasma Slug

This is because of the ability to dump fuel, so if you are tight on jump range and you have to conduct a jump on fumes (as fuel may be too heavy), this will allow you to reduce your weight and therefore increase the jump range.

Utility Mounts

- It is understandable if a Heat Sink Launcher is desired, although the trip is not far and jump range is priority, especially with the Diamondback Explorer.

Core Internals

This is a given, as this module does not have any mass, and as such is the most ideal for this internal.

Engineering Modification - Heavy Duty Grade 5

This is not required in anyway, however it is just worth mentioning as it will increase the armour of the ship without any mass increase.

2D POWERPLANT - Overcharged Grade 1

This is the lightest option available, and will be able to successfully power the essential systems.

I do not advise Low Emissions for the Diamondback Explorer due to the slight mass increase, however there is spare power with this build if you prefer.

This is required to power the essential systems, in which to reach GCRV 6897, only the following needs to be online:

• 4D Thrusters
• 5A Frame Shift Drive
• 3D Life Support
• 4H Guardian FSD Booster
• 3A Fuel Scoop (Can be turned off/on as required to use Sensors)

• 1D Power Distributor
• 3D Sensors
• Cargo Hatch
• 3A Fuel Scoop / Life Support (When entering CEOS, in order to turn Sensors online).
• Autofield Maintenance Unit (Only needs to be online as required to use)

I tend to fly with my power priorities as I have just described, for the more experienced amongst you, remember you can also cycle life support as well if you require.

This is to further reduce the weight of the PowerPlant and increase jump range further.

4D THRUSTERS - Strengthening Grade 1

This is the lightest thruster option possible for the Diamondback Explorer, and there is no requirement to go any higher grades for this expedition.

- Engineering for Stripped Down experimental effect will mean the thrusters mass is reduced further and unlike the Anaconda, 4D Thrusters can be utilised without using drive distributors and as such I advise Stripped Down for 4D Thrusters.

5A FRAME SHIFT DRIVE - Increased Range Grade 5

This is an absolute must to achieve the required 74.73Ly (149.46Ly) Jump Range required.

I have multiple 5A FSDs and have experimented with each experimental effect on the Anaconda, even with as minimum mass as possible to the Diamondback Explorer, and Mass Manager is still the preference for my outfitting here.

3D LIFE SUPPORT - Lightweight Grade 4

This is the lightest option possible for the Diamondback Explorer's life support, in order to maximise jump range.

As this trip is short and we want to maximise jump range, boosting is not required - I never fly with boost in my Anaconda, and do not think this is required at all.

If you plan on landing on a planet, use a very light descent and take note of your acceleration at straight and level flight (0° Pitch) and increase pitch accordingly.

This engineering modification is just so that the stripped down experimental effect can be applied.

However, for those which are serious about being able to boost and really want to be able to, this is the required modification:

Alternative Engineering Modification - Engine Focused Grade 5

This is so that the engine capacitance can be increased as high as possible to get to boost-level engine capacity, you should now be able to boost and as such I advise the same experimental effect.

3D SENSORS - Lightweight Grade 5

Sensors are not required to even be online for this trip unless docking, and as such can be kept offline until then.

This means that they can be the lightest option possible, as high grade sensors are not required.

3C INTERNAL FUEL TANK

This is to give a maximum fuel tank capacity of 10T (with the addition of a 1C Fuel Tank in Optional Internals), this I recommend most as:

- There is a jump which will require execution of the jump on 'Fumes’ (149.46Ly), as such I recommend following my instructions here:

SPHUEDU UN-T D3-0 -> 63.14Ly Jump -> SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0

You do not want to fuel scoop at SPHUEDU UN-T D3-0.

The jump into SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0 uses No Boost and will reduce your fuel.

SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0 -> 100.23Ly Jump -> HD 238061

You do not want to fuel scoop at SPHUEDU TN-T D3-0.

This jump into HD 238061 uses a Grade 2 Boost, and will reduce your fuel.

You do not want to fuel scoop at HD 238061.

This jump into HD 107322 uses a Grade 3 Boost, and will reduce your fuel.

You will want to fuel scoop at HD 107322 slowly.

This jump into HD 107322 used enough fuel now that your total fuel is BELOW 5T.

