Booo, Biggest Missed Opportunity of the Year

Eleven Thousand Players on a ship that has outfitting with modules for mining, combat, and exploration. Eleven Thousand Players who dropped everything they were doing in our game knowing full well that it was likely we would be stuck somewhere and we wouldn’t be able to get back for a month.

You had our full attention, you could have done something special, but instead, nothing happened. That’s the most disappointing thing, it all turned into a great big nothingburger with a side of it somehow being the community’s fault. Thargoids are right outside the bubble, we know where to go to fight them.

Where was the imagination? Have you never seen a single space adventure show? You had eleven thousand combat pilots, explorers, miners, and truckers, that you could have dropped anywhere in the galaxy. Told them that they had to work together to get home. Given them a threat to fight and a goal to achieve, maybe even a new mystery to speculate on.

Instead you did nothing

booo

Something happened. You jumped 12 LY which a sidewinder can make easily.

Also, like someone said, players dropped meta-alloys to Thargoids even before the event started lol.

Last edited:
Oh the humanity...

oh-the-huge-manatee3_294.jpg

Eleven Thousand Players on a ship that has outfitting with modules for mining, combat, and exploration. Eleven Thousand Players who dropped everything they were doing in our game knowing full well that it was likely we would be stuck somewhere and we wouldn’t be able to get back for a month.

You had our full attention, you could have done something special, but instead, nothing happened. That’s the most disappointing thing, it all turned into a great big nothingburger with a side of it somehow being the community’s fault. Thargoids are right outside the bubble, we know where to go to fight them.

Where was the imagination? Have you never seen a single space adventure show? You had eleven thousand combat pilots, explorers, miners, and truckers, that you could have dropped anywhere in the galaxy. Told them that they had to work together to get home. Given them a threat to fight and a goal to achieve, maybe even a new mystery to speculate on.

Instead you did nothing

booo

Uhm. If Elite was a pen and paper roleplaying game, I would agree with you. It's not though and hand-tailored adventures take a little more attention and development time, so I disagree. Also, I guess you're a bit late for the complaints party.

EDIT: Look here: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/elite-dangerous
I backed it, own it, and played it. It's pretty good.

Since ED was released, FDEV have only developed exactly one aspect of interaction so far: shooting.

Shoot rocks on SRVs. Shoot asteroids for materials. Shoot barnacles. Shoot Thargoids. Shoot monoliths for patterns. Shoot... oh you get the idea.

So I honestly cannot understand the mentality behind people intending to fly INTO A PERMIT LOCKED system in a shieldless, defenseless explorer.

I honestly can’t. Sorry. So maybe it’s I who lack imagination rather than the now stranded, shieldless commanders.

Yet i am hard pressed to muster much sympathy, however. We’ve lived with FDEV’s oft repeated ineptitude (smattered with moments of pure brilliance) for nearly six years now, and nothing was promised for exploration in this episode.

And FDEV have release a slew of company focused craft recently and AX technology, guardian technology etc.

These to me are massive hints where the major storyline is headed. For Better or worse.

Personally, I feel people who rode the Gnosis expecting a 12 ELW golden system were borederline delusional behaving like brainwashed religious cult members.

There’s was absolutely no solid evidence to it’s existence, just the circulated, amplified self deception of the echo chamber.

I’m sorry that it didn’t work out the way some players wanted it to, but on the positive side, it might be considered a hard lesson in pragmatic separation of unbridled delusion and desire from reason and logic.

And, p.s. it’s just a game.

Since ED was released, FDEV have only developed exactly one aspect of interaction so far: shooting.

Shoot rocks on SRVs. Shoot asteroids for materials. Shoot barnacles. Shoot Thargoids. Shoot monoliths for patterns. Shoot... oh you get the idea.

So I honestly cannot understand the mentality behind people intending to fly INTO A PERMIT LOCKED system in a shieldless, defenseless explorer.

I honestly can’t. Sorry. So maybe it’s I who lack imagination rather than the now stranded, shieldless commanders.

Yet i am hard pressed to muster much sympathy, however. We’ve lived with FDEV’s oft repeated ineptitude (smattered with moments of pure brilliance) for nearly six years now, and nothing was promised for exploration in this episode.

And FDEV have release a slew of company focused craft recently and AX technology, guardian technology etc.

These to me are massive hints where the major storyline is headed. For Better or worse.

Personally, I feel people who rode the Gnosis expecting a 12 ELW golden system were borederline delusional behaving like brainwashed religious cult members.

