So cross platform?

...and go through the whole OMG mouse & keyboard vs controller arguments again lol.

Oh boy.

(but it would be cool)

Considering the game shares the same Universe across all Platforms, I think it's only logical every platform should be connected through Open Play. I also believe PowerPlay should be Open only because it kind of leans towards ridiculous that your power can be undermined from Solo and there's nothing you can do to intervene.

You could argue the same where player factions are concerned. For example undermining a PC based system from a PS4, such as C.O.N.T.R.A.I.L years ago gobbling up the Anlave system along with the Federal lore, since they're an independent faction not in any way aligned with the federation.

I remember how much work people put in trying to counter that faction's influence in the system then FD automatically reset all work and propped them up 60% or something. But that's another debate... And to be fair to them, they couldn't do a thing about it if the people undermining them were doing so from Solo or Open in other platforms outwith the PC. So that's the point I'm making.

It wont go cross platform.
Maybe xbox and PS but not with pc..
Due to pc have a massive advantage eg Macros and the power of the pc instancing.

Just my pvo.

Last edited:
Xbox can just about handle 8 in a instance in open play never mind 32 or even 16.

I ment marcros.

Marcros Basicly u can use program's to fly your ship or do things auto. Eg fast pips settings/auto SCB/HS when shields get to a %.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/349743-Question-Key-Macros-and-Cheating

That a PC can potentially multi-task is a factor, but consoles can be cracked too. I wouldn't say this was an ED specific problem but it is a potential obstacle to cross-platform play sure.

Instancing might be potentially bigger or better on a PC but it depends on the spec (obviously a console platform is effectively a fixed spec, off the shelf computer) - it could be worse too. I wouldn't say this was an obstacle to cross-play, just a result of the hardware being used & it's internet connection quality.

Everyone keeps bringing up cheating and imbalance (mouse vs controller vs macros, for example), but how many of you regularly engage in PvP? I was under the impression that most people requesting cross-platform are interested in cooperative gameplay.

Everyone keeps bringing up cheating and imbalance (mouse vs controller vs macros, for example), but how many of you regularly engage in PvP? I was under the impression that most people requesting cross-platform are interested in cooperative gameplay.
Yeah but when crossplatform is being discussed everyone is suddenly a pvp legend!!

I like PvP. I'd also love cross platform. But macros voice attack etc will make the console players at an extreme disadvantage. I can take losing a lot, but it would kinda suck knowing you never really had a chance. I'd still be in favour of it though. I guess it would mean Fdev would be compelled to bring those features into the base game....

I like PvP. I'd also love cross platform. But macros voice attack etc will make the console players at an extreme disadvantage. I can take losing a lot, but it would kinda suck knowing you never really had a chance. I'd still be in favour of it though. I guess it would mean Fdev would be compelled to bring those features into the base game....

So do macros, voice attack and HOTAS put all the PC players who don't use them at such a disadvantage that nobody on PC should even consider playing without them?

The game is already asynchronous because of ship sizes and loadouts, and it already kinda sucks when you get killed by a PvP build and never had a chance whether you are on PC, Xbox or PS.

As a PC and Xbox player I would welcome crossplay, for the naysayers the answer is simple, Open mode is crossplay and every platform has its own default private group (PC mode, Xbox mode, Playstation mode.

I know I would still pick Open just like I always do on PC and Xbox today.

People can bleat on all day about the superiority of keyboard & mouse and why that'll be a terrible thing for cross play with consoles but you know what? I'm an Xbox CMDR and I want cross play with PC and PS4, and I am not worried a jot about other people using certain input devices to ruin my day.

Taking a look at it, Xbox is going to be getting KB+M support "soon", all three platforms are capable of using HOTAS, and all three platforms are capable of using Game Pads. Fact is, many players, many PC CMDRs use Game Pads, many use some form of HOTAS. The point about input devices is gonna be moot.

Put it this way, in the event of cross play happening, I could complain that "X PC player only killed me because he used a KB+M and I can't", but that's simply not going to be true me, nor probably for the vast majority of players out there - I know that a skilled PC player with a Game Pad could beat me while versus my HOTAS.

Sure it might effect the upper echelons of the PvP community a little more than us mere mortals, but is that really SO MUCH that it provides a significant argument against having cross play?

I don't think so, personally.

People can bleat on all day about the superiority of keyboard & mouse and why that'll be a terrible thing for cross play with consoles but you know what? I'm an Xbox CMDR and I want cross play with PC and PS4, and I am not worried a jot about other people using certain input devices to ruin my day.

Taking a look at it, Xbox is going to be getting KB+M support "soon", all three platforms are capable of using HOTAS, and all three platforms are capable of using Game Pads. Fact is, many players, many PC CMDRs use Game Pads, many use some form of HOTAS. The point about input devices is gonna be moot.

Put it this way, in the event of cross play happening, I could complain that "X PC player only killed me because he used a KB+M and I can't", but that's simply not going to be true me, nor probably for the vast majority of players out there - I know that a skilled PC player with a Game Pad could beat me while versus my HOTAS.

Sure it might effect the upper echelons of the PvP community a little more than us mere mortals, but is that really SO MUCH that it provides a significant argument against having cross play?

I don't think so, personally.

Absolutely agree.
More people, more contact, better group activities.
You never know, when I'm doing my BGS stuff I might actually see somebody!

Ha, I remember all the PC big shots years ago on about their keyboard and mouse when I went up against them in Quake 3: Arena on the Dreamcast. Controller won the day! But only because I'd become very accustomed to using it. If I tried that thing today, however, with the lack of dual sticks... Man!

Top Bottom