Frontier, can we PLEASE have a new Exploration ship now?

I saw a friend of mine one day in the CG with me, and less than 24 hours later he was in Colonia. That just kills the scale of the galaxy. I kinda miss(ed) the days when only the most dedicated could make it to Beagle Point after months of hard work fighting against the black. THOSE people were explorers. Today we're just tourists camping in our fancy motor homes.

Took my 36LY max DBE to the end of the galaxy before engineers via Roncevaux Crossing.

You can make around 2000LY per hour, to Colonia that would be 10 hours flight time without neutron boosts.
8 hours sleep, 2x 5hour sessions, that gives you two 3 hour breaks for hunting food.

This seems relevant right about now (the funk soul brothers)

Check it out now (the funk soul brothers)

[video=youtube;7MAet_F-ad0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MAet_F-ad0&t=4s[/video]

• Like (+1)
Reactions: A D
Took my 36LY max DBE to the end of the galaxy before engineers via Roncevaux Crossing.

You can make around 2000LY per hour, to Colonia that would be 10 hours flight time without neutron boosts.
8 hours sleep, 2x 5hour sessions, that gives you two 3 hour breaks for hunting food.

clockwork-orange-eyes.jpg

Did'nt the Krait top out at like 60ly or something silly? I was gonna use mine for exploration lol, and im pretty much just a pewpew pilot.

These young'ens have it good now days... when I was a boy I had to walk 10 miles to school each day without shoes. :D

Not all of us, I acually did walk 13 miles to college every other day for two years aha.

Krait Mk. II. Best exploration vessel since the Asp Explorer and it came with the latest update.

I have got my build above 50 ly core jump range with a lot of fun stuff built into it.
Looks great, exploration suitable cockpit, lots of internals and fun to fly... You should try one.

There is no Need for a new Exploration ship. I'd be happy if I could choose to use the front Cockpit of the conda. 'cause the canopy is its only drawback (apart from SC-maneuvrability) yet it happens to have a proper canopy at the front.

HighResScreenShot_2014-07-20_19-25-42%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Hmm. 57 LY and still not good? Are you sure this is about exploration and not interstellar racing?
Also, unless FD implentes a hard cap, there will always be one ship which has half a LY more range than the others and thus apparently is the "best" choice. It's just like with cargo ships, as long as one can just carry 4 tons more than another, it'll be seen as the better cargo ship.
It might be just me, but in my eyes the the criteria "does the job reasonably well and is fun to use" counts. And 57 LY jump range in my eyes is more than just reasonably well.

I never said the Krait's range wasn't good, I said it's not competitive to the Anaconda's range, which is the whole point. A new exploration ship presumes best in class jump range, because judging from the statistics we have that is very important to a great number of explorers and a huge reason why the Anaconda is so popular among them.

The magical broken Anaconda is the problem here. If it didn't exist then the fleet of ships would honestly be balanced pretty well:

• The DBX would have the absolute best range but with the downside of few internals and a slow scoop
  • The Asp Explorer would be the next best jumper and a fantastic all around exploration ship
  • There would be several ships a few paces behind those two, namely the Krait, Orca, Dolphin, T6, and Courier.

The Anaconda being leagues beyond all of these is why explorers keep asking for more exploration ship choices, because nothing else comes even close to it, from a pure capability point of view.

Hello Frontier,

I think this has been brought up a few times, but it has indeed gotten to the point of extreme frustration for so so many people.

Every single new ship released in the last year or more has been combat focused. Even the multi-role Krait is a basically a more combat friendly version of the Python. And before that, we got the Beluga (still in a bad spot, still needs buffs) and the Dolphin.

You know what's missing here?

The last time we got an exploration focused ship was THREE YEARS AGO (Diamondback Explorer). Since then, nothing. There are a grand total of three deep space exploration friendly ships currently available: Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer, Anaconda. And when I say deep space exploration, I mean ships with a pre-engi/pre-guardian tech jump range of over 30LY when fitted with D-rated gear.

Now obviously, any ship can go exploring in the deep ... but when you're travelling FAR, range matters a great great deal as space sickness is a thing and sometimes you need to get back to the nearest base ASAP.

The biggest problem with the current lineup is that there's no decent mid-range explorer. There's this big gap between the Asp and the Anaconda where a huge number of low jump range ships lie. The community *absolutely* needs a dedicated explorer in the 30-50 million credit range stock. And certainly something much more agile in supercruise than the Anaconda (I HATE exploring in that thing), as well as having a better cockpit view. As it stands, you either take DBX or AspX for an agile and comfortable explorer with limited internals, or you grab an Anaconda that can fit limpets and a fighter bay, but feels like you're piloting a coma patient.

Those of us who like travelling far are more than happy to have a ship with very limited weaponry a la cargo ship or passenger liner. Give us an 8 or 9 optional slot ship with a great cockpit view, good supercruise agility, and great range, and we'll be happy and stop complaining.

Anything in the works? Maybe a pair of explorers that arrive with the exploration update?

I like the Krait very much and pumped its jumprange to a comfortable exploration range while keeping a pretty good loadout, but that's due to the FSD booster, which is, in my opinion a great option to give almost any ship a decent jumprange, BUT, and I already started a few threads about that earlier, the combat focus of the game kinda puts me off.

Basically those were about "why shiplaunched fighters, not shiplaunched vessels? Why does multicrew have that arcade gunner mode and not some scientific scan stuff? Why a repeater turret weapon that also works for mining and not a mining tool that also works for shooting things? Why are we getting more and more combat ships, more weapons and now Guardian hybrid weapons on top of that? And where's the whole science part where we are interacting with the galaxy, take samples, launch probes, don't shoot rocks but mine them?"