There’s was absolutely no solid evidence to it’s existence, just the circulated, amplified self deception of the echo chamber.

I’m sorry that it didn’t work out the way some players wanted it to, but on the positive side, it might be considered a hard lesson in pragmatic separation of unbridled delusion and desire from reason and logic.

And, p.s. it’s just a game.
Didn't participate or bother to look into the Gnosis pre flight. Afterwords, I didn't get the anger. Now, after seeing the (seemingly legitimate) announcements from the player group leading the thing about all the exploring to be done, followed by videos of ships getting vaporized trying to launch (repeatedly lol), I get it.

Personally, I think that if the Gnosis hadn't been annihilating pilots like a long range bug light for no fire zone infractions and pilots weren't being smoked trying to launch (all bugs stemming from oversight, or so it seems) then the whole ordeal likely would have been better recieved... or at least less salted.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
What I don't understand is why Canonn didn't schedule this for after 3.3 since there's supposedly a major focus on exploration and seeding stuff out there in the black with better scanning tools. Would've given Fdev time to actually create an experience - not that I believe they're capable of doing such a thing... like disabling the No Fire Zone it takes fore thought and pre-planning, two things Fdev are woefully crap at (they make good grinding and moar weapons tho).

What I don't understand is why Canonn didn't schedule this for after 3.3 since there's supposedly a major focus on exploration and seeding stuff out there in the black with better scanning tools. Would've given Fdev time to actually create an experience - not that I believe they're capable of doing such a thing... like disabling the No Fire Zone it takes fore thought and pre-planning, two things Fdev are woefully crap at (they make good grinding and moar weapons tho).
Moar is always better than less...

Didn't participate or bother to look into the Gnosis pre flight. Afterwords, I didn't get the anger. Now, after seeing the (seemingly legitimate) announcements from the player group leading the thing about all the exploring to be done, followed by videos of ships getting vaporized trying to launch (repeatedly lol), I get it.

Personally, I think that if the Gnosis hadn't been annihilating pilots like a long range bug light for no fire zone infractions and pilots weren't being smoked trying to launch (all bugs stemming from oversight, or so it seems) then the whole ordeal likely would have been better recieved... or at least less salted.

RPG'ers get this stiff but I guess a lot of people don't. Canonn, the ingame group, (as separate from the players themselves) had no way to know that the Gnosis was going to be prevented from arriving at it's destination. Certainly there were hints from FDEV and they may have even told Canonn, in fact they may have actually asked Canonn to do this as part of their on going story line, but strictly speaking, if you are sticking to what Canonn could have known if the game was real life, they couldn't know they were going to be attacked and stopped. You shouldn't let your out of game sources of knowledge interfere with in game activities if the information supplied by that source couldn't possibly be available to your in game characters.

Bugs aside, if Canonn announced the trip, then cancelled it due to information received from FDEV it would have been very poor game playing and also breaking the immersion of the Canonn group in the game.

@Sotin

1. They did something! They even implemented a new game mechanic (admittedly at first with bugs): Combat around stations! This was not possible before, they dedicated the work time of a programmer solely for this purpose in order to interact with something that was initiated by a player group! Time and therefore money was spent for this!

2. Please remember, there currently is no new content, FDev could have placed in the (unintentionally) reachable systems. They would have been as empty as every other system - or at least just be filled with what we already know. You can not place, what does not exist.

3. With 2. In mind, what exactly did you expect? Please detail your fantasies. And while you do so, please tell us which new game elements (models, animations, effects and game mechanics) you imagined and give us your honest estimate, how much work time you think it would have taken to implement those additions.
Then take a step back, look at your estimates and tell us, if you really think, this would have been feasible.

Last edited:
@Sotin

1. They did something! They even implemented a new game mechanic (admittedly at first with bugs): Combat around stations! This was not possible before, they dedicated the work time of a programmer solely for this purpose in order to interact with something that was initiated by a player group! Time and therefore money was spent for this!

2. Please remember, there currently is no new content, FDev could have placed in the (unintentionally) reachable systems. They would have been as empty as every other system - or at least just be filled with what we already know. You can not place, what does not exist.

3. With 2. In mind, what exactly did you expect? Please detail your fantasies. And while you do so, please tell us which new game elements (models, animations, effects and game mechanics) you imagined and give us your honest estimate, how much work time you think it would have taken to implement those additions.
Then take a step back, look at your estimates and tell us, if you really think, this would have been feasible.
Combat around stations has been a thing for as long as stations have been in-game. Visit a CG in Open.

