Ariel circumnavigation

I have never tried that ship trick. Is it not frowned upon when doing a circumnavigation?

Well, it's not like you're actually getting IN the ship, and all it can do is boost you straight up and not actually carry you anywhere so yeah, I reckon as an emergency measure it's fine.

Damn, that's worrying...

The best option I've seen in this thread so far may be this screenshot from Florenus ..

lynmx9zd3e6ukaazg.jpg

I might see if I can find that and drive it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
I did got out of that big canyon.
This was more or less road I took:
vr5f2xo0ye61ye3zg.jpg
compared to original plan i did my drive down on the opposite side of that promontory, as it seemed more gentle:
66o06f79t237b65zg.jpg

The climb looks easy when you're there
d8gnvzq5yyr87atzg.jpg
although in reality its 45 or 50 degrees all the time and engine sounds like it's going to die
5abp6f4q9ie4iihzg.jpg
so I did a lot of "zigzagging" on my way up
448pj8a9vb1n23ozg.jpg

e3up0j8u9scxxw1zg.jpg

Also, I must say, that after doing that bit I have much, much (much, much) more appreciation of the challenge behind circumnavigating the whole moon.
Jonas, you're true explorer and inspiration :)

Thanks for the kind words. It's highly unlikely I would make it without the help of yourself and Alec...

@Alec @Florenus
Can you guys confirm that the northern area of Ariel is always in the daylight? I have not yet seen any nighttime pictures from you guys so it might be that due to the tilt and being tidally locked, that specific area is always in the light. I doubt if I can cross it during nighttime. The last canyon I crossed was in the dark and it was quite horrendous. It didn't look half as bad as what you guys have shown here...

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. It's highly unlikely I would have made without the help of yourself and Alec...

@Alec @Florenus
Can you guys confirm that the northern area of Ariel is always in the daylight? I have not yet seen any nighttime pictures from you guys so it might be that due to the tilt and being tidally locked, that specific area is always in the light. I doubt if I can cross it during nighttime. The last canyon I crossed was in the dark and it was quite horrendous. It didn't look half as bad as what you guys have shown here...

It's certainly been gloomy (see some of my earlier posts: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...umnavigation?p=7113015&viewfull=1#post7113015) but full dark I don't know about.

Wow, this place looks brutal! My circumnavigation was a walk in the park compared to this. I could go "fliving" around the whole planet.

Can you guys confirm that the northern area of Ariel is always in the daylight?

It certainly got brighter since I did those first shots yesterday and keeps that way. Not sure for how long, although I believe it might never get completely dark here.

I just flew over the southernmost narrow canyon to show you how it looks like.
The middle:
ixizka975lme022zg.jpg
and the more accesible western side (coordinates are on the pic)
ep92kh0a31raqn7zg.jpg

After that I flew over to check the other side of the big canyon, just to be sure we're not missing some opportunity.
94ai0h6nbm5ba7dzg.jpg
Doesn't look friendly at all.

Last edited:
A trip within a trip, a circumnavigation within a circumnavigation... it's all here on the Planet of Fun!! I had to drive around this inconspicuous looking canyon as upon inspection it was just not at all crossable. I had to go from 160 East to 172 East, so that's another 120 kilometers to the tally. If I look at the system map and the actual pictures of it, I can't begin to imagine what that big canyon further north will be like. Anyhoo... I had to make a choice, east or west around this baby and I choose east just by peeking with the outside camera and the route east looked easier. Hardly any bumps just easy drivable plains. And indeed it was easy enough to go around it. Towards the end the canyon just disappeared into a easily crossable gully.

Sx4nyfh.jpg

Oh... deeeeeeeep and steeeeep :-o
DDQIGp6.jpg

Can we jump yet?
3Gf7mkP.jpg

Edit: Yeah, jumping was considered many times but the chances of getting out alive were slim at best. The bottom was flat enough but more or less disappeared as the canyon carried on eastward. I guess that a couple of kilometers towards its end I could have chanced it but it was so narrow towards the bottom, I would never have gotten out in case I would screw up the jump. So no...

Last edited:
Heretical thought, perhaps, but if you continued East a little longer, then headed North, you would have bypassed the head of the canyon of Doom, and been able to hand-rail it's Northern edge until you got to the latitude you wanted to be at to continue your circumnavigation back to the starting spot. :)

Edit: Yeah, jumping was considered many times but the chances of getting out alive were slim at best. The bottom was flat enough but more or less disappeared as the canyon carried on eastward. I guess that a couple of kilometers towards it end I could have chanced it but it was so narrow towards the bottom, I would never have gotten out in case I would screw up the jump. So no...

wait a minute... you're telling me it can be jumped over? I must admit that I wasn't considering this technique when doing reconnaissance...

Heretical thought, perhaps, but if you continued East a little longer, then headed North, you would have bypassed the head of the canyon of Doom, and been able to hand-rail it's Northern edge until you got to the latitude you wanted to be at to continue your circumnavigation back to the starting spot. :)

Nooooooooooooooooo... I'm heading for the Big Tamale, the Canyon of Doom!!!

:)

A trip within a trip, a circumnavigation within a circumnavigation... it's all here on the Planet of Fun!! I had to drive around this inconspicuous looking canyon as upon inspection it was just not at all crossable. I had to go from 160 East to 172 East, so that's another 120 kilometers to the tally. If I look at the system map and the actual pictures of it, I can't begin to imagine what that big canyon further north will be like. Anyhoo... I had to make a choice, east or west around this baby and I choose east just by peeking with the outside camera and the route east looked easier. Hardly any bumps just easy drivable plains. And indeed it was easy enough to go around it. Towards the end the canyon just disappeared into a easily crossable gully.

Oh... deeeeeeeep and steeeeep :-o

Can we jump yet?

Edit: Yeah, jumping was considered many times but the chances of getting out alive were slim at best. The bottom was flat enough but more or less disappeared as the canyon carried on eastward. I guess that a couple of kilometers towards its end I could have chanced it but it was so narrow towards the bottom, I would never have gotten out in case I would screw up the jump. So no...

OK - if I were you I think I'd head right a bit to get an easier route over the next canyon.

Y9TVWuz.jpg

As for the two close/parallel canyons after that, well - I managed to get over them so it's definitely possible. See this post for a reminder of my route:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...umnavigation?p=7113288&viewfull=1#post7113288

And as for the final BIG canyon, all I can say is ...

2yII5iS.jpg

wait a minute... you're telling me it can be jumped over? I must admit that I wasn't considering this technique when doing reconnaissance...

Well, sometimes you can jump a canyon but the conditions must be VERY right. The side you jump from must be considerably higher than your target side and there has to be a sloping run up to the departure point so one can build enough speed.

Earlier I considered an air bridge (we did one on the Crab Nebula Expedition, if I remember correctly) with big broad ships (like a Python) and hop from ship to ship. As fun as it would have been, it was flagged down as not being in spirit with a circumnavigation, and rightly so.

So, not to worry. The chances we find a suitable jump point are very slim and I'm not sure I'm willing to bet the trip on it :)

Top Bottom