This is so that you can fuel scoop slowly to approximately 5T - 6.5T of Fuel Capacity and then stop fuel scooping.

This is to get the jump range required so that you can execute the 149.46Ly jump.

(I have annotated this on the routes so you know when it is advised not to Fuel Scoop)

OPTIONAL INTERNALS

3A - 1E FUEL SCOOP
- No Engineering

This is really dependant on your budget, however in this instance you want to actually consider a lower class Fuel Scoop - Hear me out:

Scenario:

If you need to conduct a jump on fumes, but you're below your optimal jump fuel requirement (5T Hard Limit without Deep Charge).

You will want to fuel scoop slightly and slowly so you don't instantly refill and then you can't make the next jump because you have too much fuel, and therefore too much weight.

When Fuel Scooping, keep an eye on your jump range as you're scooping and turn your fuel scoop off/on as you require.

This is especially apparent with the 149.46Ly Jump, where a Diamondback Explorer can only make the jump with only 5T - 6.5T in the fuel tank.

I wouldn't advise a 1E, as it will take a significantly long time to fuel scoop, as such a 3A would be more adequate and a better choice then a rapid-scooping 4A.

I also do not advise Shielded or any engineering as it can increase power draw, and with already having a 2D PowerPlant it's critical that power draw is kept to a minimum.

Refer to my Diamondback Explorer Outfitting - Core Internal - 3C Internal Fuel Tank and Diamondback Explorer Outfitting - Hardpoints - 1D Railgun section for more information on this.

4H GUARDIAN FSD BOOSTER

This module will increase your jump range, although stated as +9Ly it may not be a solid increase, just because your jump range was 65.76Ly does not mean it will be 74.73Ly.

The 4H Guardian FSD Booster weighs 1.3T, so just be aware of that!

1C FUEL TANK

This is advised with the 3C Fuel Tank in order to get a total fuel tank capacity of 10T.

Refer to my Internal Fuel Tank section for more information on this.

This is optional, you do not require one but I very much recommend one as it's quite a unique trip.

I've never engineered the Detailed Surface Scanner due to the weight increase, although I understand if you utilise an engineering modification, just take note of the mass requirement.

ADVANCED DISCOVERY SCANNER

This should be an obvious option to bring, however I know that there are Commanders that believe the ADS is too heavy, but I highly recommend it as without it you will not be able to identify any astronomical bodies in GCRV 6897 or along the way.

This concludes my outfitting guide for the Diamondback Explorer, if there are any questions / tips / advice other Commanders have, let me know.

MINIMUM JUMP RANGE - 74.73LY
In order to make the longest jump - 149.46Ly with a Grade 3 Boost, 74.73Ly is required to reach GCRV 6897 One-Way / With extreme difficulty.

You MUST be able to jump this, so aim to have your maximum above this, I highly recommend as a minimum 77.50Ly.

Even with a maximum jump range of 74.73Ly, even jumping with the optimal fuel amount only, you may still fall slightly short on your optimum jump distance.

- For instance, when I outfit my Anaconda (Without Guardian FSD Boosters) with just 8T Fuel Tank, no optionals, hardpoints or utilities, my maximum jump range is 73.75Ly, but I can only jump 73.69Ly leaving a 0.06Ly discrepancy I can't remove.

EXAMPLE JUMP RANGE
This is an example jump range, to demonstrate how a 149.46Ly jump range can be achieved:

No Boost(s) / Standard Jump Range:
71.14 (74.73)
__
Boost Ranges:

Grade 1:
88.92 (93.41)

Grade 2:
106.63 (112.1)

Grade 3:
142.28 (149.46Ly)

Please check your own statistics in-game, as these are presumptive.

Before the Guardian FSD Boosters, I could execute a jump of 73.69Ly (147.38Ly), and fell short, there is no other way around this.

You MUST be able to execute a jump of 74.73Ly (149.46Ly) for a one-way trip / extreme difficulty.

RECOMMENDED JUMP RANGE - 77.50LY
The reason I recommend above 74.73Ly is most notably because of this factor:

The last jump into GCRV 6897 may require 7-7.5T of fuel (146.50Ly Jump) AND be a jump on fumes / Less than 16T of fuel - meaning that you may not have enough fuel to jump back out, or an extremely narrow margin of fuel capacitance to get right.

