News Focused Feedback Forum Content Schedule

My hunch is the opposite, that Frontier is actually behind schedule and are trying to figure out what features to cut in order to make it for 2018. It's why both the exploration and fleet carrier reveals haven't happened yet. They clearly felt they were ready back in May when they gave us the original schedule, but the fleet carrier and exploration reveals are now two months overdue with no info on when we will see them. Stuff like this happens during development of course, sometimes ambitions are too large to meet schedules and things get trimmed. When we do get the reveals we will likely never know if things were trimmed or not.

As depressing as it is, I think this could be true. Alternatively it might be the premium content that is behind schedule but because of inter-linked features with the Q4 update everything is delayed. Let's hope they choose to delay launch rather than cut features, the game does not need another Multi-crew debacle.

That was the amended schedule.

The original estimated schedule was copy-pasta'd to Reddit:
  • Squadrons Discussion - 7th 8th May (7th was a UK Bank Holiday)
  • Mining Discussion - 28th May
  • Exploration/Codex Discussion - 18th June
Exploration/Codex Discussion looks to be at least 8 weeks later than originally estimated.

I have some friends that live in Cambridge. They were in a pub close to Bar Hill and saw 2 guys with Frontier t-shirts. Turned out they were Fdevs!!! Anyhow, after a few drinks paid and some fun, they drilled on the Fdevs and here's the juice:

Squadrons:
1- When docking to a station, the station will recognize you are in a squadron and address the whole squad the same way. There will be an extra menu option for squad items, no details there.
2- when in a squad, purchasing cargo will be distributed across the ships as needed.
3- They would not confirm or deny of a bigger ship that would carry up to 2 small ships (like Viper or even Cobra). They also wouldn't deny or confirm that the cost would be over 500 million.
4- When jumping to systems, the FSD drives would sync and the jumps would be matching the range of the ship with the smallest jump range. Meaning if there is a star system that the squad is jumping to, the jumps will happen at the same time if the feature is enabled.

Mining:
1- There will be new types of mining lasers. They would not confirm or deny that one of them would be a turret with a tractor beam that would work in parallel to the mining laser, but with loss in amount of material that would be salvaged out of the mining activity.
2- Limpets would be more durable and would be able to carry more materials.
3- They are still evaluating if they would introduce an overshield that would cover your ship and the asteroid while you mine.
4- There will be a new type of sensor that will help identify areas that would be better for mining, but triggering the sensor can alert other prospectors and also pirates.
5- During mining, there could be explosions due to some materials reacting to the laser exposure.
6- Big ships will have the option of a special cargo hold where smaller asteroids could be "scooped" and processed inside the ship. This would have implications on boost, speed and FSD jumps. Also on the heat generated.
7- A new type of planet mining will be introduced. Seems it will be similar to what we've seen being protected by drones.

Exploration:
1- A new technology is to be introduced that works kind of like a portal. It would allow pilots to travel to points of interest outside the bubble in a very short time, but longer than a regular FSD jump (something to do with the way it needs to happen). Only the Alliance will have the technology in the beginning and it would trigger a kind of cold war between the powers to get the technology. They said it will be tied to the recent wedding of Princess Aisling Duval and Federal Ambassador Jordan Rochester. Seems that was a coverup that allowed them to work together in getting the technology. There will be missions tied to this race to get the new technology. Also, at the beginning, due to the secretive nature and special requirements of it, only some places will have the technology at the beginning and only accessed by Elite and 1 rank lower pilots. Once the narrative ends, the places where the option will be available will grow and lower ranking pilots will also have access. At the beginning, since it is Alliance tech, only people doing power play with the Alliance will have access to it. My friends said the Fdevs were acting like kids on a sugar rush when talking about this feature as they were super excited about it.
2- Planets will have new types of rocks.
3- Some landable planets will have mist of different color. The color will indicate how toxic the planet is. It will have an impact on the hull and SRV. There is also talk of it affecting landings and launches.
4- Colors on planet surfaces will be more prominent.

Other features:
1- New customizations to your ships
2- During combat, overheated ships will be more prominent and easier to spot
3- Transfer of modules or ships are being evaluated, but most likely be tied to a hefty cost and some restrictions
4- A photo mode is being introduced. When my friends commented if this was due to the same feature in NMS, the Fdevs started laughing.
5- They didn't comment on ice planets or atmospheric landings. Same with space legs.

Some of this can be alcohol talking, but sounds very exciting indeed.

