Engineers Fuel Scoops - what Shielding does for Fuel Scoops?

Shielded mods (all of them) increase the integrity figure of the modified unit. So in this case you increase the integrity of the fuel scoop but at the cost of increasing the power the scoop uses.

Basically, for the fuel scoop it is just a waste of engineering materials as far as I am concerned. ;)

I don't think you need to worry about shields for fuel scooping but you do need to be aware of ship overheating.

Power hungry shields on a limited powerplant / distributor will tend to cause ship overheating, so ironically smaller shielding will help when fuel scooping (shields are good for otrhere reasons though!). A larger scoop tends also to mitigate heat problems.

I tend to give my fuel scoops the Shielded 1 modification. It increases power consumption slightly and increases the integrity of the fuel scoop - more to put my mind at ease than anything else.

shields.jpg

Shields? Plural? Seems a little confusing as it suggests that the ship's shields are also improved. No change in ship shield strength when adding/removing an engineered Fuel Scoop. Also suggests that integrity is all about shielding versus armour. Anyway it uses easy to find mats and when you have hundreds why not.

With my class 6 grade 4 scoop integrity goes up 240 percent while power goes 80 percent. That is 1.49MW whch is easily taken care of.

Still...You're 300LY from the nearest station and some ship takes out your Fuel Scoop. With a full tank you can only jump 200LY without one. Hope you have the Fuel Rats on speed dial. For an Explorer also having a shielded AFMU seems appropriate.

Last edited:
Thanks Hooplah, that makes sense

Shields? Plural? Seems a little confusing as it suggests that the ship's shields are also improved. No change in ship shield strength when adding/removing an engineered Fuel Scoop. Also suggests that integrity is all about shielding versus armour. Anyway it uses easy to find mats and when you have hundreds why not.

With my class 6 grade 4 scoop integrity goes up 240 percent while power goes 80 percent. That is 1.49MW whch is easily taken care of.

Still...You're 300LY from the nearest station and some ship takes out your Fuel Scoop. With a full tank you can only jump 200LY without one. Hope you have the Fuel Rats on speed dial. For an Explorer also having a shielded AFMU seems appropriate.

300 ly? I was thinking of a trip that would take me 11,300 ly (and some) from a repair station.
And yes, it's a tourist site, so does attract 'undesirable attention' (I've been caught by NPC 'rescue' ships near a black hole before now).
The added integrity would be invaluable on such a trip.

Added power comes at a cost in weight, with implications for jump range, and thus number of jumps - so there is a trade-off to be considered with low powered ships (LPS).
I generally power off the cargo scoop and AFMUs on my LPSs, but even then it can be marginal.

Last edited:
It would be useful if you have a fuelscoop on your combat build and want to mitigate some damage from people sniping your fuel scoop (who does that ?) or to have more integrity so it soaks up more damage from heat in an exploration build. All in all, it's only ever useful in edge cases so you can safely ignore it until FD implements a "lightweight" fuel scoop :D
(Or a faster scoop speed modification !)

if some player/npc take out your fuel scoop, the last thing you should worry is your fuel scoop, since the rest of the ship will be in a even worse shape IF there is any ship left [big grin]

Most PvP'ers i know always target the Fuel Scoop first, so get the best Integrity you can ;)

I was ganked the other day and they sniped my fuel scoop for some reason. Imagine my surprise that I forgot to remove the fuel scoop from my combat build before leaving the station. That'll learn me. Doh. Fuel scoops.

Top Bottom