This, combined with GCRV 6897 being Star Class W and therefore not scoopable, would mean jumping into GCRV 6897 on fumes AND jumping back out on fumes.

- For instance, if the Jump requires 5T of fuel less then the maximum 16T to reduce the weight enough to get the range to be 146.50Ly to conduct the jump, and takes 7T of fuel to execute the jump, this leaves you with 12T gone from when you are in GCRV 6897.

This means there is only 4T left in your fuel tank at a non-scoopable star - Without the 8T required to jump back out.

As a result, if you want to conduct a return trip and not just get to GCRV 6897 one-way, I strongly recommend having a jump range close to 77.50Ly.

Any questions at all with this, refer to the Thread or to the contact details I'll leave on the last page.

FSD INJECTIONS REQUIRED
[FAST ROUTE]
However, this many boosts is required in order to reach GCRV 6897, as well as to return from GCRV 6897:

Grade 1 Boosts Required: 0.

Grade 2 Boosts Required: 4.

Grade 3 Boosts Required: 12.
FSD INJECTION MATERIALS BREAKDOWN
[FAST ROUTE]
Grade 1 (+25%): 0 Injections Required
Carbon: 1 Required Total: 0
Vanadium: 1 Required Total: 0
Germanium: 1 Required Total: 0
__
Grade 2 (+50%): 4 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 4
Vanadium: 1 Required Total: 4
Germanium: 1 Required Total: 4
Cadmium: 1 Required Total: 4
Niobium: 1 Required Total: 4
__
Grade 3 (+100%): 12 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 12
Germanium: 1 Required Total: 12
Arsenic: 1 Required Total: 12
Niobium: 1 Required Total: 12
Yttrium: 1 Required Total: 12
Polonium: 1 Required Total: 12
FSD INJECTIONS TOTAL MATERIALS REQUIRED
[FAST ROUTE]
Total Materials Required in order to use the minimum amount of FSD Injections required in order to follow the Fast Routes to GCRV 6897 and return to CEOS:

Carbon: 16
Vanadium: 4
Germanium: 16
Cadmium: 4
Niobium: 16
Arsenic: 12
Yttrium: 12
Polonium: 12
FSD INJECTIONS REQUIRED
[EMERGENCY ROUTE]

These are the FSD Injections required in order to reach GCRV 6897, as well as to return from GCRV 6897:

Grade 1 Boosts Required: 4.
Grade 3 Boosts Required: 8.
FSD INJECTION MATERIALS BREAKDOWN
[EMERGENCY ROUTE]
Grade 1 (+25%): 4 Injections Required
__

__
Grade 3 (+100%): 8 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 8
Germanium: 1 Required Total: 8
Arsenic: 1 Required Total: 8
Niobium: 1 Required Total: 8
Yttrium: 1 Required Total: 8
Polonium: 1 Required Total: 8
FSD INJECTIONS TOTAL MATERIALS REQUIRED
[EMERGENCY ROUTE]
Total Materials Required in order to use the minimum amount of FSD Injections required in order to follow the Emergency Routes to GCRV 6897 and return to CEOS:

Vanadium: 8
Niobium: 12
Arsenic: 8
Yttrium: 8
Polonium: 8
FAST ROUTE TO GCRV 6897
[IMGUR]rmBIkqP[/IMGUR]
EMERGENCY ROUTE TO GCRV 6897
[IMGUR]44ZyRq4[/IMGUR]
SPECIAL INFORMATION IN GCRV 6897
Congratulations, you made it - That’s awesome! It really is, from what was originally unreachable is now reachable, but there’s a few things important in this system that need to be considered:

It potentially took almost completely half a tank by my estimates if your jump range is close to the minimum, potentially if lower then my recommendation of 77.50Ly, you may not have enough fuel to jump back out.

On top of this, even if you acknowledged and calculated the fuel capacitance so you have enough to jump back out - Remember, in-flight fuel may cause you to be unable to jump back, so it’s important you have a high jump range.

Here's a list of things to do whilst in GCRV 6897:

• Scan the system with the Advanced Discovery Scanner.

• Check the system map for the star / any planetary bodies.

• Scan the main star and any other planetary bodies you wish to scan.

• Check your fuel capacitance, turn off your Fuel Scoop to reduce power draw and therefore fuel usage.

Enjoy the view of the Owl Nebula!