I have some friends that live in Cambridge. They were in a pub close to Bar Hill and saw 2 guys with Frontier t-shirts. Turned out they were Fdevs!!! Anyhow, after a few drinks paid and some fun, they drilled on the Fdevs and here's the juice:

Squadrons:
1- When docking to a station, the station will recognize you are in a squadron and address the whole squad the same way. There will be an extra menu option for squad items, no details there.
2- when in a squad, purchasing cargo will be distributed across the ships as needed.
3- They would not confirm or deny of a bigger ship that would carry up to 2 small ships (like Viper or even Cobra). They also wouldn't deny or confirm that the cost would be over 500 million.
4- When jumping to systems, the FSD drives would sync and the jumps would be matching the range of the ship with the smallest jump range. Meaning if there is a star system that the squad is jumping to, the jumps will happen at the same time if the feature is enabled.

Mining:
1- There will be new types of mining lasers. They would not confirm or deny that one of them would be a turret with a tractor beam that would work in parallel to the mining laser, but with loss in amount of material that would be salvaged out of the mining activity.
3- They are still evaluating if they would introduce an overshield that would cover your ship and the asteroid while you mine.
4- There will be a new type of sensor that will help identify areas that would be better for mining, but triggering the sensor can alert other prospectors and also pirates.
5- During mining, there could be explosions due to some materials reacting to the laser exposure.
6- Big ships will have the option of a special cargo hold where smaller asteroids could be "scooped" and processed inside the ship. This would have implications on boost, speed and FSD jumps. Also on the heat generated.
7- A new type of planet mining will be introduced. Seems it will be similar to what we've seen being protected by drones.

Exploration:
1- A new technology is to be introduced that works kind of like a portal. It would allow pilots to travel to points of interest outside the bubble in a very short time, but longer than a regular FSD jump (something to do with the way it needs to happen). Only the Alliance will have the technology in the beginning and it would trigger a kind of cold war between the powers to get the technology. They said it will be tied to the recent wedding of Princess Aisling Duval and Federal Ambassador Jordan Rochester. Seems that was a coverup that allowed them to work together in getting the technology. There will be missions tied to this race to get the new technology. Also, at the beginning, due to the secretive nature and special requirements of it, only some places will have the technology at the beginning and only accessed by Elite and 1 rank lower pilots. Once the narrative ends, the places where the option will be available will grow and lower ranking pilots will also have access. At the beginning, since it is Alliance tech, only people doing power play with the Alliance will have access to it. My friends said the Fdevs were acting like kids on a sugar rush when talking about this feature as they were super excited about it.
3- Some landable planets will have mist of different color. The color will indicate how toxic the planet is. It will have an impact on the hull and SRV. There is also talk of it affecting landings and launches.

Other features:
3- Transfer of modules or ships are being evaluated, but most likely be tied to a hefty cost and some restrictions
4- A photo mode is being introduced. When my friends commented if this was due to the same feature in NMS, the Fdevs started laughing.
5- They didn't comment on ice planets or atmospheric landings. Same with space legs.

Some of this made me raise an eyebrow, but it will be interesting to see none the less.

I don't quite get it with all that Focused Feedback stuff.

When they announced it, it was like 'finally!' chant from community. Great, guys, you want to discuss some stuff ahead of time, in order not to redo it twice as Engineers... Great. Now, what we're having? ... summer is almost gone, focused feedback is forgotten less than 3 months after it was announced, communication pretty much stopped, we're only enjoyng those full of serious discussions and masterful flying livestreams, that are, honestly, such a joke, I have no idea who watches them anyway...

I mean, it's 3 months left until magic and game saving Q4 update. It's either hugely delayed, again (FD can't even plan for a year ahead now, in this case, which is the shame, especially after Horizons 2 years), or most of the stuff is half-baked and almost done, because there's no way they can do meaningful changes to something if they'll see community points about some certain gameplay/flow/features. Why would you pretend to listen to our opinion if you're not planning to implement it, then? Just to be nice? ...

Lets not dig in into words, announcements, mentions, promises over the years that FD did pronounce and got forgotten completely. Some minor stuff like player ads would take months to complete, except weeks. Everything gets delayed, forgotten or getting half-baked in the end. It's just so depressing to see honestly. And it's not like this communication failures come from 1-2-3 guys, no, it's from everyone and everything. From dev, community manager, newsletter, some forum posts, David, livestream, etc. They are just like that and we'd either have to adapt, accept or leave.

No constancy in anything. Well, except new paintjobs in a store.

Pretty sure no asteroids today are small enough to fit inside a ship (did someone say Panther?) so perhaps this means asteroid chunks after blasting.

