News Chapter Four - Exploration Reveal

I have another question. How do you steer your ship if you're looking at some scanner interface? It'd be like texting and driving...a bad idea.

You had me at Holistic. :rolleyes:

I don't think so, the point of making these changes improvements to existing modules rather than new modules entirely was to spare explorers who are out in the black from having to come back and refit their ship, for that reason it would be weird for them to take up cargo space.

But yet they even said that you can make more of them. Sounds like to me you will need to carry them, like limpets. So those that wish to be doing long exploration trips will either need to be doing lots of resource gathering all the time to keep scanning planets they wish to map. If that's that case very NOT COOL.

This is AMAZING. You are bringing actual science to gameplay in a way that will make the galaxy come alive and let explorers feel like they're interacting with a real universe! So happy for the future of this game!! Is it possible to do backflips at my age?

Heh, I was wondering what your thoughts on the matter were. Glad to hear it's on the right track for you too!

Adam Bourke-Waite

Principal Designer - E:D
Frontier
I was afraid of this. If we can't tell from the initial glance whether there might be interesting planets - water worlds, Earth-like worlds, ammonia worlds - in a system, that'll slow exploration gameplay and progression to a crawl. (Well, you could at least fix the latter by drastically improving the payouts.)

The first screenshot shows uniform white "blips" on the scanner, and some energy distribution stuff. Based on these and/or perhaps other things, will we still have the means to quickly tell if a system might be worth looking at more, or is that getting nerfed? Because from experience, we know that many systems simply aren't. If we'll have to spend much more time on the initial survey, to get a grip on the contents of the system, then that won't be enjoyable after the 20th system, let alone the hundreds and thousands we explorers go through.

The intention is that the energy distribution should provide explorers with information they can interpret to help identify if specific body types exist in a system.

The probes work by impacting on the surface of the planet, you are not attempting to get them into an orbit.

I thought the 21st century was wasteful with all the disposable food containers and excess packaging and non-replaceable batteries. But the 34th is even worse. Our research probes and limpets aren't re-usable. Wow, humanity sure does know how to litter.

Finally, I do fervently wish that there is going to be some form of Orrery in there somewhere. It would be a genuinely useful tool for travel within the system, and also a thing of great beauty which would show-case the immense level of astro-mechanical detail that has gone into the system generations. It really does not need to be jaw-droppingly gorgeous graphically, just place-holder "blobs" would deliver the functionality I would like to see. Please???....???

I agree.

Also, being able to see conflict zones, checkpoints etc on the Orrery View would also give you a nice sense of how the different factions relate to each other. A sort of strategic view. And being able to see the paths of ships through a system would really make it come alive -- not to mention giving you a clue as to what the ships are likely to be doing.

Great update, I just have the following concerns:

Unidentified Signal Sources

Along with the Exploration update, we are improving the way that USSs work. USSs will now spawn throughout the entire system when you first enter it. This enables you to use the new exploration tools to find USSs throughout the system, not just in the area around you. You can still interrogate nav beacons to find the locations.

Whilst USSs do still have a decay time, the timers have been increased to allow you time to find and fly to the ones you are interested in. The decay time is also now displayed when targeted. Signal sources still obey rules determining where they can appear within a system, and mission critical signal sources will still be highlighted to differentiate themselves once located.
With he current module system I've removed the basic discover scanner from all my non-exploration ships.
Does it means that I won't be able to see any USS with those unless I specifically go after a Nav Beacon?
It would be a shame since I'd like to join a USS from time to time for a change of pace, but I'm not seeing myself actively looking for them.

You will be able to synthesise micro-probes for the detailed surface scanner, but the better aim you are, the less probes you will need to get complete coverage.
No, please don't.
Please don't add another "finite resource" that has to be synthesize/replaced to be used regularly.
The collection limpets are already annoying enough on that regard.

Plus this is intended for explorers, which have hardly any access to stations/resupply, basically forcing them to land on random planets (with all the risks involved) to grind for materials to synthesize those probes.
Finally, this will add nothing to the experience except being annoying as hell.

Wanna limit the amount of probes to make the minigame interesting and not a spamfest?
You can do that limiting the maximum amount of probes and putting a cooldown in the (automatic) rebuilding process.
This way you only have a certain amount of "shots" per planet, unless you want to synthesize more, but at the same time you'll have all your probes back again once you've jumped a couple of systems away.

The intention is that the energy distribution should provide explorers with information they can interpret to help identify if specific body types exist in a system.

That's how I understood it and I think this is excellent! Much better than staring at the system map.

I'm witholding judgement for now.

I like what I'm seeing, but as we all know, we've been burned before.

- Powerplay
- CQC
- 4AX Weapon Limit
- Engineers + Engineers Revamp
- C&P + C&P Revamp

There must be something that's waiting on the horizon that'll make this new feature somewhat negative.

I want to like it, but I'll wait for Beta... then I'll wait to see what Frontier does with Beta feedback (important).

However: the one positive is finding everything on a planet (I gather brain trees, ancient ruins, geysers) - the rest, i'll reserve judgement.

If you want the location data without using the discovery scanner you can still scan the Nav Beacon to obtain this information.

Maybe the scanner could automatically connect to the beacon for populated systems?

Not only that would save time, but in some cases scanning the beacon is undesirable - say, if it is compromised and you have cargo. You would risk being attacked by all the pirates there.

Players will automatically gain the location of starports and outposts when they enter the system.

And number of stellar bodies ? - I don't care if they are made of chocolate or mud, have ancient civilisations of sentient lobsters doing cartwheels on ancient ruins or a little chef - for those i'm happy to probe and scan away - but I would like to know if there are 10 or 100 planets in the system - or you know... a black hole or somesuch without having to faff around ... well at all.

Ok I've read through it and have pondered the overall design.

Brilliant. Perfect I dare say. Still a lot more quality of life improvements to be made but ultimately this is a beautiful blending my desired waterfall / wavescanner idea and your own simple take on it. I actually really love this. It makes you WANT to spend time in one system and putting in the work to find some tidbits of information that can be valuable or educational.

1) I hope there are a lot of unusual things we can find in pretty much every system.
2) I hope the reward / time spent is exponential according to its difficult. Exploration needs to be highly rewarding
3) I hope the sound team has spent a significant amount of time and effort into merging SOUND into the exploration process. Not only "scanning" with your eyes but listening with your ears.
4) Please add SOUND to the USS signals that make each one unique and interesting but something you can learn to ID
5) Hopefully the cost of making probes will not be too high. We should be able to hit dozens of systems before we need to land and collect materials.
6) I hope you don't water down the information and data too much. Give us streams of info with the filter ability for us to be scanning for specifics.

Scanning for specific things. - I'm almost out of probes.. I'm running low on X Y and Z to produce more. Put a filter in so that when we scan a planet it will "ping" us or highlight the fact we've found 1/5 desired materials.

Wow ... I personally have not been happy with a single update since Horizons and the SRV expansion. Finally something I really am looking forward to!

Kudos.

I really need to see it in action to really give a solid opinion but overall this looks fun.

Top Bottom