A Mercurial Circumnavigation

I'm trying to plot a route to this planet from the bubble and it keeps failing at about 75%
I don't remember there being any locked off regions that way.
I'm in a 25ly Cobra III, are there any big jumps needed?

I think 25ly is probably OK. I'm a bit high off of the galactic plane, almost into the neutron field, so I suspect the plotter is just having difficulty with large plots, passing through different star densities.

I'm trying to plot a route to this planet from the bubble and it keeps failing at about 75%
I don't remember there being any locked off regions that way.
I'm in a 25ly Cobra III, are there any big jumps needed?

I'm going to plot a shorter route and sort it when I get to the waypoint.

Edit: EDSM can plot a route so I'm happier now.
Hope I get there before you finish!

This is interesting. I had issues with the route plotter coming in from Colonia direction. I could plot to systems right next door, but not this one sometimes. Even when I was less than 4000ly away, it struggled. I am in a 68ly AspX.

circumnavigation-banner.jpg

Last night's progress was pretty good. I covered a lot of ground, with wide open spaces that let you open up the throttle and just go. I didn't see many large craters or mountains on this leg of the journey, just lots of wide open desert. The sun is now noticeably behind me too. I've now covered a total of 100 degrees, ending at 0, 171. For this leg, I switched to my other blue SRV.

More wrecks, plus a parked NPC AspX that was right next to a crashed fighter:

2018-10-08%2022-24-25%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_1.jpg

2018-10-08%2023-53-29%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-08%2023-58-48%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_1.jpg

2018-10-09%2000-06-05%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_2.jpg

2018-10-09%2000-06-49%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-09%2001-42-58%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

Seas of red:

2018-10-08%2022-40-29%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-09%2001-13-46%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

The sun in splendor:

(as seen from the Krait's cockpit, docking for the "night")

2018-10-09%2004-28-02%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-09%2004-28-06%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

------------------------------------

Also, Straha dropped by. A very welcome diversion from just driving across the barren deserts on this side of the planet! :)

Some high-speed flyovers:

2018-10-09%2003-42-21%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

Driving around, and general shenanigans:

2018-10-09%2003-47-13%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-09%2003-47-31%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_1.jpg

2018-10-09%2003-55-29%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

2018-10-09%2003-55-39%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

And a whole bunch of tire tracks in this fun little crater:

2018-10-09%2004-00-43%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_1.jpg

Comparing orange SRVs, after I switched into my Halloween SRV (it's orange with Halloween decals from last year):

2018-10-09%2004-09-22%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1_1.jpg

2018-10-09%2004-22-55%20Smojeia%20LI-E%20c14-1.jpg

This is interesting. I had issues with the route plotter coming in from Colonia direction. I could plot to systems right next door, but not this one sometimes. Even when I was less than 4000ly away, it struggled. I am in a 68ly AspX.

Aha, not just me then.

Edit: Just selected a system on the galactic plane below this one and it plots fine.

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun visiting!

Definately a different feeling being the visitor. We did not wing up because I wanted to actually manually locate Cmdr Orvidius. I knew he was driving along the equator, and based on his description of where the sun was, I was able to locate him fairly quickly. Interesting note was that his SRV did not show on my ships radar, so him turning on his high beam lights helped as well.

[video=youtube_share;gVIU9cyJPr8]https://youtu.be/gVIU9cyJPr8[/video]​

AWXTA1X.png

y2VHL07.jpg

6M70Urx.png

EX4tk1V.png

UixxAUW.jpg

I'm sure you noticed that my screenshots look a lot brighter than the environment did on the planet. I've been having to brighten up my screenshots considerably.

Something that I don't fully understand is the lighting model that ED currently uses. I remember FDev saying something about having favored a more realistic light level, but the new lighting system coming in Q4 is instead favoring looking good.

But I'm not sure what "realism" results in the dark images that we are recording on this planet, when it's only about 10.7 (or thereabouts) lightseconds from the star. It's a "K" class star, so it's not super bright, but the planet is over a thousand degrees in surface temperature due to being less than 11 ls away, and this last day's screenshots were all close to "high noon" with the sun overhead. :D

EDIT: And this hot little planet still iced up my canopy, when I was looking up at the sun! Hah! :D :eek:

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun visiting!

Definately a different feeling being the visitor. We did not wing up because I wanted to actually manually locate Cmdr Orvidius. I knew he was driving along the equator, and based on his description of where the sun was, I was able to locate him fairly quickly. Interesting note was that his SRV did not show on my ships radar, so him turning on his high beam lights helped as well.

Yes, that's when you realise how really small an SRV is on a planet, when you try to find one.

I did this when Alec Turner was doing his run and gave him a big surprise as he didn't know I was coming.
His lights helped me and he had just recalled his ship. Five minutes later and I would have missed him altogether.

Finally figured out why my video recording was misbehaving. It needed to be at 45 FPS or higher or else it would mess up the VR framerate.

The advantages of low gravity:

[video=youtube;BYnznvH4Ll8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYnznvH4Ll8[/video]

Some more driving and jumping. It's great having the ground disappear underneath you, and still be confident that the thrusters can save you. :)

[video=youtube;okwCqKr4Y54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwCqKr4Y54[/video]

I hate low gravity in SRV.. I prefer a good grip rather then bouncing like a ball ;)

I used to feel the same way, until I started getting a feel for this. Gliding over the terrain is absolutely wonderful. :D

Some more driving and jumping. It's great having the ground disappear underneath you, and still be confident that the thrusters can save you. :)

Gliding over the terrain is absolutely wonderful. :D

Totally agree, I absolutely adore the sensation (got your videos cued up to watch on the way home tonight).

You guys are right.. just realized that this is not really flying/gliding that I do not like.. considering that I used SRV for material collection so far, it's the thing how mats would float for "hours" in low gravity worlds before you can catch'em :) I really like the idea of planetary circumnavigation but knowing me, I'd probably find the biggest possible planet to do this :D

You guys are right.. just realized that this is not really flying/gliding that I do not like.. considering that I used SRV for material collection so far, it's the thing how mats would float for "hours" in low gravity worlds before you can catch'em :) I really like the idea of planetary circumnavigation but knowing me, I'd probably find the biggest possible planet to do this :D

Yeah, but half the fun with that is trying and catching them before they hit the ground :D

circumnavigation-banner.jpg

Aristarchus of Samos

Aristarchus was considerably ahead of his time. While he preceded Ptolemy, he is among the earliest to propose a heliocentric view, in which the Earth orbits the Sun. His ideas were rejected in favor of the incorrect geocentric models of Aristotle and Ptolemy, for centuries.

Unfortunately much of his writings were lost. However Archimmedes references his works and describes his heliocentric ideas. Nicolaus Copernicus, who is credited with formalizing a heliocentric view of the solar system, also credits Aristarchus as the originator of the heliocentric theory.

In addition to this, Aristarchus also correctly suspected that the stars were other suns, and that they were far enough away to have no observable parallax. This was unprovable at the time, since Stellar Parallax is only detectable with telescopes.

Ironically, the only surviving work attributed to Aristarchus uses geometry to calculate the size and distance to the sun and the moon, in a geocentric view. His calculations were incorrect due to the lack of precision in the measurements he had access to, but his geometry was sound. The descriptions from Archimedes of his other works show that he had better numbers and calculations at other times, and his surviving work isn't the best example.

Aristarchus_working.jpg

Totally agree, I absolutely adore the sensation (got your videos cued up to watch on the way home tonight).

It started giving me flashbacks of skiing in the Tribes games (Starseige Tribes, Tribes 2). Sometimes I would just ski away in some direction and see how long I could keep it up, touching the ground as little as possible.

It started giving me flashbacks of skiing in the Tribes games (Starseige Tribes, Tribes 2). Sometimes I would just ski away in some direction and see how long I could keep it up, touching the ground as little as possible.

Actually I'm a skier in real life (with a penchant for getting off the beaten track) and bounding across vast tumbling landscapes in the SRV is the closest I've come to the mental sensation (if not the physical one) of actually being there.

Actually I'm a skier in real life (with a penchant for getting off the beaten track) and bounding across vast tumbling landscapes in the SRV is the closest I've come to the mental sensation (if not the physical one) of actually being there.

I don't ski in real life, but I know the mental sensation you're speaking of. I've been able to get tastes of it in the real world too when I used to ride horses (I took lessons when I was a teen) and would go into a fast gallop, and let the horse jump over logs and streams and the like.

Tribes had something special, as far as games go. I always look for the aerial or semi-aerial things that can be done in games.

As an aside: Tribes had jetpacks that would allow for extended jumps, but couldn't stay in the air for long. It took a lot of practice and skill to manage your jetpack energy, to stay up as long as you could, while touching the ground only for another jump without losing much speed. You would typically aim for a downward slope to land on, so you could get a gravity assist. Here's an example from youtube (normally you would play in first person, but it had a 3rd person camera too):

[video=youtube;8DV2JMS_Gm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DV2JMS_Gm8[/video]

Last edited:
Well, sticking with the slightly off-topic for a second, the simplest form of this is probably tiny wings.

[video=youtube_share;x6pT_2E5xI0]https://youtu.be/x6pT_2E5xI0[/video]

When you can get into a rythmn that allows you to use and play with the undulations of the passing landscape it's very satisfying.

Top Bottom