RETURN ROUTE TO CEOS
[IMGUR]1sUmM0M[/IMGUR]
EMERGENCY ROUTE TO CEOS
[IMGUR]dDVrEdf[/IMGUR]
SPECIAL INFORMATION IN CEOS
The final thing I would advise is for the Universal Cartographics to be sold at CEOS.

Thanks for completing this trip, it took a significant amount of planning to formulate this, please be understanding if some of these statistics are slightly inaccurate.

The routes were also calculated using a 3D Distance Calculator, so there may be very slight discrepancies.

I wanted to share all this information as best I can so that I can give back to the community that gave me amazing support recently with losing my Dad (Commander Brutal Deluxe).

I'm planning on holding a memorial service when I'm back from overseas, Frontier are being really supportive and putting a memorial in-game, anyone interested please join the Discord Group below.

I'd like to say that although I can't currently complete this trip patiently, I hope you Commanders can.
If any issues / queries, contact me on:

Discord (A Fallen Commander Expedition) is now closed.

Frontier Forums:
Kelanen Alcatraz

In-Game: Kelanen Alcatraz

Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IGIq1ELElVEtr3ibgtcav5bTjgC0dD3zNgrzsXA5V2I/edit?usp=drivesdk

-- Commander Kelanen Alcatraz

Last edited:
The Road To GCRV 6897 (Owl Nebula) utilising the new Guardian FSD Boosters.

Update: Anyone interested in doing this but wants to as a wing, I am going to organise an expedition, invite link: https://discord.gg/tZ3xdkx

Introduction

Greetings, Commanders!

I am Commander Kelanen Alcatraz, I want to start this thread off by saying thank you to this community.

This community helped make The Fallen Commander expedition happen, and when Frontier have implemented the memorial in-game, there will be a planned memorial day if anyone wants to come, I'd really appreciate it.

Please bare with me, I'm currently overseas and this thread (Including the 25 Page Google Document) was all typed, compiled and completed almost completely on my phone.

I really wanted to get this information out there, so if there is anything that needs amending please let me know by looking at the contact details at the bottom of this thread.

This thread was compiled with the purpose of informing all commanders, whom are avid explorers as to how to reach GCRV 6897, the previously unreachable Owl Nebula by utilising the new Guardian FSD Technology.

Requirements

There is specific requirements, that I will list:

1) Jump Range capable of executing a 149.3Ly Grade 3 Boosted Jump (74.65Ly) - Refer to the Jump Range Section of this Thread.

2) The Guardian FSD Booster must have been unlocked, with the purpose of fitting a 5H Guardian FSD Booster for the build I am sharing.

3) Enough material synthesis MINIMUM to complete a round-trip, both with an emergency and a fast route will be included in this thread.

The material requirements as well I have compiled into the Google Document supplied, however for those that cannot access it, the materials and injections you require will be listed in the FSD Injections section of this thread.

4) Read through the Google Document I have provided or this thread, as it includes all the information you should require.

Detailed Breakdown

I am going to break this down into sections in order to provide as much information as I can, if there are any questions, send me a message here or on Discord (Alky#6460).

I will break this down as follows:

• My Outfitting Guide.

• Jump Range.

• FSD Injections, Materials & Totals Breakdown.

• Route from IX - GCRV 6897.

• Emergency Route from IX - GCRV 6897.

• Special Information when in GCRV 6897.

• Route from GCRV 6897 - CEOS.

• Emergency Route from GCRV 6897 - CEOS.

• Special Information when in CEOS.

• Final Words.

Additionally, all this information will be located in The Google Document provided.

My Outfitting Guide

I significantly recommend utilising the Anaconda, I have not looked into depth at other ships potential due to the Boosters only just becoming available, and being away from home overseas and wanting to get this information out as quickly as possible.

My numerical values may be incorrect or far off, however one thing I am ascertain is that being able to jump 149.3Ly (74.65Ly) or higher is going to require engineering.

I will share my setup, adjust it as you will, but make sure you read through this guide first.

Hardpoints

No hardpoints are required for this trip, as such I do not recommend any.

Utility Mounts

- It is understandable if a Heat Sink Launcher is desired, although the trip is not far and jump range is priority.

Core Internals

Engineering Modification - Heavy Duty Grade 5.

