So cross platform?

If controller equity between PC and console users is a concern, they could deal with it by having Open Cross Platform and Open Console modes.

To be fair my read of situation is like this - for Sony, PlayStation IS business, it is one of their most profitable ways to earn money. But for Microsoft, XBOX has never turned profit. XBOX360 was in 2B red at the end of it's life. For Microsoft, it is a tool to ensure hegemony of their desktop dominance, that's all they care about.

So in that context Sony seeing this differently than us common gamers might be understandable. There's very little benefit for them to allow crossplay. Yes, it is all politics, yes, consoles are modified comfort PCs these days. It is still about brand, recognition and such. But it is also business. PlayStation value as platform will decrease if players will start to see as glorified comfort PC. It still will be more highly regarded than let's say keeping Windows 10 for gaming. But still...it is considerable psychology change for both console gamers and vendors. Microsoft doesn't care anymore because they know their XBOX business is a bust anyway.

Do we know that they will be extending crossplay to other titles?

That they caved in on Fortnite doesn't mean they'll do it for everybody. It's clearly something they don't want to do, chances are you'd need to be a big deal like Epic to force their hand.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

That they caved in on Fortnite doesn't mean they'll do it for everybody. It's clearly something they don't want to do, chances are you'd need to be a big deal like Epic to force their hand.

I think once the genie is out of the bottle its going to be difficult to put it back in, I am sure there will be lots of hoops developers will have to jump through.

Last edited:
Only 2.8% of console Cmdrs want cross platform compatibility.

lol!

Um, isn't that board switchers? (count me in)

Which imho is a very shortsighted thinking of Microsoft and Sony should it be valid.

I am convinced ED (and many other games) would benefit from cross platform play and attract even more players cause they could play with their friends even if those are not willing to change always platforms only to be able playing everything.

I would love to play Destiny with my son but I can't be bothered to change to PC for that cause I consider PS4 more convenient.
And as everybody has his/her personal preference the big players forego opportunities for making more revenue.

But tbh I also do not expect it coming for ED.
If ever being implemented that would put e.g. the whole powerplay open only discussion on a complete different base of operations.
o7

Well Said!

Microsoft, XBOX has never turned profit.

I don't think that's correct anymore?

http://www.ticgn.com/news/xbox-2-25-billion-microsoft-in-third-quarter-2018/

Slightly different thing, but if I could login as my PC cmdr on Xbox, I'd buy another copy of the game..

Play Anywhere - great concept!

Last edited by a moderator:

I imagine many people would like the minecraft bedrock edition to come to ps4 but given it requires the user to have a xbox account I imagine it's a non-starter for Sony.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello everyone,

First off, the news of this cross-platform beta for Fortnite is really exciting. As it’s just announced, we'll be watching with interest to see how it goes!

Though we’re excited, we've nothing to announce on how this could effect Elite Dangerous in the future. However, you'll find all the information here on our forums, across our newsletters and social pages should that change.

I feel like we need to RIOT until frontier confirm they are engaging in negotiations with all platforms to make it a reality.

Commence RIOT.

I think we should start out with a hard hitting leaflet campaign, and if that doesn't work, it's time for the big guns.

T-shirts. "Cross play in, corporate cross play hating overlords out."

Or, "Crossed Lines In, Thick Overlords, Realise Integration Superior"

Hello everyone,

First off, the news of this cross-platform beta for Fortnite is really exciting. As it’s just announced, we'll be watching with interest to see how it goes!

Though we’re excited, we've nothing to announce on how this could effect Elite Dangerous in the future. However, you'll find all the information here on our forums, across our newsletters and social pages should that change.

Sounds like Frontier is gearing up to take a slice of that pie should things turn out well :)

Sounds like Frontier is gearing up to take a slice of that pie should things turn out well :)

Indeed, all that negativity here..

Guess you all forgot that as soon it was out Xbox will get a HOTAS, Frontier played ball, as soon as it was know PS4Pro, and XboxoneX would come, Frontier played ball.

And now with crossplay, if this will be really a thing, Frontier will do everything in their power to make it happen.

Y'all glass half empty kind of people.. Lighten up..

Indeed, all that negativity here..

Guess you all forgot that as soon it was out Xbox will get a HOTAS, Frontier played ball, as soon as it was know PS4Pro, and XboxoneX would come, Frontier played ball.

And now with crossplay, if this will be really a thing, Frontier will do everything in their power to make it happen.

Y'all glass half empty kind of people.. Lighten up..

I'm super tired of forum white nights telling me to smile.

Listen up:

MS never stood in the way of Frontier doing this for ED between the Xbox and PC.

So you gotta realize that this news regarding PlayStation does nothing to change the status quo.

They're separate because that's what FD WANTS. No Fortnight/PS news is changing that.

It's working this way by design.

I'm super tired of forum white nights telling me to smile. ....

Here, have a pillow to go to sleep on.

19_pillow_front.jpg

Hello everyone,

The BGS is already cross-platform and has been for years. Might be worth a few PR points while this is in the news.

Top Bottom