I don't do much combat. I can do that in plenty other games. For me Elite is, and thinking of its prequels always was, a space sandbox game where I can interact with, well, space. "Interact" doesn't mean "shoot" though, but for some time now all we get for interaction is weapons. To be fair, we now can scan megaships and installation and then steal stuff. Which is again for the criminal part of the player base, and using the same feature to rescue people in escape pods is kinda nice, but somehow just added as a bonus to a mechanic made for pirates (which is all well, by the way, because pirates also didn't get much I think).

I really hope that the mining and exploration updates is not just some drones and explodable asteroids and a nice ship on top and then it's back to combat. I like to see ship launched exploration vessels using mechanics we don't have yet to examine spots our ships can't reach. I want to see meteorite impact sites with resources to scavenge. I'd like a decent ship that is _not_ usable for combat but excels in something else. What I want is EXPLORATION and SCIENCE!

That said, I think Frontier is doing exeptional work on the game, I just don't really agree with their focus on content.

Last edited:
The Anaconda being leagues beyond all of these is why explorers keep asking for more exploration ship choices, because nothing else comes even close to it, from a pure capability point of view.

The Anaconda retains the issue to not be able to dock at outposts. It's also hard to land depending on the planet.
Also, according to the DWE list above, not even half of CMDRs pilots an Anaconda

Can't we just have a thermal skin focused for exploration, that happens to be very thermally efficient at dispersing and reflecting heat, radiation and extremely light which adds a multiplier to jump range, and utterly Y-fronts for combat.. So effectively you're throwing combat effectiveness out of the window for exploration utility and range.

(then we wont have all the PvP nerfbats swinging for combat balance for something that is or should be used as an exploration fit).

Also, according to the DWE list above, not even half of CMDRs pilots an Anaconda

Wow, less than 50% of the commanders Pilot 3% of all ship types (one specific type out of 35)?!? Yeah you are right, the conda isn't explorer's choice. /s ;)

On a serious not, yes the Conda has its flaws, the biggest IMO being the canopy. But when your Exploration style is to travel from one Hand picked System to another or explore the fringes, it's the first choice. Give me Access to the front nose canopy and I'm delighted.

This is a chart of what explorers will be flying on the upcoming DWE2:

Pilots are willing to suffer that disastrous handling of the Anaconda for two reasons:

1. Lots of internals.
2. Best in class jump range.

Doesn't mean people like the ship, it's just the best tool for the job. THIS is why we want more (or better) exploration ships, so explorers can have more choices of best tools for the job. So the best choice won't always be the Anaconda. So we can finally have more ship diversity on expeditions, and so that every big multiplayer exploration voyage can stop looking like an Anaconda convention.

If there was a ship with a better jump range than the 'Conda that was cheaper and had better SC handling, that table would be even more skewed.

A 'perfect' explorer ship doesn't increase choice - it REDUCES* it.
The Kra2t, by being viable but not ideal, is a better solution (IMO).

*caps not colors, for @Kofeyh

Last edited:
Doesn't mean people like the ship, it's just the best tool for the job. THIS is why we want more (or better) exploration ships, so explorers can have more choices of best tools for the job. So the best choice won't always be the Anaconda.

But it isn't always the Anaconda. Your data above shows that 41% of the time it's the choice, and is the most common choice - yet 59% of the time it is rejected as not being the best tool for the job. Therefore it's not a given.

Not my opinion - the data shows this to be the case.

I don't understand why jump range is so important for a lot of people? To much jump range seems to equal easy mode.
Why? Isn't the size of the full tank much more restricting than jump range?

A fun exploration ship for me would be one with a jump range of 200-300 ly, and a tank that allows approximately the same range.
Jump once, then scoop. If you don't plan your jumps correctly, your done. The danger of exploration.
That would be really fun.

Wow, less than 50% of the commanders Pilot 3% of all ship types (one specific type out of 35)?!? Yeah you are right, the conda isn't explorer's choice. /s ;)

So why doesn't (almost) everybody fly one?
Is it so hard for you to understand that the Anaconda is not the uber-ship in all regards, even though it's widely appreciated?

A 'perfect' explorer ship doesn't increase choice - it REDUCES* it.
The problem I think at the moment is that the number of things an exploration ship needs - and worse, the number of things that are even potentially useful - is far too low to support 'choice'.

So you could very easily have a "perfect" exploration ship which had
Size 1: distributor, life support, sensors
Size 2: power plant, thrusters
Size 4: FSD
Optional: 5-3-2-2-1-1-1-1
2 utilities, 1 small hardpoint
Unengineered max range >40 LY, good supercruise agility, Lakon-style views.

Combat, you literally cannot fit every useful module to your ship - and even excluding the thargoids outfitting to your planned opponents is sensible.
Mining, you have to choose between cargo space and mining gear.
Even trading, you have a compromise between cargo space and survivability.

Exploration you can fit everything of even marginal utility to most of the medium and all of the large ships ... so what's left to distinguish except jump range?

If exploration had lots of *larger* modules - size 5-8 - with the usual mass and power consumption for modules of that size (active sensors need a lot of energy) ... if the base sensor module had any exploration role [1] and therefore made sense to A-rate ... if realspace speed and agility had exploration uses ... etc. etc. then what a "good" exploration ship was would be a much more interesting and varied question.

(But given that every release of modules with even a marginal exploration use raises waves of complaints that it's no longer possible to explore in smaller ships because they can't carry everything at once, and the current obsession with jump range over everything else ... I don't know if bringing that sort of interest and choice to exploration would be popular.)

[1] I wonder if this *was* intended at some point, as the Asps are one of the few ships to have a Sensors size that equals their other largest core internals (Adder, Anaconda and Corvette being the others)

Top Bottom