2D POWERPLANT - Overcharged Grade 1/2/3
This is the lightest option available, and will be able to successfully power the essential systems, however this may be dependant on your outfitting and power priorities as the exact details of the Guardian Boosters power draw may require additional engineering modifications.

Engineering Modification - Grade 1/2/3 Overcharged.
• 4D Thrusters
• 6A Frame Shift Drive
• 5D Life Support
• 5H Guardian FSD Booster
• Fuel Scoop (Can be turned off/on as required to use Sensors)

• 1D Power Distributor
• 8D Sensors
• Cargo Hatch
• Planetary Vehicle Hangar (If any of you are planning on bringing one and your outfitting allows you the 74.65Ly Jump Range).
• 7A Fuel Scoop / Life Support (When entering CEOS, in order to turn Sensors online).

4D / 5D THRUSTERS

4D Thrusters - Strengthening Grade 1

In order to achieve the weight requirements to fit 4D Thrusters, the following must be noted:

• Your Anaconda has to be outfitted with very light components, as too heavy components and your mass will exceed the maximum mass 4D Thrusters can launch with.

• You may have to potentially engineer the modules as I have described as well.

• The 4D Thrusters must have been engineered for the experimental effect that increases OPTIMAL MASS.

- This can be done by fitment of the 4D Thrusters on a Diamondback Explorer, Engineering the 4D Thrusters for Clean/Dirty/Strengthening, take note that some may decrease optimal mass, experimental effect as listed below.

Experimental Effect - Drive Distributors (+10% Optimal Mass)

- Engineering for Drive Distributor experimental effect will mean the thrusters maximum mass they can launch with is increased.

• This trip will require the ability to execute a jump potentially without having the tank above 10T (149.3Ly), and I would advise having enough fuel to execute two optimal jumps.

- If 5H Guardian FSD Booster takes an additional -25% Fuel Efficiency, this may mean that 10T is required for optimal jump distance. (Refer to Fuel Tank outfitting for more information)

Once this is done, the Thrusters should be able to be fitted onto your Anaconda, take note of the mass of your Anaconda and the maximum mass of the Thrusters.

5D Thrusters - Strengthening Grade 1

If you can jump 74.65Ly with 5D Thrusters then it is your preference if you would find it more convenient to outfit 5D Thrusters as opposed to 4D Thrusters.

- Engineering for Drive Distributor experimental effect will mean the thrusters maximum mass they can launch with is increased, if utilising 5D Thrusters this is not required and as such I advise Stripped Down for 5D.

6A FRAME SHIFT DRIVE - Increased Range Grade 5

This is an absolute must to achieve the required 74.65Ly (149.3Ly) Jump Range required.

I have multiple 6A FSDs and have experimented with each experimental effect on the Anaconda, even with as minimum mass as possible to the Anaconda.

Deep Charge is NOT the best option, and as such I can only recommend Mass Manager.

5D LIFE SUPPORT - Lightweight Grade 4

This is the lightest option possible for the Anaconda's life support, in order to maximise jump range.

For those which plan to use 5A/B/C Life Support and 4D Thrusters, take note that there isn't a lot of mass you can play with before your thrusters won't launch.

The other options are not usable, as even with a higher capacity experimental effect, boosting still will not be possible due to the fitment of a 1D Power Distributor.

8D SENSORS - Lightweight Grade 5

4C INTERNAL FUEL TANK

This is to give a maximum fuel tank capacity of 20T, this I recommend most as:

- The Guardian FSD Booster 5H uses 25% more fuel per jump, resulting factor being 10T of fuel is taken as opposed to the 8T per optimal jump.

- This resulting factor means the required fuel to execute two optimal jumps being 20T, as such, I recommend outfitting a 2C Fuel Tank in the Optional Internals as well.

- There is a jump which will require execution of the jump slightly on 'Fumes' (Potentially), as such for this jump:

You may NOT want to scoop at HD 107322, as this is hoping the jump into HD 107322 used enough fuel so that your mass is reduced enough to jump 149.3Ly for the next jump, and you still have enough optimal fuel (At least 10T) in order to execute this jump:

I have annotated this on the routes so you know when it is advised not to Fuel Scoop.

OPTIONAL INTERNALS

7A - 4C - 1E FUEL SCOOP - No Engineering

This is really dependant on your budget, however in this instance you may want to actually consider a lower class Fuel Scoop - Hear me out:

- If you make a jump, and then need to conduct a jump on fumes, but you're below your optimal jump fuel requirement (8T Hard Limit without Guardian FSD Booster), you may only want to fuel scoop slightly and slowly so you don't instantly refill and then you can't make the next jump.

- When Fuel Scooping, keep an eye on your jump range as you're scooping and turn your fuel scoop off/on as you require.

I wouldn't advise a 1E, as it will take a significantly long time to fuel scoop, as such a 4C would be more adequate and potentially a better choice then a rapid-scooping 7A.

5H GUARDIAN FSD BOOSTER

This module will increase your jump range, although stated as +10Ly it may not be a solid increase, just because your jump range was 70Ly does not mean it will be 80Ly.

The 5H Guardian FSD Booster weighs 1.3T, so just be aware of that!

Refer to Fuel Tank fitment of my outfitting guide, as it covers the -25% Fuel Efficiency and how the Anaconda requires different optimal fuel tank capacity.

2C FUEL TANK

This is advised with the 4C Fuel Tank in order to get a total fuel tank capacity of 20T.

Refer to my Internal Fuel Tank section for more information on this.

I've never engineered the Detailed Surface Scanner due to the weight increase, although I understand if you utilise an engineering modification, just take note if utilising 4D Thrusters of the mass requirement.

Advanced Discovery Scanner

This concludes my outfitting guide, if there are any questions / tips / advice other Commanders have, let me know. I will leave contact information at the bottom of this thread.

Jump Range

This is highly presumptive, as the exact details of the Guardian FSD Booster are not known (I am currently away from home) but this is my best guess:

UPDATE - CAN CONFIRM THESE JUMP RANGES LISTED WORK - my Anaconda managed to get first discovery utilising 81.43Ly (83.32Ly) jump range, with a Grade 3 boosted range of 163Ly (166.64Ly) - THIS HIGH JUMP RANGE IS NOT REQUIRED, SEE BELOW.

Minimum Jump Range - 74.65Ly

In order to make the longest jump - 149.3Ly with a Grade 3 Boost, 74.65Ly is required to reach GCRV 6897 One-Way / With extreme difficulty.

You MUST be able to jump this, so aim to have your maximum above this, I highly recommend as a minimum 77.50Ly.

Even with a maximum jump range of 74.65Ly, even jumping with the optimal fuel amount only, you may still fall slightly short on your optimum jump distance.

- For instance, when I outfit my Anaconda (Without Guardian FSD Boosters) with just 8T Fuel Tank, no optionals, hardpoints or utilities, my maximum jump range is 73.75Ly, but I can only jump 73.69Ly leaving a 0.06Ly discrepancy I can't remove.

This is an example jump range, to demonstrate how a 149.3Ly jump range can be achieved:

Jumping with 20T Fuel - 00.00

Junping on Fumes - (00.00)

______
No Boost(s) / Standard Jump Range:

71.06 (74.65)
______

Grade 1 Boost:

88.82 (93.31)
______

Grade 2 Boost:

106.59 (111.97)
______

Grade 3 Boost:

142.12 (149.3Ly)
______

Please check your own statistics in-game, as these are presumptive and as I am away from home, I can't fully confirm these figures.

Before the Guardian FSD Boosters, I could execute a jump of 73.69Ly (147.38Ly), and fell 0.96Ly (1.92Ly) short, there is no other way around this.

You MUST be able to execute a jump of 74.65Ly (149.3Ly) for a one-way trip / extreme difficulty.

Recommended Jump Range - 77.50Ly

The reason I recommend above 74.65Ly is most notably because of this factor:

The last jump into GCRV 6897 may require 8-9T on fuel (146.50Ly Jump) AND be a jump on fumes / Less than 20T of fuel - meaning that you may not have enough fuel to jump back out, or an extremely narrow margin of fuel capacitance to get right.

This, combined with GCRV 6897 being Star Class W and therefore not scoopable, would mean jumping into GCRV 6897 on fumes AND jumping back out on fumes.

- For instance, if the Jump requires 5T of fuel less then the maximum 20T to reduce the weight enough to get the range to be 146.50Ly to conduct the jump, and takes 9T of fuel to execute the jump, this leaves you with 14T gone from when you are in GCRV 6897.