RPG'ers get this stiff but I guess a lot of people don't. Canonn, the ingame group, (as separate from the players themselves) had no way to know that the Gnosis was going to be prevented from arriving at it's destination. Certainly there were hints from FDEV and they may have even told Canonn, in fact they may have actually asked Canonn to do this as part of their on going story line, but strictly speaking, if you are sticking to what Canonn could have known if the game was real life, they couldn't know they were going to be attacked and stopped. You shouldn't let your out of game sources of knowledge interfere with in game activities if the information supplied by that source couldn't possibly be available to your in game characters.

Bugs aside, if Canonn announced the trip, then cancelled it due to information received from FDEV it would have been very poor game playing and also breaking the immersion of the Canonn group in the game.

When FDev permit locked the remaining systems it was highly likely they Gnosis wouldn't make the jump. If people thought it would, well they were being delusional.

There were reports of loads of thargoids in the area the Gnosis was meant to jump to. Stands to reason that it would be very dangerous and thargoids may be there.

Eagle Eye marked the Gnosis as a Target by the Thargoids and predicted an attack.

For some bizarre and inexplicable reason a bunch of people ignored all those in-game warnings and massive hints and went in their paper thin explorer builds.

But instead of blaming themselves which they should have done, they blamed FDev. Standard behaviour from what I can gather, which is a shame.

What I do blame FDev for though is the botched Galnet article and the no fire zone issues. They were poor.

These people should be happy that they witnessed the first ever in-game live assault on a megaship from thargoids. But no, it's "Where is my jump and honk that I wanted to do".

Unbelievable.

Combat around stations has been a thing for as long as stations have been in-game. Visit a CG in Open.

PvE combat as in a combat zone around the Gnosis? That’s new for me.
But I willingly admit that I don’t know everything about the game and am more than happy to stand corrected.

The only problem with the Gnosis scenario is that the news article leaked a few hours before the jump. If it hadn't leaked there wouldn't of been this huge uproar about the event because no one would of known it was pre-planed by Frontier Developments and so would of been seen as emergent game play. This event also gave rise to finding some bugs with the mega ships and also made FDev to take a second look at permit locked areas now they have ships capable of that jump range.

Was it poorly planed ? Yes.
Was it a cop out by FDev? No because if it was to go as planed no one would of been the wiser.
Did it find bugs not seen in the game? Yes, so this can only mean the game will get better in the long run.

I went to the Gnosis in a exploration fit Cobra MKIV and so now I am turning a bad situation into a positive one. I am out there and so I am going to explore.

In the future I hope FDev will do more events like this maybe add a small 1% chance of a mega ship miss jumping each time it makes a jump which could see it end up in a random location or with damaged systems.

Personally I think its great that FDev are getting involved in this way and sure its a learning curve for us all as we find and iron out the bugs.

@Sotin

Well, with just an ounce of imagination "fantasy" I expected to go with a group of players to another part of the galaxy. That's it, that's all.

It doesn't take new "things" in the game to make it interesting. They didn't even need to allow the ship into the permit locked system. I could regale you with a tale of heroism and destruction, but that wasn't the point.

They did nothing.

Last edited:
PvE combat as in a combat zone around the Gnosis? That’s new for me.
But I willingly admit that I don’t know everything about the game and am more than happy to stand corrected.
I’ve been engaged by hostile NPCs outside a station before. Usually Anacondas following me for my “tasty cargo”. The laser lightshow that ensues is spectacular.

Well, with just an ounce of imagination "fantasy" I expected to go with a group of players to another part of the galaxy. That's it, that's all. It doesn't take new "things" in the game to make it interesting. They didn't even need to allow the ship into the permit locked system. I could regale you with a tale of heroism and destruction, but that wasn't the point.

They did nothing.

They did something, just not what you were expecting. There were enough hints and warnings. Not FDevs fault if players ignore them.

I’ve been engaged by hostile NPCs outside a station before. Usually Anacondas following me for my “tasty cargo”. The laser lightshow that ensues is spectacular.

While this does happen, it was nothing like what happened at the Gnosis which was far more epic in proportion and closer to the trailers we see.

Another poster invoking "we" and "our" when they are only speaking for themselves.

Did I misspeak? I am a member of the community, I chose not to include things that only affected me. Did you have a different experience? One more positive maybe? Did you take part? Were you satisfied with the result? Your opinion on the situation is just as important as mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom