Experimental Equipment/Weapons

i wonder where that one came from.
somehow i guess the corresponding CG or galnet article was not yet released.

just like ram tah's 2 weeks late discovery of guardian weapon tech

Yeah for me it dosnt make sense tbf... if we can reproduce their weapons without anything special, then we will get the self healing hullarmour and the beam of light in 2weeks, same with their fsd tech... ;-) lol

Last edited:
This subsection does not show a lot of love to it's topic, it seems. Even after a short google search I can't find much info about all that experimental weapons from the tech-brokers. Did I miss something or is there a black hole of info about in-game experiences and detailed stats for these modules? edit: at least Coriolis has all the stats, but I am really not too much into statistics and numbers, I'd rather have those weapons strengths and weaknesses described in words out of experience in actual in-game use.

I am still in the Guardian systems activating pylons, scanning data and shooting Guardian drones. My goal is to outfit one of my ships with the best of the experimental stuff. I'd like to have a ship that can do AX-combat and also can hold it's own in PvP-combat. Given, I do this unlocking at a very slow pace. My sanity can't tolerate doing a lot of this "archeology" at a time...

So, does anyone know if there is some experience with this?

I'll list all experimental modules I found on Inara:

Human Tech
Remote Release Flechette Launcher
(fixed, turr, class 2)
Not to confuse with Remote Release FLAK Launcher, which is kind of effective against Thargons (the swarms things). Flechette Launcher is another thing. People tell they can deal module damage and may ignore shields. Mostly regarded as useless.
link to discussion
Shock Cannon
(fixed, gimb, turr, class 1-3)
no experience, heard they are MC/Cannon hybrid, good kinetic damage, fast RoF, but not much ammo
link to discussion
Enzyme Missile Rack
(fixed, class 2)
no experience, wiki says they are ineffective for AX-fight, but deal corrosive damage on human ships. Any news if this has proven relevant for PvP-combat?
Meta Alloy Hull ReinforcementProtection against caustic weapons. Good in AX-fight. PvP combat: mostly useless?
Corrosion Resistant Cargo Rack (4E)Good for AX-scientists and some missions that require the transport of caustic thargoid matter

Guardian Modules
Guardian FSD Booster
People seem to like it.
Guardian Hull Reinforcement*
Guardian Hybrid Power Distributor*
Guardian Module Reinforcement*
Guardian Power PlantI think this was bugged and removed some time. Is it working as intended now?
Guardian Shield Reinforcement*
Guardian SLF'sXG7, XG8, XG9
link to topic

* Basically the Guardian Modules are good for AX-fighting, because of higher caustic resistance. What I want to know: Are they viable in human PvP combat too?

Same about the Guardian SLF's...

Guardian Weapons
Guardian Gauss Cannon
(fixed, class 1-2)
The Guardian Rail-Gun. The go-to weapon for AX-fight. More heat, more power. Seems legit for PvP too. I have no experience with it though. link to some discussion
Guardina Plasma Charger (fixed,turr, class 1-3)A bit like engineered APA's. I use this on my Anaconda, although it would profit from a more agile ship. I like it's charge and shoot upon release mechanic. Does work in AX-fight too. Also it's pretty effective in PvE. I really like it. I can imagine it's neat in PvP-Combat too.
Guardian Shard Cannon
(fixed, turr, class 1-3)
The Guardians version of a shotgun ...err frag-cannon. No idea how it is compared to the classical frag or pacifier we know. As all guardian tech, it works against Thargoids.

And for completeness' sake there are also: AX Multicannon, AX Missile, Xeno-Scanner, Shutdown Field Neutraliser, the research-limpet and the anti-corrosion limpet, oh and there is also the AX SLF.

If anyone has some more detailed info and experiences with this tech, please post.

My impression is, that the experimental weapons might not exceed their max-engineered counterparts - but they have one important advantage (beside the AX-capabilities of the Guardian stuff): once their "personal narrative" is unlocked they can be purchased over and over again without any fuss. This is why I think the experimental weapons deserve a more detailed examination here. They might be a very good alternative for those who don't like to tinker with the engineers a lot and prefer to spend a one-time investment in "archeology" or "rare commodity fund raising" and then be done with it.

Also is the limit of 4 experimental modules on any ship still true? Does this include Guardian modules, or only weapons? I think I know quite sure the Xeno-Scanner and Corrosion Resistant Cargo don't add to the experimental cap. Also the Remote-Releas flak does not count to this limit and I am not sure about the Shock Cannon and SLF's. Correct me if I am wrong and if anybody knows, fill me up what exactly is governed by the "4 experimentals" only rule.
I know Guardian Weapons do count to the limit as well as the "old" AX-Weapons.

So if I remember right only: AX Multicannon, AX Missiles, and the 3 Guardian Weapons count to that limit, right?

Last edited:
This subsection does not show a lot of love to it's topic, it seems. Even after a short google search I can't find much info about all that experimental weapons from the tech-brokers. Did I miss something or is there a black hole of info about in-game experiences and detailed stats for these modules? edit: at least Coriolis has all the stats, but I am really not too much into statistics and numbers, I'd rather have those weapons strengths and weaknesses described in words out of experience in actual in-game use.

I am still in the Guardian systems activating pylons, scanning data and shooting Guardian drones. My goal is to outfit one of my ships with the best of the experimental stuff. I'd like to have a ship that can do AX-combat and also can hold it's own in PvP-combat. Given, I do this unlocking at a very slow pace. My sanity can't tolerate doing a lot of this "archeology" at a time...

So, does anyone know if there is some experience with this?

I'll list all experimental modules I found on Inara:

Human Tech
Remote Release Flechette Launcher
(fixed, turr, class 2)
I used this for AX-fighting against Thargons. I have heard that those may be effective for PvP-combat too, but forgot details. I think some believe they do high module damage... maybe good for pirating?
Shock Cannon
no experience, heard they are MC/Cannon hybrid, good kinetic damage, fast RoF, but not much ammo
link to discussion
Enzyme Missile Rack
(fixed, class 2)
no experience, wiki says they are ineffective for AX-fight, but deal corrosive damage on human ships. Any news if this has proven relevant for PvP-combat?
Meta Alloy Hull ReinforcementProtection against caustic weapons. Good in AX-fight. PvP combat: mostly useless?
Corrosion Resistant Cargo Rack (4E)Good for AX-scientists and some missions that require the transport of caustic thargoid matter

Guardian Modules
Guardian FSD Booster
People seem to like it.
Guardian Hull Reinforcement*
Guardian Hybrid Power Distributor*
Guardian Module Reinforcement*
Guardian Power PlantI think this was bugged and removed some time. Is it working as intended now?
Guardian Shield Reinforcement*
Guardian SLF'sXG7, XG8, XG9

* Basically the Guardian Modules are good for AX-fighting, because of higher caustic resistance. What I want to know: Are they viable in human PvP combat too?

Same about the Guardian SLF's...

Guardian Weapons
Guardian Gauss Cannon
(fixed, class 1-2)
The Guardian Rail-Gun. The go-to weapon for AX-fight. More heat, more power. Seems legit for PvP too. I have no experience with it though. link to some discussion
Guardina Plasma Charger (fixed,turr, class 1-3)A bit like engineered APA's. I use this on my Anaconda, although it would profit from a more agile ship. I like it's charge and shoot upon release mechanic. Does work in AX-fight too. Also it's pretty effective in PvE. I really like it. I can imagine it's neat in PvP-Combat too.
Guardian Shard Cannon
(fixed, turr, class 1-3)
The Guardians version of a shotgun ...err frag-cannon. No idea how it is compared to the classical frag or pacifier we know. As all guardian tech, it works against Thargoids.

And for completeness' sake there are also: AX Multicannon, AX Missile, Xeno-Scanner, Shutdown Field Neutraliser, the research-limpet and the anti-corrosion limpet, oh and there is also the AX SLF.

If anyone has some more detailed info and experiences with this tech, please post.

My impression is, that the experimental weapons might not exceed their max-engineered counterparts - but they have one important advantage (beside the AX-capabilities of the Guardian stuff): once their "personal narrative" is unlocked they can be purchased over and over again without any fuss. This is why I think the experimental weapons deserve a more detailed examination here. They might be a very good alternative for those who don't like to tinker with the engineers a lot and prefer to spend a one-time investment in "archeology" or "rare commodity fund raising" and then be done with it.

Also is the limit of 4 experimental modules on any ship still true? Does this include Guardian modules, or only weapons? I think I know quite sure the Xeno-Scanner and Corrosion Resistant Cargo don't add to the experimental cap. Also the Remote-Releas flak does not count to this limit and I am not sure about the Shock Cannon and SLF's. Correct me if I am wrong and if anybody knows, fill me up what exactly is governed by the "4 experimentals" only rule.
I know Guardian Weapons do count to the limit as well as the "old" AX-Weapons.

So if I remember right only: AX Multicannon, AX Missiles, and the 3 Guardian Weapons count to that limit, right?
I have experience with every single on of them. Here we go..

Remote Release Flechette Launcher - almost not usable, too low speed for PvP, too hard to hit, not very good damage because of flak mechanic that make every flak ricochet from a ship for whatever reason.

+ it can damage external and some of internal modules through shields (the only one weapon that can do that in game to be clear)

- it's not good.

Verdict 3/10 (you can use it, but why would you?)

Shock Cannon - this one is different.. It have quite big damage for a weapon of it's size, but not enough ammo to even kill someone hull in PvP, can be gimbaled, turreted, can work in 2 modes (shotgun, cannon) Shotgun is when you pull the trigger as fast as you can, Cannon is when you shoot with burst of 4 with little pause before next burst. It's very unique weapon. We don't have anything like this in game at this moment. Mechanic of this weapon is unique. It's also one of the best looking weapons in the game. For some reason it's damage is kinetic.

+ unique mechanics
+ nice sound
+ while it is an experimental weapon, you can put as much of them as you want - there is no limit, only hardpoints.
+ quite good damage
+ 1200m/s
+ amazing model of weapon
- NOT ENOUGH AMMO
- NOT ENOUGH AMMO
- NOT ENOUGH AMMO
- NOT ENOUGH AMMO
- very high heat generation

Verdict 6/10 only for fun and nothing else (FD still can save this weapon if they would add to it another 150 ammo)

Enzyme Missile Rack - they are inefective and broken. in everything. avoid at all cost.
(fixed, class 2)

Meta Alloy Hull Reinforcement - they are a JOKE from FDEV, avoid at all cost. They are bad in every single way it only could be. No one use them in AX combat. I can prove that as an AX pilot myself.

Corrosion Resistant Cargo Rack(4E) - it's good.

Guardian FSD Booster - Well you know it

Guardian Hull Reinforcement (GHRP) - it's less sh***y version of meta alloy. It's kind of usefull, but not worth the grind in any way. You need a lot of energy to use them. No limit for use.

Guardian Hybrid Power Distributor (GPD) - if you don't want to bother with enginers, that is what you looking for. Yes, it's a bit worse than normal HPD with grade 5 and produce heat, but also will add 4% of power limit to any installed Power Plant. So basically with this thing on board you can have the most power plant capacity you can get in the game. Worth the grind if you hate enginers.

Guardian Module Reinforcement (GMRP) - just best MRP in the game to this date. But will need some power for use. Also protect from thargoids attack in some way. But it's hard to tell. No limit for use.

Guardian Power Plant (GPP) - it's ok. Same as GPD it will allow you to not bother with enginers. Have just a bit less power than normal PP G5. Produce same heat as B version of normal PP. Have a bit more integrity. Worth the grind if you hate engineers.

Guardian Shield Reinforcement (GSRP) - It's really really GOOD. it's a game changer actually. Totally worth the grind in any case. Will help you to experiment with small and medium ships that have some problems with shields because of low amount of utility or anything else. No limit for use.

Guardian SLF's they look amazing, sounds amazing, feel amazing but they suck. Only usable for fun.

Guardian Gauss Cannon - it's OP AF. it's 100/10 best AX weapon to date. 4 AX weapon in limit. Absolute sh**t against humans. Worst weapon you can imagine. Not even for fun.
(fixed, class 1-2)

Guardina Plasma Charger(fixed,turr, class 1-3) - GAUSS IS JUST TOO DAMN OP AF (you can use it against humans if you want some fun, but it's not effective in any possible way..)

Guardian Shard Cannon - Effective against thargoids in some scenarios. The only weapon that work well against humans. Actually even good against humans. Have the highest Armor Piercing value in shotgun category which make it very effective against humans hull. For some reason also deal very high damage to human shields.

That is helpful, thanks @Insane4un. Especially the "Worth the grind if you hate engineers" tag did it for me. I chuckled. And it's so true for me.