This means there is only 6T left in your fuel tank at a non-scoopable star - Without the 9T required to jump back out.

- As a result, if you want to conduct a return trip and not just get to GCRV 6897 one-way, I strongly recommend having a jump range close to 77.5Ly.

Any questions at all with this, refer to the Google Document or to the contact details I'll leave below.

FSD Injections, Materials & Totals Breakdown

I have worked out the potential FSD Injections required, as well as what I recommend, this section is broken down between Emergency Routes & Fast Routes.

Engineering FSD Injections:
Emergency Routes

These are the FSD Injections required (Following the Emergency Routes) in order to reach GCRV 6897, as well as to return from GCRV 6897:

Grade 1 Boosts Required: 4.

Grade 3 Boosts Required: 8.

Engineering FSD Injections Materials Breakdown
Following Emergency Routes:

Grade 1 (+25%): 4 Injections Required

Grade 3 (+100%): 8 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 8

Germanium: 1 Required Total: 8

Arsenic: 1 Required Total: 8

Niobium: 1 Required Total: 8

Yttrium: 1 Required Total: 8

Polonium: 1 Required Total: 8

Engineering FSD Injections Materials Total
Following Emergency Routes:

Total Materials Required in order to use the minimum amount of FSD Injections required in order to follow the Emergency Routes to GCRV 6897 and return to CEOS:

Vanadium: 8

Niobium: 12

Arsenic: 8

Yttrium: 8

Polonium: 8

However, this many boosts is required (Following the Fast Routes) in order to reach GCRV 6897, as well as to return from GCRV 6897.

Grade 1 Boosts Required: 0.

Grade 2 Boosts Required: 2.

Grade 3 Boosts Required: 12

Engineering FSD Injections Materials Breakdown
Following Fast Routes:

Grade 1 (+25%): 0 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 0

Vanadium: 1 Required Total: 0

Germanium: 1 Required Total: 0

Grade 2 (+50%): 2 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 2

Vanadium: 1 Required Total: 2

Germanium: 1 Required Total: 2

Cadmium: 1 Required Total: 2

Niobium: 1 Required Total: 2

Grade 3 (+100%): 12 Injections Required

Carbon: 1 Required Total: 12

Germanium: 1 Required Total: 12

Arsenic: 1 Required Total: 12

Niobium: 1 Required Total: 12

Yttrium: 1 Required Total: 12

Polonium: 1 Required Total: 12

Engineering FSD Injections Materials Total
Following Fast Routes:

Total Materials Required in order to use the minimum amount of FSD Injections required in order to follow the Fast Routes to GCRV 6897 and return to CEOS:

Carbon: 14

Vanadium: 2

Germanium: 14

Cadmium: 2

Niobium: 14

Arsenic: 12

Yttrium: 12

Polonium: 12

Route from IX - GCRV 6897

These two routes are formatted and easier to display in the Google Document provided, however I will also provide images of the tables here:

Fast Route Travelling to GCRV 6897

Emergency Route Travelling to GCRV 6897

Special Information when in GCRV 6897

Congratulations, you made it - That’s awesome! It really is, from what was originally unreachable is now reachable, but there’s a few things important in this system that need to be considered:

It potentially took almost completely half a tank by my estimates if your jump range is close to the minimum, potentially if lower then my recommendation of 77.50Ly, you may not have enough fuel to jump back out.

On top of this, even if you acknowledged and calculated the fuel capacitance so you have enough to jump back out - Remember, in-flight fuel may cause you to be unable to jump back, so it’s important you have a high jump range.

Here's a list of things to do whilst in GCRV 6897:

• Scan the system with the Advanced Discovery Scanner.

• Check the system map for the star / any planetary bodies.

• Scan the main star and any other planetary bodies you wish to scan.

• Check your fuel capacitance, turn off your Fuel Scoop to reduce power draw and therefore fuel usage.

• Enjoy the view of the Owl Nebula!

Route from GCRV 6897 - CEOS

These two routes are formatted and easier to display in the Google Document provided, however I will also provide images of the tables here:

Fast Route Travelling to CEOS

Emergency Route Travelling to CEOS

Special Information when in CEOS

The final thing I would advise is for the Universal Cartographics to be sold at CEOS.