Exploration:

That sounds bloody awful.

As in, transfer between players?

Being Mr Cynical, I don't usually pay much head to "met a bloke down the pub" stuff, but everything you've written is plausible so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If indeed you are trolling us, then good job (actually about the exploration point above I hope you are...)

Personally I really cannot see much wrong with the new mining mechanics. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

The only thing about the mining reveal that troubles me is the number of new mining weapons introduced. It's too many and it will greatly limit mining ship choices.

I would have designed the new mechanics to either use a lesser number of weapons in more varied ways, or to have fewer weapons with multiple uses for each.

Swiss army knife mining weapons rather than super specialized ones.

Squadrons:

Mining:

Exploration:

Other features:

IF someone is trolling here then well played sir! That's a hell of a lot of detail for someone to leak down the pub (and for someone else to remember and take down). If it's genuine then a) someone at FD is about to lose their job and b) I concur with MAIN SEQUENCE, portals and exploration mechanics tied in to Aisling's wedding sounds **g HORRIFIC. Actually no, strike that, even as I type it I'm slapping myself in the face. Someone is trolling, this CAN'T be true.

Cattle poo

FTFY. Of course I would get a bit of Schadenfreude if the "jump gates/portals" were implemented, just to watch those hard-core players crying foul on autopilot everytime it pops up amass pitchforks and whinge on the forum. But it won't happen. This point alone is a tell-tale sign of troll presence :p. Also locking that to Alliance pp allegiance is another tell tale sign, because it's as simple as choosing allegiance in the powerplay menu... Also level locking to deadly or elite doesn't make much sense either...

500 million for a ship is peanuts compared to in-game wealth people have.

I actually won't decompose the post further. I am 99,9% sure it's a trollpost aimed at getting a response from the Community Managers :p GL.
<style></style><style></style>

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

The only thing about the mining reveal that troubles me is the number of new mining weapons introduced. It's too many and it will greatly limit mining ship choices.

I would have designed the new mechanics to either use a lesser number of weapons in more varied ways, or to have fewer weapons with multiple uses for each.

Swiss army knife mining weapons rather than super specialized ones.

That is the only minor issue, but the only ships it's going to cause issues with will be the sidewinder, hauler, dolphin and Type 6 and even then they will be able to still mine the old way and some of the new way, just not all of it. All the other ships have enough Hard points to use them all. It will make some a bit toothless though.

I don't think that is too bad to be honest. I can see the Cobra Mk4 turning into a pretty good full on mining starter ship.

But saying that I wouldn't be against your suggestion either.

Squadrons:

Mining:

Exploration:

Other features:

I smell something to be honest, smells like animal dung.

Squadrons:

Mining:

Exploration:

Other features:

That's great work cmdr. What did they say about the premium content and LEP holders? Come on spill the beans.

This is great- it involves the pub, ED, espionage and probably a ton of pork scratchings.

[video=youtube;HQ9nE3_Yn3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9nE3_Yn3E[/video]

Squadrons:

Mining:

Exploration:

Other features:

That was funny to read but total bull ;) Thanks for the laugh.

Pretty sure no asteroids today are small enough to fit inside a ship (did someone say Panther?) so perhaps this means asteroid chunks after blasting.

That sounds bloody awful.

As in, transfer between players?

Being Mr Cynical, I don't usually pay much head to "met a bloke down the pub" stuff, but everything you've written is plausible so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If indeed you are trolling us, then good job (actually about the exploration point above I hope you are...)

Unless of course that new fangled "Portal to points of interest" technology is just a stepping stone to allow up to go to Andromeda with Fog of Exploration mechanic there. Then I could tolerate that whole portal thingy, otherwise, no thanks.

And yeah, I'm always the skeptic, but that one post has more in it than pretty much the entire Focused Feedback section so...I'm still a skeptic.

Last edited:

Squadrons:

Mining:

Exploration:

Other features:

Hey! Very imaginative. Can confirm that this didn't happen, and if it did, they were pulling your leg and probably didn't work for Frontier.

Thanks.

Hey! Very imaginative. Can confirm that this didn't happen, and if it did, they were pulling your leg and probably didn't work for Frontier.

Thanks.

And here I thought my friends were giving me the inside scoop of what is coming soon in the Q4 update. At least I do hope you Fdevs have a beer every once in a while at The Three Horseshoes. If yes, me and me mates will be waiting, sitting a few tables down to see if we "hear" anything of interest.

Top Bottom