So I think I'll try to unlock most Guardian modules and go with the OP Gauss paired with one or two Shard Cannons. I'll be having more time to contemplate about a build tomorrow.

Thanks again for the comprehensive answer!

That is helpful, thanks @Insane4un. Especially the "Worth the grind if you hate engineers" tag did it for me. I chuckled. And it's so true for me.

So I think I'll try to unlock most Guardian modules and go with the OP Gauss paired with one or two Shard Cannons. I'll be having more time to contemplate about a build tomorrow.

Thanks again for the comprehensive answer!
Just to be clear. Plasma Chargers are pretty effective against thargoid interceptor, but will need a lot of capacitor to use them. Gauss just still much better. But gauss will heat you, so you need 1-2 Heat sinks utility to use them before firing. It's also a railgun hitscan type of weapon, so if you are not ok with railguns, may be you should go with shards or plasma.

And if you don't want to bother with guardian weapons you can still use AX multi. They are really effective against Cyclope Interceptor and scouts but nothing else.

Another quick question:

I don't have to unlock each size and mounting of a weapon individually, do I?

If I unlock a blueprint for the Gauss Cannon, I have unlocked it for all sizes and mountings, I hope???

Another quick question:

I don't have to unlock each size and mounting of a weapon individually, do I?

If I unlock a blueprint for the Gauss Cannon, I have unlocked it for all sizes and mountings, I hope???

that would be logical
but FDEV thought we need more content, so no, you have to unlock ich damn size and mount-type (gimbal/turret/fixed) seperately

that would be logical
but FDEV thought we need more content, so no, you have to unlock ich damn size and mount-type (gimbal/turret/fixed) seperately

Oh no, I see an alert incoming. What is this flashing light and this screeching and beeping? Oh, damn, it's the motivation tank. It has taken a big dent! Omg. It's leaking. Activating repair limpets. Oh *beep* , my back-up motivation is nearly used up. What do I do now. Well better calm down, patch things up with gaffa-tape and sleep some hours over it... ...are those ancient pylons coming closer? They surround me and they are coming closer and closer. Now what? I got buried by hundreds of ancient relics.. I can't ..get .. no .. air... ..

beep

beep

only a dream? or not?

edit: to fulfill my goal I need 8 more blueprints and 50 epsilon data ... it CAN be done.

Last edited:
Just a quick question:
Do human techbroker weapons deal damage against thargoids (not scouts, the real interceptors)?
I was interested in the shock cannon since the original 3.0 beta, and want to give it a spin,
now that it can replace my large autoloader MC.

Just a quick question:
Do human techbroker weapons deal damage against thargoids (not scouts, the real interceptors)?
I was interested in the shock cannon since the original 3.0 beta, and want to give it a spin,
now that it can replace my large autoloader MC.

that was answered already a few posts earlier
no, they dont

Just subbed out my C2 Railgun and C2 Missile Rack for 2 x C2 Shard Cannon, for taking on human ships.

Not too shabby... one of those twinned shots up close knocks about 10% hull off (86->76ish, just before I collide). It could be that it's coupled with Thermal/Corrosive rounds to increase damage, but hey, meets my needs, so I'll stick with it.

[video=youtube;SramvY94km8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SramvY94km8[/video]

I will shamelessly copy that load-out. Thanks.

Here's the current full build: https://s.orbis.zone/jup

Note, you'll probably find some.... perculiarities that don't stick with the status quo e.g "Sturdy Mount" on the MCs, the 5A Guardian Hybrid PP rather than something C7, or the 6A sensors. These are all just peculiarities of me... also the last Class 2 Optional is empty. I put whatever i need in there (SRV, FSD Interdictor, or just overtank)

Does anyone tested if the corrosive secondary effect for multicannons has any effect on Thargoids? Just wondering if combining a corrosive multicannon with guardian tech is actually beneficial.

Does anyone tested if the corrosive secondary effect for multicannons has any effect on Thargoids? Just wondering if combining a corrosive multicannon with guardian tech is actually beneficial.

I am pretty sure engineered corrosive effect does nothing against Thargoids. It's been a time but I am 99,9% sure I tried to shoot some with this. I also had mining-lances to try if they are vulnarable with this :D

Nothing. They are not.

You need AX-weapons or Guardian weapons.

The exception are scouts of course. You can kill scouts with normal weapons.

Top Bottom