Thanks for completing this trip, it took a significant amount of planning to formulate this, please be understanding if some of these statistics are slightly inaccurate, I formulated this whole thread on my phone whilst being overseas.

The routes were also calculated using a 3D Distance Calculator, so there may be slight discrepancies.

Final Words

I wanted to share all this information as best I can so that I can give back to the community and to The Sovereignty that gave me amazing support recently with losing my Dad (Commander Brutal Deluxe).

I'm planning on holding a memorial service when I'm back from overseas and have more time at my disposal, Frontier are being really supportive and putting a memorial in-game, anyone interested please join the Discord Group below.

I'd like to say that although I can't currently complete this trip patiently, I hope you Commanders can!

If any issues / queries, contact me on:

Discord: Alky#6460

Discord (Fallen Commander Expedition): https://discord.gg/tZ3xdkx

Frontier Forums: Kelanen Alcatraz

In-Game: Kelanen Alcatraz

Twitter: @KAlkytraz

YouTube: Alkytraz

Google Document File: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lXet4CzymyH5D1NikMm7P_o48s-g2FwhZYcLs0d-Q3s/edit?usp=drivesdk

Excellent post, I did attempt to visit the Owl Nebula a while back but my measly 53 Ly JR didn't cut it. I thought this was impossible but now I know it can be done :) though I'm still finishing the DECE then I'll give it a shot.

nySWiTV_d.jpg

I can confirm it is reachable.

It's always impressive to see how clever people are getting at milking out every fraction of jumping power possible and it's this knowledge that has me incorporating this into my combat builds...but I could never go the "dedicated jumper."

I mean, so you have a ship that can reach these couple places, but you've got no SRV, no defense/ runaway abilities...to me 98% of the galaxy is accessible to most stock ships. My ideal exploration ship would be something of a long range fighter, but not 100% combat engineered: No bulkheads, no overcharge mods...just decent shields engineered for low power/ mass, no shield boosters, fully armed, but with efficient weapon mods, clean drive, an SRV, a class down on the distributor with fast charge mod, a class down on the plant with stripped down mod and your usual advanced planetary scan suites. This way I encounter the unexpected I have options. And because true exploring is practically done system-by-system. If you're jumping 75ly to the next you've just missed nearly half as many systems. Now if you're building a cargo runner for use between the bubble and Colonia, then, yes...you need a fast puddle jumper. There's just something assuring about the peace of mind of a fully armed vessel.

Cheers, Commander.

It's more than likely I'll never reach these locations in the game as a good jump range for me in ships I feel compelled to use is closer to around 35 LYs, and even my most stripped down ship that is just used for reaching hard to reach places is 65 LYs.

Nice to know some of you guys are finding ways to reach some of these locations none the less. Good on you.

Maybe supercruising between systems can be a thing some day so that some of us mortals can reach these systems too, with enough time.

Cheers.

Many thanks for your efforts, Kelanen, much appreciated. I followed your trail successfully and it was an interesting experience, because I never used those FSD Injections before, never really felt the need to do it.
But next time I'll take a bigger fuelscoop, that 4C is way too slow if you have an Anaconda that is above the minimum jump range.

Anaconda "Equinoxe" having a little rest above the rings of GRCV 6897 AB 1

DB4D4CE027D8FCCC3715B58698755DEEF37591F9

Thank you, Commander!

I completely agree with you, that the 4C Fuel Scoop is painfully slow, however I wanted to be overkill in being cautious on my recommendations, as someone could very easily get stuck up there.

o7 Commander, and Congratulations!

Excellent guide commander!

I must say I'm a bit dissapointed because I was planing for a long time to go there as soon as it was possible to be the first to discover the nebula. Even with FSD booster, after some quick checking, I thought it was still impossible so I gave up. Guess what? I was wrong apparently :D

All I can do is congratulate you on your acheavement, really great work and dedication!

Last edited:
@Mengy

It'd be nice to have to come along. :)

@PGleesonuk

How did the trip go, Commander? :)

@Ophion

Thank you!

I'd be more than happy to take you up there still if you want, just because I reached it first doesn't mean it's any less beautiful. :)

Great thread, Cmdr o7

I would love to take part of this trip, but how do it get these guardians stuff?

*Edit*

I'm sorry, but I have no clue in all this guardians and thargoid stuff :)

Top Bottom